UPDATED - QB Carousel Predictions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

It's fixin' to be a wild offseason with a truck load of veteran QB's available. I'm bored at work this afternoon, so I thought I'd predict where everyone ends up.

QB Carousel Predictions

Tom Brady – Las Vegas Raiders
A decent enough defense and an offense that boasts a solid ground game and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL could entice Brady to the desert. Gruden is at his best as a coach when he has a veteran presence that he trusts under center.

Derek Carr – Carolina Panthers
After the Raiders bring in Brady, Carr will be looking for a home. The Panthers make a ton of sense, and he’d be a steady veteran presence for Matt Rhule. They could probably get him for a 2nd round pick.

Cam Newton – Miami Dolphins
Word right now is that the Dolphins are perfectly fine waiting until round 2 or 3 for a developmental QB because they have so many needs elsewhere. Enter Cam Newton, who was already on the way out, but is now certainly displaced given the team’s acquisition of Carr. I wouldn’t think it would take more than a 4th or 5th round pick to pry Newton away. The dolphins have a ton of picks, so they could surround Newton with some good young talent.

Phillip Rivers – Tampa Bay Bucs
Rivers’ family lives in Florida and the Bucs should be ready to move on from Winston. Bruce Arians doesn’t exactly hide the fact that he’s not a Winston fan either. Rivers still wants to play...and Tampa Bay isn't as far away from competing for a title as it might seem.

Jameis Winston – Indianapolis Colts
The Colts don’t seem set on Jacoby Brissett, and Winston isn’t exactly a monumental upgrade, but he fits what Frank Reich wants to do on offense a little better – if he can cut down on the mistakes.

Drew Brees – Retirement
If he doesn’t return to the Saints then retirement makes the most sense.

Teddy Bridgewater – New England Patriots
Bridgewater fits perfectly in the Pats offense. He’s accurate and doesn’t take unneeded risks - so basically he’s a perfect Belichick QB. He also offers athleticism that the Patriots haven’t had at QB in a while.

Taysom Hill –New Orleans Saints
Even if Brees returns to the Saints for one more run, they have the rights to Hill. I think that Payton really is ready to hand the keys to the offense over to Hill.

Ryan Tannehill – Tennessee Titans
The Titans have a talented roster and enough money that they could conceivably make a push for Brady given that they are coached by his former teammate, but it just makes too much sense for Tannehill to come back and build on his strong 2019.

Marcus Mariota – San Diego Chargers
Mariota needs a reboot and the Chargers are a good place to do it. He’ll need to understand that they will be taking a QB high in the draft and that he will have to compete for the job. That offense fits his skillset pretty well.

Dak Prescott – Dallas Cowboys
He’ll be franchised and it’ll turn into a mess. Because Cowboys.

Andy Dalton – Chicago Bears
He could be the Alex Smith figure to Mitch Trubisky while giving the Bears a legitimate starting option if Trubisky’s regression continues. They’ll need to work out is wicked cap number though.

Case Keenum – Cincinnati Bengals
Keenum is the perfect bridge QB for the Bengals, and Keenum should be cool mentoring Burrow.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Chargers - Tyrod Taylor is under contract for another year. Do they sign a FA or go for a Bridgewater and use the pick elsewhere

Dolphins - Fitzmagic is under contract for another year. He'll be the bridge to Tua

Detroit - Does Stafford retire? If so, does Detroit strike at the #3 spot in the draft

Carolina - Desperately seeking to shed Cam's contract. Will they look for a replacement in the draft or a FA

Patriots - Tom or ? Will Kraft only offer a 1 year deal and he goes to Oakland for 2 years? If so, will they make a strong play for Bridgewater

Bengals - going to draft Burrows #1. Do they keep Dalton for a year as a mentor or try to trade him before the draft for a low pick

Bears - Is Pace serious about high quality competition for Trubisky. If not and Mitch fails, there will be a major housecleaning at the end of the season. Dalton, maybe Keenum, Bridgewater are in play
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'll give it a shot - QB Carousel Predictions

Tom Brady – San Die ..... Los Angeles Chargers : the Chargers will want to make a big splash in their new digs and having the GOAT in a powder blue 12 will do just fine ... and what better guy to have on board as the mentor to the QB they will be drafting

Derek Carr – Chicago Bears : Carr is a decent QB without a lot of baggage, a lunchpail type of player who will fit in well in Chicago ... only question is will Pace bite the bullet on replacing his chosen one?

Cam Newton – XFL : if his injury history isn't bad enough, Newton strikes me as someone simply no longer mentally cut out for the NFL ... he wants to be the star but no longer has that draw ... a year in the XFL will give him his ego fuel as a headliner once again
Phillip Rivers – Tampa Bay Bucs
Rivers’ family lives in Florida and the Bucs should be ready to move on from Winston. Bruce Arians doesn’t exactly hide the fact that he’s not a Winston fan either. Rivers still wants to play...and Tampa Bay isn't as far away from competing for a title as it might seem.
I agree with Rivers to the Bucs

Jameis Winston – Miami Dolphins : the Dolphins don't seem to have a clear idea of what they want and they do have Fitzpatrick, so their hope would be for some of the Fitzmagic to get translated to Winston for the long haul
Drew Brees – Retirement
If he doesn’t return to the Saints then retirement makes the most sense.

Teddy Bridgewater – New England Patriots
Bridgewater fits perfectly in the Pats offense. He’s accurate and doesn’t take unneeded risks - so basically he’s a perfect Belichick QB. He also offers athleticism that the Patriots haven’t had at QB in a while.

Taysom Hill –New Orleans Saints
Even if Brees returns to the Saints for one more run, they have the rights to Hill. I think that Payton really is ready to hand the keys to the offense over to Hill.

Ryan Tannehill – Tennessee Titans
The Titans have a talented roster and enough money that they could conceivably make a push for Brady given that they are coached by his former teammate, but it just makes too much sense for Tannehill to come back and build on his strong 2019.
agree with all of the above

Marcus Mariota – Las Vegas Raiders : Chucky considers himself a QB savant so will gladly take a replacement for Carr that can be a guy he can mold and rebuild ... and then they'll draft someone to get headlines
He’ll be franchised and it’ll turn into a mess. Because Cowboys.
agreed

Andy Dalton – Indianapolis Colts : Colts don't seem sold on Brissett in spite of what he has done for them after the surprise retirement so Dalton and a drafted QB should be the direction they'll follow
Case Keenum – Cincinnati Bengals
Keenum is the perfect bridge QB for the Bengals, and Keenum should be cool mentoring Burrow.
agreed
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Updated predictions and trickle down impact:

Tom Brady – Tennessee Titans
I think Tennessee is the current frontrunner with San Fran a close second. The Titans have a boatload of cap space, weapons on offense, a decent line, and a quality defense. San Fran makes a lot of sense for Brady personally…but their cap situation and current QB complicates things.

Andy Dalton – New England Patriots
Seems like a very Pats thing to do. I think Dalton is eventually cut and is on the first plane to Boston.

Ryan Tannehill – Tampa Bay Bucs
A lot of folks are predicting Bridgewater to Bucs, but that doesn’t mesh with Bruce Arians. Arians likes guys who are careful with the ball, but also guys with a big enough arm that they can get it down the field. Tannehill fits that bill.

Jameis Winston – Las Vegas Raiders
No one loves a reclamation project more than Jon Gruden. Chucky was a huge fan of Winston and I imagine he will fall right back in love with that arm and mobility. Even though this doesn’t necessarily signal the end for Carr, it will make things interesting.

Derek Carr – Chicago Bears
The Bears are in “it’s time” mode and as big of a supporter as I am in Mitch, they have to make this move if the Raiders decide to part ways. The Bears would give the Raiders back their original 2nd round pick and a conditional 3rd round pick next year that could turn into a 2nd.

Teddy Bridgewater – Carolina Panthers
New offensive coordinator Joe Brady worked with Bridgewater in New Orleans. With them moving on from Newton, he’s a perfect fit.

Cam Newton – Washington Redskins
Even if Matt Ruhle stated he intends to keep Newton around, the Panthers save almost 20mil if they don’t. Newton had a great relationship with Ron Rivera and bringing Newton on board would allow Washington to be more patient with Haskins.

The rest:

Drew Brees – Resigned with New Orleans

Taysom Hill – New Orleans
They will give him at least a 2nd round tender and quietly hope some team matches the contract. I think they still believe he can take over for Brees at some point.

Phillip Rivers – Indianapolis Colts
Reuniting with Frank Reich might be more appealing than limping along with the Bucs. Plus, throwing deep behind one of the best offensive lines in football doesn’t hurt either.

Marcus Mariota – LA Chargers
Anthony Lynn loves Tyrod Taylor – who only has one year left on his contract, but at a minimum the Chargers need someone else in case the draft doesn’t pan out the way they hope.

He’s not going anywhere.

Case Keenum – Cleveland Browns
Browns are rumored to be all in on Keenum as the backup for Mayfield.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I can't see Brady going to SF, they're already paying Garropolo a fortune, don't have a lot of draft picks, and can't have that much money tied up with QBs. I've love to see Winston go to the Raiders, especially if it frees up Carr for a trade to the Bears. Pretty reasonable price although I'd like to see them try for a lower conditional pick in '21. That would free up Trubisky for a trade, the Bears aren't keeping him around if they get Carr. I wonder what trade value he would have, a 4th/5th/6th.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?