QB Prospect Discussion: Jake Fromm, Georgia

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm I think a lot of fans are going to be upset when we don't draft a QB until day 3 -- if at all.
I personally don't care when but they should draft a QB. Theres no reason not to. Even if you got Tom Brady, you can draft a Jacoby Brissett or Jimmy Garoppolo. I'll never understand why teams dont draft qbs more in the late rounds or why they stop with a young qb.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:06 am
G08 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm I think a lot of fans are going to be upset when we don't draft a QB until day 3 -- if at all.
Total agreement and I'll be one of them unless there's a notable veteran signed to be the backup. (Alex Smith, somebody like that.)

If the Pace & Nagy Regime has taught me anything its that there's a huge gap between what should be done and what they will do.
Well considering that the two day two picks are within a few picks of each other, it's very possible. If the board doesnt fall the way they like, they probably should force the issue at 43 or 50.

Still, there would be a difference in filling the QB spot in the 4th verse the 7th.
UOK
Site Admin

Pace was all about the "draft a QB every year" shit until he suddenly wasn't and still isn't.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am Pace was all about the "draft a QB every year" shit until he suddenly wasn't and still isn't.
Mitch cost four picks so it counted as 3 additional years :lol:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Cosigned.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

I'll be fine with that. This team has greater needs above a QB.
UOK
Site Admin

I admit, I would be disturbed if we didn't take a QB at all in the draft.
wab
Mod

I think they should take one, but round 5 seems about right.
Drone7
Player of the Month

With QBs, I see no sense in selecting a middle or late rounder UNLESS a team has extra picks and they project as an eventual starter. It's easy find backups with some pro tape in FA.

Don't follow the draft, but they would be foolish to bypass a QB with good starter potential in round 2 even if that means scrambling for other needs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm With QBs, I see no sense in selecting a middle or late rounder UNLESS a team has extra picks and they project as an eventual starter. It's easy find backups with some pro tape in FA.
Other then jim sorgi I think most qbs are drafted with starter traits.
Drone7
Player of the Month

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm
Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm With QBs, I see no sense in selecting a middle or late rounder UNLESS a team has extra picks and they project as an eventual starter. It's easy find backups with some pro tape in FA.
I've seen a helluva lot of drafted QBs that weren't plausibly pro starters for any length of time based on their physical traits.

But I'll grant this: it's hard to assess whether they have a pro mind until they play in the NFL. That's why they shouldn't have drafted a QB without much tape.
wab
Mod

But I'll grant this: it's hard to assess whether they have a pro mind until they play in the NFL. That's why they shouldn't have drafted a QB without much tape.
Isn't this a contradictory statement?
G08
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm

But not grant patience on said QB without much tape?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Drone7
Player of the Month

No, it's common sense.

Most evaluators want to see a QB play at least 2 seasons of college football before expending a lottery pick. So they have more tape on a QB's decision-making skills. Plus, it's situational football training.

Most want to see a QB play under center fairly often instead of in the gun, so they can transition quicker to a pro offense.

Most want to see a QB that didn't redshirt then sat in back of a Canadian League backup for 2 seasons.

And then there's Pace.
UOK
Site Admin

More on Fromm, less on Mitch/Pace, please.
G08
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm No, it's common sense.

Most evaluators want to see a QB play at least 2 seasons of college football before expending a lottery pick. So they have more tape on a QB's decision-making skills. Plus, it's situational football training.
Yet multiple teams were interested in trading up for the kid.
Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm Most want to see a QB play under center fairly often instead of in the gun, so they can transition quicker to a pro offense.
Yet Patrick Mahomes was taken #10 overall in the same draft, and Kyler Murray went #1 overall last year.
Drone7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm Most want to see a QB that didn't redshirt then sat in back of a Canadian League backup for 2 seasons.
Most other QBs would have transferred, but I digress
UOK wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:15 pm More on Fromm, less on Mitch/Pace, please.
On topic: I hope Gibron... er, FROMM, doesn't ever find his way here :thumbsup:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm
On topic: I hope Gibron... er, FROMM, doesn't ever find his way here :thumbsup:
He checks enough boxes to be a backup and potential NFL starter. This is what the Bears need behind Trubisky.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He checks the boxes to be a starter. With minor improvements he checks to he a really good starter.
I've seen a helluva lot of drafted QBs that weren't plausibly pro starters for any length of time based on their physical traits.
I get your point, but disagree. I think the thought process is generally "clean up issues and maybe ge starts "

Matt Cassel is an example.
Drone7
Player of the Month

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:58 am He checks the boxes to be a starter. With minor improvements he checks to he a really good starter.
I get your point, but disagree. I think the thought process is generally "clean up issues and maybe ge starts "

Enderle and Fales are counterexamples. (among many)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Most want to see a QB play under center fairly often instead of in the gun, so they can transition quicker to a pro offense.

Most want to see a QB that didn't redshirt then sat in back of a Canadian League backup for 2 seasons.

And then there's Pace.
And Russell Wilson couldn’t beat out Mike Glennon in college.

QBs are a coin flip.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm

And then there's Pace.

QBs are a coin flip.
That's not accurate. Wilson was not supplanted by Glennon. Wilson transferred mainly to get a better program, for draft status.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:58 am He checks the boxes to be a starter. With minor improvements he checks to he a really good starter.

Not accurate. John Harbaugh believed fales could be a starter. They just never progressed.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:27 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm

QBs are a coin flip.
That's not accurate. Wilson was not supplanted by Glennon. Wilson transferred mainly to get a better program, for draft status.
In Wilson’s own words “the coach told me to give it up”.

So yes he was supplanted by Glennon and transferred.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ive-it-up/

Was it a stupid coach decision, yes. Did it happen, yes.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well I retract my statement. As a Badger fan I dont remember him saying that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Well Glennon is at least a NFL QB. A backup, but legit.
Drone7
Player of the Month

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:29 pm
Drone7 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am

Not accurate. John Harbaugh believed fales could be a starter. They just never progressed.
What was Harbaugh smokin'?

Fales is small, slow and weak-armed. Fales quickly failed.

Key word in my comments above is "plausible" starter
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:41 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:29 pm

What was Harbaugh smokin'?

Fales is small, slow and weak-armed. Fales quickly failed.

Key word in my comments above is "plausible" starter
Wasn't that after Harbaugh hired "Tresticles" to be his offensive coordinator? It was probably just familiarity with the offense type thing.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:48 pm Well I retract my statement. As a Badger fan I dont remember him saying that.
In your defense, he kept quiet about it until 2016.

Anyway, not really my point at all, it was just that QB's are fickle. Some guys with all the tools never materialize, some guys come out of nowhere.

Mitchell's draft was supposedly devoid of true QB talent, but just on Mahomes and Watson that isn't the case. Hell look at how many time Kurt Warner was cut, off to arena ball, over the hill and yet he ends up a HOF'er.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 pmAnyway, not really my point at all, it was just that QB's are fickle. Some guys with all the tools never materialize, some guys come out of nowhere.
This.

Some lack the physical skills to develop, whether lacking some trait or sapped by injury. At the same time, some guys have all the physical tools but don't develop. Sometimes that's effort — the guy isn't willing to put in the work. For others, the game just never slows down for them — and it's got nothing to do with intelligence.

Drafting a QB is almost always a crapshoot.

FWIW, I think Fromm is in the first group. He has some skills, but his arm strength is likely to hold him back from being much more than a guy you're always looking to upgrade.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

If you watch Jake Fromm as a freshman, he looked like a future QB1... then followed that up with a sorta better sophomore season... then last year... multiple under 60% completion rate games with some under 50%... and this was also with a major drop in his average yard per pass... it was not pretty... people making excuses for him blame it on his surroundings... but it's Georgia... they restock with 5 stars just like Alabama and so to claim he didn't have talent around him is kinda bunk... just call a spade a spade, he plateaued as a prospect and regressed in his final year and went from a QB1 level player to someone who needs perfect surroundings to be good... and kinda already got one of those... I'm all for taking a flier on a later round QB and if Fromm is available in the 5th or 6th round, go for it... but he won't so let's grab Gordon from Wash St in the 5th/6th and go... he made some beautiful throws in the red zone during the senior bowl...