Bears hot on the TE trail?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

Not surprising. The Bears are in a pretty good spot in the 2nd to pick one of the top TEs. Hopkins is my preference.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I like Hopkins alot and I'm worried he'll rise. Three of the best teams in the NFL this year relied heavily on TEs - 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs. It feels like a year where teams will overdraft guys and the commentators will be saying "copycat league" and giving them comps they don't deserve. I'm worried that 3-4 go in the first 40 picks and the Bears have to decide whether or not to overdraft the 5th best guy in the 2nd.

It'll be interesting to see how these guys do blocking in the senior bowl practices, and who can actually make contested catches
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm I like Hopkins alot and I'm worried he'll rise. Three of the best teams in the NFL this year relied heavily on TEs - 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs. It feels like a year where teams will overdraft guys and the commentators will be saying "copycat league" and giving them comps they don't deserve. I'm worried that 3-4 go in the first 40 picks and the Bears have to decide whether or not to overdraft the 5th best guy in the 2nd.

It'll be interesting to see how these guys do blocking in the senior bowl practices, and who can actually make contested catches
Fair point. I could see Kmet and Hopkins going early. Kmet is going to get some Kittle comps.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Hopkins did come in slightly shorter than what Purdue listed him as. They listed him as 6'5 but he came in at 6'3 1/2 - not overly concerning but thought I'd point that out.
Never Die Easy
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm Hopkins did come in slightly shorter than what Purdue listed him as. They listed him as 6'5 but he came in at 6'3 1/2 - not overly concerning but thought I'd point that out.
Came in at that height where?
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:55 pm
DaSuperfan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm Hopkins did come in slightly shorter than what Purdue listed him as. They listed him as 6'5 but he came in at 6'3 1/2 - not overly concerning but thought I'd point that out.
East/West Shrine Game
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:38 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm I like Hopkins alot and I'm worried he'll rise. Three of the best teams in the NFL this year relied heavily on TEs - 49ers, Ravens, Chiefs. It feels like a year where teams will overdraft guys and the commentators will be saying "copycat league" and giving them comps they don't deserve. I'm worried that 3-4 go in the first 40 picks and the Bears have to decide whether or not to overdraft the 5th best guy in the 2nd.

Fair point. I could see Kmet and Hopkins going early. Kmet is going to get some Kittle comps.
I've watched a little bit of Kmet and I think he's a little bit stiff in the hips man. Curious to see his cone to help confirm or reject my concern.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

Senior Bowl today measured him at 6036, 241 lbs, 10 1/8" hands, 32" arms, 76 1/2" wingspan

G08
Hall of Famer

Keep an eye on this kid... TE Adam Trautman, Dayton:

Height: 6-5″
Weight: 251
Arm: 32 1/2″
Hand: 9 5/8″
There’s no denying Trautman won the day and was hands down the best tight end during the first Senior Bowl practice of 2020. He looked smooth, athletic, and stood out in every area. He consistently won out during one-on-one drills and as one scout put it, Trautman looked better catching the ball than most of the receivers.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Ain't no one heard of Adam Troutman.

Dude looks like he is playing JV guys. My first thought was "he runs up right like Shaheen and doesnt turn his hips like him too. I hope the kid has a great career, my first thoughts where of our small school TE named Sdam and it probably clouded my mind.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

He better look like he's playing against JV guys.

Indiana St, Robert Morris, Drake, Valpo.. Stop me when I get to another team that will have a drafted player...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

KC, San Fran, and Baltimore all show what effective tight end play brings. New England showed how the loss of Gronk hampered their offense. The Bears need to sign one in free agency and add a young one also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 pm Ain't no one heard of Adam Troutman.

Dude looks like he is playing JV guys. My first thought was "he runs up right like Shaheen and doesnt turn his hips like him too. I hope the kid has a great career, my first thoughts where of our small school TE named Sdam and it probably clouded my mind.
The Cooler King wrote: He better look like he's playing against JV guys.

Indiana St, Robert Morris, Drake, Valpo.. Stop me when I get to another team that will have a drafted player...
Don't shoot the messenger boys

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 pm Ain't no one heard of Adam Troutman.

The Cooler King wrote: He better look like he's playing against JV guys.

Don't shoot the messenger boys

I'm not saying you can't draft a small school guy. I agree with Pace though, at that level they better be absolutely dominant against the comp.
UOK
Site Admin

BUT HE'S A BIG WHITE GUY NAMED ADAM AND HIS LAST NAME HAS TROUT IN IT THAT'S STUPID I DON'T WANT HIM HE'S BASICALLY SHAHEEN 2.0
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:30 am BUT HE'S A BIG WHITE GUY NAMED ADAM AND HIS LAST NAME HAS TROUT IN IT THAT'S STUPID I DON'T WANT HIM HE'S BASICALLY SHAHEEN 2.0
I love that my brain immediately read that in a meatball Score caller's voice.

This board has literally warped my brain.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:30 am BUT HE'S A BIG WHITE GUY NAMED ADAM AND HIS LAST NAME HAS TROUT IN IT THAT'S STUPID I DON'T WANT HIM HE'S BASICALLY SHAHEEN 2.0

I will admit that the lingering sting from the blown Shaheen pick has caused me to not want anything to do with this Trautman dude. Unfair or not.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am

I will admit that the lingering sting from the blown Shaheen pick has caused me to not want anything to do with this Trautman dude. Unfair or not.
Yeah I don’t care if this guy has the same last name as Rambo’s boss or not, one of the worst things to have happened to mock drafts is Gronk. Now you’ve “gotta” draft a TE early to keep up with the Joneses.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Officially at the Senior Bowl measurements.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Difference between Shaheen and Trautman, is I don't think Shaheen was invited to Senior Bowl week. There wasn't a full week of practice to evaluate him against better competition. Seems like Trautman has been impressing against D1 players, so that's encouraging. I understand the comp, but sometimes you just have evaluate them independently. Many thought the same during the draft when it came to Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes. Rodgers was supposedly a Tedford QB, therefore he'd be a bust in the NFL. Mahomes came from Texas Tech, a school that has never produced a top flight QB because the offense was too gimmicky. Or the Penn State RB's stigma - looks like Larry Johnson, Barkley and Miles Sanders have dispelled that one.

Just because he's a small school TE with the same first name as Shaheen doesn't automatically mean he's going to flop. Personally, I find him very intriguing - especially with our R4 comp pick, if he's still around and we didn't grab Hopkins in R2.
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 pm Just because he's a small school TE with the same first name as Shaheen doesn't automatically mean he's going to flop. Personally, I find him very intriguing - especially with our R4 comp pick, if he's still around and we didn't grab Hopkins in R2.
True, and dont take my statement as negative necessarily. I do think Shaheen could have been a serviceable TE physically. Injuries and I believe likely mentally are his problem.

The college tape though only 1 game, reminds me of watching Shaheens college tape. They even blocked in line similar. Now i dont know if the surface connections made the running style blocking style stick out more or not. Neither of which is wrong either.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pmI will admit that the lingering sting from the blown Shaheen pick has caused me to not want anything to do with this Trautman dude. Unfair or not.
Fair or not, if Pace did draft this kid and he ends up getting injured Pace will be roasted.
G08
Hall of Famer

It’s something Bengals tight ends coach James Casey looks forward to.

“When you first put the film on you see him and you say, ‘OK, he looks the part,’” Casey said. “Then you see him run and it’s like ‘wow.’ He stands out. He looks like a man among boys out there. They did a lot of NFL-style stuff on offense and you look at his size and how big that dude is and how he moves, his hips, his athleticism, how he runs, I’m excited to get to know that guy a little bit and see him in these practices.”

G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:40 pm Difference between Shaheen and Trautman, is I don't think Shaheen was invited to Senior Bowl week. There wasn't a full week of practice to evaluate him against better competition. Seems like Trautman has been impressing against D1 players, so that's encouraging. I understand the comp, but sometimes you just have evaluate them independently. Many thought the same during the draft when it came to Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes. Rodgers was supposedly a Tedford QB, therefore he'd be a bust in the NFL. Mahomes came from Texas Tech, a school that has never produced a top flight QB because the offense was too gimmicky. Or the Penn State RB's stigma - looks like Larry Johnson, Barkley and Miles Sanders have dispelled that one.

Just because he's a small school TE with the same first name as Shaheen doesn't automatically mean he's going to flop. Personally, I find him very intriguing - especially with our R4 comp pick, if he's still around and we didn't grab Hopkins in R2.
This is a good point. The all star games give the small school guys a chance to compete against guys who've played in the gigs, so to speak. It lets you see if the stage is too big for them, or if instead they rise to the occasion.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Well certainly sounds like Trautmans rising. I think if you want him it may have to be in the second round.
G08
Hall of Famer

*giggles uncontrollably*

I think I'd be happy with Ebron in FA and this dude as a hedge to Burton in 2020 (and of course takes his job in 2021).

wab
Mod

I'm all aboard the Hopkins train. I'm going to need a little more coaxing on the Trautman thing.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:42 am I'm all aboard the Hopkins train. I'm going to need a little more coaxing on the Trautman thing.