Dane Brugler's 1st Athletic draft has Bears taking...

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame

Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That draft would be a nightmare.

I never heard of Dane Brugler so I googled him. He looks like someone who would be electively allergic to bread so I’m not paying attention to anything he says.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm I never heard of Dane Brugler so I googled him. He looks like someone who would be electively allergic to bread so I’m not paying attention to anything he says.
Sound logic.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm That draft would be a nightmare.

I never heard of Dane Brugler so I googled him. He looks like someone who would be electively allergic to bread so I’m not paying attention to anything he says.
Why would this draft be a nightmare?

The Bears desperately need a TE and having another defensive lineman that can rush the passer and stop the run is always valuable. Especially, with nobody except Nick Williams (who is probably gone in FA) stepped up.

I would have preferred a stud guard but I don’t know how his mock draft falls, so if it it’d be a reach for what’s left this is probably better, I think.
wab
Mod

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking two of the best players at their respective positions in round 2.

There’s nothing wrong with these two picks.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

TE has become the position du jour where because all the cool kids have one we need one too. Unfortunately we have bigger problems and teams have won without elite TEs, but good luck trying to win with a substandard OL.

Our offensive line is dogshit at two positions (LT and RG), questionable at one (RT) and in a state of flux with the others (LG and C).

Whitehair and Daniels are keepers provided they stay at their original positions before they got switched.

There's a hole at RG which at least gives us options with shuffling the chairs. But we need to draft at least one OL.

With defensive line, yeah Hicks getting hurt didn't help, but we have depth there and because our offense was so inept the options on defense became very limited because they couldn't take risks.

I personally would draft an OL in round 2, see what QBs are available also there too given that we have 2 picks. Save $5M or so by cutting Daniel and having the 2nd round QB be the backup, put that money into the OL somehow and figure it out.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:44 pm There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking two of the best players at their respective positions in round 2.

There’s nothing wrong with these two picks.
There's nothing wrong with them ranking-wise, but that's not the only consideration in a draft. Scheme fit and team needs are also important - and when a team is in win now mode, like the Bears, "needs" needs to grow in importance.

Raekwon Davis, is fine in ranking and probably fine for scheme, too. But DL isn't remotely close to being one of team's top needs, there aren't enough picks left for luxury picks in R2, and no one's touting him as a "special, can't pass" type.

Cole Kmet is closer to the mark, but still not beyond questioning. He's fine in ranking and TE is certainly a need. But he's a bit on the large side and early estimated to be pretty slow. Does that mesh well with the profile of a U TE? Would they view him as a Y instead? Is the Y important or talent starved enough for one of the top picks? Maybe, but I'm unsure.

You can't possibly not address OL in a meaningful way. And you're not getting "plug and play as a rookie" meaningful help from the next pick at ~135. That backs you into a corner, requiring FA help - where there isn't much, and it's usually wildly overpriced (and part of the Bear OL problem in the first place is that they're stuck with Massie and Leno, due to large, bad contracts).

There's definitely things a reasonable person can dislike here.

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 pm I would have preferred a stud guard but I don’t know how his mock draft falls, so if it it’d be a reach for what’s left this is probably better, I think.
That's a possibility
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.