Cheer on Jordan Howard

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Howard's performance may change the Bears 6th rd pick to a fifth.

https://beargoggleson.com/2019/11/27/ch ... ade-draft/
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'll definitely take a 5 over a 6.

But I'd be rooting for him, regardless.
Good kid, good talent, good story.
It's a shame how the Bears got his career off-track.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 pm I'll definitely take a 5 over a 6.

they got his career of track by thinking they didn't need him, or anyone like him ... he isn't gadgety enough to suit the Bears plans

what is the best way to help a struggling offensive line? run a base pound it at you running game ... no time to think or adjust ... simply fire off at the snap and drive the guy nearest you as far off the line as you can and let the RB make a cut to get to the hole ... instead, the Bears run motion plays towards the hole and then compound it by having a guard pull in the same direction while handing off to a munckin who wants to run 30 yards sideways before even thinking of going upfield

I'm happy for Howard that he got to leave and show he can be productive
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:24 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:48 pm I'll definitely take a 5 over a 6.

they got his career of track by thinking they didn't need him, or anyone like him ... he isn't gadgety enough to suit the Bears plans

what is the best way to help a struggling offensive line? run a base pound it at you running game ... no time to think or adjust ... simply fire off at the snap and drive the guy nearest you as far off the line as you can and let the RB make a cut to get to the hole ... instead, the Bears run motion plays towards the hole and then compound it by having a guard pull in the same direction while handing off to a munckin who wants to run 30 yards sideways before even thinking of going upfield

They didn't and still don't "need" him. In 2019 no one needs Legarrette Blount. It's okay to have one. But a guy who can't play passing downs due to his ineptitude in blocking and receiving is one dimensional. Replaceable. How much difference has he made on that Philly team? None.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:41 pm
Boris13c wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:24 pm

They didn't and still don't "need" him. In 2019 no one needs Legarrette Blount. It's okay to have one. But a guy who can't play passing downs due to his ineptitude in blocking and receiving is one dimensional. Replaceable. How much difference has he made on that Philly team? None.

I respectfully disagree, and will never accept a munchkin gadget back as a proper replacement for him
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:20 am
Richie wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:41 pm

I respectfully disagree, and will never accept a munchkin gadget back as a proper replacement for him
David Montgomery is a gadget back? He's a downhill power back. lol. You would have to be blind not to see how hard he runs, the tackles he breaks and how he always falls forward. He absorbs and works through contact as good as anyone out there. When has David Montgomery tried to run around anyone? When have we used him on "gadget" plays?

In what world does being able to pass block and catch the ball make you a "gadget"?

Cohen, sure. Call him a gadget.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Monty is about as pure of a RB as one could hope for. If only we hadn't traded Jordan Howard we'd have a monster tandem that a HC who knows what a running game is could utilize with unreal effectiveness and the defense (which is already really good) would only get better as a result. It also would help things with Mitch.

Trading Jordan Howard and the way Nagy "manages" the running game have been absolute disasters.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 am
Boris13c wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:20 am

David Montgomery is a gadget back? He's a downhill power back. lol. You would have to be blind not to see how hard he runs, the tackles he breaks and how he always falls forward. He absorbs and works through contact as good as anyone out there. When has David Montgomery tried to run around anyone? When have we used him on "gadget" plays?

In what world does being able to pass block and catch the ball make you a "gadget"?

and I wasn't referring to Montgomery because Montgomery is not the primary starting RB ... Cohen is

ergo, Nagy replaced Howard with Cohen

Richie wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 amCohen, sure. Call him a gadget.
which is what I was doing
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:41 pm They didn't and still don't "need" him. In 2019 no one needs Legarrette Blount. It's okay to have one. But a guy who can't play passing downs due to his ineptitude in blocking and receiving is one dimensional. Replaceable. How much difference has he made on that Philly team? None.
Ineptitude in blocking? Have you watched Howard play? He's an excellent blocker with the power and strength to stonewall blitzers.

He's been a solid contributor to the Eagles offense, consistently gaining yards and scoring TDs. 23.5% of his runs have gone for first downs. He's missed the last two games due to injury (both losses), but in his 9 games he has scored 7 TDs (one on a reception) and only twice has he averaged 3.5 ypc or less. For the season overall he's averaging a healthy 4.4 ypc. His last season with Bears he managed a lacklustre 3.7 ypc.

Meanwhile Montgomery, the hand-picked choice to replace him, has played 12 games and in 9 of them he's averaged 3.5 ypc or less. In 7 of them he averaged 3 ypc or less! On the year he's averaging 3.5 ypc, less than Howard managed last year and almost a yard less per carry than Howard's averaging in Philadelphia this year. Only 19.8% of his runs have resulted in a first down. He's not exactly lighting it up in the pass game either, averaging a couple of catches a game for a mundane 7.5 yards per reception.

That's not a knock on Montgomery though. It just highlights that the problem with the Bears running game wasn't Jordan Howard., which was the narrative all of last season.

I for one was sorry to see him go. For $2m this year he was well worth keeping. They paid Davis more and he contributed nothing and didn't even last the season.
WP.1
Player of the Month

maybe this year bad luck all around.

Howard now 3 games out probably another game.

last game was... vs. Bears
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

What are the odds philly did the math and this was on purpose?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that injury is probably going to cost us the bump.

Gotta be legit, though. They're in a tooth and nail battle for the division and couldn't sit a player that could be helping them.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Idk. Howard is good but so is sanders.

5 weeks on a stinger seems not to be legit. Or they haven’t been up front about the injury.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Trading a guy who averaged 1000 yards + his first 3 seasons made about as much sense as trading a top notch tight end to the Carolina Panthers because Bear coaches couldn't figure out how to use them.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.