UOK's Poorly Researched & Generally Guessed Mock Draft (Updated 2/11)

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

DISCLAIMER: I watch virtually zero college football, and all of these opinions are formed from Googling, internet and YouTube "research," and multiple mock draft simulations to verify availability of these players being available when the Bears are on the clock.

I look forward to your feedback.

------------

R2, P11: ISAIAH WILSON, OT - GEORGIA

SUMMARY: Guessing a lot of people would be leery of this pick, but Wilson has some real positives: 6'7" 340 lbs, long arms, mean streak, and fiercely intelligent. It would be abysmal if Wilson was forced to start out of the gates, but with Massie's contract logjamming his roster spot for at least one more season, Wilson wouldn't be pressed into action too quickly. He could develop into the all-pro Right Tackle of the future that the team needs to have ready for the next era of Bears offensive linemen, but he will absolutely need a redshirt season to cure and absorb the NFL speed and refine his technique.

-------

R2, P18: TYLER BIADASZ, OL - WISCONSIN

SUMMARY: While Wilson would likely require a year to season, Biadasz is potentially a day-1 starter. At 6'3", 220lb he is nearly identical to Whitehair's build, and is likely just as versatile. He would require some measure of patience, but between he, Whitehair, and Daniels, the interior offensive line would have three guys with experience at center, and really they'd simply have to determine who was the best at identifying the mike, snaps, etc.

-------

R4, P41: KENNY WILLEKES, EDGE - MICHIGAN STATE

SUMMARY: 6'4" 250 lbs of relentless pursuit, Willekes is already damn good as a pass rusher, but there's still a ton of meat left on the bone. With Aaron Lynch gone (and with his final year pretty useless), there's a spot for an edge-rusher that has endless hustle and a craving to devour quarterbacks. Enter Willekes.

-------

R5, P17: A.J. GREEN, CB - OKLAHOMA STATE

SUMMARY: The Bears have already expressed interest, per reports, and with a merely passable Senior Bowl, his stock may have slipped enough for the Bears to get their guy in round 5. With Amukamara likely a cap casualty (and slipping performance) and depth behind Fuller not great, Green would find himself a great fit. He's not the ballhawk that people may need, but his size and technique would fill Amukamara's absence nicely.

-------

R5, P20: JOSIAH DEGUARA, TE/FB - CINCINNATI

SUMMARY: Deguara intrigues me. He's athletic and unrefined, but there's something about his highlights that gave me pause. He could be a TE, a FB, or Nagy's beloved U - he's got the capability, size, and athleticism to be any one of these things, or all of them. Jack of All Trades, Master of None came to mind. Deguara brings the versatility and speed to the position that will all but certainly be improvements over Horsted and Holtz respectively.

-------

R6, P17: EVAN WEAVER, LB - CAL

SUMMARY: To address concerns about his size and coverage range, Weaver dropped ten pounds in a month and had a nice Senior Bowl. He's a fantastic tackler, and has extremely impressive closing speed and a great knack for punching out the football. He'd immediately improve special teams and provide valuable depth at a position that's on the verge of crumbling for the Bears.

-------

R7, P12: COLE MCDONALD, QB - HAWAII

SUMMARY: Like his arm. Guy can chuck it. Would vie with Rodgers for best Hail Mary ball in league. Great blonde salad. Didn't see a lot as far as progressions go; just kinda throws to a spot way downfield. Can run with surprising speed for as lanky as he is. Worry he wouldn't do well in a west-coast gameplan or be dynamic enough to cycle Nagy's RPO, but if you have a vertical gameplan, he's built for it. If Nagy's more interested in stretching the field and wants a wild-card QB that could stir shit up on the roster, McDonald could be there late.

-------

R7, P19: ALOHI GILMAN, S - NOTRE DAME

SUMMARY: With a lot of comparisons to Patrick Chung, Gilman would bring instant leadership and physicality to the Bears DB room. He never - ever - quits. Gilman's involved in forcing turnovers, specializes in covering Tight Ends, and his major low points are that he can get too reckless. He'd instantly raise hell on Special Teams, but could become a starter by the end of his rookie year opposite Eddie Jackson.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Overall, nicely done. Hit on some key needs. I do think TE has to be addressed a bit earlier than R5. Possibly with that R4 pick, I do like Albert Okwuegbunam TE Missouri - he's generally been available in R4, not sure if he was available that late in R4 tho.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I like your logic with the first two picks. Maybe DL is a bigger need than I thought and I'm just too focused on getting a backup QB?

Going for the special teams, marginal starter, type guys in the later rounds always makes sense. I'm loving the TE and TE/FB combo in round 5, but do you think Nagy will actually use that? I'm not questioning what you're trying to build I'm questioning Nagy.
wab
Mod

I like it.

I actually think Tyler Biadasz is the perfect pick, but he's arguably the top interior OL in the draft and very likely won't make it out of the top 20.

Love the Lynch pick, he's been on my radar being down here at the edge of Baylor country. I wasn't sure if he'd declare so I hadn't considered him yet.

Surratt is returning to NC unfortunately. He's an intriguing guy though. There aren't a lot of people who have made a successful move from QB to LB.

Love the Jordan Fuller pick. Super underrated player. Team captain, academic all american. There's a ton to like about this guy. I think he's the 3rd safety off the board, but if he's available this late it would be a huge get.

I've seen Trautman's name recently in a lot of those "top sleepers of the draft" type articles. He just gives off too much of a Shaheen vibe to me. Kind of a one year wonder against inferior competition. Former QB without a ton of TE experience. I'll be interested to see how he plays in the Senior bowl.

I admittedly don't know much about Deguara other than everything I read says he has pretty modest physical traits but is versatile and effective in the passing game. Kind of similar to Nall in a few ways.

It was a big deal down here when Galea'i got booted from TCU. He was hammered and punched some kid in the head like 30 times. That whole thing aside, I like his ability, He's got lethal pass rush promise with an explosive first step. But man is he thin. Like "he makes Leonard Floyd look like Shawne Merriman" thin.

I love the Patterson pick. He's a little slight, but he just does everything really well. Slippery too. He's got some pretty wicked mechanical flaws though when things break down around him - stuff that's easily correctable. But this is a perfect R7 type selection.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm I like it.

I actually think Tyler Biadasz is the perfect pick, but he's arguably the top interior OL in the draft and very likely won't make it out of the top 20.
Indeed. Guy'll be a first rounder, unfortunately.
wab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm Love the Lynch pick, he's been on my radar being down here at the edge of Baylor country. I wasn't sure if he'd declare so I hadn't considered him yet.
I hope he's a Chicago Bear. Guy is a monster.
wab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:15 pm Surratt is returning to NC unfortunately.
Damn. Ah well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How accurate do you think things like the Fanspeak Draft Simulator are?

I did a mock this morning and Biadasz (OMG HIS NAME SOUNDS LIKE BAD ASS HAW HAW HAW! WE GOTTA DRAFT HIM!) was on the board for the first 2nd round pick. Hurts was there for the second 2nd round pick so I drafted them.

I’m sure settings is part of it and I go with the defaults while making sure its the exact draft order and then on difficult instead of classic.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm

I did a mock this morning and Biadasz (OMG HIS NAME SOUNDS LIKE BAD ASS HAW HAW HAW! WE GOTTA DRAFT HIM!) was on the board for the first 2nd round pick. Hurts was there for the second 2nd round pick so I drafted them.

I’m sure settings is part of it and I go with the defaults while making sure its the exact draft order and then on difficult instead of classic.
I think from a pure ranking standpoint it's pretty accurate, but it doesn't really take into account the importance of positional ranking and how that impacts draft boards.

Some teams would rather have the top ranked center in the draft at say, pick #12, over the 5th ranked Edge rusher. Even though the center might be the 30th ranked prospect overall...while the edge rusher might be the 15th ranked prospect overall.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm

It varies enormously, based on which value board you use.
(If you pay, one of the upgrades is that you can create your own value board to fix any awful rankings.)
The value boards available also improve tremendously as the draft gets closer. Right now any board has at least a dozen, usually a couple dozen, rankings that have me shaking my head in disgust.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Updated my mock.