Tom Brady is a free agent

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

for the first time in his career, Tom Brady is a free agent ... he could always return to the Patriots of course, but I wonder how many other teams might want to give him a chance?

I would think Brady would choose to be in a situation to win now so teams like Miami and Cincinnati won't be in the running

which teams are just a competent QB away from championship contention and might look at Brady as a 1 or 2 year savior?

and no, it won't be the Bears ... Trubisky is a young mobile QB who had struggles to avoid getting killed ... Tom Brady is an old mostly immobile QB who would end up on IR by game 6 behind the Bears sieve of an offensive line

Tennessee, the team that just beat Brady, may be in the mix ... Tannehill will also be a free agent when the Titans season ends ... plus, Vrabel is a former Brady team mate ... guess it will depend on how well Tannehill does moving forward

Josh McDaniels is said to be in the running as HC for a few teams, so McDaniels making a run for Brady at wherever he ends up is a possibility

thoughts? predictions?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I think he'll go back to the Pats for one more shot at it. There aren't a ton of teams out there that are just a QB away.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He’s a statue back there so it’s either New England or someone with a really good offensive line ready to win. I don’t know what team really satisfies that criteria.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think the GOAT winds up with either the Chargers or Raiders (provided Gruden gets rid of Carr).

From what I've seen on the news Brady's house is up for sale. Why do that if he's resigning with NE?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm I think the GOAT winds up with either the Chargers or Raiders (provided Gruden gets rid of Carr).

From what I've seen on the news Brady's house is up for sale. Why do that if he's resigning with NE?
Because he already bought a new house there.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some conjecture that the Chargers might make an offer since he's from California and Rivers is also a free agent. They have more offensive talent than NE. But I think Brady will re-sign with the Pats and known for having played for only 1 team.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Umbali
MVP

I personally would find it interesting for him to go to Cleveland with McDaniels. Let Baker sit behind him for a year. He would have OBJ, Landry, and Chubb...lol hell of a fireworks show. Not going to happen tho.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
MoFugger
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm I think the GOAT winds up with either the Chargers or Raiders (provided Gruden gets rid of Carr).

Because that house is going to sit on the market for two years at least?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

MoFugger wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:37 am

Because that house is going to sit on the market for two years at least?
I saw where he already dropped the price like 8 or 9 million.

And yes, they already bought another house there. I don't think he is going anywhere.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Both the Chargers and Raiders need a marquee QB in new stadiums. Would the Raiders be willing to dump Derek Carr for a low draft pick? His cap numbers aren't out of whack, low 20s. He's better than Trubisky.

Gruden was noted for loving veterans, especially at QB, while coaching Tampa Bay. Would the Raiders try to blow Brady out of the water with a 2 year offer so he's the starter in '21 when they move to Vegas? Derek Carr is still not being shown much respect by his team.
Umbali
MVP

If he leaves NE i would guess he goes to Raiders. Not just because of them needing/wanting to make a big splash moving to Vegas, but I remember Gruden always craved veteran QBs. With all their draft picks and some the talent they currently have I could see him convincing Mark Davis its the right move.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Umbali wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 am If he leaves NE i would guess he goes to Raiders. Not just because of them needing/wanting to make a big splash moving to Vegas, but I remember Gruden always craved veteran QBs. With all their draft picks and some the talent they currently have I could see him convincing Mark Davis its the right move.
If he leaves I could see it no doubt.

I just really doubt he will leave NE. Same coach, same offensive system, best chance to stay at a high level.

On a side note, I think he might be hitting the cliff of father time. It's not like he needs money so if he leaves and flops he gets benched. If he flops in NE is could see them just letting him play it out a year unless they really think they have something in their backup, which I doubt.
Umbali
MVP

thats true..and i think McDaniels staying will impact that decision as well
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Newest rumor I heard on sports radio: Jerry Jones would be interested in signing Brady for a couple of years if he can’t reach an agreement with Prescott. The Cowboys have a dominant runner, decent WRs and TEs. Jerry would probably re-sign Amari Cooper to give him a #1 WR and get him other pieces to play with. I’d enjoy seeing this one come to fruition.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 pm Newest rumor I heard on sports radio: Jerry Jones would be interested in signing Brady for a couple of years if he can’t reach an agreement with Prescott. The Cowboys have a dominant runner, decent WRs and TEs. Jerry would probably re-sign Amari Cooper to give him a #1 WR and get him other pieces to play with. I’d enjoy seeing this one come to fruition.
Oh god - I don't think I could stomach that. It's already hard enough living right in the heart of Cowboys country.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 pm Newest rumor I heard on sports radio: Jerry Jones would be interested in signing Brady for a couple of years if he can’t reach an agreement with Prescott. The Cowboys have a dominant runner, decent WRs and TEs. Jerry would probably re-sign Amari Cooper to give him a #1 WR and get him other pieces to play with. I’d enjoy seeing this one come to fruition.
Oh god - I don't think I could stomach that. It's already hard enough living right in the heart of Cowboys country.
Sorry to hear it. I lived in College Station for almost 20 years. Lifelong Cowboy hater, suffered through their 3 SB wins in the '90s.
wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 am
wab wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Sorry to hear it. I lived in College Station for almost 20 years. Lifelong Cowboy hater, suffered through their 3 SB wins in the '90s.
I live about 11 minutes from Cowboys HQ. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting something cowboys related.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 am
Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 am

I live about 11 minutes from Cowboys HQ. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting something cowboys related.
One of the highlights of my Bears fandom was their 44-0 dismantling of the Cowboys in the '85 season. Made some good coin betting on that game with Cowboys fans.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

An ESPN article predicting Brady to the Bears: 4 years, $110M, $35M the first year with the other 3 voidable. To free up cap space, the Bears rescind the offer to Leonard Floyd and trade him to the Giants for a 6th. I can see the latter but the Brady prediction is pretty laughable.
Xee
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am An ESPN article predicting Brady to the Bears: 4 years, $110M, $35M the first year with the other 3 voidable. To free up cap space, the Bears rescind the offer to Leonard Floyd and trade him to the Giants for a 6th. I can see the latter but the Brady prediction is pretty laughable.
Never going to happen but the article was worth it just to see their mock up of Brady in a Bears uniform.
Brady.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Lots of people are saying Rivers to the Colts but I think Brady could work there. He could reunite with his boy Jacoby!
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

I think that Brady would probably pick the Titans or Colts over the Chargers. The Chargers don't have a lot of talent, and don't have a lot of cap space. The Colts have one of the best offensive lines in football, and the Titans (assuming they don't bring Tannehill back) have more or less the same offense as NE.

I see Rivers in Tampa Bay.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:22 am An ESPN article predicting Brady to the Bears: 4 years, $110M, $35M the first year with the other 3 voidable. To free up cap space, the Bears rescind the offer to Leonard Floyd and trade him to the Giants for a 6th. I can see the latter but the Brady prediction is pretty laughable.
Forgive my ignorance, but surely the Bears can't both rescind the offer to Floyd and trade him? If they rescind the 5th year option then won't he become a free agent?
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 pm
Forgive my ignorance, but surely the Bears can't both rescind the offer to Floyd and trade him? If they rescind the 5th year option then won't he become a free agent?
You are correct. If they rescind the 5th year option, they are in effect cutting him and he would immediately be a free agent. It's a stupid article.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:53 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 pm
You are correct. If they rescind the 5th year option, they are in effect cutting him and he would immediately be a free agent. It's a stupid article.
And a stupid statement by me. Thanks for catching it. Ain't no team going to trade for Floyd and a $13M contract.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some talk that Brady might be willing to forego the massive payday to play for a team with a chance to reach and win the SB. He probably also wants a 2 year deal so he can play until he's 45. The Pats (if they actually put money into a better surrounding cast) would be one. The Titans need to pay a QB; their left tackle and star running back are free agents. They'd be better off paying the LT and letting Derrick Henry test the market, draft a replacement if he wants the Zeke Elliott contrat. The Colts and Chargers might be in play. The Bears might be in this category if they could get him for $20M; that defense is mighty attractive. Brady can pass in Nagy's offense but scrambling would be out of the question if Nagy uses it more this year.
wab
Mod

If he doesn't end up in Vegas...I think the most likely destination is the Titans. The Titans have a metric ton of cap space and a talented roster. I think if there's a demand for Tannehill, the Titans will move on pretty quickly.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:47 am If he doesn't end up in Vegas...I think the most likely destination is the Titans. The Titans have a metric ton of cap space and a talented roster. I think if there's a demand for Tannehill, the Titans will move on pretty quickly.
Coincidence that both teams feature small white WRs?? The guy's got a type
xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

If its anyone it's the Titans.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Brady to the 9ers picking up some steam. Big conversation on Espn this a.m.

I don't foresee it, but I don't know shit, so there is that.