For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Yeesh... talk about a hot take.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... rady-bears
ESPN's 2020 offseason dominoes predicts Tom Brady to the Bears
By Bryan Perez February 10, 2020 8:52 PM

Apparently, Bears fans aren't the only ones who think Tom Brady is a realistic option to replace Mitch Trubisky at quarterback in 2020.

In an article outlining some 2020 NFL offseason dominoes, ESPN painted a scenario where Brady signs with the Bears on a four-year, $110 million deal.

Of course, if the Bears sign Brady to a contract like that (even if it's just a one-year mega-payday), they'll have to free up cap space somewhere. In ESPN's imaginary offseason, GM Ryan Pace finds an extra $13.2 million by trading Leonard Floyd to the Giants for a sixth-round pick.

To free up cap room, the Bears need to move on from their former first-round pick, who has $13.2 million in unguaranteed salary left on the final year of his rookie deal. A Giants team desperate for pass-rushing help sends a late-round pick to the Bears for Floyd, whose sack total has dropped each season since a seven-sack campaign in 2016.

RELATED: Predicting 6 moves the Bears will make this offseason

While that may seem like an undersell for Floyd, the reality is teams around the league know the Bears will have little choice but to cut him, if they make a big-name signing like Brady. As a result, opposing general managers will have all the leverage in negotiations and the Bears will be lucky to get a mid-Day-3 pick back for Floyd, who's generally underachieved through his first four seasons in the NFL.

Back to Brady for a minute. If Pace adds arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game to a roster that really only needs a quarterback with Brady's current skill set (the Bears don't need TB12 from five years ago; last season's Brady is good enough to win with this defense), then those 2019 Super Bowl aspirations will return in 2020. It would also mark the end of Trubisky's tenure with the Bears, which is also factored into this offseason outline.

The Bears, while still in the market for a young quarterback to eventually replace Brady in a year (or two?), move on from Trubisky and trade him to the Dolphins for Josh Rosen. One bust for another? Seems fair. Whether Rosen can resurrect his career with a year behind Brady in a city that's always looking to hitch its wagon to a franchise-caliber quarterback is anyone's guess, but it isn't the most ridiculous suggestion.

It seems like all of football media is expecting the Bears to make a powerful statement about Trubisky this offseason. And none of those predicted statements are positive. Let's hope Trubisky's still wearing those earmuffs and blinders for the next few months.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Holy Moly...I'd be thrilled if this fantasy played out.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

ESPN's 2020 offseason dominoes predicts Tom Brady to the Bears
Back to Brady for a minute. If Pace adds arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game to a roster that really only needs a quarterback with Brady's current skill set (the Bears don't need TB12 from five years ago; last season's Brady is good enough to win with this defense), then those 2019 Super Bowl aspirations will return in 2020.
Ah, I see. The Bears offense is hunky dory. Never mind what the stats show, it is truly a bastion of brilliance just waiting for Tom Brady to show it off in all its glorious majesty.

Never mind the obvious offensive line woes, Tom Brady will be able to avoid all those unblocked pass rushers despite his lack of mobility because he's Tom Brady. They will just fall to their knees and prostrate themselves before his magnificence.

It won't matter that the running backs can't get close to 4 yards a carry because with Tom Brady at the helm Matt Nagy will never run the ball more than 10 time a game anyway.

The TEs will become a real factor because Tom Brady's mere presence will magically transform Adam Shaheen into 'Baby Gronk' and he'll put up numbers like Gronkowski in his prime.

And the WRs will never run the wrong routes or drop passes with Tom Brady throwing them the ball, just like the Patriots WRs didn't last year...
wab
Mod

Yeah... I basically hate it too.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Foolish take by Perez. Brady's not going to a team with a KC-style offense. As pointed out by HisRoyalSweetness in another thread on the subject, how are the Bears going to trade Floyd if they rescind the 5th year offer? If they don't rescind, who's going to pay Floyd $13M per year?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Typical hot offseason take. I would imagine it happens like this. Bunch of sportswriters all go out drinking, bringing up random and outlandish ideas for trades and signings while shooting tequila with beer chasers. Next morning after waking with a hangover and taking a dose of NyQuil every sportswriter prints those outlandish ideas they heard from their buddies as “sourced” so they have their weekly quota of click bait to cause endless talking head and message board debates.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Crazy take, agreed...but @HRSW I don't agree with all of your assumptions. We simply don't know how much of our problems were due to poor QB play (I suspect a lot), which can have impacts well beyond the QB himself. Great QB's elevate other players around them, Brady's done that for a long time now. How many ex-Pats played great with Brady then stunk for their next team?

I do agree that Brady going to an Andy Reid style offense is a poor fit, and ain't gonna happen.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Back to Brady for a minute. If Pace adds arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game to a roster that really only needs a quarterback with Brady's current skill set (the Bears don't need TB12 from five years ago; last season's Brady is good enough to win with this defense), then those 2019 Super Bowl aspirations will return in 2020. It would also mark the end of Trubisky's tenure with the Bears, which is also factored into this offseason outline.
did this person bother to watch any Bears games? I would say they are a bit more than just a skilled QB away for any Super Bowl aspirations

the Bears offensive line had Trubisky running for survival on a regular basis ... that same offensive line would get a not so mobile Tom Brady killed by game 3

so if the Bears find a way to get 3 Pro Bowl caliber line guys to anchor their offense, then going for Brady would make more sense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 pm Crazy take, agreed...but @HRSW I don't agree with all of your assumptions. We simply don't know how much of our problems were due to poor QB play (I suspect a lot), which can have impacts well beyond the QB himself. Great QB's elevate other players around them, Brady's done that for a long time now. How many ex-Pats played great with Brady then stunk for their next team?

I do agree that Brady going to an Andy Reid style offense is a poor fit, and ain't gonna happen.
It wasn't assumptions I was making, rather I was taking a sarcastic shot at the notion that the Bears roster "really only needs a quarterback with Brady's current skill set (the Bears don't need TB12 from five years ago; last season's Brady is good enough to win with this defense)". It's patently nonsense. QB may be the most important position in the game, but it's still a team sport and he can be let down by those around him.

Brady's passer rating was 88.0, only 5 points higher than Trubisky. It wasn't a vintage year for him. He had the NFL's top defense in both yards and points allowed last year but lost at home in his team's first playoff game, yet this writer thinks Brady's level of play in 2019 would make all the difference and turn the Bears into Super Bowl contenders. The Bears were in the same position in 2018, when they had the best defense in the league and Trubisky had a markedly higher passer rating of 95.4. They too were one and done in the playoffs after losing a home game, although Trubisky put his team in position to win that and was let down by the kicker.

Brady at his best, obviously no question. Brady last year? Not the difference maker needed.

As for ex-Pats playing great with Brady and then stinking for their next team, perhaps a certain taciturn head coach is the more significant factor?
IE
Hall of Famer

A lot more happens in 2.5 seconds in Tom Brady's head than Mitch Trubisky's. He has a long record of making people around him better. A lot better, actually. NE had not much of a line either. Or TE. Or WR. And their RBs are arguably not better than the Bears. And he still threw for 4000 yards and 24:8. The guy is the GOAT. Him coming to the Bears would be a lot like Montana on the Chiefs. He'd get them into the playoffs, and likely make at least one good run in 2-3 seasons (especially if the D stayed healthy).

But it won't happen. I imagine anywhere Brady went he'd want to have a ton of control over the offense and play calling. The dollars is another thing. If Pace could pull off keeping the D mostly intact for a few years in this scenario, I actually wouldn't even mind if the Bears went into a future cap hell as a trade for a couple of years of legit runs. I could cheer for a team full of rookies and FAs for a few years afterwards. In the same way I tolerate hangovers.

Why do people bring up Adam Shaheen as an issue at TE? That was solved mid-season. That was one of the highlights of last season. lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I know it's a crazy scenario and insanely unlikely to occur, but it's the off season so what the heck here goes it...maybe Pace needs something really big to distract/explain from moving on from Trubisky? Tom Brady would give Pace a lot of cover in that regard, all the talk would be about Brady coming to Chicago and not so much about Trubisky getting the boot.

8-)

IE I agree with your take. Brady, even at this age, would have a very positive impact on this offense even if he's not a perfect fit. The RPO's would be gone, but so be it. Brady still threw for over 4K yards, 24 TDs to 8 INTs. That's better than Mitch's "good" year and was on a really bad offensive team outside of Brady himself.
IE
Hall of Famer

Ooh... I didn't think of the political cover it would give Pace... "Look, folks - we really like Mitch and think he will develop into a really good franchise QB. But when you get a chance to get what many consider to be the GOAT who makes everyone around him better, and pair that up with what we consider to be a really competitive D... we're taking this step to win right now & get our beloved fans the superbowl they want and we want".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yup...lmao! He could even talk about how Brady would really help Mitch's development, who better to learn from? hahaha
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Whatever Bryan Perez is on he needs to lay off it because he has smoked himself insane.
docc
Head Coach

Brady..
Absurd.. O line would kill the old guy..but at least he has Medicare..and AFLAC..