Free Agent Options: Offense

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I came up with two reasonably priced free agent options for each position. I'll start with the offense.

There's no marquee big-money signings on this list. It's a practical group of guys that the Bears can afford.

Also - this list mostly assumes the Bears don't retain their own FA's at each respective position. I also understand that positions like RB and WR aren't relatively big needs.

QB:
Case Keenum: Obvious if Shurmur comes to the Bears. His starting days are over, but in a pinch he can give you better than Chase Daniel, and at least give the Bears someone with experience.

Taysom Hill: I love this guy as a pure football player. He just makes plays, and he’d be great for the QB room. But if the Bears had to lean on him for an extended period of time they’d be in trouble.

RB
Kareem Hunt: Red flags aside, the fit is obvious. Not a need, but hey, who knows.

Spencer Ware: Again, fit is obvious.

WR
Phillip Dorsett: The Bears are pretty set at WR, but if they move on from Gabriel due to salary and health, Dorsett would fill that “burner” role.

Demarcus Robinson: Didn’t really blossom for the chiefs, but like Dorsett he would give the Bears a vertical element they lack (assuming Gabriel is no longer in the plans).

TE
Tyler Eifert: Has a long list of injuries over his career, but as a #2 TE in this offense, he could be a weapon. At 29, there’s still life left in him.

Blake Jarwin: This only works if the Cowboys give him the lowest tender or they don’t tender him at all. I watched him a lot at OSU, and really like his versatility.

OT
Andrus Peat: My dark horse “big” free agency signing. Powerful pass protector. Was forced inside due to injury and the fact that Armstead and Ramczyk are two of the best tackles in the NFL.

Germain Ifedi: Monster blocker that was overdrafted. Seattle wouldn’t leave him in one place, so he has experience at both tackle positions and both guard positions. Could be an interesting addition.

OG
Joe Thuney: Arguably the most consistent player on a below average Patriots OL. He might not make it to free agency, and he might get overpaid if he does, but he’s a good starting guard.

Connor McGovern: Was forced to play center due to injury at the position, but is a natural guard. I wanted the Bears to draft him a few years back.

C
Stefen Wisniewski: Veteran starter who has played both center and guard. His presence at center could give the Bears two of the best guards in the NFL.

Ted Karras: Bounced on and off the roster for a couple of years. Started all 16 games for the Pats in 2019 out of sheer lack of options.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:16 pm
TE
Tyler Eifert: Has a long list of injuries over his career, but as a #2 TE in this offense, he could be a weapon. At 29, there’s still life left in him.
The expression you should've used here was, "there's still some tread left on the tires." Let's get it together, wab.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I like Peat and Wisniewski on this list, and Keenum I like (I think he could start and win for us, I don't worry about his Redskins tenure). And I like Eifert/Burton as two guys with upside that are made of glass, but if neither has to carry a full load maybe we can keep them healthy - it's not a bad idea. Taysum Hill is a luxury item when we need basic competence at QB. Would love Thuney but not at the price I suspect he'll command.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

No on Robinson as #2 WR. That would make my head explode trying to keep track of everything.

No way do the Saints give up Taysom Hill. He gets resigned.

If you sign Weisnewski, are you giving up on Daniels? Do you move Whitehair to RG? How does that work?

I think there are some interesting TE prospects on the FA market this year. Pruitt, Toilolo, (maybe) take a run at Hooper. I thought Horsted played really well when we could get him the ball. I think he's a better Burton TE than Burton.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am No on Robinson as #2 WR. That would make my head explode trying to keep track of everything.

No way do the Saints give up Taysom Hill. He gets resigned.

If you sign Weisnewski, are you giving up on Daniels? Do you move Whitehair to RG? How does that work?

I think there are some interesting TE prospects on the FA market this year. Pruitt, Toilolo, (maybe) take a run at Hooper. I thought Horsted played really well when we could get him the ball. I think he's a better Burton TE than Burton.
1 - Robinson wouldn't be the #2. He'd probably be a 3 or 4. It's moot anyway because I don't expect a FA addition at WR.

2 - You are probably right about Hill.

3 - Wisniewski would play center. Daniels and Whitehair would be your guards.

4 - Horsted with undoubtedly be back, along with Dax, Saubert, and probably Holtz.
Z Bear
MVP

Give me Joe Thunney, RG is a spot that needs to be filled with a vet that we know is capable. You already have Bars, Multispher and Cowards as young prospects on the interior, they need someone without any questions to play RG.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I didn't recall that Hill is already 30. I don't think he's going to be a full time starter any time soon.

adding to your list...

If no team offers Bridgewater a starting spot (which I think he desperately wants), I wouldn't mind offering him a solid chance to win the starting spot here with an escalating contract for winning the start, and performance escalators. It would provide Mitch some much needed competition and secure us a great backup QB for a year at the minimum or get us a starter on the cheaper end.

Other than Bridgewater, the Other QB's that I like strictly as a backup:
-AJ McCarron. He won't cost a ton, but does have starting experience and can run some.
-Blake Bortles. has had moment of shine and way more consistently is a 'WTF' passer. But as the 2nd guy up, not the worst.

At WR, depending on if they're tendered cheap, RFA's Keelan Cole and Kendrick Bourne also interest me
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Good list!

I'm strongly of the opinion that Gabriel is gone and that we will replace him with Dorsett :arrow: makes too much sense. TE I am intrigued by Eifert but that dude hasn't consistently been healthy, well, ever. Put me down for over-paying for Henry or Hooper. Not ideal but that's the price for botching draft picks. At OG another name I like is Graham Glasgow from DET.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Kareem Hunt would be a dream come true for me. I think Monty is great, but a dominant running back tandem would do wonders for the passing game.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Taysom Hill is a pipe dream. If Trub continues to play the way he does, Keenum would challenge for the starting position. We grab Bridgewater, Trubs is done.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
dplank
Hall of Famer

I tell you what though...Taysum Hill should be looking at the success with Lamar Jackson and want to play in a similar style offense as a starter.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

People here in New England have been complaining about Dorsett's poor route running all season. He will definitely be available because there's no way NE is going to try and re-sign him.

i hate the notion thought that when an offense is struggling, they just need to bring in a speed guy to stretch the field. that's silly and reductive and i want dorsett no where near this team.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm People here in New England have been complaining about Dorsett's poor route running all season. He will definitely be available because there's no way NE is going to try and re-sign him.

i hate the notion thought that when an offense is struggling, they just need to bring in a speed guy to stretch the field. that's silly and reductive and i want dorsett no where near this team.
It's not really the notion here that we need a speed guy to help the struggling offense, but we do need to threaten them vertically to open up the underneath stuff and keep safeties out of the box to help our run game. I don't think we'll see Trubisky giving hand signals to our WRs (have we seen that at all in this offense?) to make immediate adjustments, but I could be wrong.

Dude has his flaws for sure, but it's why I think I'd rather throw Gabriel's money at him (if not less) and take a flier and see if we can unlock something the Patriots couldn't.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bridgewater is looking for a starting job. He won’t come to Chicago to compete with Trubisky. I’d have to believe he’s looking north (well north) of 20M also. He’s not coming to the Bears.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

QB
Ideally the bears bring in a fringe starter type, and a developmental QB. Teddy Bridgewater would be ideal but cost makes it unlikely. Marcus Mariota, Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, A.J. McCarron, Trevor Siemian? Sure maybe not all sexy options but at least its competition.

I hate the draft a QB and treat them with kid gloves philosophy. Competitive atmospheres I think are important.

TE

Clearly with several UDFA players as hopefuls TE is a need. Burton has talent, but can he be counted on will be the question. Hooper, Henry are options if they dont get resigned.

OL

This unit needs pieces. At the very least a OG and depth. Ideally just more talent. I like Wabs suggestions. Peat would be great. I too look at McGovern as a good option. I liked him in college. He's sort of like Whitehair. Both collegiate LT, but McGovern is much stronger. Whitehair is more fluid and uses his hands better. Other options Evan Boehm G, Max Garcia G/C, Michael Schofield G. There are quite a few decent low tier guys.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:13 pm Bridgewater is looking for a starting job. He won’t come to Chicago to compete with Trubisky. I’d have to believe he’s looking north (well north) of 20M also. He’s not coming to the Bears.
I agree that is what Bridgewater wants. If no one offers it to him though, Chicago has to look appealing to beat out Mitch
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

WR Bourne looked pretty good it tonight. It'll be interesting to see what he's tendered at.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I would put the priority on the OL ... until that becomes useful and stable, spending on the other positions is wasted

on that list, I think Wisniewski at Center for the Bears would be a solid choice and really make a difference
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:40 pm I would put the priority on the OL ... until that becomes useful and stable, spending on the other positions is wasted

on that list, I think Wisniewski at Center for the Bears would be a solid choice and really make a difference
Move Whitehair to RG if they sign/draft a C? He played it in college but wasn't too good earlier in the year at LG. It would give them more flexibility.

It's official. I have a mancrush on Derrick Henry. The Bears need to look through the sofa cushions, etc. for an extra $50M or so in cap space to make a run at him and more OL help.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Henry would have 4 total yards behind our line. He's a big, tall back that is tough to bring down when he gets rolling. But if you penetrate, he's not a "wiggle" guy and you can stuff him before he ever gets going. Our OL is so bad Henry would have no chance. I'd actually rather have Montgomery (who I agree is not half the back Henry is) if we're stuck with our blocking simply because you need a guy who can make the first guy (or two) miss before you even get to the LOS.

When I watch Tennessee, all I think about is OL OL OL. Ravens too, OL OL OL TE TE TE, they almost always have two big hoss TE's out there who CAN BLOCK and catch, and a big physical OL. Best two rushing attacks in the NFL right there.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Henry would have to get the ball first @dplank .

Nagy isn't here to run the i-formation remember and between all the carries Cohen and Patterson get fuggetaboutit.

Nagy ran Jordan Howard out of town. (I'm here all week try the veal. :) ). Imagine how pissed off he'd be with a guy like Henry on the roster.
Hoog
Player of the Month

I like your 2 choices at back up QB but agree Hill will be a tough get. Jarwin is my main target at TE for sure and I don't think he will get a high tag in Dallas. My other guy at TE is another restricted guy in Jake Hollister in Seattle. I really like that kid. As for o-line we have to make Graham Glasgow a priority at RG. The guy is a road grader with pass protection talent. He can also fill in great at OC if needed. Very talented lineman.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:49 pm Henry would have 4 total yards behind our line. He's a big, tall back that is tough to bring down when he gets rolling. But if you penetrate, he's not a "wiggle" guy and you can stuff him before he ever gets going. Our OL is so bad Henry would have no chance. I'd actually rather have Montgomery (who I agree is not half the back Henry is) if we're stuck with our blocking simply because you need a guy who can make the first guy (or two) miss before you even get to the LOS.

When I watch Tennessee, all I think about is OL OL OL. Ravens too, OL OL OL TE TE TE, they almost always have two big hoss TE's out there who CAN BLOCK and catch, and a big physical OL. Best two rushing attacks in the NFL right there.
Yep, the Titans signed Saffold in the offseason. Then everyone wonders why the Rams offense took a step back and the Titans are suddenly so dominant on the ground.

The Bears need to get better on the line through both free agency and the draft.
Hoog
Player of the Month

So this is what I found on Jarwin being a RFA:

RFAs

An original-round tender will cost a little over $2 million for each of these RFAs, and judging by the performance to date, only TE Blake Jarwin would warrant that kind of money. And given that he was an undrafted free agent, the Cowboys won’t receive any draft pick compensation if they are outbid for his services by any other team.

So, someone help me with this one. Since he was an UDFA, what tender can the Cowboys put on him or is it a set dollar amount? Either way, I say we put some money up front so the Cowboys can't match it. Kind of what has happened to us in the past with Fuller (who we bit the bullet on anyway) and Amos. The Cowboys have a lot bigger fish to fry than Jarwin so it might be the best case scenario, although McCarthy likes his TE's so he might value him more than the last group. We shall see but I would love to put this guy in a Bears uniform.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am So this is what I found on Jarwin being a RFA:

RFAs

An original-round tender will cost a little over $2 million for each of these RFAs, and judging by the performance to date, only TE Blake Jarwin would warrant that kind of money. And given that he was an undrafted free agent, the Cowboys won’t receive any draft pick compensation if they are outbid for his services by any other team.

So, someone help me with this one. Since he was an UDFA, what tender can the Cowboys put on him or is it a set dollar amount? Either way, I say we put some money up front so the Cowboys can't match it. Kind of what has happened to us in the past with Fuller (who we bit the bullet on anyway) and Amos. The Cowboys have a lot bigger fish to fry than Jarwin so it might be the best case scenario, although McCarthy likes his TE's so he might value him more than the last group. We shall see but I would love to put this guy in a Bears uniform.
https://overthecap.com/franchise-transi ... a-tenders/

Code: Select all

Type				Amount
First Round			$4,667,000
Second Round		$3,278,000
Original Round		$2,144,000
So the Original Round tender wouldn't give Dallas any comp, but they could match any offer. This just happened a few years ago with Cam Meredith and the Bears. Conversely the same year they gave the original round tender to Callahan, no one signed him, and he played out the tender and then hit the market again as a UDFA with a big payday.
Richie
MVP

Giving Nagy a toy like Taysom Hill to use would be a sure-fire way to create some memorable moments.

Now, will they be painful memories? Quite possibly. But... it would be memorable.

Anyway, I think Payton will do everything he can to keep Hill in New Orleans. He seems to genuinely believe that Hill could be the starter after Brees retires.

I like the O-line ideas.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I think our number one target in free agency has to be TE. The position is just so absolutely critical to Nagy's offense. I also don't see a TE in the draft who would be able to contribute immediately. There are a few developmental guys, but nobody who stands out as somebody who can step in right away. With this in mind, I think that Austin Hooper has to be our number one free agent target, followed by Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron who are significant injury risks. And if we can't get those, I think we have to even be willing to roll the dice on Tyler Eifert, a traction recipient just waiting to happen, but with our new offensive coordinator coming from the same team. When healthy, Eifert can be as good as there is out there. But given the health issues of all the rest of the TEs, Hooper simply has to be our primary focus.

Yes, our offensive line needs work but there a number of prospects I really like coming out. It's a deep OT draft. A couple who really strike me in limited time perusing are Mekhi Becton of Louisville and Josh Jones of Houston. I wouldn't mind getting both of them. I also like Prince Tego Wanagho from Auburn but only as a RT. A guard I really want is Ben Bredeson from Michigan. But this is about free agency, and I believe the one guy that we'll target who we can afford is Quinton Spain. He comes from the same team our new OL coach came from--Buffalo.

As much as I'd love to go after somebody like Marcus Mariota, I think we're going to be stuck with a second tier second string QB. Maybe somebody like Case Keenum is about the best we can hope for.

Just my two cents.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Anxiously awaiting your picnic basket sir
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:04 pm I think our number one target in free agency has to be TE. The position is just so absolutely critical to Nagy's offense. I also don't see a TE in the draft who would be able to contribute immediately. There are a few developmental guys, but nobody who stands out as somebody who can step in right away. With this in mind, I think that Austin Hooper has to be our number one free agent target, followed by Hunter Henry and Eric Ebron who are significant injury risks. And if we can't get those, I think we have to even be willing to roll the dice on Tyler Eifert, a traction recipient just waiting to happen, but with our new offensive coordinator coming from the same team. When healthy, Eifert can be as good as there is out there. But given the health issues of all the rest of the TEs, Hooper simply has to be our primary focus.

Yes, our offensive line needs work but there a number of prospects I really like coming out. It's a deep OT draft. A couple who really strike me in limited time perusing are Mekhi Becton of Louisville and Josh Jones of Houston. I wouldn't mind getting both of them. I also like Prince Tego Wanagho from Auburn but only as a RT. A guard I really want is Ben Bredeson from Michigan. But this is about free agency, and I believe the one guy that we'll target who we can afford is Quinton Spain. He comes from the same team our new OL coach came from--Buffalo.

As much as I'd love to go after somebody like Marcus Mariota, I think we're going to be stuck with a second tier second string QB. Maybe somebody like Case Keenum is about the best we can hope for.

Just my two cents.
There's a statistic I saw recently on Austin Hooper which discouraged me a bit... let me see if I can find it

G08
Hall of Famer

Here we are:
Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.