Bears Franchise Direction: Everything's Awful/Things Aren't So Bad/Etc.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BR0D1E86
MVP

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 am
dplank wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am Like a bullet from a gun...."Bull" + "It"

If you can get your hands on Jefferson's bourbon, I highly recommend it.
Haha, seriously? I assumed it had French routes and was pronounced something like 'boo-lay'.
It's named after the family that founded the distillery. The name have be French in origin, but we definitely don't use a French pronunciation of the bourbon.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am Like a bullet from a gun...."Bull" + "It"

If you can get your hands on Jefferson's bourbon, I highly recommend it.
@Johnny Bollocks Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my favorites right now
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

Best single malt I ever had was Michael Collins. Like drinking whiskey butter. Irresponsibly smooth.

Edit: Also I love that the discussion about the Bears franchise has inevitably led to talking about liquor, haha.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Shows the state of the team, conversation has moved on to hard liquor.

Not a hard liquor guy for many reasons so don't expirement with many whiskeys/bourbons. I do like the Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey though. Pretty dangerous for me as I love about anything peanut butter
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:37 am Shows the state of the team, conversation has moved on to hard liquor.

Not a hard liquor guy for many reasons so don't expirement with many whiskeys/bourbons. I do like the Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey though. Pretty dangerous for me as I love about anything peanut butter

I am a peanut butter savage. If it's peanut butter related, I am immediately entranced. I'm going to start a PB thread.
IE
Hall of Famer

Screwball is pretty great. Had it with Raspberry liquor? Tastes like PBJ.

I'm not much for bourbon straight up, but some of the "enhanced" varieties are great. I love Jack Fire, and if you've never had Heritage's Brown Sugar Bourbon give it a try. Sweet but deadly easy.

I stop boozing completely after the Bears are done playing, since I typically gain 20 every fall from OD-ing on beer, pizza & wings. The Bears only drive me to drink during the season. lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I can't do flavored stuff. I'm a straight bourbon guy... neat or with a large cube.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I get alcohol induced respiratory reactions which are a by product of the alcohol flush reaction. It varies how bad it gets from time to time, but there are times a half beer in and I get these problems. It sucks, but I guess it keeps me from being an alcoholic.
UOK
Site Admin

Saints looking to get a 1st/2nd for Taysom Hill, apparently:

wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:57 pm Saints looking to get a 1st/2nd for Taysom Hill, apparently:

They cray. I get that he's a pretty dynamic athlete, but he's a soon-to-be 30 year old QB who has attempted 13 whole passes in his career.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea, I like HIll but a 1st or 2nd seems too pricey.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 pm Yea, I like HIll but a 1st or 2nd seems too pricey.
And yet they’re going with Hill over trying to re-sign Bridgewater. They must figure Hill will be much cheaper.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

As much as I'm tempted to wade into the booze discussion...

For contract and cap reasons alone, I think we see only small changes to the roster this year. Trubisky will be the starting QB (my first choice backup QB for this 1-2 year tail end of the window with the current core is Alex Smith if he's willing to take better-than-Chase Daniel backup money rather than chase a starting job, but I don't think that happens)
Leno, Massie, Burton all remain starters this year for cap reasons if nothing else. On offense, we need to get healthy, get a starting RG and draft a TE (Thaddeus Moss is more of a Y TE, which, if we believe Burton can come back healthy, actually fits our needs -- could be an interesting gamble)
I expect Taylor Gabriel to be released, Robinson to be extended, the young WRs to get more opportunities. I'd like to see if Patterson can play more WR this year, but I'm not expecting him to suddenly blossom into a starting-caliber WR this deep into his career.
I expect another late round or UFA RB, I wish we could have kept Whyte, but that's not how things went.
I love Trevathan but unless he takes a very team friendly deal, I have to presume we move on from him, so Kwitkowski gets a low-mid level starter's extension and slots in next to Smith for the next few years. I'd like to see us re-sign Pierre Lewis as well for depth and coverage sub packages
Given recent movements, I presume Prince Amukamara is released for cap reasons -- and he appears to have lost a step. Tolliver, Skrine, and Roberson compete for the starting CB spot opposite fuller, if Skrine wins the #2 CB spot, Duke Shelley slots into the NB spot
The Safety spot opposite Jackson is up in the air. I'm not sure Clinton-Dix played himself out of our reach cap-wise, but I also don't think he was the best fit. I could see a lot of different scenarios here, but we need to be very cost-conscious at this spot -- most likely scenario is probably a small extension for Deon Bush, pace drafts a mid-round safety and they compete for that starting spot.

Overall, if we can fix the O-line, specifically cutting down on the mental mistakes and getting the run game back (which I'm hopeful given the coaching hires), and have fewer key injuries than last year, I see a roster that can make a playoff run in 2020. I'm not sure we can beat teams like KC or SF, at least not without a healthy dose of luck, but I think we can get back to the playoffs, and after that, it's all a question of who gets hot and lucky at the right time.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yep all good assumptions, B&C.

I can't believe the Saints are letting Bridgewater walk. Maybe it is just simply a cost thing, as long as Brees is playing. But damn Teddy is young and Drew is not. I wonder if they know something about Teddy's health that everyone else doesn't.
G08
Hall of Famer

*whispers* Maybe Bridgewater isn't as good as some are hyping him up to be...

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:34 pm *whispers* Maybe Bridgewater isn't as good as some are hyping him up to be...
A) He's not all that good. Good call, somehow that gets missed.
B) He's a runny fart away from having to retire.
C) He's projected to make a ton of money (I suspect he'll have to take a lot less mainly because of B.

Way too much risk on the risk/reward scale for me.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Bridgewater's a better QB than Trubisky; but his knee was permanently damaged, so I doubt he has long term starter potential. He's also better than Daniel, so he would upgrade #2.

Question is, how much do they want to still run R/O, RPOs? They would not want to do that as often if Bridgewater came into the game.

I also wonder how much Trubisky's teammates would still back him if they concluded from preseason work that the backup was better.
G08
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:27 pm Bridgewater's a better QB than Trubisky
"Joe Flacco is a very good QB"

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:34 pm *whispers* Maybe Bridgewater isn't as good as some are hyping him up to be...
He isn't.

The vikes were ready to move on when he got hurt. His nickname was checkdown teddy and fans wanted his head on a pike from consistent 5 yd dumps on 3rd and long.

He also takes a ton of sacks.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 pm
He isn't.

The vikes were ready to move on when he got hurt. His nickname was checkdown teddy and fans wanted his head on a pike from consistent 5 yd dumps on 3rd and long.

He also takes a ton of sacks.
This. It's funny how football fans have a habit of conveniently forgetting a lot of things.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Bridgewater : G (44) ATT (1,070) Comp % (65.2) Yards per Completion (7.2) TD/INT 38/25 QB rating (88.3)

Trubisky: G (41) ATT (1,280) COMP% (63.4) Yards per Completion (6.7) TD/INT 48/29 QB rating (85.8)

Trubisky moves much better and has healthy knees, so he can run the full gamut of plays.

Bridgewater is more steady, accurate, fundamentally sound.

So their significant stats are fairly close, but maybe I should have also said it's a low bar.

To be clear. Not excited about either QB as a starter.
G08
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am Bridgewater : G (44) ATT (1,070) Comp % (65.2) Yards per Completion (7.2) TD/INT 38/25 QB rating (88.3)

Trubisky: G (41) ATT (1,280) COMP% (63.4) Yards per Completion (6.7) TD/INT 48/29 QB rating (85.8)

Trubisky moves much better and has healthy knees, so he can run the full gamut of plays.

So their significant stats are fairly close, but maybe I should have also said it's a low bar.

Joe Flacco: 84.1 career rating and you called him a very good QB.

BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:04 pm
Drone7 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am Bridgewater : G (44) ATT (1,070) Comp % (65.2) Yards per Completion (7.2) TD/INT 38/25 QB rating (88.3)

Joe Flacco: 84.1 career rating and you called him a very good QB.
Please link to the original source of that claim. I need a good laugh
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Drone7
Player of the Month

BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm
Year 3, year 2 in Nagy's offense, Trubisky took steps both forward and back, and caught a lot of the blame for things outside his control (especially regression on the line, but also less consistency in the run game and more dropped passes). Positive things to look at include bringing his Interception % down (from 2.8% in 2018 to 1.9% in 2019). There were certainly downsides to his play and the offense overall, but I saw development.

None of the above seems unreasonable to me, but the longer I pay attention to the average fan, the less reasonable the average fan seems to me.
Or, you could laugh at yourself. Ever done that?

It won't hurt too much?
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Drone7 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:43 pm
BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:27 pm
Year 3, year 2 in Nagy's offense, Trubisky took steps both forward and back, and caught a lot of the blame for things outside his control (especially regression on the line, but also less consistency in the run game and more dropped passes). Positive things to look at include bringing his Interception % down (from 2.8% in 2018 to 1.9% in 2019). There were certainly downsides to his play and the offense overall, but I saw development.

None of the above seems unreasonable to me, but the longer I pay attention to the average fan, the less reasonable the average fan seems to me.
Or, you could laugh at yourself. Ever done that?

It won't hurt too much?
Plenty of times. But that's irrelevant here. Do you have a meaningful response to the point above or are you simply demonstrating why people appear to be generally dismissing your opinions on this board?
Drone7
Player of the Month

Other than you, I've had several pleasant or at least civil exchanges on the board. I've read several smart comments and it's well-moderated.

Here's a suggestion. Why don't we ignore each other's content and deal with those we want to?

I'm not here to conflict with anyone.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

By all means, I've yet to see much in the way of content from you that requires effort to ignore.
I shall somehow have to struggle on without the benefit of your obviously superior eye for quarterback evaluation
Drone7
Player of the Month

When I joined here, I didn't pose as an expert. Stated I had a moderate (fan's) knowledge of football.

I don't delve into watching the games over like I used to or purchase the 22 package. So my opinions are impressions and subject to change. I've been wrong before about personnel as events unfold. And I'm eager to learn from others here / elsewhere. Almost every time I read Brad Biggs' 10 Things column, I learn facts I didn't know about the team's performance just watching the game once through.

You seem intelligent so maybe we can co-exist and avoid clashing.
UOK
Site Admin

Less of ... whatever that was, and more focused convo on the topic at hand, please.
IE
Hall of Famer

I still don't think the playground pecking order has been fully established. How do we know whose non-professional opinions are better? Or who is liked better? These are important things.

I guess I'll go with the person I agree with on each topic - you know, the smart one.

:evilgrin: