Peanut Butter (also grocery stores)

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Peanut butter is amazing.

Myself, I'm a Peter Pan man, but peanut butter cookies, Reese's PB cups, whatever - just give it to me.

I probably eat a PBJ with strawberry jam every day.
wab
Mod

I eat a PB sandwich at least three times a week at work for lunch. I also eat peanut butter toast almost every morning.

Both are usually with strawberry jam or honey. I'm a Jif dude, but only because that's all we bought as a kid and I just kept buying it into adulthood.

I will say that I'm not a HUGE fan of most PB based candies. But that's probably because I'm not a big candy person. Reece's Pieces though... yes.
Xee
Site Admin

PBJ with a tall glass of cold milk is one of my favorite comfort meals. I started buying the peanut butter from Costco that doesn't have added sugar and the oil separates if you leave it too long and you need to try and mix it back in when you want to use it. The consistency is not the same as your normal peanut butter brands but I've gotten used to it. I have to have it with grape jelly though; it's just a classic combination.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Peanuts are sprayed with pesticides. I try to avoid eating things that are heavily sprayed: strawberries, apples, corn, celery, peanuts etc,..

Not only do you ingest the pesticide residues, but the organic soils are much healthier, so I believe you get more nutrition in the products also.

Whole Foods makes a bargain organic brand called 365 Organic Crunchy PB--just organic peanuts, sea salt and organic cane sugar. Good flavor: maybe not as good as your favorite brand, but close. It's pre-made and doesn't separate out the oil much. I suppose the best would be to grind organic, roasted peanuts and mix them with sea salt and (raw) honey to taste, but that's work.

A good PB + J is a wonderful culinary invention of the good old USA...I also like smearing peanut butter (or other nut butters) on organic celery or on organic apples--almost takes on a caramel apple flavor.
Last edited by Drone7 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

I don't care if they spray it with battery acid. I'm eating Jif and Smuckers....erryday.
UOK
Site Admin

I gave the "Goober" PBJ mix another shot a few years ago, and....meh. The classic PBJ spread separately on not-crap bread with a cold glass of milk is the way to go.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I go with Jif as my commercial favorite ... love PBJ sandwiches ever since I was a kid and that has never changed my entire life

we used to have a Weis Market in the area with a machine to make your own fresh ground peanut butter right in the store ... just choose your size, place the container, and hit the button ... I'd bring it home and mix honey in it to make it a bit smoother ... but then the great peanut allergy crises happened, and they got rid of the machine

I mean I understand folks with allergies but I would have thought they could have figured a way to protect them while letting the rest of us get our fresh peanut butter
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 pm The classic PBJ spread separately on not-crap bread
Bro... Nature's Own Brioche Style is where it's at.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 pm The classic PBJ spread separately on not-crap bread
Best bread, I shit you not, is from Wal Mart. "English Toasting Bread" is the best, hands down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshness-Gu ... z/52145686
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm

Best bread, I shit you not, is from Wal Mart. "English Toasting Bread" is the best, hands down.

I don't go to Wal-Mart all that often, but I will definitely look for this next time I'm there.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm

I don't go to Wal-Mart all that often, but I will definitely look for this next time I'm there.
I live about 3 minutes from a Wal Mart so that plus their online pickup is sort of a no-brainer. We hit up Aldi for their ready-to-cook pizzas (and the Aldi Finds aisle), however.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Bread is good with PB + J, but prefer English muffins. Bays' in the refigerator case are better than Thomas' on the store shelf.

I like the way a toasted muffin melts the peanut butter underneath the jam.

Also tastes real good with beer.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I made my wife eat peanut butter when she was pregnant and while nursing just to see if that would help prevent our 2 kids from getting the allergy (she hates peanut butter). Both my kids have no allergies, so my scientific experiment was a success.
Xee
Site Admin

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm Peanuts are sprayed with pesticides. I try to avoid eating things that are heavily sprayed: strawberries, apples, corn, celery, peanuts etc,..

Not only do you ingest the pesticide residues, but the organic soils are much healthier, so I believe you get more nutrition in the products also.
I'm a hobbyist gardener so I just thought I'd comment. To be certified as organic, a grower needs to meet the standards set by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). These standards allow for the use of pesticides in the production of vegetables/fruit as long as they are natural pesticides, not synthetic. So I could spray my plants with any of the allowed natural pesticides and as long as they meet the other standards, still call them organic. See a full list of the pesticides organic growers can use here:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... 2.7&idno=7

Also, to your comment about residuals, the standards require that the land used to grow the produce must have not been treated with synthetic pesticides for the previous 3 years. So a farmer could use synthetic pesticides for 30 years on his land but as long as he takes a 3 year break, he can then grow produce on that same land and call it organic. Is that long enough for any residuals from those synthetics to dissipate? No idea, but it's just something to keep in mind.

All that being said, I suggest focusing on buying locally vs buying organic vs non-organic. Even the most optimistic studies show little difference between the nutritional content of organic and non-organic produce, not enough to justify the price increase n my opinion, but buying locally you can be happy in knowing your dollars are supporting small-scale farmers instead of large-scale corporate farmers, the produce is fresher, and less CO2 is being emitted since you're buying from Bob down the street rather than a farmer 6,000 miles away.

Just my 2¢.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 pm

I live about 3 minutes from a Wal Mart so that plus their online pickup is sort of a no-brainer. We hit up Aldi for their ready-to-cook pizzas (and the Aldi Finds aisle), however.
I love Aldi so much. We used Shipt a lot for grocery deliveries.
Xee
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm I made my wife eat peanut butter when she was pregnant and while nursing just to see if that would help prevent our 2 kids from getting the allergy (she hates peanut butter). Both my kids have no allergies, so my scientific experiment was a success.
haha To be fair, most pediatricians these days recommend exposing your kids (when safe) to as many foods as possible as soon as possible since studies have shown they are less likely to develop food allergies later in life. So your instinct was correct, despite the complete lack of any scientific methodology. haha ;)
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:03 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm I made my wife eat peanut butter when she was pregnant and while nursing just to see if that would help prevent our 2 kids from getting the allergy (she hates peanut butter). Both my kids have no allergies, so my scientific experiment was a success.
haha To be fair, most pediatricians these days recommend exposing your kids (when safe) to as many foods as possible as soon as possible since studies have shown they are less likely to develop food allergies later in life. So your instinct was correct, despite the complete lack of any scientific methodology. haha ;)
This is what I'll tell myself when I catch my stupid dog eating his own poop.
wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:01 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm

I love Aldi so much. We used Shipt a lot for grocery deliveries.
Only thing I can't stand about Aldi is the aisles are so small and people, around here anyway, have awful grocery store manners. Tons of malingering, lots of

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm Bread is good with PB + J, but prefer English muffins. Bays' in the refigerator case are better than Thomas' on the store shelf.

I like the way a toasted muffin melts the peanut butter underneath the jam.

Also tastes real good with beer.
Love, LOVE putting some butter and jelly on a hot english muffin. There's something about a good hot english muffin that can't be beaten.
Xee
Site Admin

The Aldi by me used to have great prices but they recently had a grand re-opening and there seem to be a lot less deals now. Gotta give props to them letting their cashiers sit in a frickin chair though. I have no idea where this idea came from that cashiers need to be standing at their registers for 8 hours a day. Being a cashier was my first job in high school and I would get called out if I so much as leaned against the belt to take pressure off my back.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Peanut butter on toast, peanut butter on frozen/fresh waffles. peanut butter on pancakes = breakfast

peanut butter sandwich, peanut butter on apples/celery/carrots/potato chips = lunch

Peanut butter on Ritz, melted peanut butter on ice cream = snack

I spread the love, not loyal to one brand. Hell, I can eat store brand. Aldi's has one of the best store brand peanut butters around.

Drone, don't be a buzz kill. I love pesticides, bring that shit on.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm The Aldi by me used to have great prices but they recently had a grand re-opening and there seem to be a lot less deals now. Gotta give props to them letting their cashiers sit in a frickin chair though. I have no idea where this idea came from that cashiers need to be standing at their registers for 8 hours a day. Being a cashier was my first job in high school and I would get called out if I so much as leaned against the belt to take pressure off my back.
Aldi's got great deals on milk and the Aldi Finds aisle can be incredible if you get there at the right time. The selection of meat/produce varies from store to store, unfortunately, and their store brands pale compared to Trader Joe's.

Schnucks is nearby, and it's great for meat, produce, and grabbing some soup or whatever for lunch, but their markup is a bit insulting.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Xee wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm The Aldi by me used to have great prices but they recently had a grand re-opening and there seem to be a lot less deals now. Gotta give props to them letting their cashiers sit in a frickin chair though. I have no idea where this idea came from that cashiers need to be standing at their registers for 8 hours a day. Being a cashier was my first job in high school and I would get called out if I so much as leaned against the belt to take pressure off my back.
Aldi's got great deals on milk and the Aldi Finds aisle can be incredible if you get there at the right time. The selection of meat/produce varies from store to store, unfortunately, and their store brands pale compared to Trader Joe's.

Schnucks is nearby, and it's great for meat, produce, and grabbing some soup or whatever for lunch, but their markup is a bit insulting.
Out of curiosity, how much is a gallon of milk going for at your Aldi's? The best buy for me until recently was Target who was selling it for $1.60 a gallon which was technically even cheaper if you paid for it with your Target card since you get an additional 5% discount. Went recently though and they're up to $2.69, which is only 10¢ cheaper than the price at Costco. Wonder if I should check out Aldi again.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:23 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Out of curiosity, how much is a gallon of milk going for at your Aldi's? The best buy for me until recently was Target who was selling it for $1.60 a gallon which was technically even cheaper if you paid for it with your Target card since you get an additional 5% discount. Went recently though and they're up to $2.69, which is only 10¢ cheaper than the price at Costco. Wonder if I should check out Aldi again.
I don't usually get milk at Aldi, but last I saw I think it was a hair over $1?
Drone7
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm
Just trying to be helpful.

I believe the public is being really misled by the government and food industry when it comes to additive and pesticide safety.

I'm not a fanatic. I eat out (cheaply) and most of the providers don't use clean ingredients. But I believe it's important to not put too much of a toxic "load" on your body. Organic products cost more, but they provide more nutrition so it evens out, especially if you don't overeat.

I also want to support the organic farm industry which is more mom n pop and caring about OUR health. Better for the planet and future generations too. So a civic duty.

Hope I didn't bore you or kill your peanut butter cravings. :)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just kidding. I buy local (some things) veggies, fruits and honey when in season. My bro and sis in law have a produce farm. I used to grow small amounts of veggies, but my yard is so damn shady (good thing on a hot day) it is hard to grow much.

Organic shit is just so much more than the pesticide ridden stuff I usually buy. Have to watch the $ where you can. I have eaten the stuff all my life and I am still here. You are going to go when you go, might as well enjoy it while I can.
wab
Mod

You’ll never convince me that by and large “organic” is a marketing tactic.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm You’ll never convince me that by and large “organic” is a marketing tactic.
Is or isn't?
Drone7
Player of the Month

Xee wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:00 pm
Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 pm Peanuts are sprayed with pesticides. I try to avoid eating things that are heavily sprayed: strawberries, apples, corn, celery, peanuts etc,..

I'm a hobbyist gardener so I just thought I'd comment. To be certified as organic, a grower needs to meet the standards set by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). These standards allow for the use of pesticides in the production of vegetables/fruit as long as they are natural pesticides, not synthetic. So I could spray my plants with any of the allowed natural pesticides and as long as they meet the other standards, still call them organic. See a full list of the pesticides organic growers can use here:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... 2.7&idno=7

Also, to your comment about residuals, the standards require that the land used to grow the produce must have not been treated with synthetic pesticides for the previous 3 years. So a farmer could use synthetic pesticides for 30 years on his land but as long as he takes a 3 year break, he can then grow produce on that same land and call it organic. Is that long enough for any residuals from those synthetics to dissipate? No idea, but it's just something to keep in mind.

All that being said, I suggest focusing on buying locally vs buying organic vs non-organic. Even the most optimistic studies show little difference between the nutritional content of organic and non-organic produce, not enough to justify the price increase n my opinion, but buying locally you can be happy in knowing your dollars are supporting small-scale farmers instead of large-scale corporate farmers, the produce is fresher, and less CO2 is being emitted since you're buying from Bob down the street rather than a farmer 6,000 miles away.

Just my 2¢.
Good post. Thanks.

I am skeptical though about the comparative food value between commercially grown and organically grown products. Organic soils are more biodiverse in terms of soil bacteria, which are often beneficial when ingested and interact chemically with soil fungi and the plants themselves. Some of these you ingest even after a brief washing. And the chemistry of the soils affects what the plants bring into their systems through the roots and spashing up, then through the stems and leaves. A lot of the chemicals they create are outside the restricted range of chemicals tested for comparison (major vitamin and mineral content for ex) . Some are possibly beneficial trace chemicals; some probably aren't even known as being beneficial but will be in the future. I just believe organic plants are more complex and nutritious so I don't mind paying more.

Nutrition is an incredibly complex topic and not much is known.

Also skeptical of GMOs, but the food system is already deeply embedded with them, so I won't get into that.

Another major problem is monoculture agriculture. Which commercial farmers like so they can max yield per acre. Corn, potatoes, etc...Driving across the Mid-West is depressing, seeing all the monoculture Ag.

One good thing about peanuts, is that they were found to be beneficial as a crop rotation enhancer.
Last edited by Drone7 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xee
Site Admin

Drone7 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm
I also want to support the organic farm industry which is more mom n pop and caring about OUR health. Better for the planet and future generations too. So a civic duty.
There are still some huge organice operations out there. Earthbound Farms got sold to WhiteWave Foods which operated dairy farms that contained large amounts of cows in questionable conditions and now WhiteWave looks like it's going to be bought by Dannon which is about as big of a corporation as you can get.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Peanut butter banana yogurt. Peanut butter off of a spoon. Damn, getting hungry here.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

PBJ is the very definition of comfort food. Although I do prefer shredded coconut or chocolate chips instead of the J sometimes.

One of the highlights for me in going out to breakfast is that there are usually some packets of orange marmalade on the table. I always try to grab a couple for PBJ.

When I go for normal PBJ I prefer strawberry jelly, but I'll never turn down grape.