San Francisco 49ers
67%
Kansas City Chiefs
33%

Total votes: 9
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

Game is in Miami and the AFC is the home team, not that home team designation really means much in the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs have been playing with fire during the post season, spotting their opponents points before opening up themselves. Not necessarily a formula for success but has certainly worked for them.

The 49ers seem to be the more balanced team on both sides of the ball, plus they beat the hated Packers to get to the Super Bowl. And they beat Goon Bay only having to pass 8 times as their running game simply destroyed the Packers.

I think this is going to be a very good Super Bowl. I also think the Chiefs will again spot their opponent points before getting themselves in gear. I think both teams will score over 30, with the difference being a final spectacular scoring drive by the Chiefs to close it out.

Chiefs 37 49ers 32

Who ya got?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I went with the 49’ers. Nothing against the Chiefs and Mahomes will get another shot at it in his career. Maybe 3 or 4 shots at it.

The Chiefs have gotten behind against both the Texans and the Titans. If that happens with the 49’ers, I think San Fran’s defense doesn’t cough up the lead.

SF has the running game, I think they have the better defense, and while Mahomes is clearly the better QB, Jimmy G is no slouch.

I’m just glad the pressure is off without having GB in the game. I can relax and enjoy it.

49’ers 27
Chiefs 21
wab
Mod

I'm conflicted. I like the Niners but I like Andy Reid. I have a lot of annoying chiefs fan friends, so I'll root for the Niners.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As I sit here this minute I have no idea who I will root for. Glad both teams made it to the SB. THis is the matchup I preferred all along.

I like both teams. I kind of lean toward the Chiefs because it has been 50 yrs. I want to see Reid get his ring.

I really like how SF plays. The run game, the kick ass, physical WRs/TE. Jimmy G seems like a good genuine dude.

I will probably root for whoever gets behind first......................maybe. The draw to the Chiefs maybe too strong though.

To win:

Chiefs 37
9ers 27

I hope that all play well and there is no single player or play that determines the game. Nothing I hate worse then to hear fans talking about someone or some team "choking." Hate that fucking word.
UOK
Site Admin

49ers are my pick. Garropolo is an alumni of my college and if Mahomes wins it'll be just another "SHOULDNT HAVE DRAFTED TRUBINSKY" talking point for idiots.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Should be a great game with contrasting styles.

Favor the Chiefs because they have 2 weeks for Kelce to heal up and too much speed for the 49s' coverage. Maybe Chris Jones gets healthier too, a key player on their D.

The 49s will play a lot of zone trying to keep it underneath, but Mahomes is a smart, deadly QB who will dice them up with quick throws on crossing routes underneath negating 49s' excellent pass rush.

Was very impressed with the 49s' blocking last week, so the Chiefs have to make that job 1 to stop the run. They won't, but I doubt the 49s' stable will be running through the front 7 untouched like last week.

Garappolo can throw some picks too. Last week he barely threw the ball because of the big lead. Will have to throw much more often in a likely high-scoring game.

Chiefs 34
49s 27

I'm pulling for the 49s though. Mahomes has gotten a big head. The countdown in the Bears' game was bush league.
Last edited by Drone7 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Forgot Chiefs have Khalen Saunders, WIU alum!!!!!!!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I picked San Fran but hope KC wins, they’ve been my second team as I moved from there to Chicago long ago.. I think the SF defense will prove to be the deciding factor.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Xee
Site Admin

I usually don't care much for football that doesn't concern the Bears but this is a Superbowl I might actually take time out to watch. I don't have a dog in the fight so I'll be happy for either to win and hopefully it will be a good, clean fight with no controversial calls/plays that will mar it.

As for my guess, I'm going to go with the 49ers just based on the way they dismantled the Packers.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I would put $ on the Chiefs, cheer for the 49ers, and not be disappointed either way.
This is a good matchup.
Last edited by MoFugger on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I expect the Chiefs to win this game (which makes me happy that Andy Reid gets a ring but sad that Frank Clark and Tyreek Hill each get one too), but will only be mildly surprised if the Niners pull it out.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Ormazd
MVP

I was pulling for "anyone but the Packers", but it's also nice not to have the Patriots in the game for once. I like both these teams, and am hoping for a great, evenly matched game.

I've rooted for the 49ers in every one of their Super Bowls, so I'll stick with that this time. I won't lose any sleep if the Chiefs win and get Andy Reid his due.

Chiefs 34, 49ers 31
docc
Head Coach

KC..takes it after 50 years...31-20
both QBs..under 80 rating.. Mahomes 2 TD 2 INT
26 41 63.4 286 7.0 2 2 3 17 79.9
Grappolo
20 31 64.5 219 7.1 1 2 1 9 69.2 0

So..it goes..
The Walrus gets a SB...
UOK
Site Admin

Awesome for them.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I wanted the Niners. But I’m glad Andy got his ring.

The noise about Trubisky being picked before Mahomes will now become deafening.
docc
Head Coach

Really ?
Mahomes 2 TD 2 INT

A Trubisky type stat line...
wab
Mod

docc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:18 pm Really ?
Mahomes 2 TD 2 INT

Taking nothing away from Mahomes overall, but the fact that he was named MPV is a joke. He played like dogshit for 45 minutes.
G08
Hall of Famer

Agreed... Mahomes didn't deserve to be named Super Bowl MVP, but it is what it is
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

You knew Mahomes would get it if KC won. I thought Williams should have gotten it, but oh well.

WTF was Shanahan hoarding TOs for on that last drive. 1:40 something to go, 3 TOS and he doesn't use any especially on 4th and 10!!!!!! And the drive before the half, he got a little pussified.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:56 pm You knew Mahomes would get it if KC won. I thought Williams should have gotten it, but oh well.

WTF was Shanahan hoarding TOs for on that last drive. 1:40 something to go, 3 TOS and he doesn't use any especially on 4th and 10!!!!!! And the drive before the half, he got a little pussified.
Yeah, the commentators stated that he must be "happy" with the 10-10 score going into the half. Why? That was just playing not to lose in my opinion.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mahomes played like he had the jitters for 3 quarters.

Second pick was on the receiver but still he didn't play great until the chips were down and he turned the magic on. Looking at the way the game went and how they scored twice in the 4th he was pretty much a lock. If hill would have not alligatored that interception he might of got it just based on stats/yardage, but mahomes threw 2 tds and ran for one, comeback, GWD, that pretty much seals it.

I really thought the niners had them and the formula but they just couldn't sustain drives or get stops late.

I did enjoy the heck out of watching Sherman being the most common target all game long. He got eaten up.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If there is no other obvious MVP candidate the award always goes to the winning QB. Frankly it's rather tiresome. QB may be the most important position, but it isn't always the QB who had the best game. Mahomes wasn't great in this one.

Anyway, a really entertaining game up until the final few minutes. It would have been awesome if Garoppolo had connected on that deep throw for a TD, it would really have made the ending one to remember. Amazed he missed that because I've been given to believe by members on this message board that only Trubisky does that.

Good to see Dave Toub get a ring, although if the 49ers had won I'd be saying the same about Robbie Gould.
spudbear
MVP

Yeah, Mahomes got MVP more by default, though you could make the argument that he was the main reason the Chiefs won the two games that got them to Miami. I was as surprised as anyone else that he played tight and was inaccurate for a good part of the game. He's still somewhat of a kid and to his credit he played through it and made the plays that counted in the 4th qtr.

We also saw that Jimmy G could not carry Montana's luggage, literally. He made a couple of good throws but was unable to keep plays alive as well as consistently making good throws. He's also not mobile and it showed last night. For the regular season he had 46 rushes for 63 yards. As I watched him i wondered if Mitch would have had the same performance and not be able to elevate his team. Mitch's strength is his mobility and scrambling, where Pace and company would do well to remember that and allow Mitch to run the offense.

The Niners will have some soul-searching this offseason. They are not built to come from behind, though their D will take them far. It wasn't until the 4th qtr until Mahomes exposed their relatively weak DB's. Like all other teams they can't be strong everywhere. Will Jimmy G be "the man" in SF?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:18 pm Really ?
Mahomes 2 TD 2 INT

I agree although it was in a Super Bowl he led his team to and won in the 4th quarter.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Good, see-saw game between a team with better lines and a team with a much more talented QB.

Far as the questionable decision before the half, maybe Shanny feared a turnover at 10-10, which isn't a bad half time score against the Chiefs especially when getting the ball to start the second half. Might have been concerned about a play like Jimmy G's first pick.

I was surprised Shanny didn't call more screens against their pressure packages. And roll Jimmy G out more. Jimmy G played ok, but his first pick was a dreadful decision and he badly overthrew Saunders late who had a generous step on the defender.

Thought Reid played it too close to the vest in the 1st half. Intermediate routes were there. They had a chance to pad the lead early, but Williams quit on a route that should have been a TD. 49s did a good job in the pits thereafter and seemed to have them on the ropes. The Chiefs' LT and RG really struggled.

Great players step up and that's what Mahomes did with the late, clutch deep throw to Hill ; and a nice feathered throw later to Watkins down the sideline.

Erratic game by Mahomes, but he deserved the MVP. Some good scrambles. 4th quarter is the money quarter and he stepped up. Agree, he was a bit amped up early and not as accurate as usual. Winning the SB will settle him down when they get there next.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mahomes certainly didn't look like himself for 3 quarters ... he was missing throws he was making in his sleep all season ... he kind of reminded me of a baseball pitcher trying to get a little extra on a pitch for a K and ends up dirting it in front of the plate ... Mahomes was trying the same and it made him very inconsistent

the entire Chiefs team made up for it in the 4th quarter ... defense got the stops they needed and the offense got the scores they needed

this was a fun game to watch IMO

and I am very happy for Andy Reid ... the "can't win the big one" monkey is off his back and he deserved that to happen
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 am Mahomes certainly didn't look like himself for 3 quarters ... he was missing throws he was making in his sleep all season ... he kind of reminded me of a baseball pitcher trying to get a little extra on a pitch for a K and ends up dirting it in front of the plate ... Mahomes was trying the same and it made him very inconsistent

the entire Chiefs team made up for it in the 4th quarter ... defense got the stops they needed and the offense got the scores they needed

this was a fun game to watch IMO

and I am very happy for Andy Reid ... the "can't win the big one" monkey is off his back and he deserved that to happen
I thought maybe he got his bell rung on one of them early hits