Your 5 favorite and least favorite seasons of this century

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Richie
MVP

Another pointless off-season thread...

Favorites:

1. 2006 Super Bowl Run - IMO, this is rather easy. The sheer dominance in the first half of the season on both sides of the ball Rex's offensive player of the month run in September. The emergence of Devin Hester. Two exciting playoff games (that I happened to be at... obviously makes it more memorable). One an overtime thriller that Robbie put away for us. I remember being so nervous we'd get bounce "one and done" again late in that game. Then, of course... pulling away in the 2nd half vs New Orleans as the snow fell down on Soldier Field. What a perfect day.

2. 2001 - Being a 90's kid... this was the first time that I experienced the Bears actually being a good football team. We all know how magical and unlikely that season was. 13-3 regular season, fun/young defense and of course... Mike Brown heroics. Got my first taste of playoff heartbreak too when McNabb and Philly came to town.

3. 2018 - Yeah, it gets a slight nod over 2010, even though we went one/done. This past season was just fun. An energy like I've never really felt from a Bears team. This organization and fan-base NEEEEEDED that kind of a season in the worst possible way. Finally, a light at the end of the tunnel emerges.

4. 2010 - Maybe I put this lower simply because of the heartbreak I felt walking out of Soldier Field the evening of the NFC Title game. Not just losing to Green Bay on our own field for the righ to go to the Super Bowl, but the way it went down... It was so deflating. Honestly, I still get pissed when I think about that game. We still had a very real shot to win it. Even after the Raji pick six. I still hate that end around to Earl Bennett that Martz called on 3rd and 2 when we were nearing the red zone on the final drive. A lot of missed first half opportunities as well. Plus, the Cutler fall out was just... really shitty.

5. 2005 - The D in this season was probably the most dominant we've seen since the 80's. Some utterly outstanding performances. Unfortunately, our QB play just wasn't there and we let Steve Smith beat us singlehandedly in the Divisional Round.

HM's: 2008 had some fun games and Orton had some nice performances. Even if we ultimately choked a playoff spot away the final week of the season after a hot start in Houston. They also lost a couple of heartbreakers to TB and ATL which they should have won. The frigid GB game was a lot of fun. So was the TNF game vs NO the week prior.

2013 featured a fun offense that broke our scoring record. Finished 2nd in the league only to Denver who broke the ALL-TIME scoring record that year. First time in my life I saw a Bears team led by an offense, with an atrocious D (I barely remember the Kramer/mid-90's seasons). Alas, the season ends on our field with another GB heartbreak.

Least Favorite:

1. 2014 - Ugh... this f'ing season. What a total catastrophe. The cap hell we put ourselves through to build this team made it 10x worse too. This is what dug us into the hole which took us 4 years to climb out of. Trestman was a joke and completely lost the team early on. Cutler played like he had no interest in the game after getting that big contract. Marshall was in the news every week it seemed for some new outburst. Whether it was at players, coaches, fans, radio hosts or on twitter... the dude was out of control. Just a spineless f'ing football team. No excuse for the NE/GB performances back-to-back. I drove all the way up to Green Bay to see that shit, for crying out loud.

2. 2011 - I still think this was the best team we had during the Lovie era and probably going back to the mid-80's. Watching the team fall apart due to major injuries was so disheartening. The offense was really picking up a head of steam. The one time during Lovie's tenure where I truly thought that we would have our offense ready for a deep playoff run and not just the defense. The KC and DEN (Tebow) losses back-to-back were nightmares. Sheer nightmares.

3. 2016 - This season just stunk. It was like it never happened. Over before it started. Smack dab in the middle of Pace stripping things down, but still being stuck with a lot of leftover parts. The injuries during this season were utterly laughable too. We played multiple games where I think Matt Slauson was the only Week 1 starter remaining healthy. The defense was decimated as well. A lot of really good ass kickings were taken over the course of that season.

4. 2007 - The hype following the SB run was gigantic. We thought it was really our time. Then, Rex was benched after only 3 games. Took a couple of heartbreaking early divisional losses to Detroit and Minnesota. We still had a chance to put ourselves squarely in the December Wild Card hunt as well, before we went and blew a late lead to NYG. I hated that game. I hated that season. Hester had his best year returning kicks/punts, though.

5. 2002 - The Champaign season. The team fell flat after the hype stemming from 2001 and went 4-12. The whole season had a weird vibe playing down there. No fun, at all. At least we had the Marty Morningweigh blunder to laugh about, though.

HM's: 2009 - Cutler hype falls flat, Urlacher's season lasts one half and the D crumbles. Another hype year where we fell on our faces.

2012 - Similar to 2011... we pissed 2012 away after a 7-1 start. One of the only teams to fail to make the post-season after a 7-1 start. The Seattle loss was killer. Urlacher looked old as the season went on and wound up missing most of the 2nd half of it. Offense looked utterly atrocious under Tice down the stretch. So long Lovie... hello Trestman, and hell on Earth.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

You pretty much nailed it for me.
Never Die Easy
wab
Mod

Yeah, hard to argue.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My least favorite seasons were the Wanny era, this century or not. Growing up at that time is the reason my oldest wears green and gold today. :frustrated:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mohner1
Practice Squad

yeah pretty spot on. kinda brings up a point though. We've seen a lot of disappointment after successful seasons. what is going to make this season different?

My answer? Nagy
“Taylor, we've run out of timeouts. Go in there and get hurt.”
Richie
MVP

mohner1 wrote:yeah pretty spot on. kinda brings up a point though. We've seen a lot of disappointment after successful seasons. what is going to make this season different?

My answer? Nagy
02 and 07 were the only seasons where that really happened. Those seasons were a lifetime ago as well. 2011 was shaping up to be an incredibly strong season. Can't control fluke injuries to our two most important offensive players.

However, I agree that our coaching is too strong to allow a total let down in 2019.
Richie
MVP

So, where do you put 2019 on this list?

I try to avoid recency bias. This feels bad now... but it's not the nightmare of 2014. It just isn't. It's also not the devastation I felt after letting 2011 get away from us when Cutler/Forte got hurt and we went and lost to Tebow.

Putting anywhere after that is probably right to me. I could see it being 3, 4 or 5.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Wasn't that surprised by what happened.

So many Bears' fans were delusional about the offensive weaknesses. Fans tend to exaggerate. And many look at the team with blinders, not seeing how divisional opponents are addressing their needs. I recall several Bears' fans crowing that the Packers and Vikings were going backwards after 2018.

I don't have much current hope for this organization because the GM is a mediocrity, but so far this off season, the cold water of 8-8 has had a positive effect on the offensive coaching staff with Helfrich being replaced and Ragone being "promoted" away from Trubisky.

This is going to be an interesting off season for a lot of teams.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I put 2019 as my #1 least favorite season, and it's not close. I was convinced that we were going to make a run at the Super Bowl, put money on it in the preseason even. I thought Trubisky was going to improve in Year 2 of the system, I thought Nagy was on his way to greatness after his first year, I thought the defense would stay elite even if the turnovers returned to a normal number, and we were going to be a real tough out in the playoffs. Instead, our season was essentially over by Week 8. Our franchise QB shit the bed as did our hot shot coach, and Pagano took our elite defense down to a merely "good" one.

2019 had the biggest negative gap between expectations and results. We have had plenty of other worse years than 2019, but I also never expected us to be a great team any of those years either, so it wasn't as soul crushing.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:01 am I put 2019 as my #1 least favorite season, and it's not close. I was convinced that we were going to make a run at the Super Bowl, put money on it in the preseason even. I thought Trubisky was going to improve in Year 2 of the system, I thought Nagy was on his way to greatness after his first year, I thought the defense would stay elite even if the turnovers returned to a normal number, and we were going to be a real tough out in the playoffs. Instead, our season was essentially over by Week 8. Our franchise QB shit the bed as did our hot shot coach, and Pagano took our elite defense down to a merely "good" one.

2019 had the biggest negative gap between expectations and results. We have had plenty of other worse years than 2019, but I also never expected us to be a great team any of those years either, so it wasn't as soul crushing.
This!!! So much this! Otherwise I agree pretty much with the OP list
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

My expectations this off-season were through the roof. Super Bowl or bust.... well, it busted. Even though I was super hyped, I still would have trouble putting an 8-8 season on any list of least favorite seasons. For as bad as we were and as loud as many are calling for people to be fired.... we still won 8 games. That is nothing to scoff at.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

2006 was my favorite and least favorite, making the SB and then losing. I wasn't confident going into the game. After losing Mike Brown for the season earlier in the year, the D just wasn't the same.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Richie
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm 2006 was my favorite and least favorite, making the SB and then losing. I wasn't confident going into the game. After losing Mike Brown for the season earlier in the year, the D just wasn't the same.
I would say more like losing Tommie Harris in early December was when they sort of became just "really good" on D instead of totally dominant.
Richie
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am Wasn't that surprised by what happened.

So many Bears' fans were delusional about the offensive weaknesses. Fans tend to exaggerate. And many look at the team with blinders, not seeing how divisional opponents are addressing their needs. I recall several Bears' fans crowing that the Packers and Vikings were going backwards after 2018.

I don't have much current hope for this organization because the GM is a mediocrity, but so far this off season, the cold water of 8-8 has had a positive effect on the offensive coaching staff with Helfrich being replaced and Ragone being "promoted" away from Trubisky.

I thought that we would win 10-11 games. We won 8. That's not a huge gap and was a rather standard prediction.

I also picked the Green Bay to go to the Super Bowl. So, I certainly was not on the "everyone is regressing" train.

I will join that with Green Bay now, though. After how evident Rodgers decline became as the season went on. They're going to really, really have a good defense to compete going forward. That was a 9-10 win team this year by every metric and they caught every break in the book to edge out bad teams in close games on their way to a mirage of a 13-3 record.

Minnesota is just... the same thing they have been. Good, not great. They seem very stagnant. I expect the same thing in 2020.

I have fears that Detroit might be competent in 2020. That was a team that looked quite solid before Stafford and basically the entire team went down to injury. Now, they have the #3 overall pick and will be all-in during the off-season in a make/break year for Patricia.

If we can make the offense just serviceable. We're in business in terms of pushing to get back into the playoffs. But there's no denying that it feels like we're a galaxy away from hoisting a Lombardi.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:10 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm 2006 was my favorite and least favorite, making the SB and then losing. I wasn't confident going into the game. After losing Mike Brown for the season earlier in the year, the D just wasn't the same.
I would say more like losing Tommie Harris in early December was when they sort of became just "really good" on D instead of totally dominant.
That was the nail in the coffin. Their run defense became a lot softer.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 pm
Drone7 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am Wasn't that surprised by what happened.

I thought that we would win 10-11 games. We won 8. That's not a huge gap and was a rather standard prediction.

I also picked the Green Bay to go to the Super Bowl. So, I certainly was not on the "everyone is regressing" train.

I will join that with Green Bay now, though. After how evident Rodgers decline became as the season went on. They're going to really, really have a good defense to compete going forward. That was a 9-10 win team this year by every metric and they caught every break in the book to edge out bad teams in close games on their way to a mirage of a 13-3 record.

Minnesota is just... the same thing they have been. Good, not great. They seem very stagnant. I expect the same thing in 2020.

I have fears that Detroit might be competent in 2020. That was a team that looked quite solid before Stafford and basically the entire team went down to injury. Now, they have the #3 overall pick and will be all-in during the off-season in a make/break year for Patricia.

If we can make the offense just serviceable. We're in business in terms of pushing to get back into the playoffs. But there's no denying that it feels like we're a galaxy away from hoisting a Lombardi.
Watch out for Minnesota next year with Gary Kubiak running the O and calling plays. He's one of the best.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Should be a tight division next year.

I wouldn't fork Rodgers though--he's still the best QB in the division and one of the top 5 in football. Imagine how he would do in KC's offense. Adams is his only really good WR. They will address WR this offseason, maybe TE and RT, along with bolstering their run defense.

It would be silly to make a divisional forecast before FA and draft fills, but I suspect most unbiased observers pick the Bears for 3rd. If Stafford's back heals and the Lions get a lot of help on D, they might contend with the Bears for third.

Vikes have major cap decisions, but this is the last year they shell out roughly 30M guaranteed for Cousins--who improved quite a bit after his poor performance against the Bears in their first tilt.

The Bears need to be very astute bringing in immediate help with their depleted draft stock. Pace can't follow his past tendency to select high pick projects--both 2s have to contribute right away and he needs a few FA upgrades as well. Expecting their lower picks to contribute is something we can't know or count on. But the biggest factor has to be improvement from Trubisky. So far, the Bears have the worst QB in the division and that is simply unsustainable for a perennial playoff contender.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am

Watch out for Minnesota next year with Gary Kubiak running the O and calling plays. He's one of the best.
I think a big problem for Minnesota is that their defense is starting to go by the wayside. That core on that side of the ball is not what it once was and their cap situation is a bit too tight to make any big splash in the way of FA additions.
Richie
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am Should be a tight division next year.

I wouldn't fork Rodgers though--he's still the best QB in the division and one of the top 5 in football. Imagine how he would do in KC's offense. Adams is his only really good WR. They will address WR this offseason, maybe TE and RT, along with bolstering their run defense.
Rodgers is more like fringe top 10 at this point. He's been steadily going downhill since 2015. Outside of that spike at the end of 2016 - he's become less and less efficient. Especially his numbers passing down the field. The only thing he excels at by this point in his career is not throwing INT's. But that's only because he takes a lot of sacks and throws the ball away more than anyone. Killing drives in a totally different way.

I mean, he has a great #1, an extremely efficient running game led by Aaron Jones and a good offensive line. He has plenty. The excuses are done. You can only do that for so long with a QB. Rodgers is just... old. It happens.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Off topic but 1969 might be the most depressing Bears season in my memory. 1-13 record, Jim Dooley as coach. Lost the coin flip with the Steelers for #1 draft pick, which turned out to be Terry Bradshaw. Traded the #2 pick in the draft to Green Bay (!!!) for a washed up running back Elijah Pitts and spare change. In fact, the entire decade between the mid/late '60s and the late '70s were a wasteland.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Richie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am
Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am Should be a tight division next year.

Rodgers is more like fringe top 10 at this point. He's been steadily going downhill since 2015. Outside of that spike at the end of 2016 - he's become less and less efficient. Especially his numbers passing down the field. The only thing he excels at by this point in his career is not throwing INT's. But that's only because he takes a lot of sacks and throws the ball away more than anyone. Killing drives in a totally different way.

I mean, he has a great #1, an extremely efficient running game led by Aaron Jones and a good offensive line. He has plenty. The excuses are done. You can only do that for so long with a QB. Rodgers is just... old. It happens.
Disagree. Rodgers' OL is better than the Bears, but they didn't hold up too well against the 49s. His ancillary WRs are just guys, so teams focus on Adams. Graham is shot.

Still, he lifted a flawed team to 14 wins against 4 losses. A team also with a flawed defense, which was exposed as the season went on, especially against the 49s where they got the ball run down their throats.

26 TDs with 4 picks? Outstanding. Not to mention his usual display of throws that no one but Mahomes can make.

His numbers have dropped over the past few seasons from a peak set of years that no one has matched for QB excellence. But that was due to 2 collarbone breaks, a surgical knee injury he played through all year in 2018. So there are reasons for the dropoff other than aging.

He's still 36 with that Golden Arm and sharp football mind. So he has several years left if he avoids serious injuries.

Give him health, another high caliber WR or 2, a better TE and RT and you will see even more excellent play again.

I realize many Bears' fans hate him, because he's an arrogant Packer QB that's 19-5 with 47 TDs /10 Ints versus the Bears. Don't let it blind your vision.
BR0D1E86
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 am

There also about 13 million bucks over the cap. They've got to release a couple higher priced guys just to be able to sign their incoming rookie class. Hard to say exactly what they're going to look like by the start of the season.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:58 am
Richie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:42 am

Disagree. Rodgers' OL is better than the Bears, but they didn't hold up too well against the 49s. His ancillary WRs are just guys, so teams focus on Adams. Graham is shot.

Still, he lifted a flawed team to 14 wins against 4 losses. A team also with a flawed defense, which was exposed as the season went on, especially against the 49s where they got the ball run down their throats.

26 TDs with 4 picks? Outstanding. Not to mention his usual display of throws that no one but Mahomes can make.

His numbers have dropped over the past few seasons from a peak set of years that no one has matched for QB excellence. But that was due to 2 collarbone breaks, a surgical knee injury he played through all year in 2018. So there are reasons for the dropoff other than aging.

He's still 36 with that Golden Arm and sharp football mind. So he has several years left if he avoids serious injuries.

Give him health, another high caliber WR or 2, a better TE and RT and you will see even more excellent play again.

I realize many Bears' fans hate him, because he's an arrogant Packer QB that's 19-5 with 47 TDs /10 Ints versus the Bears. Don't let it blind your vision.
How is the worst thing said about him "fringe top ten" insulting? He really doesn't have excuses. He does, in fact, have a good offensive line, a good running back, and a legitimate #1 wide receiver. If you're saying he needs even more weapons, isn't that kind of indicative of a guy who isn't the absolute elite game changing quarterback he was before he inched into his late 30s?

He was 20th in qbr. I wouldn't put him that low, but I think it's safe to say his otherworldly seasons are behind him.
Drone7
Player of the Month

when did I use the word "insulting"?

I simply believe Richie and your opinions implausible. Please let's not get into a pissing match over stats, because that doesn't sway me. I watch players play and I can't name 5 much less 10 I would have more confidence leading a team than Rodgers. I also believe they will get him more help this offseason and it will be the second year with his offensive staff. So I expect a better season next than last, even if he isn't the player he was in his peak years.

I don't consider explanations excuses as you seem to. In 2018, Rodgers played on an injured knee almost the whole year that needed post season surgery. That affects performance. Just like Trubisky's poor performances after he badly injured his left shoulder (required post season surgery) were partially due to that injury. That's reality.

Name me QBs currently better?
dplank
Hall of Famer

dplank's up to date QB rankings:

1. Mahomes
2. Russell Wilson
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Drew Brees
6. Erin Rodgers
7. Carson Wentz
8. Dak Prescott
9. Tom Brady
10. Derek Carr

JMO
Drone7
Player of the Month

Agree with your first 2, but Jackson is still on the steep learning curve and is a system QB. As much as I love Watson's mobile playmaking superiority, he still makes too many mental errors for me to rank him better than Rodgers. He certainly doesn't have Rodgers' throwing skills. Also has better receiving options to put up stats. Brees seemed to slip last year, but that may have been due to aftereffects from the hand injury.