Panthers are expected to trade Newton

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Here come the Bears rumors again....
The Carolina Panthers made an unexpected Cam Newton decision this week.
Anthony Amador January 18, 2020

It appears the organization will wait for the former MVP to heal up, and then it will trade him to the highest bidder.

This past Wednesday, NFL insider Ian Rapoport appeared on Damon Amendolara’s show and told him he believed a Newton trade was imminent.

“My understanding is that the Panthers will look to [move] Cam Newton when he is healthy,” he said.

“He had surgery with hopes of being healthy in March, so that is the goal, so I would expect him to be healthy in March, right around there, and for them to seek a trade with him regardless.”

Over the past week, Carolina’s head coach Matt Rhule and new offensive coordinator Joe Brady have done a series of interviews. The one underlying theme of each one has been not committing to Newton as the franchise’s quarterback.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Brady was asked whether Newton would return as the Panthers starter in 2020.

The former LSU offensive guru refused to say yes, simply suggesting that he was “excited to get in touch” with Newton to discuss the future.

At a certain point, the non-answers become answers in themselves.

The writing is on the wall.

Newton has repeatedly expressed a desire to stay in Carolina, but ultimately told close confidants that he would be okay with a trade to the Chicago Bears.

Given the offensive calamity that occurred in the Windy City this past season, the Bears could do a lot worse than a healthy Newton at quarterback.

A final decision on Newton’s future likely will not be publicly announced for a few more months, especially not until he fully recovers. But privately, the former MVP’s future with the organization is already sealed.
UOK
Site Admin

I can't see it happening, and it really doesn't make sense for the Bears, either.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't see how Newton coming to the Bears will benefit him or the team
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Newton hasn't thrown for over 4,000 yards since his rookie season in 2011 and has completed only 59.6% of his passes. Much of his success has come from running the ball. How exactly does his skill set fit in with Nagy's offense?

Newton has a career passer rating of 86.1. He will be entering his 10th season, hit his ceiling long ago, is going to command a big money contract and cost draft picks.

Trubisky has a career passer rating of 85.8. He will be entering year 4, remains cheap for another season and still has room to grow.

Weirder things have happened but I see no upside for Pace, Nagy and the Bears in bringing in Newton.
wab
Mod

It makes no sense for the Bears for a lot of reasons.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:38 pm Image
What he said. No reason to go backwards
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Makes more sense for him to be traded to a team bringing in a QB by draft pick. He can be a one year mentor for the guy. If he holds even holds up, no telling if he'll last a season.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

With all my heart no.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Who exactly would trade for him?

I just don't see any landing spot, especially at his contract level, where a trade partner is giving anything for him. Maybe the bucs give a 6th or something like that.

He has never been a good QB and started breaking down due to all the hits.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:43 pm Who exactly would trade for him?

I just don't see any landing spot, especially at his contract level, where a trade partner is giving anything for him. Maybe the bucs give a 6th or something like that.

He has never been a good QB and started breaking down due to all the hits.
I don't see any realistic targets either and there's always Teddy Bridgewater out there, who'd be a better choice. Cincy is going to draft Joe Burrow but has Dalton for another year. Miami has Fitzmagic. The Chargers but there's Teddy. Who knows the mind of Mark Davis. Rumblings about the Colts wanting to move on from Brissett but, again, Newton's not better. The Panthers have him for another year, I think they're just going to have to let the contract play itself out.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.