Hoog's Bears Mock (February)

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hoog
Pro Bowler

I had a hernia surgery so while I was laid up, I looked at a lot of draft information and players. Really looked hard at the middle and late round guys. Here is my first truly researched mock draft for the Bears without any trades which was hard for me since I really want to trade one of the second rounders to get extra picks in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Probably do another one (with trades) after the combine. So here it is:

2020 Bears Draft (estimated slots)

R2 (43): Austin Jackson, OT, USC- Big, mobile, LT prospect who in any other year would be a solid first rounder. This draft has quite a few really nice OT prospects and we might even be able to choose from a group of Jackson, Becton, Wirfs, or Jones if the QB’s go heavy in the first round. Regardless, you can’t pass up a solid LT prospect at #43 no matter what, IMO. He has the body and feet to become a stud LT but right now needs to work a bit on his balance and lunging. More pass than run guy right now but that will come. He should be a clear heir apparent to Leno Jr.

R2 (50): Anfernee Jennings, OLB, Alabama- This kid is going to be good, real good. I like him over his running mate Lewis. He is being very underrated right now. He is said to be stiff but from what I've seen he looks smooth enough to me. What he lacks in speed/agility, he more than makes up for in smarts and heart. He is a very versatile OLB who plays a lot like Mack. He’s a banger but can cover. He makes ball carriers pay and shows very good technique with his tackling. Not many misses that I see. He has a nice little knack for pass rushing as well. More power move rusher but has sneaky quickness. I think he might just be what we all thought Floyd would be when we drafted him, with more sacks.

R4 (130): Devon Hamilton, DE/DT, OSU- Big, athletic kid, with power and motor. He was a main cog in the middle of the defense for OSU. Mainly played hand down inside but seems the perfect size and athlete to cover the end as well in our 3-4 defense. Used as the anchor on the inside and constantly absorbed double teams. Positions himself well to penetrate and get sacks. Good effort but lacks the tackles he should get. Athletic enough to man the end. I think he could be a Hicks type player once he gets accustomed to his role. With age and injury, we need to have some more coverage behind Hicks now.

R5 (148): Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida- Very good athlete with speed and great hands. I think he is the forgotten TE in this group. Said to be a willing blocker but he is a bit thin. Has good size at 6’5”. Was used flexed out, in the slot, and even in the backfield. Very tough in the middle of the field and finding open spots in the defense. Good route runner, in and out of breaks, and very good body control. Good pass protector in the H-Back role. I like Wilcox and Harrison Bryant in rounds 4/5 of this draft and I think you’ll get the same or better value than the players going in 2/3.

R5 (152): Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky- This is a true brawler and a guy that will help our run game as the RG. I think he will be here in round 5 because he’s basically a RG and nothing else. He will be, however, a very good RG who can hold his own in the pass game but more than excel in the run game. Great base, engages will, and when he gets his guy he holds the block till the whistle. Not much of a mover or flexibility here but adequate in pass game. His base and balance set him apart from other maulers. As I said, he is one of those RG that has huge value in your run game, which is what we need.

R6 (196): Julian Blackmon, S, Utah- I love this kid. Good size (6’1” 205lbs), was a CB originally so has good coverage, but LOVES to tackle. Very good speed and quickness. He’s not passive when he's on an island as the last line of defense and will close distance quickly to be a reliable finisher. Good cover skills but is known more for his physicality and tackling skills. His anticipation and angles need to improve a bit and are the reason he moved from CB to S but a very solid player here. Really got the feel for safety in 2018 and 2019. Had 10 pass defenses in 2018, 4 INT in 2019, 60 tackles 2019, and 1.5 sacks in 2019.

R6 (200): Monquavion Brinson, CB, Georgia Southern- A very good 4 year starter who shines in the pass and run games. Very physical CB who has great tackling skills. He can also cover very well with a lot of pass defenses over the years (high of 12 in a season but mostly double digits in seasons). He had 5 INT’s in his sophomore year so he knows how to play the ball as well. Very confident player and won’t back down from anyone. High energy and is on “go” the whole game. Will get in WR’s heads and talks a lot. Decent size (5’11” 205lbs) and is a very good twitch athlete. Very comparable to Fuller but brings the swagger.

R7 (234): Logan Wilson, ILB, Wyoming- He has good size at 6’3” 250lbs. Diagnoses and finishes plays really well. He is a tackling machine averaging 100 tackles per season in 4 years. Add a lot in the passing game as well this year with 7 PD’s and 4 INT’s. Originally came to Wyoming as a safety so has athletic body and skills. He still isn’t the quickest of foot so would have to stay inside for the most part but can cover TE if needed. His play awareness allows him to make up for his slower foot speed. Good leader and locker room guy. Very good tackling technique and excels on solo tackles.
wab
Mod

I like it. If Jackson drops to R2, it would be amazing - and I'm also a Jennings fan.

I'd swap the CB out for a RB or speed WR, but no real complains. Although I think Blackmon goes in the early middle rounds.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Yea, I thought about a late RB or WR but really has some iffy guys to still be there in the 6th. I like LaMical Perine from Florida at RB and Collin Johnson (Texas), Isiah Hodgins (ORG St), Denzel Mims (Baylor), and Tony Brown (Colorado) at WR but didn't think any would be there at that pick.

I really haven't seen Blackmon that high yet but he should be. I like the kid a lot and would love to see him in a Bears uni
UOK
Site Admin

I'd be most pleased with this draft class. Well done.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This would be a nice draft if a vet QB is. brought in. Fills a lot of holes.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Really solid all the way around. Love the Wilcox pick in R5, I think he's pretty under-rated and flying under the radar to this point. I see him having that potential to be a Kelce/Kittle type of guy at the next level. Kelce (R3) and Kittle (R5) were mid-late round picks that have completely exceeded their college level of production. Wilcox can be that type of guy IMO, if utilized properly. I think Nagy's system is TE friendly, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also really liked the Jennings pick in R2. Watching him on tape I see a kid that can run by you, run through you and also has a real knack for batting balls and picking passes off. I'd be real excited if the Bears landed him.

The only gripe I have is you didn't really address the WR position. IMO with Gabriel most likely to be cut, we have literally no real speed options on the roster. Nagy's system requires speed at the position to attack defenders downfield. I don't see the Bears spending money in FA on WR because they'll be cutting Gabriel trying to save money, meaning they'll be looking to add someone via the draft.
Never Die Easy
EricTighe
MVP

We do have one of the fastest men in the NFL at WR. To bad he is only a gimmick guy and returner. Even though he maybe our best blocking WR and our best special teams player.
EricTighe
MVP

To this draft, I am not a fan of Jackson. He has all the tools and has had them since coming out of High School. Yet he is not even considered one of the best Tackles in the Pac 12. Maybe our new offensive line coach can get him to live up to his freaky athletic ability.

Trey Adams is the second best OT in the Pac 12. He would be first if not for the best OT in all of college football and he is only a Sophmore. Penei Sewell