Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
Posted by Josh Alper on February 12, 2020, 2:01 PM EST

When Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin discussed the team’s plans for quarterback Andy Dalton last month, he said the team would not do anything that Dalton is “uncomfortable with” and that they will be in “constant communication” this offseason.

The backdrop for those comments is the expectation that the Bengals are going to use the first overall draft pick on a quarterback this April and it appears one of the things they’ll be discussing with Dalton is the possibility of a trade.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is willing to work with Dalton to facilitate a trade to another team “when the time is right.” That approach would give Dalton some say over his next team while also offering the Bengals a chance to gain some compensation in return for the veteran quarterback.

That outcome will rely on another team stepping up to acquire Dalton along with the contract that’s set to pay him a salary of $17.5 million in 2020.
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, there's no way this ends well. Either the Bengals cave (just as Jacksonville will with Foles) and eats a chunk of that contract, or they simply cut him for nothing and eat the penalty.

He could probably be had for a 6th rounder or even a conditional pick if you take on that full contract.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm Yeah, there's no way this ends well. Either the Bengals cave (just as Jacksonville will with Foles) and eats a chunk of that contract, or they simply cut him for nothing and eat the penalty.

He could probably be had for a 6th rounder or even a conditional pick if you take on that full contract.
Right now they are hoping to squeeze a pick out of a team, but they will end up cutting him because there is zero dead money.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I'm rather interested in signing him if he's released. I have zero interest in trading for him and paying him almost 18 million dollars.
Drone7
Player of the Month

There may be a market for him once the more touted QBs are signed and some teams are left out. I have no idea what that market would be though. Heard everything from a 2-7. And then there are some that believe he will ultimately just be cut.

I've seen him play many times, so I know his limitations, but there's little doubt in my mind that he would beat out Trubisky ...IF...Pace and Nagy allowed a fair competition, which they likely won't. He still isn't that old so he would be a good bridge QB--much better than Glennon to another young QB. Of course, letting Pace find that next QB doesn't exactly inspire confidence given that he has the same scouting department and no high #1 in the foreseeable future.

Would love to know what the market is for Mitch? That might be embarrassing.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There's thought that Cincy might want to wait until after the draft and will trade Dalton depending on which QB they end up with. The market, though, may be be dried up by then. Teams want to move as soon as free agency starts.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Why would Dalton cooperate and agree to a new deal with the trading team vs hitting the market and having full say over where he goes?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:26 pm Why would Dalton cooperate and agree to a new deal with the trading team vs hitting the market and having full say over where he goes?
He's under contract for 2020. A lucrative future contract will depend on him starting and doing well this year. The Bears might offer the best chance for him as well as the Chargers.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 am
Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:26 pm Why would Dalton cooperate and agree to a new deal with the trading team vs hitting the market and having full say over where he goes?
He's under contract for 2020. A lucrative future contract will depend on him starting and doing well this year. The Bears might offer the best chance for him as well as the Chargers.
He's under contract, but there's 0 chance they keep him.
The Bengal options are trade or cut.
Dalton gets more control and presumably more money if he's cut and a FA.
And all he has to do to block a trade is to say he won't renegotiate his deal, which is more than anyone's going to want to pay.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Pats are also rumored if Brady moves on.