WAB's Bears Mock - UPDATE

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Edit: Updated to reflect Trey Smith returning to Tennessee

R2 – Josh Jones, OT, Houston
Having seen him in person, he's listed way bigger than he is. Almost looks like a tight end or a power forward. Incredibly athletic and has good natural power for how slight his frame is. For all of his mesmerizing athletic gifts, his technique is absolute garbage - right now he's just an athlete getting in the way of blockers. But he's coachable and has loads of talent and natural ability. With both tackle positions seemingly set for 2020, Jones wouldn't have to be rushed into action right away. He's the type of athlete that could put up eye-popping metrics at the combine and vault himself into the top half of the first round.

R2 – Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon: 6’4 315
Lemieux is a devastating run blocker and is one of those plug and play types. He has a high football IQ and has excellent technique and incredible raw strength. He’s not super consistent or refined as a pass blocker, and is a little awkward when moving in in space. He’s a day one starter, but his run blocking is WAY ahead of his pass blocking at this point in his development.

R4 (Comp) – Patrick Jones, EDGE, Pittsburgh: 6’5 260
Incredible ability to convert speed to power. High motor guy who uses his length and hands well and has a wide array of moves and gets consistent pressure. Unfortunately that pressure doesn’t always translate to sack production. He’s a little stiff and doesn’t have much experience in dropping back in coverage. Would play the Aaron Lynch role and would give the Bears some versatility in sub packages.

R5 – Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida: 6’5 245
Super versatile and athletic. Prototypical move TE - USF used him all over the place. Good catch radius and is excellent at reading coverages. Runs routes with an understanding of timing and progressions. He’s a willing blocker, but that’s not something he’s ever going to be known for. Does have a problem with looking up field before securing the catch and doesn’t have great YAC stats – but that could be due to the nature of the routes he was asked to run in the Bulls offense.

R5 – Lamar Jackson, CB/S, Nebraska: 6’3 215
Similar to Jimmy Smith, who Pagano had in Baltimore, but not quite as athletic. Limited movement skills. Jackson is purely a zone player, you don’t want him in man coverage. Played corner for the Huskers, so he gives you options, but projects best as a safety in the NFL due to his physicality and tackling ability.

R5 – Khalil Tate, QB, Arizona: 6’2 215
Dynamic athlete with exciting arm talent. Has some wonderful off-schedule throws on film but isn’t consistently accurate when things aren’t falling apart around him. Willing to take risks that don’t always pay off, which is evident in his numbers. Isn’t always patient, and looks to tuck and run too quickly. Former Heisman hopeful who is an exciting developmental prospect that was handcuffed in Kevin Sumlin’s offense.

R6 – Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Florida: 6’2 205
Cleveland is a fun player to watch but needs a lot of work. He’s currently a one trick pony - strictly a vertical deep threat with limited experience running a full route tree. But if he gets a corner on a 9 route, it’s over. Would come in as a package player who would need some time and patience, but could be a steal.

R7 – Ty Chandler, RB, Tennessee: 5’11 205
Similar to Cleveland, he’s a situational player at this point. Good hands, good burst, and ok vision. He’s got some toughness to him and is willing to initiate contact but isn’t particularly built for inside running. He’d be a solid hedge against Cohen leaving after next season
UOK
Site Admin

Didn't get a good read of Tate's arm, but he looks like he has great vision as a ball carrier.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Why did you not like Mekhi Becton in round 2? Or what did you like about the other guys better? Becton is "my guy" in the 2nd round.

Otherwise I really like the strategy of 2 OL in the 2nd round. It's become a problem that we have to nuke it from space because its the only way to be sure.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm Why did you not like Mekhi Becton in round 2? Or what did you like about the other guys better? Becton is "my guy" in the 2nd round.

Otherwise I really like the strategy of 2 OL in the 2nd round. It's become a problem that we have to nuke it from space because its the only way to be sure.
Because I think Becton goes in R1 ;)
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I would be in heaven with that draft (love the 2 2nd round picks). I'm as big a UofA homer as I am a Bears homer, so I'll take Tate as our developmental QB all day long.
G08
Hall of Famer

Love it as always! I've got some work to do brushing up on a lot of these prospects.

Curious why you waited until round 5 for a TE... thinking we address the position in FA?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The last guard drafted from Oregon did pretty well. Solomon Kindley from Georgia is another possibility at guard. Of course, if they had given Bars a decent trial, we might not be having this discussion with a 2nd round pick. I like the TE from South Florida, he could be quite a sleeper. I'd be interested to see what Tate could produce in the right offense, looks like Sumlin pretty much misused him as much as possible.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:18 pm Love it as always! I've got some work to do brushing up on a lot of these prospects.

Curious why you waited until round 5 for a TE... thinking we address the position in FA?
Man, it's shaping up to be a bad TE class this year. There's talent, but it's rough.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:11 am
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:18 pm Love it as always! I've got some work to do brushing up on a lot of these prospects.

Man, it's shaping up to be a bad TE class this year. There's talent, but it's rough.
I like Cole Kmet, Brycen Hopkins and Hunter Bryant. Each had their own set of red flags but would immediately upgrade our talent at the position.

Still, I want us to get one of Hooper or Henry here in FA.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:49 am
wab wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:11 am
I like Cole Kmet, Brycen Hopkins and Hunter Bryant. Each had their own set of red flags but would immediately upgrade our talent at the position.

Still, I want us to get one of Hooper or Henry here in FA.
I just don't think there's room for two high priced TE's on the roster. Hooper and Henry are going to get like 10mil per. The rest of the FA tight end class is...underwhelming. Bunch of nobody's (the Bears have enough of those) and older guys like Tyler Eifert, Lance Kendricks, Nick Vannett, Benjamin Watson, and Darren Fells.

Maybe Blake Jarwin or David Wells if they aren't tendered. But they will probably be overpaid.

I think it'll be like the kicker "thing" in camp. Burton and like a 10 other random dudes. Shaheen is still on the roster for the moment, Horsted, Raymond, Saubert, Holtz, that basketball player... they will probably bring in two more cheap FA's and a draft pick and see what sticks.

The Bears are just kind of hamstrung when it comes to options.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Hooper would be a great pickup, but man, how much is he going to cost? He's pretty much the top TE in FA this year.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I'm curious why not CB or WR in the 2nd round, and wait for the second OL till later. Is that based on how your draft fell, or because you're prioritizing the second OL pick?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:14 pm I'm curious why not CB or WR in the 2nd round, and wait for the second OL till later. Is that based on how your draft fell, or because you're prioritizing the second OL pick?
Kinda just how the draft fell. Aside from lacking a speed element, I'm not seeing WR as a huge need. Plus WR is top heavy and there will be FA options. We are also assuming the Bears move on from Gabriel, which isn't certain.

As far as corner goes, it's just how it fell. Until they part ways with Prince, it's not a priority. Even if they do part with him, I like Toliver as a replacement. IMO safety is a bigger need, but it's not a great draft for them.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

It was announced today that Trey Smith is going back to school:

wab
Mod

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:23 pm It was announced today that Trey Smith is going back to school:

Yeah, I was worried about that.
UOK
Site Admin

Damn.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not surprised about Smith, he's got medical issues and might want another year to put them to rest. I'd hate to see the Bears use a pick on a RB, look at undrafted guys. Or give Nall a chance as the power back/change of pace guy or cut him. Or sign Jordan Howard to a 1 year prove-it deal and use him in this role.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 am Not surprised about Smith, he's got medical issues and might want another year to put them to rest. I'd hate to see the Bears use a pick on a RB, look at undrafted guys. Or give Nall a chance as the power back/change of pace guy or cut him. Or sign Jordan Howard to a 1 year prove-it deal and use him in this role.
Pace has drafted a RB in all but one year as GM.

And Howard is not going to fill the Cohen-ish role. Like, at all. He's also not coming back to the Bears.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:09 am Not surprised about Smith, he's got medical issues and might want another year to put them to rest. I'd hate to see the Bears use a pick on a RB, look at undrafted guys. Or give Nall a chance as the power back/change of pace guy or cut him. Or sign Jordan Howard to a 1 year prove-it deal and use him in this role.
Pace has drafted a RB in all but one year as GM.

And Howard is not going to fill the Cohen-ish role. Like, at all. He's also not coming back to the Bears.
For the right money, guys forget grudges. At least Nall or Howard can run up the gut better than a 5'6" buck 80 guy that Nagy keeps on insisting on running between the tackles. Pace does seem to like drafting RBs, tho. Wish he would take the same philosophy with other positions.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

My feeling has been that we can't plan to keep Gabriel here long term due to age and cost, and that Anthony Miller will never be trustworthy because of his injury status. Robinson is great but he's not a field stretcher and he's pretty expensive. Ridley is unknown but even if he is great he'll be very similar to Robinson. I see this deep WR class as an opportunity for the Bears to get a first round talent in the second round. I understand what you're saying regarding UDFAs but I see that more as an opportunity to get a good WR5 that can eventually be WR3.
xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 pm My feeling has been that we can't plan to keep Gabriel here long term due to age and cost, and that Anthony Miller will never be trustworthy because of his injury status. Robinson is great but he's not a field stretcher and he's pretty expensive. Ridley is unknown but even if he is great he'll be very similar to Robinson. I see this deep WR class as an opportunity for the Bears to get a first round talent in the second round. I understand what you're saying regarding UDFAs but I see that more as an opportunity to get a good WR5 that can eventually be WR3.
While I doubt they draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, I agree with your logic. Positional groups that are strong should be poached ar convenient spots. The drafted position vs talent level swings in your favor. Pace doesn't really operate that way. A draft strong in defense he skipped drafting any defense. A draft weak in edge rushers he jumps up to get one.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I love some of the WR talent, but if they can't get the line to actually play decently it won't matter if they have Jerry Rice, Rod Smith, Joey Galloway and Tim Brown in their prime out there.

2 picks should be spent early on offensive line.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:25 pm Why did you not like Mekhi Becton in round 2? Or what did you like about the other guys better? Becton is "my guy" in the 2nd round.

Becton and Jones are my two favorite tackles from this draft (so far). Becton's more will rounded and has an incredible hand punch that just devastates guys. But for some reason, he really likes throwing cross blocks. That's something that has to be cured as he goes pro. It's alright to do it every once in a while, but if you do it consistently in the NFL, you're going to end up getting yourself hurt.

Jones actually moves much better than Becton. I can't believe how athletic he is. He's not a very powerful blocker though, relying more on seal blocks. If possible, I'd love to grab both these guys.

The interior guy I really like is Ben Bredeson of Michigan, and I'm a huge Duck Fan. Lemeiux is good no doubt, but he also benefits from playing next to the best LT in college, Penei Sewell who's only a sophomore. It will be interesting to see these guys in the All Star games.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Jones may have moved himself into the first round with his showing at the Senior Bowl... he held up very well against the bigger named edge players.

I really like Uche, Anae and Trautman from what I saw during the senior bowl practices... don't let the stink of Shaheen keep you away from Trautman... he is a very solid route runner, on one rep he absolutely twisted Uche up and got completely free... and during the game itself he had at least two pancakes.

Uche could be an interesting pick because he could be slotted next to Smith in base packages and then moved down to the edge on passing downs.

Anae showed impressive moves and counters during the one on one drills...
G08
Hall of Famer

We are quarantined, sir! Where are the new @wab mock drafts!? :wink:

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's delaying because he doesn't want to crush your Reagor-at-43 hopes just yet
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I do appreciate these WAB
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm We are quarantined, sir! Where are the new @wab mock drafts!? :wink:
I will do this today :)
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:16 pm We are quarantined, sir! Where are the new @wab mock drafts!? :wink:
I will do this today :)