Six QB's in the draft that interest me

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Player of the Month

I'm not looking for an immediate starter because we don't have a first round pick but that doesn't mean there aren't some interesting names out there. Here are six that we could get in rounds 2-6 that would be very nice developmental guys and fit in Nagy's system, IMO:

Jalen Hurts- round 2 or 3
Bryce Perkins- round 3-5
Cole McDonald- round 4-6
Anthony Gordon- round 4-6
Kelly Bryant- round 5-7
Khalil Tate- round 5-7

They all have some warts but all are athletic and have some major arm strength. A little tweak in their accuracy or decision making? A little time in the Nagy system? I think all have upside.

Perkins and Gordon are probably the two I am most intrigued by of the group. Perkins really put a nice year together and his bowl game was outstanding. He reminds me of Robert Griffith III. Gordon is a slingger who hasn't played much division one but sure looks the part of a wide open offense QB. He looked to have a really nice touch down field also. So did McDonald.
UOK
Site Admin

My totally unqualified observations from YouTube highlight compilations:

Jalen Hurts: Gives me Trubisky vibes in terms of his feet and eyes. Not a great arm, but good accuracy. Would be considered slow at the NFL level.

Bryce Perkins: Love the field awareness. Makes quick decisions and has a strong arm. Athleticism is NFL-caliber. Definite gunslinger, and working out of anything but shotgun would be a big ask. Makes a lot of risky throws, footwork be damned, but he isn't a coward, that's for sure. Exciting guy, but would require some patience. Looks good in Bears colors.

Cole McDonald: Like his arm. Guy can chuck it. Would vie with Rodgers for best Hail Mary ball in league. Great blonde salad. Didn't see a lot as far as progressions go; just kinda throws to a spot way downfield. Can run with surprising speed for as lanky as he is. Worry he wouldn't do well in a west-coast gameplan or be dynamic enough to cycle Nagy's RPO, but if you have a vertical gameplan, he's built for it.

Anthony Gordon: Not a great arm, but solid touch. I worry he'd get picked off a lot at the pro level on passes over 12 yards or so. Good field vision, could handle a progression. Not overly impressed, but he's one of those guys who could make a career out of long, annoying drives so long as he's making good decisions.

Kelly Bryant: NFL-caliber deep ball. Solid pocket presence with a stout build, and can move well for his size. Good field vision, but doesn't use his head to fool DBs much. Quick decision maker with crisp release. Poor man's Russell Wilson who could end up being, well, Russell Wilson.

Khalil Tate: Arm strength concerns me, but his athleticism is arguably the best in the draft at the QB position. Probably the most likely to get overdrafted because Lamar Jackson vibes.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:30 pm My totally unqualified observations from YouTube highlight compilations:

Jalen Hurts: Gives me Trubisky vibes in terms of his feet and eyes. Not a great arm, but good accuracy. Would be considered slow at the NFL level.

Bryce Perkins: Love the field awareness. Makes quick decisions and has a strong arm. Athleticism is NFL-caliber. Definite gunslinger, and working out of anything but shotgun would be a big ask. Makes a lot of risky throws, footwork be damned, but he isn't a coward, that's for sure. Exciting guy, but would require some patience. Looks good in Bears colors.

Cole McDonald: Like his arm. Guy can chuck it. Would vie with Rodgers for best Hail Mary ball in league. Great blonde salad. Didn't see a lot as far as progressions go; just kinda throws to a spot way downfield. Can run with surprising speed for as lanky as he is. Worry he wouldn't do well in a west-coast gameplan or be dynamic enough to cycle Nagy's RPO, but if you have a vertical gameplan, he's built for it.

Anthony Gordon: Not a great arm, but solid touch. I worry he'd get picked off a lot at the pro level on passes over 12 yards or so. Good field vision, could handle a progression. Not overly impressed, but he's one of those guys who could make a career out of long, annoying drives so long as he's making good decisions.

Kelly Bryant: NFL-caliber deep ball. Solid pocket presence with a stout build, and can move well for his size. Good field vision, but doesn't use his head to fool DBs much. Quick decision maker with crisp release. Poor man's Russell Wilson who could end up being, well, Russell Wilson.

Khalil Tate: Arm strength concerns me, but his athleticism is arguably the best in the draft at the QB position. Probably the most likely to get overdrafted because Lamar Jackson vibes.
These are pretty accurate, although I don't see the pocket awareness in Bryant. Biggest concern with McDonald is that his accuracy is all over the place.
IE
Hall of Famer

I really like Hurts. I like how mobile and aware he is, and do see him as similar to Trubisky in the right offense.... but more field awareness, honestly. He can run for 75 yards like Mitch, Lamar, Patrick or Russell. I see him as a leader & winner in a Watson-lite kind of way. I know he's not the same passer as a couple of those guys. But he's not a bad passer... probably as good as Mitch, but in different ways. I just want a winner, and I strongly believe that's a ton of value for a 2nd round pick.

I'd be fine with Perkins for sure. Perkins did look good in the bowl game. Didn't see him other than that. His stats are solid but I don't know much else. If they're grabbing a guy in the 2nd, then I'd prefer the fella above. If it isn't available or they go a different direction in the 2nd... Perkins would be great in the 4th with the compensatory pick if he's still there. Or if they traded down.

I'm super-intrigued by Bryant. This is NOT a bust on Mitch... but there are QBs who can't displace Marquis Williams, and then there are QBs who get beat out by Trevor Lawrence. Right? Bryant has big game experience. Not sure what he looked like last year, but Missou is a lot different than Clemson and he still had a decent season. Doesn't light it up with TDs. But honestly I don't know who he played with. If this guy was available in the later rounds, to me that would be a great pick.

I'm nervous about those Hawaiian QBs. The history is not good.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!