Greg Olsen anyone?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Out of the Panthers and still wants to play. I’d be thrilled to bring him back to Chicago to end his career. We have a major need, he’d play a lot, great insurance for Burton injuries, and will certainly take a short term deal.
cblaz11
MVP

I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
GSH
MVP

id literally eat my left testicle in disbelief if cam newton ever suits up for the bears
Xee
Site Admin

He'll be 35 when the season starts and he has not exactly been putting up amazing numbers lately. No thanks.
G08
Hall of Famer

If he's cheap and he's healthy? Why the hell not
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

With him and Burton, neither have to be “the guy” and maybe the lightened load keeps them both healthy. I always liked him, it’d be great if he played here again.

No thx on Cam, I think he’s a poor fit for Nagy.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Wanting to play, and able to play are 2 different things. If he could still go and be worth whatever contract he' be willing to sign, he'd still be a Panther.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

I’m in. Purely for sentimental reasons.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Last two seasons...

Trey Burton
2018: 16 games (16 starts), 54 receptions, 569 yards, 10.5 yard average, 6 TDs
2019: 8 games (5 starts), 14 receptions, 84 yards, 6.0 yard average 0 TDs

Greg Olsen
2018: 9 games (9 starts), 27 receptions, 291 yards, 10.8 yard average, 4 TDs
2019: 14 games (14 starts), 52 receptions, 597 yards, 11.5 yard average, 2 TDs

If the price is right and he'd be interested then why not? There aren't exactly many options out there.
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Duplicate.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
I guess I would need an explanation why Greg Olsen potentially coming would have anything to do with Cam Newton.

Cam Newton isn't being traded for by anyone, he sucks while being injury prone and they would have to cut people along with having almost zero money to make any improvements to a line. Olsen signing here would mean about as much for cam as it would a Jay Cutler resigning.

I would be on board with an Olsen signing for a reasonable price. If you sign him, its for 1 season only most likely or a two year deal with the second year never likely to materialize. It's a hedge against Burton being healthy and frees up resources to be utilized on other positions.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 am
cblaz11 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:17 pm I think this adds substance to a complete rebuild and a potential Cam trade.
I guess I would need an explanation why Greg Olsen potentially coming would have anything to do with Cam Newton.

Cam Newton isn't being traded for by anyone, he sucks while being injury prone and they would have to cut people along with having almost zero money to make any improvements to a line. Olsen signing here would mean about as much for cam as it would a Jay Cutler resigning.

I would be on board with an Olsen signing for a reasonable price. If you sign him, its for 1 season only most likely or a two year deal with the second year never likely to materialize. It's a hedge against Burton being healthy and frees up resources to be utilized on other positions.
I am not a Cam Newton fan and I do think his best days are behind him. However, I also believe that somebody would be willing to trade for him. Especially in a scenario where Carolina eats some of the salary.

Per Olsen - Is he even better than a guy like Braunecker at this point? I honestly don't know about that. He's looked pretty damn done for a couple of years.
cblaz11
MVP

I didn’t say that it increased the odds of a Cam Newton trade to the Bears, I meant more of a Cam trade in general. I think if the Panthers were committed to truly making a run this year with Cam, they would have kept a vet like Olsen around for the year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It would be worth a throw of the dice for the right price. It might keep them from spending big on a FA although the position is a priority for their offense. They could use a draft pick to select their future TE and just maybe develop him and use him right.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Bring him in. His experience and ability to add another coach-type player to a very inexperienced TE room is worth the roll of the dice alone. If he can stay healthy for 12 to 14 games, it would be a bonus.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 pm I’m in. Purely for sentimental reasons.
Well, I didn't know that was an option. I change my previous comment based on this alone as it would be great to see him in orange and blue again. Hell, bringing Marty Booker back years ago was worth it just for that one-handed catch he had against the Lions.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Would prefer a younger, blocking TE like Vannett, but I wouldn't be against Olsen IF he could pass a physical. Obviously, he was an excellent pass receiver in his prime years. Ran approx. 4.5 at the distant 2007 Combine. Wonder what he could run now?

He might help Shaheen (and other guys in the TE room) learn how to run crisper routes and pass on a better understanding where to settle against zone coverage. He was never a powerful blocker, but he learned a lot about technique, which would also help others.

Not sure how much he has left, but the incumbents aren't much competition. Trubisky would probably like having someone he can trust to move the sticks.

To Redskins rumors.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

As far as Cam goes, I don't see anyone with a contender desperate enough to trade for him. I think he gets outright released and that we may have seen the last of him in the NFL because he isn't coming anywhere to be a backup.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:58 am I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

As far as Cam goes, I don't see anyone with a contender desperate enough to trade for him. I think he gets outright released and that we may have seen the last of him in the NFL because he isn't coming anywhere to be a backup.
I think your hate of Cam Newton blinds you from being able to evaluate his career/ability fully. Cam Newton is still a guy that would intrigue roughly anyone in the NFL who felt they were a QB away from contending and were in the market looking for one actively. This is a guy who has been "decent to good" for the majority of his career and won an MVP in 2015. Had a couple other very nice seasons to boot. And with a healthy foot... could start to be a force running again. Which does make him a SOB to defend.

I would bet a fortune that Cam has a job.

Back on topic, I've thought more about the Olsen thing. I definitely think he would be a boost to the TE room if he was willing to take on a mentor/secondary type of role. His last three years have been pretty hard on the eyes in the stat lines. I'm not sure you where you see him having been "very productive" there.
cblaz11
MVP

Agreed, Cam Newton is still a starting level QB and cold still be around for quite some time if he starts protecting himself a little better. He’s only 31!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Olson's interested in joining Ron Rivera in Washington. Not sure if he has any interest in rejoining the Bears.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm intrigued about his potential ability to be a role model and mentor for a few young TEs that I happen to like. I think he'd be more valuable in that sense than really delivering much of a stat line. But he could be a good threat at key times in the red zone - which is a clear need. It might be kind of perfect, in that he'd only be in a rotation and not eating up all the snaps.

But It's kinda like asking if I'd like to have that car... sure... well... for how much? I'm wondering if his desire to still play is based on emotion, or wanting to cash one last big paycheck.

If it is emotion, it is possible that he'd want to return to the Bears for many reasons: To show up the people who traded him, because he loves the city and fans, or because he thinks they could compete with his help. If he was willing to be affordable he could play maybe a couple more years as a rotation guy and add a lot of value.

But if it is dollars and he wants $7-8MM, then no because I think that might indicate he'd be too big a drain on resources.

UOK edit: Seriously. Stop.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Olsen is 35 years old and was just cut loose due to a large cap hit. I expect his cost to be in the 2-3M range yearly if we gave him 2 years. Or maybe as high as 4M if it was a one year deal. At those numbers, I like adding him into the mix. At 8M, no chance. But I can't see anyone paying him 8M at this stage of his career, it's just not logical, so I don't really spend any time thinking about it.

UOK edit: Stop.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:49 am Troll alert: So in a battle of emotions, how about letting Hicks go and keep Williams to replace him plus a draft pick. And then give that money to Olsen. Or is that too much and exploding heads? LOL
dplank wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 pm Enough with Hicks already. I'm trying my best not to throw elbows around here but you aren't making it very easy...
Aw, lighten up dplank. IE's just engaging in a bit of humorous banter! :D
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:59 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:58 am I can fully see a Olsen reunion making sense here but I think someone will throw some money at him. He was still very productive last season. His fit might be best here, not fully being relied upon but given enough chance to be very productive.

I think your hate of Cam Newton blinds you from being able to evaluate his career/ability fully. Cam Newton is still a guy that would intrigue roughly anyone in the NFL who felt they were a QB away from contending and were in the market looking for one actively. This is a guy who has been "decent to good" for the majority of his career and won an MVP in 2015. Had a couple other very nice seasons to boot. And with a healthy foot... could start to be a force running again. Which does make him a SOB to defend.

I would bet a fortune that Cam has a job.

Back on topic, I've thought more about the Olsen thing. I definitely think he would be a boost to the TE room if he was willing to take on a mentor/secondary type of role. His last three years have been pretty hard on the eyes in the stat lines. I'm not sure you where you see him having been "very productive" there.
Olsen had almost 600 yds in 14 games last year, we could only dream about production like that this past season from the TE spot. He proved he could stay healthy after two injury shortened previous seasons and his averages for the season on YPC, YAC, catch rate were right in line with his career averages so he can still be productive.

Cam is expensive, doesn't complete above 60 percent, and has been very injury riddled the last two seasons as the cumulative hits have taken their toll between his shoulders and feet breaking down. He was a beast at one point in time because of the extreme dual threat, but as his running has decreased his passing hasn't gotten any better.

I actually think he may at least start the season in Carolina, try to prove he is healthy again and then be moved during the season. Too many other QB options are floating out there that don't cost draft picks to trade for right now for anyone to trade for him IMO.
wab
Mod

Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
Are you angling for a Horsted Jersey?
G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 am
wab wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 am Jesper Horsted is better anyway. Or so I’ve read.
:lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:36 am
Quality. :thumbsup:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He’d be a great player coach for guys like Holtz and Horsted. I’m in.