Free Agent Options: Offense

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm
i hate the notion thought that when an offense is struggling, they just need to bring in a speed guy to stretch the field. that's silly and reductive and i want dorsett no where near this team.
The Bears don't need any speed guy because they're struggling.
They need a competent speed guy, because you need a competent speed guy and because they don't have one.

That certainly doesn't mean that Dorsett is the right guy, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm
RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm
i hate the notion thought that when an offense is struggling, they just need to bring in a speed guy to stretch the field. that's silly and reductive and i want dorsett no where near this team.
They need a competent speed guy, because you need a competent speed guy and because they don't have one.

That's fair, I've suggested Dorsett because he's a legitimate burner and should be available for fairly cheap. Cut Gabriel and use *some* of those savings on Dorsett.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am Here we are:
Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.
"Hooper drives the boat Chief."

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:27 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 pm

That's fair, I've suggested Dorsett because he's a legitimate burner and should be available for fairly cheap. Cut Gabriel and use *some* of those savings on Dorsett.
Dorsett is just a bad WR.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am Here we are:
Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.
Doesn't bother me at all. The guy finished fifth in the NFL in receptions among TEs behind Kelce, Ertz, Waller, and Kittle. And that's the second year in a row he's finished fifth. He's doing something right.

We need consistency and dependability. Every other finished TE in this free agent class is a huge injury risk. With Shaheen and Burton I've seen enough of that. Of course, if we can't get Hooper, we might have to roll the dice and put up with more of it. That's why Hooper is my number one get for us, including over any lineman, QB, or defensive player.
Hoog
Player of the Month

YOGI my man, glad to see you posting brother. I can't wait to see your baskets. I see your on the Hooper train. Let me introduce you to my man Blake Jarwin, who will be at a fraction of the cost. My main stats for the TE position is reliability (catch percentage), the ability to get yards down field (yards per catch), and the most important is moving the sticks (first down per catch rate). Health is also an important factor. Here is how the top FA TE stack up:

Catch Percentage
Hooper- 77%
Jarwin- 75%
Henry/Fells- 71%
Eifert- 68%
Ebron- 63%

Yards per Catch
Henry- 12.6
Jarwin/Eifert- 11.6
Fells- 11.5
Ebron- 11.3
Hooper- 10.5

First Down Catch Rate
Henry- 73% (33 FD/45 Rec)
Eifert- 65% (17/26) and Fells (11/17)
Ebron- 60% (28/47)
Jarwin- 58% (17/29)
Hooper- 48% (26/54)

Finally, health wise, Jarwin and Fells are the only one's that have played all 16 games in the last two years.
wab
Mod

I just don't see Dallas letting him walk. Or walk for nothing in return.
Hoog
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm
Hoog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am So this is what I found on Jarwin being a RFA:

RFAs

An original-round tender will cost a little over $2 million for each of these RFAs, and judging by the performance to date, only TE Blake Jarwin would warrant that kind of money. And given that he was an undrafted free agent, the Cowboys won’t receive any draft pick compensation if they are outbid for his services by any other team.

So, someone help me with this one. Since he was an UDFA, what tender can the Cowboys put on him or is it a set dollar amount? Either way, I say we put some money up front so the Cowboys can't match it. Kind of what has happened to us in the past with Fuller (who we bit the bullet on anyway) and Amos. The Cowboys have a lot bigger fish to fry than Jarwin so it might be the best case scenario, although McCarthy likes his TE's so he might value him more than the last group. We shall see but I would love to put this guy in a Bears uniform.
https://overthecap.com/franchise-transi ... a-tenders/

Code: Select all

Type				Amount
First Round			$4,667,000
Second Round		$3,278,000
Original Round		$2,144,000
So the Original Round tender wouldn't give Dallas any comp, but they could match any offer. This just happened a few years ago with Cam Meredith and the Bears. Conversely the same year they gave the original round tender to Callahan, no one signed him, and he played out the tender and then hit the market again as a UDFA with a big payday.
Thanks BG, so we are to assume Dallas gives Jawin the tender for original round or $2.144M and we can still make an offer to him that Dallas can match. After signing all their other free agents they will be in cap hell so if we can front load the crap out of the offer, I don't think Dallas could match it. I believe this guy would be a STUD in our offense and we can steal him from Dallas because of how many FA they need to sign. Hooper would be nice but expensive. The others are injury prone and will be costly. I'd much rather get Jarwin in, try to even pry Hollister out of Seattle, and roll with Jarwin, Burton, and Hollister (or a drafted rookie).
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Cowboys will be in a tougher cap spot with Cooper and Prescott needing new deals, but it's not like the Bears are flush with cap.

I guess one thing that would help is if there is no new CBA agreement before FA starts. That would put in some limitations on how much you can back load contracts. That would hurt Dallas's creative structuring opportunities. That would hurt the Bears too though, if they wanted to be aggressive this FA period. But if they were targeting the lower to middle market on short deals anyways, then wouldn't be a big deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think I'm probably on an island with this one, but I think the Cowboys are making a mistake if they pay Dak an obscene amount of money. He's very good and all, which makes it really hard to defend, but I don't think he's so special that they should put that much cap into one guy. He's not Drew Brees. I think he benefits a whole lot from the high level of talent around him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There is no way that Jerry Jones lets his star QB walk. No way.

Dak will get paid whatever it will take.

And if they did let him go what would they replace him with?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm not against Jarwin. In fact, I think he'd be an excellent fall back option. My problem is that he reminds me a lot of Burton in that he's a second TE with limited exposure. Remember before we signed him, Burton had missed only two games in his four years. And look at what we had to pay for Burton: 32 million over four years. I think you might be underestimating how much Jarwin is going to cost, particularly considering that he's coming from Dallas.

I just think that TE is such an important part of Nagy's offense, we're better off paying out a bit more for a sure thing, the most consistent TE available, then over paying for an unproven commodity as we did with Burton. Remember, Jarwin's been healthy but he's been healthy based on being a number two TE (as Burton was), not on taking the accumulated shots that a number one TE is subjected to, as Hooper has been subjected to.

Just my thoughts. Not against Jarwin, but would prefer him as a fallback option. And I would prefer pursuing that fall back option though rather than relying on immediate contribution from this draft class that I've seen so far. But Hooper remains my number one FA target.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm People here in New England have been complaining about Dorsett's poor route running all season. He will definitely be available because there's no way NE is going to try and re-sign him.

Speed kills, baby
Adam Jahns wrote:How important is overall team speed?

According to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats, the two fastest teams in the NFL are playing in the Super Bowl. The Chiefs (13.36 mph) and 49ers (13.35 mph) ranked first and second in average top speed by ball carriers this season, including the playoffs. The Rams (13.31), Vikings (13.31) and Ravens (13.30) round out the top five. The league average was 12.97.

The Bears do have two of the top 20 individual speeds reached during the regular season. Patterson ranked second, hitting 22.23 mph on his 46-yard run in Week 2. Cohen reached 21.42 mph — which was 15th — on his 71-yard punt return in Week 5.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I’m honestly not a Dorsett fan. Sorry brotato.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:50 pm I’m honestly not a Dorsett fan. Sorry brotato.
Just a name at this point, I want a legit burner on this roster.