Bears Franchise Direction: Everything's Awful/Things Aren't So Bad/Etc.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:
Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am You'll come around.
That's not the point. It has nothing to do with him coming around. Pace isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I agree with UOK. How do fans who hate a team, it's leadership, it's QB...whoever...enjoy being, you know...a fan.

I honestly wonder why some fans don't find a more suitable team to root for.

Read the whole post, @Drone7 . I'm not advocating for BELIEVE IN PACE, etc. I'm simply curious how fans who set their threshold for satisfaction at Firing The General Manager enjoy being a Bears fan.

I don't want to make anyone feel foolish or alienated, either. You're fully in your rights to feel like Pace hasn't met your expectations, just as others are disenchanted with Nagy, etc. It's not a matter of ignoring what's evident.

It's more about how the game-to-game experience gives you....anything of enjoyment, I guess. Bears lose = they should really consider firing the GM. Bears win = delaying the need to address the real problem by firing the GM.

GM firings are not and should not be annual, and even then, waiting for one day a year where the team may fire their GM is a patient, patient exercise that often won't be given. And even if they did, chances are good the person the team would choose to replace Pace isn't going to be somebody you'd prefer, so...what's the point?

THAT is why it's more logical and gratifying to argue for swapping out a guard, or moving somebody to this position, drafting this or that, hiring this assistant coach, etc. Because you can guarantee that will happen in a timely and fairly regular pattern based on either injury or adjustment.

If a GM gets fired, it likely means some really awful shit has gone down for your franchise, and an 8-8 season after a 12-4 division championship doesn't exactly qualify.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:36 am
Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am You'll come around.
That's not the point. It has nothing to do with him coming around. Pace isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I agree with UOK. How do fans who hate a team, it's leadership, it's QB...whoever...enjoy being, you know...a fan.

I honestly wonder why some fans don't find a more suitable team to root for.
I think it's a philosophical difference I've noticed since joining this board. There's two groups of people, some (Group A) are more unsatisfied with what we have with this team than others (Group B) seem to be, and that drives a lot of frustration from Group A. And vice versa, the complaining about where we are and how to fix it coming from Group A, just sounds like negativity to Group B. I think this board was full of Group B folk for the most part until some of us newbies got here. So let me try and explain the Group A position to you a little better.

We are die hard Bears fans for life, who are really tired of the last 30 years of shit that we've gotten from our franchise. We just want it to be better, changing favorite teams is not an option for us. We want sustained success, like we've seen from our chief rivals up north. We don't expect playoffs every year or a 6 super bowl run like the Pats, but we recognize the reality that this franchise has been a "Bottom 10" NFL franchise since the 80's and we just want it to get better already. We look at you folks in Group B and think "These guys must not give a shit about the team if they are so willing to just keep the status quo" or "These guys must just be clueless, how can they not see how bad this franchise has been the last 30 years?" (note the beach heads in the sand pic, that's where that comes from) None of us "hate the team" as you say, quite the opposite. If there's a failing it's that we care too much about a form of entertainment that we should take less seriously. We do dislike specific people that bring us losing misery year after year, and we want to replace them with people who can bring us sustained success and take us out of the NFL basement that we've resided in for 3 decades now.

Hope that helps you guys see things from our perspective, happy to hear yours if I have it wrong.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:59 am We are die hard Bears fans for life, who are really tired of the last 30 years of shit that we've gotten from our franchise. We just want it to be better, changing favorite teams is not an option for us. We want sustained success, like we've seen from our chief rivals up north. We don't expect playoffs every year or a 6 super bowl run like the Pats, but we recognize the reality that this franchise has been a "Bottom 10" NFL franchise since the 80's and we just want it to get better already. We look at you folks in Group B and think "These guys must not give a shit about the team if they are so willing to just keep the status quo" or "These guys must just be clueless, how can they not see how bad this franchise has been the last 30 years?" (note the beach heads in the sand pic, that's where that comes from) None of us "hate the team" as you say, quite the opposite. If there's a failing it's that we care too much about a form of entertainment that we should take less seriously. We do dislike specific people that bring us losing misery year after year, and we want to replace them with people who can bring us sustained success and take us out of the NFL basement that we've resided in for 3 decades now.

Hope that helps you guys see things from our perspective, happy to hear yours if I have it wrong.
I don't think it needs to be that binary. I think we're ALL sick of being an also-ran franchise, but the manner in which we go about getting out of that category is quite tribal around here. It's never as simple as pegging fans into one category or another.

I'll have to put together a Google Survey to get some good overall information about where people stand.
Drone7
Player of the Month

I'm not a sentimental fan. I enjoy watching football because I enjoy the game itself.

I had no expectations for Pace because he was unproven in his current job.

I simply read his public statements, watched him maneuver, and saw how his moves have worked out, then came to a 5 year conclusion that he isn't an overly sharp evaluator that knows how to construct a consistently good team. 5 Years is patient. And I recognize that he remains the GM for next year so the story hasn't ended for many fans.

You're welcome to believe he will put together a Super Bowl winner. Several other teams seem better managed and constructed, so I doubt it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am
dplank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:59 am We are die hard Bears fans for life, who are really tired of the last 30 years of shit that we've gotten from our franchise. We just want it to be better, changing favorite teams is not an option for us. We want sustained success, like we've seen from our chief rivals up north. We don't expect playoffs every year or a 6 super bowl run like the Pats, but we recognize the reality that this franchise has been a "Bottom 10" NFL franchise since the 80's and we just want it to get better already. We look at you folks in Group B and think "These guys must not give a shit about the team if they are so willing to just keep the status quo" or "These guys must just be clueless, how can they not see how bad this franchise has been the last 30 years?" (note the beach heads in the sand pic, that's where that comes from) None of us "hate the team" as you say, quite the opposite. If there's a failing it's that we care too much about a form of entertainment that we should take less seriously. We do dislike specific people that bring us losing misery year after year, and we want to replace them with people who can bring us sustained success and take us out of the NFL basement that we've resided in for 3 decades now.

I don't think it needs to be that binary. I think we're ALL sick of being an also-ran franchise, but the manner in which we go about getting out of that category is quite tribal around here. It's never as simple as pegging fans into one category or another.

I'll have to put together a Google Survey to get some good overall information about where people stand.
It's not that binary, just wanted to write something in a paragraph instead of a novel to get the point across. But I don't think some of you are as sick of being an also ran franchise as others are, otherwise you would be seeking more answers and making less excuses for what we've seen. It's just a fact that if you look through each thread, you have one group looking for ways to really fix this thing, and another that keeps throwing cold water on it as if either everything is fine or simply resigned to our fate for some reason. Your patience is exhausting. This isn't baseball where rebuilds take a decade to restock the farm system. In the NFL, you should be able to turn it around in 2-3 years. If you can't, keep looking until you find someone that can.

It's just a different mindset, one isn't more right or a "better fan" than the other. I don't hate on you guys for having such patience with this franchise, I view it as a net positive to check my more impulsive reactionary behavior. The world needs both types. So maybe best not to question if folks in our group should look for another team to root for, eh?
wab
Mod

I think the biggest problem fans have is FOMO. I don't think everyone takes into account that over the past 20 years, there has been like 5 teams that have controlled the NFL.

To that end, fans would 100% rather go with the devil they don't know than the devil they do. They always want "someone else" but don't even know who that someone else is...unless it's a QB, and that someone else is usually a player who failed elsewhere and probably isn't any better than what the team currently has. He's just different.

I've carved out time in my week every year since the mid-90's for this team. I've missed holidays, birthdays, wedding receptions, etc to watch Bears games. As of this post, I've spoken about this team 20 THOUSAND times on just this platform. I'm as die hard as anyone. And yes, watching this team is frustrating and I want it to be better. But I also understand that I have zero control over any of it, so if I'm to get any enjoyment out of this team and game itself, my choices are to:

1 - Be as patient as possible
2 - Enjoy the wins when they come
3 - Realize it's just a game and if they lose it makes no real difference in my life

I don't think one group of fans is better or worse. The people on this board are not overly reactionary.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am So maybe best not to question if folks in our group should look for another team to root for, eh?
The "find another team" thing is an emotional response that I'm guilty of, because while some posters' patience is in your words 'exhausting,' it's similarly draining to read a lot of the same posts pounding the table for firing higher-ups.

Agree to disagree, but as long as we all want the same thing -- consistent victories -- we can live with the disparities and semantics.
wab wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 am I think the biggest problem fans have is FOMO. I don't think everyone takes into account that over the past 20 years, there has been like 5 teams that have controlled the NFL.

To that end, fans would 100% rather go with the devil they don't know than the devil they do. They always want "someone else" but don't even know who that someone else is...unless it's a QB, and that someone else is usually a player who failed elsewhere and probably isn't any better than what the team currently has. He's just different.

I've carved out time in my week every year since the mid-90's for this team. I've missed holidays, birthdays, wedding receptions, etc to watch Bears games. As of this post, I've spoken about this team 20 THOUSAND times on just this platform. I'm as die hard as anyone. And yes, watching this team is frustrating and I want it to be better. But I also understand that I have zero control over any of it, so if I'm to get any enjoyment out of this team and game itself, my choices are to:

1 - Be as patient as possible
2 - Enjoy the wins when they come
3 - Realize it's just a game and if they lose it makes no real difference in my life

I don't think one group of fans is better or worse. The people on this board are not overly reactionary.
We've all endured fandom in different ways. I'm in a similar boat to where the Bears are rarely anything more than a numb experience for me on gamedays. I'm often miserable watching them, since they've been basically mediocre or worse most of the last 20 years, so when it comes to the games I'm present but mentally absent after week 8 or 9, depending on if they're clearly a shitshow or not.

Last year was SO damned nice, because I could recognize there was some amazing shit happening, and alas. Doink.

This year was, well, how it's been watching the Bears 98% of the time.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can say for myself, I do expect playoffs every year. With this organization has that happened? NO! Will it happen? I sure in the hell hope so. At the same time, split personality, when looking at the schedule prior to every season, I tend to see 8-8, because this has basically been an avg franchise over the past 20 yrs. Probably below avg, but I see what I see.

I get pissed at plays, players, coaches and losses. I then I have to take a step back and ask myself, Do I have any control over any of that? NO. So I am able to move on.

Fans have no influence over the team, the owners, the coaches, so why I get all lathered up? Because that is what fans do. Trades, signings, drafts, plays, hires are things outside of our control, so really we should just be able to roll with the punches.

For some reasons factions of fans believe they can influence the a team goes. Why I don't know.

I have been a fan for 50 yrs. Been thru a lot leaner times than the current ones. Been thru some awesome times (I guess, should have won more than 1 SB in the 80s) as well.

I will always love this team, BUT, I will love them in my own way. I don't get fanatic about drafts, don't get too much excited about who they draft until a few yrs into their time here.

I used to go to a game a year. That shit ended 2 yrs ago. Can't afford the tickets anymore (unless they are a losing team).

There are all levels of fandom, but one thing is common, we all want a winner. I know this is a message board and people like to attempt to persuade, but why would let a fan persuade me when they could be just like me. When it comes down to it, fans have desires and at times, most unrealistic ones. None of us are in the board room, locker room, on the sideline, so in a way , we don't know shit.
UOK
Site Admin

Beautiful. My sig is updated.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Patience is only a virtue if staying the leadership course will likely get "them" or "us" if you prefer to the organizational goals. I don't see that happening after being patient for 5 years. I'm not impressed with the way the offense is constructed and don't see that turning around ENOUGH in 2020.

I like reading different opinions here and have no interest in converting or disparaging anyone. One reason for that is simply that none of us know what's going to happen.
UOK
Site Admin

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm I like reading different opinions here and have no interest in converting or disparaging anyone. One reason for that is simply that none of us know what's going to happen.
That's one of my favorite things about this forum. We're not assholes 98% of the time, and while we butt heads and get occasionally worked up, it rarely ever becomes a blood war. We sorta grumble into our keyboards and let the feelings ride without being mean or whatnot.

For the most part, anyway.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'll be very interested to see what this years draft haul looks like. Pace started his career making some questionable picks. IMO, his last 2 drafts have been stellar. 2017 will hinge on how Trubisky shakes out. But 2018 and 2019 brought some really good core pieces to this team. If Pace has another great draft, it will be 3 in a row in my humble opinion. It's looking like he's settling in to his role as GM nicely with some turbulence to learn from along the way.
wab
Mod

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 pm Patience is only a virtue if staying the leadership course will likely get "them" or "us" if you prefer to the organizational goals. I don't see that happening after being patient for 5 years. I'm not impressed with the way the offense is constructed and don't see that turning around ENOUGH in 2020.

I like reading different opinions here and have no interest in converting or disparaging anyone. One reason for that is simply that none of us know what's going to happen.
So again, I ask you...what solutions would you present? If we are to sit here and ponder change in the front office, what realistic solution would you posit?

Is there a GM or structure that you think could construct this offense in a way that you would accept? What leadership direction do you, as a fan, think is positive or attainable?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is exactly how I feel.

At what point do the people in Group B get pissed off? Why is 35 years of mediocrity accepted?

Bears fans have every right to be extremely pissed off.

35 years of ineptitude.

Meanwhile every other Chicago team has had their turn and then some in some examples.
Drone7
Player of the Month

There is no "solution" to the present ownership duo that have failed so far. And might fail again. That's up to the family.

What I would do, is look within organizations that have consistent good results and interview their top Personnel college evaluators, especially if they have a good track record identifying quarterbacks and building a quarterback culture.

A good GM will have a better chance of finding a more experienced, sharper head coach, a better long term QB and other fills. He would also, over time, build a better Personnel Department than Pace has.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pace came from New Orleans. The team/org that plucked Brees out of FA and stuck with him through some initial trying times. While Pace was in NO they had some pretty consistent results, no? I would say with Brees, NO has a QB culture. Brought in Teddy and he performed more than adirmably in Brees' short absence.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I’ve been a fan for a very long time. It’s easier to remember the relatively few good years than the bad ones, which run together. Entire decades were nightmares. There is more of a mechanism for a team to make a quick turnaround theses days, which makes fans more impatient today. Yet even in the age of free agency, most teams aren’t winners.

We’re all fans regardless of how much we read about the team. I doubt anyone from the team trolls message boards looking for ideas. So enjoy the discourse for what it is, Bears fans coming together in common cause to cheer and bitch. Make your suggestions. Cuss out stupidity. Hope for better times.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm Pace came from New Orleans. The team/org that plucked Brees out of FA and stuck with him through some initial trying times. While Pace was in NO they had some pretty consistent results, no? I would say with Brees, NO has a QB culture. Brought in Teddy and he performed more than adirmably in Brees' short absence.
Loomis is the visionary/runs the show there with Payton. I wouldn't credit Pace with a whole lot in that regard. He's had 5 years to solve QB for us. We got Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky, while passing on Mahomes, Watson, Lamar Jackson....did I miss any? I wish Pace would just be GM of defense, he does really well there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I know that about Loomis, just pointing out Pace came from NO where they got that QB thing correctly.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:09 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm We got Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Drone7
Player of the Month

Important to remember that Pace primarily has a defensive background. He played defense in college. Spent most of his NO years on the Pro Personnel side, so he didn't build up the network of college contacts of someone that has risen along the college scouting then director of college scouting path. That's a preferable path if a team truly wants to be draft-driven as Pace claimed. So it may not be a coincidence that he has had more success evaluating defense. Having had a solid defensive-minded first head coach, Fox, and a great defensive coordinator, Fangio, in place probably also helped in terms of giving the Personnel Dept solid leads for needs. NO has a strong QB culture because they got a polished. talented QB in FA, which is rare, to couple with an excellent QB mentor and play caller in Sean Payton.

With a rebuild, there is no set formula, but I prefer to build certain positions early: OTs, C, TE, bridge QB to a long term youngster QB. On defense, he did a good job. The whole point of a bad 3 year stint on the rebuild was to put himself into position to get his long term QB and head coach (if you subscribe to the theory that Fox was "forced" on him).

The Trubisky draft and a year later the coach selection process were the crescendo that he needed to get right. He didn't and the reasons were that he blew their evaluations with lack of deep knowledge about offense and his natural style of being projective with choices. Mahomes and Watson were considerably more accomplished players in college and are much better now. Nagy was a charismatic underling that had Reid's weighty endorsement, but a shallow body of independent work. So he went on a limb with both. I don't recommend going way out on limbs. May lead to an injurious fall. Like losing a desirable job. ;)
Last edited by Drone7 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

The Trubisky draft and a year later the coach selection process were the crescendo that he needed to get right. He didn't
I'm done talking about Mitch. BUT after a 12-4 and 8-8 season I don't think you can definitively say, right now, that he was wrong about Nagy.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Wab-- I edited a grammatical mistake that changed what I conveyed in the previous post.

I could go into why I believe 12-4 was somewhat of a mirage, but that's a long answer. Obviously, he did a good job in some facets of being a head coach and offensive overseer in 2018.

Last season was more indicative of where they are. The league figured out the Bears' offense by watching their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses over last off-season. Nagy and Helfrich were unable to adapt well with their personnel constraints. So the offense went backward when they were widely expected to be better in year 2.

Nagy has a large, complicated playbook, but he was, and to some extent still is, inexperienced at controlling an offense and play-calling compared to many in the league. So his learning process was at the expense of the team. I would have preferred a guy with more experience so the second season was handled better. He made a very questionable "rookie" mistake for his first offensive coordinator, selecting a man he had never worked with, from a college spread offense, that wasn't a master of the running game and had scant experience game-planning NFL teams. That decision should have been questioned by Pace given that Nagy was also inexperienced and had taken on a much bigger role than he was used to. Maybe Pace thought having Hiestand as an OL coach would be sufficient? But it wasn't. HH had his hands full dealing with a running game that wasn't the foundation of the offense and worked off the passing game instead of vice versa. And Pace gave them one experienced OL with better than average talent, Whitehair. Long was shot and Daniel was a 20 year old rookie in 2018. And a weak TE group.

Of the three: Pace, Nagy and Trubisky, I am least down on Nagy, but he needs help with a better OC and some O players in order to avoid the hot seat. Wish he would give up play-calling, because head coach is a big enough job as is. He has shown no sign of putting his ego aside as he claimed to be doing. We'll see.
Last edited by Drone7 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I believe that Pace has improved at drafting as the years have gone on, he's been the GM for 5 years but the team he inherited was void of talent, speed, and most importantly DEPTH. While has has missed on some big early picks he's hit on a bunch of lower picks, and free agent acquisitions that has improved our starting lineups and total team depth. I believe the mistake I think he made was drafting a QB before he had his coach.
Nagy is a young head coach with who's still learning. I'm hoping he learns from his mistakes and gets better. Even during our loosing streak he never lost the locker room which speaks volumes to me about how the team feels about him. I hope he learns his lessons and we as Bears fans will benefit from that later on.
IE
Hall of Famer

Chicago Bears ... Lazor-focused on staying bad on offense.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I used to be like alot of you and over analyze every single thing the Bears do. Then one day I woke up and realized it all meant nothing. The Bears would be the Bears with or without me. I watch when I can and when I want to now and if I don't I do better things with my time. Life and fandom are both a hell of a lot happier now. Some of you should try it
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hurricane, I agree. I took a 3 week sabbatical this season and it helped me immensely. I was less angry on those Sundays and got out and enjoyed the day/weather/family. It helped. Got my football fix by attending high school games on Friday nights and watching FCS level on Saturdays.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 am Hurricane, I agree. I took a 3 week sabbatical this season and it helped me immensely. I was less angry on those Sundays and got out and enjoyed the day/weather/family. It helped. Got my football fix by attending high school games on Friday nights and watching FCS level on Saturdays.
Did some of he same here. Spent more time hunting and fishing with the wife and kids.

Watching the games just frustrated me between all the different levels of failure and the seemingly need to blame only one spot, position or coach.
IE
Hall of Famer

If there is any habit that is making you overly intense, miserable or dysfunctional in your life, it is always a good idea to consider stepping away from it. Always try to take care of yourself, and if you're overreacting to a game or what people say about a game or opinions people have about a game... focus on yourself first.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 am I used to be like alot of you and over analyze every single thing the Bears do. Then one day I woke up and realized it all meant nothing. The Bears would be the Bears with or without me. I watch when I can and when I want to now and if I don't I do better things with my time. Life and fandom are both a hell of a lot happier now. Some of you should try it
Hell no. This is too much fun.

I can't remember the last time I missed a game.