Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Funkster wrote:
Moriarty wrote:I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
This statement has got me scratching my head and snickering at the same time.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
Pretty sure his 120 million dollar contract will make his life a little more palpable. Also, he'll still have a gig the "average joe" would die to have. It sucks it had to end the way that it did but he has his family setup for generations, I think he'll manage to be just fine.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:
Funkster wrote:

You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
Pretty sure his 120 million dollar contract will make his life a little more palpable. Also, he'll still have a gig the "average joe" would die to have. It sucks it had to end the way that it did but he has his family setup for generations, I think he'll manage to be just fine.
I think his net worth is $50 million, he'll be fine.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
Funkster wrote:

I think his net worth is $50 million, he'll be fine.
It has nothing to do with money. It's one day everyone wants you and you're in the lime light, the face of the franchise, signing autographs and then over night it all stops. I hope he has a good support group and can keep busy with his commentary gig.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, I don't think too many people wanted him and that is why he is now a commentator. I get the idea Jay has the personality to not be bothered by not being a football player. His time in Chicago he got so much shit, locally and nationally, I don't think he will miss that. he will probably be picked apart by media people still regarding his new job. The guy is just a lightning rod for some reason and people just seem to love to bash him. I get the impression the guy is very strong mentally and he will be fine. More time to boink his woman!! :-P
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Cutler was not the one who mortgaged the Bears future, it was Angelo and then once again Emery. I never thought Cutler was a horrible QB. He was an average NFL starting QB with a cannon for an arm. Listening to Cutler being interviewed on the radio when the broadcasting job was announced he showed me he can string ore than a sentence or two together. He may end up much better broadcaster than he ever was as an NFL QB. I'm looking forward to listening to him during that first game.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
UOK
Site Admin

https://www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/ja ... ssion=true

Jay's back in the hunt for a broadcasting gig.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My latest guilty pleasure is "Very Cavellari." Cutler is the entire damn show. The fine women are real nice to look at, but the entertainment value is Cutty. My wife started watching just so she could laugh her ass off by what he says and just the looks he gives people on the show.
wab
Mod

Jay Cutler might be one of my most favorite human beings on the earth.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I will say he was one of the toughest S.O.B.s to play the QB position. The guy just catches hell for anything he does. You get a different read, sort of, off of his wife's show. I think he could do well analyzing an NFL game. It would be interesting to see him in studio, playing off other hosts. I believe he would give it to you straight.
Umbali
MVP

I think after Romo's success its even more likely he will do it. Romo is also sarcastic and a bit of a shit talker. What if the network told jay...be yourself...be snarky lol

Ive always liked Cutler and I love his attitude. The media just hates someone who doesnt kiss their ass. Watching him on his wife show is a riot!

Would love to see this and hopes he does well.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

I would love this!

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Glad to hear there's other Very Cavaleri watchers!

I think Jay would have fit in nice with that Burkhart/Davis booth, but studio work or another analyst gig would be great. Jay could ham it up if he wants to. Or hell just play the straight asshole and be hilarious (unintentionally maybe)
Drone7
Player of the Month

Wasn't the smartest QB on the field, but he knows a lot about the game when not under a pass rush. Ex-QBs, linebackers and coaches tend to become the best analysts.

Ascerbic, dry sense of humor I have always enjoyed, but that might really aggravate many listeners. Bland Mr. Nice Guy Collingsworth he's not.

Surprised to hear he still wants to play considering his concussion history and apparently cushy life outside of football. Maybe he's not diggin' listening to his wife that often.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm Wasn't the smartest QB on the field, but he knows a lot about the game when not under a pass rush. Ex-QBs, linebackers and coaches tend to become the best analysts.

Ascerbic, dry sense of humor I have always enjoyed, but that might really aggravate many listeners. Bland Mr. Nice Guy Collingsworth he's not.

Surprised to hear he still wants to play considering his concussion history and apparently cushy life outside of football. Maybe he's not diggin' listening to his wife that often.
Most pros don't walk away willingly. They either suck or get no more calls.
Richie
MVP

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm https://www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/ja ... ssion=true

Jay's back in the hunt for a broadcasting gig.
On his PFT interview with Big Cat he basically told them that something is coming down the pipeline soon.

Sounds like he's going to be on the air next year. Looking forward to it. Very smart guy overall and extremely knowledgeable about the game. Just didn't always see things right out there.

Shit... guy gets to walk out on FOX, go play for the Dolphins for 10 mil, gets a reality show and still gets to come back to the broadcasting profession. The guy is rolling. lol
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Glad to hear things are going well for Jay. Ive always liked him.
Ormazd
MVP

I have a feeling Jay would be very good on TV. When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
wab
Mod

Ormazd wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
The rumor was that he was making Jim Nantz look stupid by correcting him all the time, and that producers asked him to stop predicting (correctly) the plays before they happened because it was killing the excitement.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
Ormazd wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
The rumor was that he was making Jim Nantz look stupid by correcting him all the time, and that producers asked him to stop predicting (correctly) the plays before they happened because it was killing the excitement.
I hope he goes to ESPN and they let him do his thing. That's some amateur hour bullshit.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm
wab wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
I hope he goes to ESPN and they let him do his thing. That's some amateur hour bullshit.
Yeah but I feel 100% confident that if they came to Jay and said "Jay, tone it down a bit, you're making Jim Nantz look stupid" he'd reply back with "why do you have me sharing a booth with an idiot?"

Jay's reign shall be both short and glorious.
Richie
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm
UOK wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm

Yeah but I feel 100% confident that if they came to Jay and said "Jay, tone it down a bit, you're making Jim Nantz look stupid" he'd reply back with "why do you have me sharing a booth with an idiot?"

Jay has a dry wit and bit of arrogance about him. But when you listen to him interviewed - it's pretty clear that he is capable of communicating in a professional/respectful manner. I think he'll do good.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 am
RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Jay has a dry wit and bit of arrogance about him. But when you listen to him interviewed - it's pretty clear that he is capable of communicating in a professional/respectful manner. I think he'll do good.
He's capable of it, but he doesn't seem to be instinctually that way. I could see him doing it for a few years then walking away once he gets tired of his bosses telling him he has to ham it up more.
Ormazd
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:16 pm My latest guilty pleasure is "Very Cavellari." Cutler is the entire damn show. The fine women are real nice to look at, but the entertainment value is Cutty. My wife started watching just so she could laugh her ass off by what he says and just the looks he gives people on the show.
I watched a couple episodes after reading this, and I feel much dumber now. I do enjoy Jay's appearances, but the cat fight and break up drama were ugh.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is why you watch on demand and just FF thru it all until it gets to Cutty.
G08
Hall of Famer

Or just go on YouTube and they'll edit out any scene that doesn't have to do with Cutty :lol: