Mitch Trubisky & General Quarterback Banter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

sabrtuth
Rookie

I agree with what Boris13c posted on 11/27. In addition to playing "robotically"... I rarely see Mitch go thru receiver progressions...he seems to focus/lock in on the play's primary receiver and doesn't look around for other options (which defenses pick up on) . He also doesn't get out of the pocket or scramble enough (residual affect of past injuries?). I've been a supporter of Mitch since he was drafted but I'm starting to lose that faith. Maybe having his 1st 300+ yard game will be a start to an improving Mitch?

I'm also not too thrilled with the offensive play calling/coordinator....way too basic/predictable. Hard to beat defenses this way.

I'm here in TX so I have to keep hearing how good Dak Prescott is as a 4th round draft pick on local radio/TV. He's got the stats I wish Mitch had.
D/FW media rips Mitch and the Bears constantly...saying they're terrible/they suck, etc. etc...
NOT! Please BEAT the S**T out of the Cowboys on Thursday 12/5, Go Bears!
BR0D1E86
MVP

sabrtuth wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm
I'm here in TX so I have to keep hearing how good Dak Prescott is as a 4th round draft pick on local radio/TV. He's got the stats I wish Mitch had.
D/FW media rips Mitch and the Bears constantly...saying they're terrible/they suck, etc. etc...
NOT! Please BEAT the S**T out of the Cowboys on Thursday 12/5, Go Bears!
It's fair to be critical of everything about this team. The combined records of the teams in the Bears victories are 21-45-2. Without that one game against the 8-3 Vikings it's 13-42.

It's what you're supposed to do, beat bad teams. But also not encouraging that they can go on some kind of run either.

This will be an interesting stretch for Mitch. I thought the first half against Detroit was more of the same. Other than one throw in the second half he was real good. But there aren't many defenses that bad for him to feast on. He's got to prove he can do something against a non-bottom feeder defense.
G08
Hall of Famer

A little look inside into how Trubisky is on the field and on the sidelines

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/mitc ... p-vs-lions
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

sabrtuth wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm I agree with what Boris13c posted on 11/27. In addition to playing "robotically"... I rarely see Mitch go thru receiver progressions...he seems to focus/lock in on the play's primary receiver and doesn't look around for other options (which defenses pick up on) .
How much of that it is result of an ineffective run game coupled with sporadic pass blocking? The Bears inability to consistently gain decent yardage on first down has meant an awful lot of 2nd/3rd and longs. Opponents then come after Trubisky and the offensive line frequently fails to give him time to go through his progressions. I suspect that's a big reason why Trubisky has shown a tendency to lock on to his first read; he doesn't expect to have time to do anything else.

Against the Lions, it was noticeably different. The run game got going, there were more 3rd and 5 rather than 3rd and 9+ and the pass protection was better. Trubisky threw two TDs to players who were not his first read.

Sort out the issues around him and I still have hope that he can develop. It doesn't have to be perfect, it never will be, but he's combatting his own issues as well as issues with every other position group at the same time. The o-line has been awful, the TEs have been a disaster, the RBs have struggled to gain yards, WRs haven't been running the correct routes and everyone has been dropping passes galore.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Matt Waldman likes to talk about degrees of accuracy on passes and so I’ve been watching Mitch critically in this area. I’d say he still has only “general” accuracy. All game receivers were leaping to make catches, so while I was much happier with his decision making I am still skeptical about his ability to reproduce the numbers he put up. Over and over I come back to the conclusion that he’s an average qb with some above average traits. TBD if that’s enough for the bears to win consistently with this roster and coaching staff. I’m excited for these next few games to find out
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Please no. One is 40+, the other is a pup. One is a 6 time Super Bowl champ, one has not sniffed it yet.

This is just wrong. I pay no credence to this comparison at all.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:09 pm
I love that on so many levels.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

as someone who lives in new england and has been listening to locals talk about how horrid the NE offense is all year... that looks about right.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My current feeling on Biscuit is this...

Will he develop into a QB capable of winning a SBowl? Yes. Is he there now? No. Will he become a top tier QB? Possible, but unlikely. Will he become better than Case Keenum? Probably. Alex Smith is a good guess. He's just going to be one of those long learning curve guys who is going to take 5 years for the game to slow down for him. That he's so single minded with high character and leadership capabilities is a big reason why he will continue to progress and management loves him.

Will he reach his peak with the Chicago Bears? Yes, because Ryan Pace has a vested interest in supporting him and lacks the resources to make a big move in another direction. It's just a question of how long will it take and what will the defense look like as time moves forward two or three or four years down the road. And that will still be with Matt Nagy driving the boat.

The Bears have a conservative, "slow and steady wins the race" management philosophy and that will be reflected in their handling of Mitchell Trubisky.

Buckle up. It's going to be a long road with Biscuit and Nagy. It will be interesting to see what our division looks like once Aaron Rodgers retires.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think Alex Smith as a ceiling is a fair comp (though disappointing). I tend to think of Smith as a hyper accurate risk averse quarterback and I very much do not think of Trubisky as accurate on anything beyond about 10-15 yards, but Smith really want even all that accurate right out of the gate.

You can win with that guy, you just need to not over pay him. His next contact, assuming it's here, is going to be monstrously important.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Trubisky had accuracy at one point. I think his issue is more mechanics as a result of mental breakdowns. Which is kinda understandable when you watch tape of Leno and Massie this season. I'm holding out hope for this guy to show up again and shut the sports media world up for a few days anyways.

BR0D1E86
MVP

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm Trubisky had accuracy at one point. I think his issue is more mechanics as a result of mental breakdowns. Which is kinda understandable when you watch tape of Leno and Massie this season. I'm holding out hope for this guy to show up again and shut the sports media world up for a few days anyways.

He had the same issues with his mechanics last session when the offensive line was considered one of the best in the league, so I think blaming his issues with mechanics on his offensive line this season would be short sighted and wouldn't fix the real issues.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm not blaming his mechanics on his o-line. I'm blaming them on brain-farts. Then said I can understand why when watching the tackles (this would be a reason.... not the reason). I'm not putting this 100% on the tackles. But it is next to impossible to evaluate anybody when their teammates are shitting the bed all around them.
G08
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:23 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 pm Trubisky had accuracy at one point. I think his issue is more mechanics as a result of mental breakdowns. Which is kinda understandable when you watch tape of Leno and Massie this season. I'm holding out hope for this guy to show up again and shut the sports media world up for a few days anyways.

He had the same issues with his mechanics last session when the offensive line was considered one of the best in the league, so I think blaming his issues with mechanics on his offensive line this season would be short sighted and wouldn't fix the real issues.
There's a lot more that goes into it than just what we see on TV. Did the WR run the correct route at the right depth? How was the pocket / how were the QB's feet? He looked great in that video you posted because, obviously, he didn't have 300 lbs angry men coming to rip his head off.

I've seen it with Brady. When he's getting hit he gets pissed at his line and jumpy. Cost his team a Super Bowl one year. But you protect him consistently and make him feel confident in the pocket and he will carve your ass up.

IE
Hall of Famer

No - all the mistakes and imperfections can't be all on everyone else, and only to the benefit of one person. There is no such thing as "he's accurate, except when normal things happen in a game to make him inaccurate". There's no award for "best performance over (you pick the number to your own convenience) X games". Context matters. Trends and quality of opponents matter.

Universally, the princess QB doesn't get a perfect pocket or perfect time to set his feet perfectly, or a receiver able to be at the perfect depth, or a defense that totally cooperates by presenting perfect reads. All this stuff happens to all QBs, in real games. So one guy doesn't get excuses for it when the others don't. The only thing that matters is results. Did he adjust and have the talent and wit to make the pass in spite of the challenges? Did he give his teammates an opportunity in spite of his challenges and theirs?

This next 4 game stretch will tell us a LOT about Mitch Trubisky. No bums. Two NFCN opponents in playoff position. A potential need to shoot-out with a future GOAT. Dallas IS the most bum-like of the group, given their record this season as bum slayers themselves. IF Mitch is going to follow through with performances against these next 4 teams like he did (and was EXPECTED to) against the 3 bums in the past 4 games, it starts tonight.

I'm 90% confident I've been right about him since early in the season. I'm 10% hopeful that he'll become more than "pretty far below average". And I'm 100% Bear fan.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:43 pm
Sweet, good for him!

G08
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:53 pm I'm not blaming his mechanics on his o-line. I'm blaming them on brain-farts. Then said I can understand why when watching the tackles (this would be a reason.... not the reason). I'm not putting this 100% on the tackles. But it is next to impossible to evaluate anybody when their teammates are shitting the bed all around them.
The biggest improvement I've seen from him is the timing of his drops and getting the ball out in rhythm. You see this time and time again in the Lions game. He liked what he saw pre-snap, stood in the pocket with courage, had confidence in his reads and threw the ball with conviction.

I want to see more of the same tonight, and if he gets to his second hitch, get the hell out of dodge and gain some yards with your feet.

UOK
Site Admin

Mitch is looking like he’s brand new.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:00 pm Mitch is looking like he’s brand new.
It's almost as if being patient with a young QB in a complex offense pays off...

Also:

FUCK YEAH!!!

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Trubisky just gave the middle finger to most of the know it all talking heads around the country. Bravo Mitch!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
docc
Head Coach

Mr Trubisky became a MAN today.. Played in confidence in HIS fashion..move..threat with legs..accurate timely throws..
I am a happy guy
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 pm Trubisky just gave the middle finger to most of the know it all talking heads around the country. Bravo Mitch!
I agree but you're already hearing the idiots say it was against Dallas (like they didn't have a top 10 D and #1 offense).

I just hope he keeps it up he's shown glimpses of this type of QB play I always said he needs to string together games and build on that confidence hopefully this is what happens.

Happy for him he deserves it...

Edit:

I wanted to add props to Nagy he called a nearly flawless game. I've been hard on him but the last 2 games he's been pretty damn good.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nagy letting Mitch be Mitch. What took him so fucking long? I think he can even do better if allowed to use his legs more.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Nagy called a great game, aside from that stupid ass ill advised wildcat fuck up. I about died when he called that.

Mitch balled out, bailed out the team after the fumble, TE's produced, WR's produced, RB's produced.

No midget series and only one gadget play, hmmm, sounds like what everyone has been calling for.

Taylor Gabriel was the cause of all ill's in the offense. He's out and everything works.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:02 am Nagy letting Mitch be Mitch. What took him so fucking long? I think he can even do better if allowed to use his legs more.
:thumbsup: Yep!
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
Knuckles
Player of the Month

@southdakbearfan Yeah that play was one of those "Nagy" plays I guess we have to expect each week. It would've been interesting to see what happens though if Miller (I believe?) makes that block.

As far as Gabrielle I don't think he will be here next year...
G08
Hall of Famer