NFL, NFLPA pass new 11-year CBA

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The owners want a 17 game schedule. The players want to increase their share of revenues, currently approximately 46%. I imagine the tagging system of players is of interest. Possibly making marijuana a legal drug. This one could be ugly.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

if I was part of the players group, I would only agree to a 17 game schedule if they drop the bullshit Thursday night games

wonder what the real ratings/viewership is for those games? I know I generally only watch if the Bears are playing
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:31 pm if I was part of the players group, I would only agree to a 17 game schedule if they drop the bullshit Thursday night games

wonder what the real ratings/viewership is for those games? I know I generally only watch if the Bears are playing
Or get rid of a pre-season game. Hell, get rid of all of them.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would put solid money on there not being 17 games. Player safety initiatives won't allow it. It's a bargaining chip to keep something else the owners really want.

Tagging will definitely stay, but I think you could see the 5th year option dropped off. It doesn't matter if the players like it or not, it's a max of one player per team per year. You aren't going to get a union to go to the shed over something that affects less than 2 percent of it's membership.

Preseason will stay as well, along with thursday games. We all saw the quality of football that teams who didn't do squat in the preseason, like the bears, showed up with the first couple weeks. There is no minor league so players need game evaluation.

Mostly I would predict this will be about revenue split, foreign games, etc, the owners caved a little last time, I don't look for it to happen this go round, especially after the protest years costing the owners money.
UOK
Site Admin

Honestly, the preseason is trash.

Have 1, 2 at most, and let it be basically 3rd/4th/5th string fringe talents fighting for jobs and getting gametape for their agents.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:20 am Honestly, the preseason is trash.

Have 1, 2 at most, and let it be basically 3rd/4th/5th string fringe talents fighting for jobs and getting gametape for their agents.
Fully agree that the preseason is trash. But it’s point isn’t to be quality football it’s to eval players and get everyone back in the groove.

I could see a drop to two games and then a whole bunch more joint practices but the owners don’t make money off practices.
Xee
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 amPreseason will stay as well, along with thursday games. We all saw the quality of football that teams who didn't do squat in the preseason, like the bears, showed up with the first couple weeks. There is no minor league so players need game evaluation.
It's a topic to be debated, for sure but I don't think you can point to a team's preseason record and say that shows how they're going to perform in the regular season (hello 2017 Browns). I think the main factor is whether the coaches and players feel it's necessary, not us, or the NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My pitch idea would be 18 game season with:
-rosters expanded (Maybe up to 60), with no overly significant cap expansion (the cap will allow for teams to keep a few more rookies/lower tier players only)
-Only 2 preseason games played
-No more team bye weeks
-Every player (other than kicker/punter), must be inactive for 2 regular season games at each teams' prerogative.

On Edit:
A total roster of 56, with Kicker and Punter not included with the inactive formula, would work out to 6 players a week required to be inactive, so every player misses 2 games a season.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
BR0D1E86
MVP

The preseason exists for two reasons:

1- A relic of an older era when guys used the preseason to get into shape

2- Making season ticket holders buy two more games of tickets. So $$$$$

The games are largely pointless, but they're not going anywhere.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:31 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:57 amPreseason will stay as well, along with thursday games. We all saw the quality of football that teams who didn't do squat in the preseason, like the bears, showed up with the first couple weeks. There is no minor league so players need game evaluation.
It's a topic to be debated, for sure but I don't think you can point to a team's preseason record and say that shows how they're going to perform in the regular season (hello 2017 Browns). I think the main factor is whether the coaches and players feel it's necessary, not us, or the NFL.
Record has nothing to do with it. It’s player eval and getting teams on the same page.

There is no “minor league” for the nfl so they are evaluating players, on their own team and others.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I can see the players wanting at most 2 preseason games. They don't get paid for them but owners force season ticket holders to buy the tickets so this will be a hot button issue over the list revenue. The players don't want a longer season, it already is very demanding. Even though only a small number of players are tagged, it's highly unpopular. The NFL is the only league allowing owners to do this.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:18 pm I can see the players wanting at most 2 preseason games. They don't get paid for them but owners force season ticket holders to buy the tickets so this will be a hot button issue over the list revenue. The players don't want a longer season, it already is very demanding. Even though only a small number of players are tagged, it's highly unpopular. The NFL is the only league allowing owners to do this.
But you have arbitration and years of service rules in mlb.

Hard individual max salaries in NBA.

It will be interesting to say the least. I doubt players have the stomach for a lockout as much as owners so I could see 17 games with some concessions on minor stuff like marijuana.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm curious how a 17 game season would retain competitive integrity. An odd number of games will mean some teams playing more home games than others, and that is a huge advantage in sports generally and the NFL in particular. Even if all teams in a division play the same number of home games, wildcards and playoff seeding will be affected.

The only way I can understand this working is if all teams play the extra game at a neutral venue. There are already 5 games a year being played overseas, with 4 in London and another in Mexico. Other International Series Games have been held in Canada. They could expand this to grow interest in the NFL in other countries too. The NFL is really popular in Germany for example. Try out different countries and focus on those that work out best and bring in the most money. The Jaguars make more money playing at Wembley than they do in Jacksonville. Neutral venues could also be in America, with the NFL using them to try out cities for potential expansion teams in the future.

For US fans it means no-one loses one (or in the Jaguars case two next season!) of their 8 home games.

For international fans it means more opportunity to enjoy live NFL games.

For the NFL it means opportunities to grow the brand and expand into new territories.

From a player perspective, the prospect of more money will mean higher salaries. Play the neutral games during the middle 8 weeks of the season (2 a week) and it will help break up the monotony of a long season.

In return for the extra game, reduce the preseason games by at least one or possibly two, start the season a week earlier and reinstate the second bye week with one coming after the neutral venue game.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:22 pm I'm curious how a 17 game season would retain competitive integrity. An odd number of games will mean some teams playing more home games than others, and that is a huge advantage in sports generally and the NFL in particular. Even if all teams in a division play the same number of home games, wildcards and playoff seeding will be affected.

The only way I can understand this working is if all teams play the extra game at a neutral venue. There are already 5 games a year being played overseas, with 4 in London and another in Mexico. Other International Series Games have been held in Canada. They could expand this to grow interest in the NFL in other countries too. The NFL is really popular in Germany for example. Try out different countries and focus on those that work out best and bring in the most money. The Jaguars make more money playing at Wembley than they do in Jacksonville. Neutral venues could also be in America, with the NFL using them to try out cities for potential expansion teams in the future.

For US fans it means no-one loses one (or in the Jaguars case two next season!) of their 8 home games.

For international fans it means more opportunity to enjoy live NFL games.

For the NFL it means opportunities to grow the brand and expand into new territories.

From a player perspective, the prospect of more money will mean higher salaries. Play the neutral games during the middle 8 weeks of the season (2 a week) and it will help break up the monotony of a long season.

In return for the extra game, reduce the preseason games by at least one or possibly two, start the season a week earlier and reinstate the second bye week with one coming after the neutral venue game.

This right here is what is going to happen. Excellent post.
UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

Don't play with my emotions.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Players have heard on TV are for the extra playoff team, but totally against the 17th game. The 16 game season Is plenty. I know it is about a money grab, but more games, more chance for injury.

They need to do away with the Thurs night games too.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The owners have floated adding a 3rd wild card team. Also, only the top seed in each conference would get a first week bye. This might go with the players.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The owners have approved their version of the CBA and sent it to the Players Union. It includes a 17th game, an increase in players share of revenues, changes in testing for marijuana use and modifications of the penalities for violations, adding an offensive lineman to the active squad, and more. JJ Watt and Richard Sherman, team representatives to the Union, have already reviewed the proposal and pronounced it as unacceptable.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Lot of player reaction in the following article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... jh4bqzbo3h

I don't see this passing. Hell, as a big NFL fan, I don't want a 17th game. I think the 16 game schedule is great. Throwing in the extra playoff team even better.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 am Lot of player reaction in the following article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... jh4bqzbo3h

I don't see this passing. Hell, as a big NFL fan, I don't want a 17th game. I think the 16 game schedule is great. Throwing in the extra playoff team even better.
The owners could've spent 30 years working on the new CBA and the players union would reject it. Just the matter of smart negotiation (coming from someone who is admittedly a terrible negotiator himself).

More games and adding a playoff team? Not sure how I feel about that. I don't want 8-8/7-9 teams making the playoffs unless it's a freak occurrence.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It just takes 11 player reps voting no and it doesn't go to the union. From the article linked by Otis Day, there's already more than that opposing it. Looks like this proposal is DOA.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I heard a radio guy here in AZ mention his idea to do 2 pre-season games, 18 regular season games and a bump to the team roster size. The added games will offset by making a rule that players can only play in 16 games and, if healthy all season, would sit out 2 games. I kinda like it. Gives the NFL more games, more players on the roster, same amount of damage from a 16 game season and the chess match of who's sitting out this week vs. next week would be interesting to watch evolve. Fantasy Football nerds would probably have a cow though.
UOK
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:08 pm I heard a radio guy here in AZ mention his idea to do 2 pre-season games, 18 regular season games and a bump to the team roster size. The added games will offset by making a rule that players can only play in 16 games and, if healthy all season, would sit out 2 games. I kinda like it. Gives the NFL more games, more players on the roster, same amount of damage from a 16 game season and the chess match of who's sitting out this week vs. next week would be interesting to watch evolve. Fantasy Football nerds would probably have a cow though.
That's blatantly stupid. It's the more organized equivalent of when NBA teams rest their big stars during national games. Too much to keep track of, too much contractual language needs clarification, etc.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:08 pm I heard a radio guy here in AZ mention his idea to do 2 pre-season games, 18 regular season games and a bump to the team roster size. The added games will offset by making a rule that players can only play in 16 games and, if healthy all season, would sit out 2 games. I kinda like it. Gives the NFL more games, more players on the roster, same amount of damage from a 16 game season and the chess match of who's sitting out this week vs. next week would be interesting to watch evolve. Fantasy Football nerds would probably have a cow though.
Man that sounds like a logistical nightmare.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

A nightmare is right. It would be chaos for everybody except maybe Belichick. But this is what passes for prime time sports radio in Phoenix.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

nightmare?
A 4th grader with an average working knowledge of excel could manage. I think it would add an interesting strategic element to the game.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Going to 17 games isn't going to fly with the players if they're not paid fully for the extra game. The owners' proposal would have them paid a % of their per game salary for it, not the full amount.