For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

TE Eric Ebron
26 y/o
6'4", 245 lb
Pro Bowl (2018)

Colts have announced they don't intend to re-sign him. Think the Bears would be interested in investing?
Z Bear
MVP

Only if they cut Burton and eat his $7M dead cap hit. Ebron has underachieved since getting drafted by Detroit, many had this guy as a perennial all-pro coming out of UNC. He caught an abnormal amount of TDs last year, but his his stats the rest of the career is rather average. Also, he was banged up a lot this year. We already have two beat up TEs, I will pass on a third. Hooper or Henry about the only ones that I could see paying big dollars for, but I really do not see that happening.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:33 pm Only if they cut Burton and eat his $7M dead cap hit. Ebron has underachieved since getting drafted by Detroit, many had this guy as a perennial all-pro coming out of UNC. He caught an abnormal amount of TDs last year, but his his stats the rest of the career is rather average. Also, he was banged up a lot this year. We already have two beat up TEs, I will pass on a third. Hooper or Henry about the only ones that I could see paying big dollars for, but I really do not see that happening.
Well in regards to Burton, there's really no reason to cut him until you have to. I don't think his cap should affect how you address the position, its a sunk cost.

I think he'll be a comfortable step below Henry/Hooper cost wise, but we'll see I guess.
IE
Hall of Famer

OK OK.... but only if Andrew Luck comes out of retirement and has secretly wanted to play for the Bears all these years.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Needs surgery on both his ankles if I'm not mistaken and his head coach more or less called him out for trying to protect himself from injury leading into this free agency.

I'd likely pass.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yeah he's at best a middle tier TE. I think lower tier. Even when he had good situations he didnt really produce.

Burton was over valued. While I think talented, he has not lived up to his contract.

Sure TE is a need. The inline TE position was basically covered by UDFAs all year. So I get the thought. I just think any replacement level player adds close to the same production.
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm Needs surgery on both his ankles if I'm not mistaken and his head coach more or less called him out for trying to protect himself from injury leading into this free agency.

I'd likely pass.
This^
wab
Mod

Agree with passing
cblaz11
MVP

I’d rather look for a TE in the draft...there are a few that could be had with one of our 2nd rd picks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'd pass also, I think that some of the best (maybe even the #1) TE's are still going to be on the board when we draft at #43 and #50. I like drafting one, something as I noted a few posts ago we've done sparingly over the last 20+ years.

I'd spend our cash upgrading our OL with blue chip pro's (i.e. Conklin, Sherff, Williams - someone like that). Go big Ryan, you are likely fired if we miss the playoffs next year.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Being from the Detroit area, had to endure this guy while he was with the Lions. He isn't as good as advertised or as he may get paid, plus he drops a lot of balls. I wouldn't waste the money on a guy for one year of good production. I am a bit confused on what I would do here with the TE position. I actually really like the fit of three guys not on anyone's radar yet: Blake Jarwin, Jacob Hollister, and Ricky Seals-Jones. Would love to have Henry or Hooper but could get all three of the other guys for less. Jarwin, catches everything and he can block also. Hollister is a good hands guy who can move the sticks on 3rd downs, and Ricky Seal-Jones is your long threat. I'd cut ties with all our TE's and sign those three if we can't pony up for Hooper or Henry.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I understand the surface appeal of Ebron giving our woes with the position this year. I don't think his performance and injury history make him a good FA choice for out team. Better to draft, and possible find another TE in FA more reasonable.
G08
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:47 am I understand the surface appeal of Ebron giving our woes with the position this year. I don't think his performance and injury history make him a good FA choice for out team. Better to draft, and possible find another TE in FA more reasonable.
Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper in FA and then draft Brycen Hopkins in round 2. Problem solved in my football world.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm If we're talking about TEs in this thread then we have to wonder if the same issue isn't true for this position as with RB. Was it a complete dearth of talent behind Burton or was there a greater underlying cause for the utter lack of production from the position?
You're right... back on topic:

It is a complete lack of talent at the position. Again, look at how TEs are targeted in this system:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G08
Hall of Famer

^ I'll be stunned if TE isn't our #1 focus this off-season. We'll likely overpay for Henry or Hooper (assuming both hit the market) and if we're smart, it'll be for a 3 or 4 year deal with them knowing they will be a focal point of our offense. That will enable them to think about hitting payday #2 at age 30, 31.
G08
Hall of Famer

Really? That would be a shock to me... it's the focal point of this offense if you look at what they are doing in KC and PHI. We can't trot out Shaheen and Burton again; that would be suicide.
wab
Mod

Burton isn’t going anywhere.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 pm Burton isn’t going anywhere.
I know, but we can't trust that dude.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 pm
wab wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 pm Burton isn’t going anywhere.
I know, but we can't trust that dude.
I know. But money dictates this one for 2020.
IE
Hall of Famer

I watched almost every Detroit game since I've been over here. Ebron is "meh"... unless he comes with Luck. Even with Stafford, he was bust-y. 10 isn't going to get anything out of him. He just isn't.

wab... we agree on Howard/Montgomery, that the OTs are likely the same next year, on the right approach to the oline in the draft, and that the TE depth chart is probably not changing.

G... I like the TE stats you shared. I'd like to see those stats trended across the year. For some reason to me it seems the Bears trended up in using the TEs (targeting, and success) as the year went on, they put Burton on ice & they moved away from Shaheen. Not Ertz or Kelce comparisons, of course. But serviceable and some very interesting production. My concern is even if the Bears could land a Hockenson-sorta TE in the 2nd, how much would that really move the needle vs the current guys? One big thing here, is I really like Holtz out there. He's more of an H of course. But he has a little "Kittle heart" in him, and that's something I think a different OC could get even more out of.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

You know, have any of you guys stopped to think for just one minute what Eric Ebron might think if he visited this thread and saw that the last several posts have nothing to do with him?

wab
Mod

Some fuel to the speculation fire. Chicago seems to be Ebron's preferred destination.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/ ... ago-bears/
dplank
Hall of Famer

I bet he could be had on a “prove it” deal, which I’d be in full support of. Being released by the Lions, then Ballard saying matter of factly that they’ll move on from him, has him in career resuscitation mode moreso than cash in mode.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:09 pm I bet he could be had on a “prove it” deal, which I’d be in full support of. Being released by the Lions, then Ballard saying matter of factly that they’ll move on from him, has him in career resuscitation mode moreso than cash in mode.
I could absolutely get down with one of those popular 1yr prove it deals.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:09 pm I bet he could be had on a “prove it” deal, which I’d be in full support of. Being released by the Lions, then Ballard saying matter of factly that they’ll move on from him, has him in career resuscitation mode moreso than cash in mode.
I'd prefer that... Dude literally put himself on IR this season to protect his free agency interests.

Plus, he has the dropsies like a mother fucker. Don't want to give him big money or a long contract.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 am Teams have won for decades without an elite TE, but an elite OL makes everything easier.
After either SF or KC wins this SB. It will be 5 years SINCE a team won WITHOUT an elite TE. (6 out of the last 7 have had one too, FWIW)
We had a top 10 defense last year, but the Raiders kicked the shit out of us with that line. We need a line like that.
A lot of good it did them. It all amounted to another losing season.

I'm a big proponent of O-line being of the UTMOST importance. But this is a poor model of what we want to be. Gruden's offense has next to no chance in this day and age.
UOK
Site Admin

Players seem to gravitate toward the following:
  • Guaranteed money
  • Attention and wooing from GM/Coaches/players
  • Opportunity for a starting role
  • Quality of facilities
  • Quality/weather of city
  • Friends on the roster
The Bears have gone through the ringer of "this guy looks like he'll be joining the Bears for sure" based on social media teases and the like, only to sign elsewhere. Albert Wilson's a memorable one.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think friends and culture play a large role in players want to go. Of course, money also talks while the opportunity to win sways some more than others. Nagy has said he wants to create a culture here that makes players want to come to Chicago. Robinson said he came here because he loved the offensive scheme, HHCD had a close buddy on the roster already in Bojack, and Cordarelle Patterson said he kept seeing how much fun our team had on TV and wanted badly to be a part of it.

We are in good shape in this regard, honestly. We also have the top facility in the NFL (as of this moment).

Back on topic:

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Ebron coming here, but the drops are consistent and concern me. Here's what he had to say about Mitch:
"He was on the practice squad," Ebron said, "and I was just amazed how well he threw the damn football. I mean, there isn't a place he couldn't put the football. And I can't wait for him to develop in this league. I told him that. 'You can do this, bro. There's a lot of people we played with that come into the NFL, and I'm like, ehhh? But you? You can do this.'

That quarterback? Mitchell Trubisky.

"I know he played well last week," Ebron said, "but I look forward to kicking his ass this week. And we'll trade jerseys afterward, because that's my guy."
The cynic in me thinks he knows the vital role a TE plays in this offense and if he finds success he can put up some monster numbers and get paid. No way in hell I break the bank for him, but I'd give him 2 years, $15 million with $8 million guaranteed (comp: Jared Cook in 2019).

If he breaks out, hey extend him and kick Burton to the curb after 2020. If he doesn't, rely on the TE you drafted high.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I'd be very happy with Ebron on a 1 year prove it deal. I think he could really excel in this offense. I also very much dislike Burton so anything to get him off the field is ok with me.

I also just want to ask, why are people so sure Pace and Nagy are on the hot seat? I keep seeing that posted in threads. Maybe with fans, but I have an extremely hard time believing Bears ownership are down on Pace and Nagy. Pace has transformed this roster in a good way imo and I believe ownership sees it the same way as I do. Nagy has not had a losing season and is a young guy the team loves. They both have minimum 2 years and thats even if we end up with the number 1 pick in the draft next season, as long as the team doesnt quit on Nagy which they wont. Bears ownership is far more patient than fans and the ownership is the opinion that actually matters.
UOK
Site Admin

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 am I also just want to ask, why are people so sure Pace and Nagy are on the hot seat? I keep seeing that posted in threads. Maybe with fans, but I have an extremely hard time believing Bears ownership are down on Pace and Nagy. Pace has transformed this roster in a good way imo and I believe ownership sees it the same way as I do. Nagy has not had a losing season and is a young guy the team loves. They both have minimum 2 years and thats even if we end up with the number 1 pick in the draft next season, as long as the team doesnt quit on Nagy which they wont. Bears ownership is far more patient than fans and the ownership is the opinion that actually matters.

They're a vocal minority.

George McCaskey has publicly and recently backed Pace to the media, Nagy as well. Phillips too was blown away by Pace's interview, and in the years since has said nothing but praise regarding Pace.

Pace is on contract through 2021, Nagy's deal through 2022.

I think those timelines are very fair.