Former Cowboys WR Drew Pearson calls Mel Tucker a 'con man' after Tucker leaves Colorado for Michigan State

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bad Flanders
MVP

Not really around the NFL but I thought it was funny that there are obviously more than just Bears fans who hate this guy!

From Yahoo sports news

--------------------
Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Drew Pearson is not happy that Mel Tucker left Colorado for Michigan State.

Tucker agreed to be Michigan State’s next coach late Tuesday night after repeated proclamations that he was staying with the school that hired him ahead of the 2019 season. But after Michigan State struck out with Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell, it turned back to Tucker and doubled the coach’s salary in addition to providing him with more money for his staff.

That didn’t sit well with Pearson, who called Tucker a “con man” for taking the Michigan State job after telling him he was staying with the Buffaloes. Pearson’s grandson Toren Pittman is a three-star recruit who signed with Colorado a week ago on National Signing Day.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Not many coaches would "honor their word" and turn down an offer of doubled salary / more money to hire coaches from a more prestigious program. He's not a volunteer after all.

Most of us would do that--probably also Pearson.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He went to a booster event that night and not too long after leaving that event (after proclaiming he wasn't leaving) committed to MSU. He didn't give CU a chance to counter either.

So recruits are screwed at both places. Kids who wanted to go to CU and play for Tucker and now kids committed to MSU who probably don't want to play for Tucker.

He will fail badly at MSU. What a mother tucker.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Guess I'm jaded after watching so many college coaches do that.

They are hired guns with families and their own unspoken ambitions to consider that come before their current program. Whatever new job probably isn't their ultimate dream.

Should we be sorry for the recruits? Some, maybe. But they should also be grateful for the subsidized opportunity. And they just got an education in how the real work world works.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

College coach contracts are a joke
  • Guaranteed money if you fail, get caught cheating, or most other scandal types
  • No need to honor them if you don't feel like it
  • Schools get rich, coaches get rich, players get jack

* Except a scholarship that many aren't qualified to make real use of and who has time to be a good student while being a full-time unpaid athlete anyway?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Mel Tucker is a more verbal anti-transfer portal coaches in the NCAA... which is why him jumping like that is extra hypocritical... good on him for getting his money... but don't be the guy who turns around and calls out players for leaving their brothers or whatever other rah-rah team player trash for someone who wants to put himself in the best position to achieve his dream of playing at the next level...
Drone7
Player of the Month

Saban basically quit on the Dolphins and left them in the lurch.

Then he castigated a player that transferred from AL, calling him a "quitter". That shot was across the bow of every player at AL that might consider leaving not just the QB that wanted to play.

So, yeah, hypocrisy reins...it's The American Way...look out for #1

Most coaches are full of shit control zealots
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Drone7 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 pm Saban basically quit on the Dolphins and left them in the lurch.

Then he castigated a player that transferred from AL, calling him a "quitter". That shot was across the bow of every player at AL that might consider leaving not just the QB that wanted to play.

And Dabo Swinney said he would quit coaching if college players got paid... sure doesn't stop him from cashing his 9.3m per year from his contract...

Also Saban called a 5 star recruit who stopped showing up to practice before school started a quitter... he's didn't lash out at Hurts when he decided to transfer... and while he has said he doesn't agree with the transfer portal, he doesn't normally comment on kids transferring away... normally because he's probably asked them to do so to make room for a new 4/5 star recruit... because that's how Alabama is able to sign 25+ recruits a year... over-signing and getting under performing players to transfer out to clear scholarships...

Not sure if you were trying to make some point about Alabama... most schools don't care about the kids beyond what they can provide them on the field... all programs only want to win games and increase their incomes and getting the best players and preparing them for the NFL is how that happens... and again, I don't blame Tucker for taking the offer but FFS don't act like it isn't hypocritical to complain about kids transferring to try and better their lives and then take a job offer without even telling your team prior... pretty sure his players and recruits found out about their coach leaving the same way the rest of us did... on the news...
Drone7
Player of the Month

Agree with your points about flushing the roster, but I'm not sure it applies to every situation.

I just don't see much difference between Saban's self-interested mentality and Tucker's.

Anybody that listens to a coach preach loyalty is naive. Most are politicians.
IE
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:08 pm Saban basically quit on the Dolphins and left them in the lurch.

Sparty fans STILL hate Saban for leaving MSU after promising to stay to go to LSU who hated him for promising to stay but going to Miami who hated him for promising to stay but going to Bama. He's broken a promise everywhere he went.

My son is at MSU and my stepson is a grad. I don't think they're too thrilled about Tucker.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!