2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I want to see how he times at the combine and his Pro Day but he looks a littttllleeee stiff to me.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

You all know how much of a ND homer I am, and I don't get the love for Kmet. He's ok, but he's not on the level of some of the other TE's to come out of there. He did bail Ian Book out, like a lot...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Here's my attempt using The Draft Network simulator. Super early mock as we don't know what will happen in FA but here it goes:

43.Chicago Bears
K.J. Hamler
WR, Penn State

50.Chicago Bears
Brycen Hopkins
TE, Purdue

141.Chicago Bears
Anthony Gordon
QB, Washington State

145.Chicago Bears
Trevon Hill
EDGE, Miami

176.Chicago Bears
Jalen Elliott
S, Notre Dame

180.Chicago Bears
USER PICK
Ezra Cleveland
OT, Boise State

210.Chicago Bears
USER PICK
A.J. Green
CB, Oklahoma State

I think our offense is sorely lacking in speed at the WR position. I'm expecting Gabriel to be gone, so Hamler can come in and play the slot with Miller moving outside as the #2. Hamler is so dynamic and is a big play waiting to happen, something this offense hasn't seen in quite some time.

Hopkins is my #1 TE in the draft, so to get him at 50 was a coup. I'm not a Kmet guy, I have Hopkins and Bryant rated ahead of him. Even though Kmet is a 2 sport athlete, he still looks awfully slow and stiff as a TE prospect.

Obviously, I'm expecting the Bears to add a veteran QB in the mix this year in FA but I do expect them to also double dip and draft a developmental type of prospect as well. I think Gordon if available in that R4 - R5 range the Bears will pounce on him. Has some upside.

Let me know what you guys think.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
I think Pace surely has to bring in a guy or 2 in free agency. Personally I would try and do both.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Concur. I went in 2015. So many dead spots where you were sitting around with your thumb up your ass, because the broadcast was at commercial, or the TV audience was listening to Mel Kiper blather on about something. It was pretty boring.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 pm
wab wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 pm I went last year and it honestly wasn't really that fun. But I was surrounded by Cowboys fans.
Concur. I went in 2015. So many dead spots where you were sitting around with your thumb up your ass, because the broadcast was at commercial, or the TV audience was listening to Mel Kiper blather on about something. It was pretty boring.
I went with buddies both years they had it in Chicago and had a blast! We were drinking like fish though...

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:03 am Soooo, who's the starting RG in this scenario?
In this scenario, someone from UFA.
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

The Athletic had a good summary of 10 prospects who impressed so far at the senior bowl practices. Here's their list, without spoiling the content:

Keith Ishmael, OC, San Diego State
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama
Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
Ben Bartch, OT, St. John’s
Lloyd Cushenberry, OC, LSU
Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina
Josh Uche, LB, Michigan
Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Matt Miller wrote:Chicago Bears — The Bears don't own a first-rounder after trading for linebacker Khalil Mack in 2018 but do have two selections in the second round: picks No. 43 and 50 overall. Tight end, offensive line and cornerback were listed as the team's biggest needs from a scouting source with the club. Quarterback was not mentioned as a priority.
Indeed. A tight end is just what MT needs to help his passing and and newly bolstered O-line helps the entire offense. Reaching for a QB is why Chi is in a pickle now.

Go with BPA this year and try their luck at a signal caller next draft, hopefully with someone who knows what to looke for in a QB calling the shots? And with an already built O unit it will have them running out the gate.
EricTighe
MVP

Don't Blink on these guys either
WR Antonio Gandy-Golden Liberty- My favorite WR in the class. After Nate Burleson raved about this kid being the most complete WR he has seen in a while. I looked and I am hooked.
OG Damien Lewis LSU- They mentioned him a few times in the game.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Food for thought, our two 2nd rounders roughly equal Las Vegas' #19 overall pick. We would be coming out ahead in value depending on the chart you use, so we might have to add our 7th rounder if we really like someone.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 pm Food for thought, our two 2nd rounders roughly equal Las Vegas' #19 overall pick. We would be coming out ahead in value depending on the chart you use, so we might have to add our 7th rounder if we really like someone.
The Bears have enough holes that they need to consider trading down for more picks. Don't give up any more picks to move up.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 am The Athletic had a good summary of 10 prospects who impressed so far at the senior bowl practices. Here's their list, without spoiling the content:

Keith Ishmael, OC, San Diego State
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama
Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
Ben Bartch, OT, St. John’s
Lloyd Cushenberry, OC, LSU
Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina
Josh Uche, LB, Michigan
Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
My draft crush so far is Josh Uche...
UOK
Site Admin

Went through 2000-2011's Top 5 Draft Picks per year, just for my own research, and found some interesting data:

Of the 60 players taken over this span in the top 5...

14 were definitely busts
9 had okay, unexceptional careers
16 proved to be good NFL players with notable tenures around the league
21 were great picks who had (and in some cases are still having) remarkable careers

1. CLE - Courtney Brown, DE: BUST - 5 years
2. WAS - LaVar Arrington, OLB: GOOD - 7 years
3. WAS - Chris Samuels, OT: GREAT - 10 years
4. CIN - Peter Warrick, WR: OKAY - 6 years
5. BAL - Jamal Lewis, RB: GOOD - 9 years

1. ATL - Michael Vick, QB: GREAT - 11 years
2. ARZ - Leonard Davis, OG: GOOD - 11 years
3. CLE - Gerard Warren, DT: OKAY - 11 years
4. CIN - Justin Smith, DE: GOOD - 13 years
5. SDC - LaDainian Tomlinson: GREAT - 10 years

1. HOU - David Carr, QB: BUST - 10 years
2. CAR - Julius Peppers, DE: GREAT - 16 years
3. DET - Joey Harrington, QB: BUST - 6 years
4. BUF - Mike Williams, OT: BUST - 8 years
5. SDC - Quentin Jammer, CB: GOOD - 11 years

1. CIN - Carson Palmer, QB: GOOD - 12 years
2. DET - Charles Rogers, WR: BUST - 2 years
3. HOU - Andre Johnson, WR: GOOD - 13 years
4. NYJ - Dewayne Robertson, DL: BUST - 5 years
5. DAL - Terence Newman, CB: GOOD - 14 years

1. SDC - Eli Manning, QB: GREAT - 15 years
2. OAK - Robert Gallery, OT: OKAY - 8 years
3. ARZ - Larry Fitzgerald, WR: GREAT - 16 years
4. NYG - Philip Rivers, QB: GREAT - 16 years
5. WAS - Sean Taylor, FS: GREAT - 3 years (died)

1. SF4 - Alex Smith, QB: GOOD - 15 years
2. MIA - Ronnie Brown, RB: OKAY - 9 years
3. CLE - Braylon Edwards, WR: OKAY - 8 years
4. CHI - Cedric Benson, RB: BUST - 7 years
5. TBB - Cadillac Williams, RB: OKAY - 6 years

1. HOU - Mario Williams, DE: GREAT - 10 years
2. NOS - Reggie Bush, RB: GOOD - 10 years
3. TEN - Vince Young, QB: GOOD - 8 years
4. NYJ - D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT: GOOD - 9 years
5. GBP - AJ Hawk, OLB: GOOD - 10 years

1. OAK - JaMarcus Russell, QB: BUST - 2 years
2. DET - Calvin Johnson, WR: GREAT - 8 years
3. CLE - Joe Thomas, OT: GREAT - 10 years
4. TBB - Gaines Adams, DE: OKAY - 2 years (died)
5. ARZ - Levi Brown, OT: BUST - 6 years

1. MIA - Jake Long, OT: GREAT - 8 years
2. STL - Chris Long, DE: GOOD - 10 years
3. ATL - Matt Ryan, QB: GREAT - 11 years
4. OAK - Darren McFadden, RB: OKAY - 9 years
5. KCC - Glenn Dorsey, DT: BUST - 8 years

1. DET - Matt Stafford, QB: GOOD - 11 years
2. STL - Jason Smith, OT: BUST - 4 years
3. KCC - Tyson Jackson, DE: BUST - 7 years
4. SEA - Aaron Curry, LB: BUST - 4 years
5. NYJ - Mark Sanchez, QB: BUST - 9 years

1. STL - Sam Bradford, QB: OKAY - 8 years
2. DET - Ndamukong Suh, DL: GREAT - 10 years
3. TBB - Gerald McCoy, DL: GREAT - 10 years
4. WAS - Trent Williams, OT: GREAT - 10 years
5. KCC - Eric Berry, S: GREAT - 9 years

1. CAR - Cam Newton, QB: GREAT - 9 years
2. DEN - Von Miller, LB: GREAT - 9 years
3. BUF - Marcell Dareus, DT: GOOD - 9 years
4. CIN - AJ Green, WR: GREAT - 9 years
5. ARZ - Patrick Peterson, CB: GREAT - 9 years
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:30 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 pm Food for thought, our two 2nd rounders roughly equal Las Vegas' #19 overall pick. We would be coming out ahead in value depending on the chart you use, so we might have to add our 7th rounder if we really like someone.
The Bears have enough holes that they need to consider trading down for more picks. Don't give up any more picks to move up.
The Bears have enough options to make as much room in the cap to get any 1 player they want, and they have the ammunition to move up and grab a guy if they feel they need him (or value is too good because of someone "falling"). Pace will have all the holes filled by the draft as per his usual MO.

A top CB, or even a top WR that falls past 18, let alone a top O lineman or Edge rusher would more than warrant trading up.

I'm not a subscriber of trading up just for the sake of it, nor am I risk averse to moving up if a guy you really love is there. Future picks and players are also on the table to move up or back into other rounds, so nothing is out of the question.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If he kills it in FA I’m ok with him using multiple 2020 picks on a guy but if he uses the 2021 first rounder I will lose my whole mind
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pace has the tendency to fall in love with a guy and move up. He needs to stop this. The draft is a numbers game, the more picks a team has, the higher the chance of hitting on talent. The Bears aren't drafting in the range where the draft studs are typically found and need to maximize picks. Also, Pace has shown a talent for identifying talent in rounds other than 1.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:18 am Pace has the tendency to fall in love with a guy and move up. He needs to stop this. The draft is a numbers game, the more picks a team has, the higher the chance of hitting on talent. The Bears aren't drafting in the range where the draft studs are typically found and need to maximize picks. Also, Pace has shown a talent for identifying talent in rounds other than 1.
He has moved up to get a lot of those "good" picks in the later rounds as well.

He is just aggressive, in every round. I prefer a GM that does that over one that sits back watching the guys he believes to be impact players picked in front of where he sits.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:18 am Pace has the tendency to fall in love with a guy and move up. He needs to stop this. The draft is a numbers game, the more picks a team has, the higher the chance of hitting on talent. The Bears aren't drafting in the range where the draft studs are typically found and need to maximize picks. Also, Pace has shown a talent for identifying talent in rounds other than 1.
He has moved up to get a lot of those "good" picks in the later rounds as well.

He is just aggressive, in every round. I prefer a GM that does that over one that sits back watching the guys he believes to be impact players picked in front of where he sits.
Yep.

I've often disagreed with his targets, but I don't fault his aggressiveness.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I can't disagree with a lot of his picks. The team, tho, has too many holes to fill. It's time to let the draft come to them instead of trading away picks.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

In actuality, how many holes are there to fill currently?

TE, RG, ILB backup, CB, S?

CB becomes a need if you let Prince go, but they have Tolliver, Skrine, Skelley, Fuller. Safety is probably a bigger hole as Bush is so so and Ha Ha probably gets money somewhere.

Wr is pretty packed even letting Gabriel go, which is not a foregone conclusion. Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Patterson, and UDFA seems about right.

Trevathon may want to come back cheap, but I think Kwit is better at this point and durable. Some backups to the backups played well in spot duty which could mean a resigning of them.

OLB seems like a upper need along with TE.

QB, if they sign someone prior to the draft I don't know if they will use a pick or not.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:21 pm In actuality, how many holes are there to fill currently?

TE, RG, ILB backup, CB, S?

CB becomes a need if you let Prince go, but they have Tolliver, Skrine, Skelley, Fuller. Safety is probably a bigger hole as Bush is so so and Ha Ha probably gets money somewhere.

Wr is pretty packed even letting Gabriel go, which is not a foregone conclusion. Robinson, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Patterson, and UDFA seems about right.

Trevathon may want to come back cheap, but I think Kwit is better at this point and durable. Some backups to the backups played well in spot duty which could mean a resigning of them.

OLB seems like a upper need along with TE.

QB, if they sign someone prior to the draft I don't know if they will use a pick or not.
I feel the need positions are C, TE, SS, QB, Edge, ILB depth (thinking that Wab is correct that a solid center may help with shoring up the line at a much cheaper FA price.)

I think an early pick will be used on a TE, really deep TE class

If they could snag Uche, he may be able to handle the Edge/ILB depth in one guy... if not maybe they can splash out in FA for a guy who they feel will be a possible break out sack artist... there are a few guys who are FAs this off-season coming off a down year but showed flashes the previous season...

One interesting thing I have seen a couple places, not sure I remember exactly where, could have been here... but I have seen it ponder about using Stephen Denmark as a SS... I mean he has the size for it... looks to be a thumper... could he be an option there? If not, maybe they could throw some money at Anthony Harris from the Vikes, he has quietly been one of the top SS over the last two seasons... both in his run support and his coverage. But I would be alright with Joseph or one of the other box safeties who may not be as good in coverage but can allow Eddie to move back to FS full time... he was definitely more effective as a difference maker on the defense with the ability to roam...

And QB... I see people on twitter clamoring for Bridgewater or Cam or Alex Smith... even Drew Brees and Brady... honestly I feel like a mid-level vet will be brought in as "competition" and at least an upgrade over Daniel and his physical limitations... not sure who I would prefer... It's probably gonna be Case Keenum...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I know there are other priorities in terms of need but you guys can't sleep on the need for a speed WR in this offense. Turbo is most likely a cap casualty this offseason and that leaves us with ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims - none of these guys are legit homerun threats or can take a top off a defense. One thing when you look at the Bears offense is the lack of explosive plays. Sure, we can blame the OL and QB for a majority of this but honestly - there isn't a "Tyreek Hill" type of speed threat that puts fear into the defense. It's part of what makes defending the Chiefs offense so difficult. I think the Bears add someone via the draft at some point. Don't be surprised if it's as early as R2 if someone they like drops, i.e Hamler or Reagor.

Again, I fully understand that TE, OL, CB, Edge are all needs - but I think some are underestimating the value of adding more speed to the offense. Because honestly, there's not a whole lot of firepower for Nagy to work with. I love ARob and Miller just like most of you on here. ARob is a #1 acrobatic, possession type of WR. Miller is more quick than he is fast, great route runner. Ridley is also a route technician, not a burner and very inexperienced. Wims is a big body possession WR, more of a depth type of guy. If you eliminate Turbo out of the equation, then who will be getting downfield to challenge opposing defenses? I'd argue they need to add more than one burner to the offense, maybe not this offseason, just in general.

It's really tough plodding your way down field over and over again - you have to be able to hit some big plays (i.e. plays of 20 yards or more) consistently if you want to have an offense that can score points on a regular basis.

Also, out of the backfield, as we all know - Montgomery is not a burner. Cohen has the speed to pose a threat to defenses but he took a step back this year, wasn't really all that dynamic - not sure what happened to him, hopefully he regains his 2017 and 2018 self.

I know there are good players that aren't necessarily fast - and we have those type of players on the team (ARob, Miller, Montgomery, etc). What we don't have is a guy that the opposing defenses worry about beating them over the top.

Just want to reiterate I do understand that none of that is possible without good protection and a QB that doesn't consistently overthrow deep balls. Maybe adding a really fast guy will help Mitch cut down on the overthrows lol, who knows.
Last edited by DaSuperfan on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Easy
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm Don't be surprised if it's as early as R2 if someone they like drops, i.e Hamler or Reagor.
If we end up with Reagor, I'll prob piss myself... Hamler wouldn't be bad either but I really like Reagor...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

BamaBear09 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm
DaSuperfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm Don't be surprised if it's as early as R2 if someone they like drops, i.e Hamler or Reagor.
If we end up with Reagor, I'll prob piss myself... Hamler wouldn't be bad either but I really like Reagor...
I personally have Hamler rated a nudge higher but I'd be happy with either, honestly.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am One interesting thing I have seen a couple places, not sure I remember exactly where, could have been here... but I have seen it ponder about using Stephen Denmark as a SS... I mean he has the size for it... looks to be a thumper... could he be an option there? If not, maybe they could throw some money at Anthony Harris from the Vikes, he has quietly been one of the top SS over the last two seasons... both in his run support and his coverage. But I would be alright with Joseph or one of the other box safeties who may not be as good in coverage but can allow Eddie to move back to FS full time... he was definitely more effective as a difference maker on the defense with the ability to roam...
Count me in on this. I brought it up when he was drafted. He's a BIG dude and has some speed. But he's raw AF. I'd love to see him get a chance though.
Hoog
Player of the Month

I have really been looking at possible second rounders at OL, TE, OLB, and S since these are the areas I see as our biggest needs going into the draft. Here is my favorites for the second round and if we could get two of the guys listed, I would be happy. I think we could even trade down a bit with our second, second rounder and pick up a late third but still get two on the list:

OL
Isiah Wilson, Georgia
Austin Jackson, USC
Soloman Kindley, Georgia
Prince Tego Wanogho, Auburn
Robert Hunt, LA-Lafayette (he's a riser and nasty player)

TE
Cole Kmet, ND
Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
Harrison Bryant, FAU
Jared Pickney, Vandy
Thaddeus Moss, LSU

OLB
Zack Baun, Wisconsin
Yetar Gross-Matos, Penn St.
Terrell Lewis, Ala
Anfernee Jennings, Ala
Curtis Weaver, BSU
Jonathan Greenard, FLA

S
Grant Delpit, LSU
Xavier McKinney, Ala
Ashton Davis, CAL

Here are some late round guys (4 - 6) I am really starting to dig:

Bryce Huff, OLB, Memphis
Dane JAckson, CB, Pitt
Matt Peart, OL, UConn
Colton McKivitz, OL, WVU
Julian Blackmon, S, Utah
Cam Brown, LB, PSU
Scott Frantz, OL, KSU (a little bit of Whitehair vibe)
Darrell Taylor, OLB, Tenn
Delontae Scott, OLB, SMU
Shyheim Carter, ALA
Kameren Curl, S, ARK
Daishawn Dixon, OL, SDSU
Sam Williams, OLB, MISS
Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa St.
Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming
G08
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:51 pm I have really been looking at possible second rounders at OL, TE, OLB, and S since these are the areas I see as our biggest needs going into the draft. Here is my favorites for the second round and if we could get two of the guys listed, I would be happy. I think we could even trade down a bit with our second, second rounder and pick up a late third but still get two on the list:

OL
Isiah Wilson, Georgia
Austin Jackson, USC
Soloman Kindley, Georgia
Prince Tego Wanogho, Auburn
Robert Hunt, LA-Lafayette (he's a riser and nasty player)

TE
Cole Kmet, ND
Brycen Hopkins, Purdue
Harrison Bryant, FAU
Jared Pickney, Vandy
Thaddeus Moss, LSU

OLB
Zack Baun, Wisconsin
Yetar Gross-Matos, Penn St.
Terrell Lewis, Ala
Anfernee Jennings, Ala
Curtis Weaver, BSU
Jonathan Greenard, FLA

S
Grant Delpit, LSU
Xavier McKinney, Ala
Ashton Davis, CAL

Here are some late round guys (4 - 6) I am really starting to dig:

Bryce Huff, OLB, Memphis
Dane JAckson, CB, Pitt
Matt Peart, OL, UConn
Colton McKivitz, OL, WVU
Julian Blackmon, S, Utah
Cam Brown, LB, PSU
Scott Frantz, OL, KSU (a little bit of Whitehair vibe)
Darrell Taylor, OLB, Tenn
Delontae Scott, OLB, SMU
Shyheim Carter, ALA
Kameren Curl, S, ARK
Daishawn Dixon, OL, SDSU
Sam Williams, OLB, MISS
Greg Eisworth, S, Iowa St.
Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming
Awesome list of names -- thank you! I'll be digging into these dudes as the off-season progresses.

I've been focusing in on TE right now... love Hopkins as a 'U', Kmet I like as a Y but I don't know, he looks stiff to me.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:36 pm I know there are other priorities in terms of need but you guys can't sleep on the need for a speed WR in this offense. Turbo is most likely a cap casualty this offseason and that leaves us with ARob, Miller, Ridley and Wims - none of these guys are legit homerun threats or can take a top off a defense. One thing when you look at the Bears offense is the lack of explosive plays. Sure, we can blame the OL and QB for a majority of this but honestly - there isn't a "Tyreek Hill" type of speed threat that puts fear into the defense. It's part of what makes defending the Chiefs offense so difficult. I think the Bears add someone via the draft at some point. Don't be surprised if it's as early as R2 if someone they like drops, i.e Hamler or Reagor.

Again, I fully understand that TE, OL, CB, Edge are all needs - but I think some are underestimating the value of adding more speed to the offense. Because honestly, there's not a whole lot of firepower for Nagy to work with. I love ARob and Miller just like most of you on here. ARob is a #1 acrobatic, possession type of WR. Miller is more quick than he is fast, great route runner. Ridley is also a route technician, not a burner and very inexperienced. Wims is a big body possession WR, more of a depth type of guy. If you eliminate Turbo out of the equation, then who will be getting downfield to challenge opposing defenses? I'd argue they need to add more than one burner to the offense, maybe not this offseason, just in general.

It's really tough plodding your way down field over and over again - you have to be able to hit some big plays (i.e. plays of 20 yards or more) consistently if you want to have an offense that can score points on a regular basis.

Also, out of the backfield, as we all know - Montgomery is not a burner. Cohen has the speed to pose a threat to defenses but he took a step back this year, wasn't really all that dynamic - not sure what happened to him, hopefully he regains his 2017 and 2018 self.

I know there are good players that aren't necessarily fast - and we have those type of players on the team (ARob, Miller, Montgomery, etc). What we don't have is a guy that the opposing defenses worry about beating them over the top.

Just want to reiterate I do understand that none of that is possible without good protection and a QB that doesn't consistently overthrow deep balls. Maybe adding a really fast guy will help Mitch cut down on the overthrows lol, who knows.
Unfortunately Gabriel's speed hasn't really translated into results consistently. With the Bears other needs and resources, I think it unfortunately falls into "nice to have" rather than need. I agree though I wouldn't rule the spot out for the right value in the draft.