Jameis Winston next QB to be linked to Bears for some reason

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I guess this Barnwell dude is just working his way down the list.
How could Jameis Winston end up signing with Bears?

Alyssa Barbieri
7 hours ago

The Bears are one of several teams that will be in the market for a veteran quarterback this offseason. It’s safe to say at this point that every viable option in free agency or via trade has been linked to the Bears by some varying degree.

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell has been laying out different scenarios about where some big-name free agents could wind up — and how it will impact other teams this offseason.

Although Barnwell’s latest projection involving the Bears quarterback position isn’t as crazy as Tom Brady landing in Chicago.

Barnwell projects a scenario where Jameis Winston signs a one-year, $9 million contract with the Bears, which would be just enough time to see if Trubisky can turn things around or if Winston needs to step in should Trubisky continue to struggle.

"While the Bears are publicly committed to Mitchell Trubisky, they need to bring in a quarterback who can compete for the starting job. Winston’s market is totally uncertain; there might not be any team that thinks he’s worth starter money, and if not, he might need to settle for a one-year deal and a competition. Trubisky’s backup Chase Daniel can return to Kansas City to sit behind Patrick Mahomes."

Now, Barnwell’s scenario is predicated on if the Buccaneers lock up Philip Rivers to a three-year $90 million deal.

Winston has been known for his inconsistent play, but he’s had his moments. Look no further than his 30 touchdown/30 interception performance in 2019.

But Winston’s upside is definitely appealing. The Bears could sign him to a low-risk contract, where he could battle Trubisky for the starting job, and be better off than they were in 2019.
Drone7
Player of the Month

A good playmaker, talented passer, but a terrifying turnover machine (even worse than Cutler) that could get arrested for sexual assault at any time these days. Smooth sociopathic mentality.

Doubt Pace and the McCaskeys would allow that kind of risky move. They will seek someone safer.

He just had Lasik to correct his downfield vision, but I've seen him throw plenty of picks underneath, where u scratch your head and wonder what was he seeing? Did he understand the coverage? Interested to see how he does next time he gets on the field, wherever.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi suicide watch....
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

One article I read tried to say that Winston fit Nagy's offense more than Trubisky. WTF?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 am One article I read tried to say that Winston fit Nagy's offense more than Trubisky. WTF?
In a way. He's a much bigger down field threat because Trubisky frequently can't put the ball in the area code. Nagy's offense wants to go deep a lot. The big play is pretty likely to be an interception though, and Trubisky is pretty good at taking care of the ball.
Last edited by BR0D1E86 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year. Grab a mid-round prospect in this year's draft on the off-chance you land a Wilson or a Prescott, but if Trubisky doesn't come good then take another swing in the first round next year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am Am I the only one who has no interest in any re-tread at the QB position? We've been down that route with Cutler and he had far better credentials and potential at the time the Bears acquired him than any of the names being bandied around with the exception of Brady and Rivers in the twilight of their careers.

Dismissing a re-tread QB because of the Cutler experience is some really bad logic. Each QB and each situation is different, and none have anything at all to do with smokin' Jay. A couple of re-tread QB's made playoff runs this year (Taneyhill, Garapollo).

IMO this decision is all about whether or not you think we can compete for a Super Bowl in 2020 "if we just had good QB play" or not. i.e., are we in "win now" mode or aren't we? If you believe we are in win now mode, then rolling with Cutler and a mid round QB flyer is an awful idea. If you don't, then it makes complete sense to do that. I fall on the "win now" side, so I'd like to see competent competition brought in for Mitch. The reason for that is simple, he sucked last year. He ranked as one of the worst QB's in the NFL. So the odds are pretty decent that he'll suck next year too, even if you are generous to Mitch it's at best a 50/50 chance that he sucks/doesn't suck. So if you think we can "win now", you can't roll with a 50/50 shot at best of having competent QB play.

If we aren't in win now mode, then by all means exhaust every possibility that the #2 draft pick can avoid being a full on bust and hope he turns it around. Then move on after 2020 if he fails again.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think he wins more games for the Bears than Mitch, and loses more games than Mitch. If he wanted to come play for $6m or something then sure wtf but he's going to get low-level QB1 money and we don't have it to use for an experiment. The Bears need to be setting the table for 2021

No expensive re-treads please
xyt in the discord chats
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Drew Brees was a retread at QB that worked out pretty well for the Saints. And even though it didn’t work out, Cutler is the best QB I’ve seen the Bears have in my lifetime.

Trubisky will be here next year because of his salary cap hit and because no one will trade for him.

But you cannot pin your hopes on his development, that cost the Bears a playoff spot last year.

They need a veteran QB that can push Trubisky (not a high bar, if we’re being honest) and a QB from the draft in hopes of hitting the lottery.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The coach that rejuvenated and stuck with Kurt Warner after several bad years, and made Carson Palmer look better than average at the tail end of his career, wants nothing to do with Winston.
I'm not a fan.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Drew Brees was a retread at QB that worked out pretty well for the Saints. And even though it didn’t work out, Cutler is the best QB I’ve seen the Bears have in my lifetime.

Trubisky will be here next year because of his salary cap hit and because no one will trade for him.

But you cannot pin your hopes on his development, that cost the Bears a playoff spot last year.

They need a veteran QB that can push Trubisky (not a high bar, if we’re being honest) and a QB from the draft in hopes of hitting the lottery.
Aside from Brees, I believe only three other QBs have won a Super Bowl with a team other than their first in the last 30 years.:

- Trent Dilfer in his sole year with the Ravens.
- Brad Johnson with the Buccaneers
- Peyton Manning with the Broncos, when he stunk up the place with a 67.9 passer rating.

All they show is that if the team is good enough then you can still win it all with poor QB play. That being the case why bother with another team's cast off? You may as well stick with your own lacklustre QB for one more year. That's not pinning your hopes on his development, just acknowledging that if the light doesn't come on then you're not really losing anything.

And pinning their hopes on Trubisky's development didn't cost the Bears a playoff place last year. The whole team regressed, especially the offense. No team in the league would have brought in competition for a third year QB who had just led his team to a division title and made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

I just don't see a QB out there this year who is going to be the 'solution' to the Bears quarterbacking woes. In five years Winston has never had a passer rating as high as Trubisky did in his second season. I just don't see him as an upgrade. If Trubisky flames out then I'd rather the team just keep taking shots in the draft.
Drone7
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am I'm hanging my hat on Trubisky developing into the player Pace thought he was when he drafted him for one more year.
I doubt Pace even still believes that. Much less many around the league. Mahomes and Watson are respected as franchise QBs. Trubisky, many wonder if he will make it as a starter.

Even though others' play on O dropped off, also doubt your later statement that they wouldn't have been in contention with a competent veteran QB. There were several games Trubisky dragged down the offense...and negatively affected the defense.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Apparently the odds that a retread QB becomes the next Ryan Tannehill is a better bet than an inexperienced QB showing some growth.

Okay then.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Aside from Brees, I believe only three other QBs have won a Super Bowl with a team other than their first in the last 30 years.:

- Trent Dilfer in his sole year with the Ravens.
- Brad Johnson with the Buccaneers
- Peyton Manning with the Broncos, when he stunk up the place with a 67.9 passer rating.

All they show is that if the team is good enough then you can still win it all with poor QB play. That being the case why bother with another team's cast off? You may as well stick with your own lacklustre QB for one more year. That's not pinning your hopes on his development, just acknowledging that if the light doesn't come on then you're not really losing anything.

And pinning their hopes on Trubisky's development didn't cost the Bears a playoff place last year. The whole team regressed, especially the offense. No team in the league would have brought in competition for a third year QB who had just led his team to a division title and made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

I just don't see a QB out there this year who is going to be the 'solution' to the Bears quarterbacking woes. In five years Winston has never had a passer rating as high as Trubisky did in his second season. I just don't see him as an upgrade. If Trubisky flames out then I'd rather the team just keep taking shots in the draft.
This is my take on it as well. It's consistently been my argument that Trubisky was going to need a somewhat longer development window, so I'm completely onboard with him being the starter in 2020. If he plays terribly, let him go after the year, if he continues to show signs of year-on-year growth, let him play through his 5th year option and then make a decision contractually then. We know Pace's blueprint for a QB was Drew Brees -- statistically speaking, Trubisky compares well to Brees through a similar number of starts. Trubisky is far and away better in comparison to, for example, Eli Manning through his first 3 years. I believe it's premature to make a decision now to move on.

My best case scenario remains Alex Smith is released, willing to take top-tier backup pay for next year, and comes to work with Nagy on a 1 year deal (it wouldn't make sense for him to take a multi-year backup tier deal unless he's convinced he's probably not going to get another shot at a starting job anywhere). I think it's notable that both Mahomes and Kaepernick thanked Alex Smith for what he did as a mentor to speed their development. We know he fits Nagy. If he can help Trubisky take the next step forward (along with the gaggle of QB-specializing coaches we now have), great. If Trubisky falls off a cliff in 2020, Smith would be a clear option to step in and potentially still help us salvage a playoff run, and likely be a bridge QB while we go back to the draft well again.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 am

Dismissing a re-tread QB because of the Cutler experience is some really bad logic. Each QB and each situation is different, and none have anything at all to do with smokin' Jay. A couple of re-tread QB's made playoff runs this year (Taneyhill, Garapollo).

IMO this decision is all about whether or not you think we can compete for a Super Bowl in 2020 "if we just had good QB play" or not. i.e., are we in "win now" mode or aren't we? If you believe we are in win now mode, then rolling with Cutler and a mid round QB flyer is an awful idea. If you don't, then it makes complete sense to do that. I fall on the "win now" side, so I'd like to see competent competition brought in for Mitch. The reason for that is simple, he sucked last year. He ranked as one of the worst QB's in the NFL. So the odds are pretty decent that he'll suck next year too, even if you are generous to Mitch it's at best a 50/50 chance that he sucks/doesn't suck. So if you think we can "win now", you can't roll with a 50/50 shot at best of having competent QB play.

If we aren't in win now mode, then by all means exhaust every possibility that the #2 draft pick can avoid being a full on bust and hope he turns it around. Then move on after 2020 if he fails again.
I'm agreeing with Dplank here. By all means see how Trubisky does in training camp and preseason games (yes, play him a bit this year) but bring in a higher end veteran who can step in if he doesn't make that next step. And don't wait until half the season's gone before deciding. Otherwise there's no reason to keep on paying for top level defensive talent because the offense won't be able to outscore a pee wee football team again and the Bears will be stuck in the dreaded 6-10/7-9/8-8 territory and have no shot at drafting a franchise QB.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 pm Yogi suicide watch....
Oh HELL NO! If we went after JaRapist Winston it wouldn't be a suicide watch you need worry about. It would be more like a terrorist watch. lol

As I said when he came out, if JaRapist becomes a Bear, I could no longer root for the Bears. I'd disown them. That fucker needs to be in jail!
wab
Mod

Decaf bruh
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:48 am Image
Same tho.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 amDecaf bruh
Sorry, but rapists that get away with it more than piss me off, particularly if they get away with it simple because of who they are. And no, I never wanted anything to do with Rapistberger either. :puke:
Drone7
Player of the Month

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am
wab wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 amDecaf bruh
Sorry, but rapists that get away with it more than piss me off, particularly if they get away with it simple because of who they are. And no, I never wanted anything to do with Rapistberger either. :puke:
Our Guy sports an Abe Lincoln and checkered suits; he doesn't need to rape a woman. :-?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:43 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am

Our Guy sports an Abe Lincoln and checkered suits; he doesn't need to rape a woman. :-?
I don't know if you're talking about Winston, but if you are-- :flick: He ain't MY Guy! And Bill Cosby and Darren Sharper didn't need to rape women either. That must mean that they didn't do it. :frustrated: Might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. In actuality, nobody NEEDS to rape a woman. What kind of stupid fucking defense is that?

Winston raped that girl at Florida State and the police buried it because of who he was. He might have gotten away with it, but it doesn't mean that I have to accept it or root for any team that he's on, including the Bears. In fact, I love watching the Beloved play against him hoping we'll put him in the fucking hospital.
Drone7
Player of the Month

lol...I was kidding about Mitchell's awkward sense of style. My comment had nothing to do with Winston.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:08 pm lol...I was kidding about Mitchell's awkward sense of style. My comment had nothing to do with Winston.
Okay. Sorry about that. I thought that might be case, which is why I waited so long to respond. But then I saw this:

Thought then you might have been talking about Winston. My bad.
Richie
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:02 pm
Drone7 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:43 am

I don't know if you're talking about Winston, but if you are-- :flick: He ain't MY Guy! And Bill Cosby and Darren Sharper didn't need to rape women either. That must mean that they didn't do it. :frustrated: Might be one of the stupidest things I've ever read. In actuality, nobody NEEDS to rape a woman. What kind of stupid fucking defense is that?

Winston raped that girl at Florida State and the police buried it because of who he was. He might have gotten away with it, but it doesn't mean that I have to accept it or root for any team that he's on, including the Bears. In fact, I love watching the Beloved play against him hoping we'll put him in the fucking hospital.
I hate the average person on the internet so much because of posts like this. It's so clear you have never even looked into the Winston case at FSU or how it was handled. Yet, you feel like you can just spout shit like that.

You KNOW he assaulted the girl? Give me a break. Good lord.

The Tallahassee police were not the only ones who investigated the case. The State's Attorney Office, Florida State University and a retired Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court (in a neutral party private investigation) reviewed the case. Stating that there was no grounds for charges and the story brought forth by the accused was inconsistent.

They also stated that with EVERY investigation - when new evidence was brought to light? She would change her statement to fit the evidence.

"I was blackout drunk!"

Report reveals that the accuser's blood alcohol level was only 0.04

"He drugged me then!"

Toxicology reports revealed that she was not drugged.

The physical evidence, including the r*pe kit, the BAC and toxicology tests, the physical examination, the lab reports, etc., all of which range from neutral, to explicitly supporting Winston's version of events. Everything pointed to their being absolutely no drugging, excessive drinking and most of all... it pointed to consensual sex.

The Chief Justice didn't just stop at stating that there isn't enough evidence for legal charges either.

The evidence must show that it is more probable than not that you are responsible for the charged violations. After a thorough review, the evidence before me does not satisfy this threshold and, therefore, you are not responsible for the aforementioned charged violations. -- Justice Harding, in a December 21st ruling in Code of Conduct Hearing.

This is a major statement, one that likely won't be fully appreciated my many - especially those who made up their minds long ago. It is clearly stating that 1,000 pages of evidence shows the allegation against Winston cannot be sustained at even the easiest possible standard -preponderance of the evidence. Meaning that the accused would be found responsible if there was just a 51 percent chance (more likely than not) that the accusation was true.

This isn't "there's not enough for a criminal charge," but rather "there isn't even enough to claim that you more likely than not are responsible for these charges."

She went to the police... who exonerated Jameis. She went to the school... who exonerated Jameis... The State's attorney's office investigated, and they exonerated Jameis... A former Chief Justice on the Supreme Court did a private investigation... and exonerated Jameis. Not only did they exonerate him, they outright called her story inconsistent and dishonest.

Her only choice was to go to a civil court, and threaten to drag the process out forever. (What a coincidence? Wouldn't you know she waited until he was drafted #1 overall?) Forcing Winston to pay an absurd amount in legal fees, for a case where it was already accepted that he did nothing wrong.

Was her case settled? Yes. But guess what? A judge ruled in favor of Jameis to proceed with a slander trial. Where she also settled out of court.

There is zero excuse for talking so assuredly about Winston having been guilty in that FSU case. It's honestly embarrassing.

Did the university itself TOTALLY panic and screw up their own internal investigation? Sure, but how does that make Jameis himself guilty?

If you were the officer in charge of Jameis's investigation and presented with all of the above information. Good luck in filing those charges. Not going to get very far... Proving it beyond a reasonable doubt at a trial? Ha. I would like to watch you try.

Does myself having once been falsely accused of a crime play a role in how much this post pissed me off? You bet your ass - but it doesn't take away from anything stated here.
wab
Mod

Let’s just.... not get into all this.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 am Let’s just.... not get into all this.
Let's. Let's do this shit.

There are logical holes in both posters statements. Non of that matters though. Winston was caught fucking stray dogs on 32nd St. Bobby Bowden bailed him out and got Jeb Bush to put some pressure on the DA to drop charges. Bowden has been accused of similar activities with small mammals.

Prove me wrong.
Umbali
MVP

wow..this went down the rabbit hole
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

And I hate people who excuse rapists like JaRapist Winston.

I did extensive research into this at the time. All those posts were on the old CBFan board. She convinced me absolutely, so much so, that if the Bears sign Winston I will disown the Bears.

Some undisputed facts:

Erica Kinsman did NOT know who Winston was when the incident happened (He was a recent transfer to FSU and hadn't played in a game yet).

She reported the incident as a rape the next morning. The nurses who handled the examination all believed that she was raped.

She didn't know who it was until the next semester when she shared a class with Winston. When she identified Winston, the police started dragging their feet.

Nobody was interviewed in the case for 10 months nor was her rape kit processed during that time.

Ronald Darby (Winston's corroborative witness) wrote a facebook post the day after the incident: "I have never been so humiliated in my life." The video he made of the incident, was somehow deleted (right).

There was another rape allegation against Winston at FSU that was buried. And we now have the Uber Driver while in the NFL. My bet is there will be more going forward.

Here's a good link:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wn33 ... nformation

And I'll leave you with her own words (something you have apparently refused to hear:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHuntingGrou ... 026319509/

Now ask yourself why she would do this. She didn't even know who he was. I'm convinced by her and absolutely don't trust anything that was with the Tallahassee police for any length of time. Enough that I reiterate, I will disown the Bears if they sign him. That fucker should be in prision.

I'll let it go now.