Bears re-sign LB Danny Trevathan to 3yr extension, $14M gtd

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I agree...doesn't feel like a team friendly deal to me....
3-year deal worth $21.75M base value and a maximum of $24M. Trevathan gets $14M in guarantees
Avg per year 7.25M...seems pricey at a commodity position. And very much limits us from addressing other, far more pressing needs.
Last edited by dplank on Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BR0D1E86
MVP

It's a bit more than I was expecting, but I'd need to see how it's structured to determine how pointlessly incensed I'm going to be.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

I'm guessing like many of Pace's deals, it's heavily front-loaded in terms of guaranteed money so we can get out early.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
BR0D1E86
MVP

If true, this makes more sense...

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

14 mill guaranteed is bad.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm 14 mill guaranteed is bad.
Not necessarily if your other option is looking at an average of 10 mil per and twice that in guarantees. Which, apparently, Kwit is. With a fraction of the experience/track record that Trevathan has. Yes, I realize that Trevathan is 30 and Kwit 27. Still, though.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would suspect the first two seasons are fully guaranteed. Still more than I think he would have gotten on the open market.

If kwit is gonna get 10 per there is no way I would be on board with that either.
wab
Mod

Kwit might not be worth 10per but that doesn’t make the Danny T deal any less bad feeling.
Richie
MVP

wab wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 pm Kwit might not be worth 10per but that doesn’t make the Danny T deal any less bad feeling.
It really depends on where Trevathan's deal falls among ILB's after the free agency fallout is done with.

Right now, he's #12 among ILB's in salary. If he falls quite a bit and it's more of a league average (or a little above) ILB salary? Meh. It's not that bad.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 pm Kwit might not be worth 10per but that doesn’t make the Danny T deal any less bad feeling.
It really depends on where Trevathan's deal falls among ILB's after the free agency fallout is done with.

Right now, he's #12 among ILB's in salary. If he falls quite a bit and it's more of a league average (or a little above) ILB salary? Meh. It's not that bad.
Seems like a lot for a guy that you can probably count on missing 1/3 of the season or more every year.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

For that salary and Kwits reported market value I'd have let them both walk.

Oh well, if he manages to stay healthy it won't be a bad deal, but not how I would have allocated cap.
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:45 pm
Richie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 pm

Seems like a lot for a guy that you can probably count on missing 1/3 of the season or more every year.
Well, he played a full one in 18 and 3/4's in 17. However, I digress, as you have a good point.

Again, I just think it depends on where his contract winds-up falling among ILB's in terms of value.

I don't like the idea of having let both Danny and Kwit walk. Not before a season where you absolutely HAVE to win. That position demands a lot in terms of play calling, audibling, etc. It's a veteran/leadership sort of role. The QB of the defense, for a lack of a better word. You really have to know the D and each player's responsibility (not just your own) inside/out.

In other words, you have to know the defense itself inside and out in order to really nail it. I don't like the idea of having an unknown/UFA/rookie commanding it in such an important year.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:20 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Well, he played a full one in 18 and 3/4's in 17. However, I digress, as you have a good point.

Again, I just think it depends on where his contract winds-up falling among ILB's in terms of value.

I don't like the idea of having let both Danny and Kwit walk. Not before a season where you absolutely HAVE to win. That position demands a lot in terms of play calling, audibling, etc. It's a veteran/leadership sort of role. The QB of the defense, for a lack of a better word. You really have to know the D and each player's responsibility (not just your own) inside/out.

In other words, you have to know the defense itself inside and out in order to really nail it. I don't like the idea of having an unknown/UFA/rookie commanding it in such an important year.
It may be my ignorance, but why couldn't Roquan have stepped into that leadership role? While their play-specific responsibilities are different, I'm sure, both ILB are out there basically 100% of the time. Concerning if it's a lack of confidence in Smith as you'd want more from a top 10 pick entering year 3.
cblaz11
MVP

I think when this is all said and done DT will be ranked somewhere between 20-30 for MLB salaries. Considering his leadership, I’m good with it.

Yes, he’s gotta stay healthy...it’s worth the risk to me though.
BR0D1E86
MVP

It's not a steal of a contract, but it's not likely only a horrible one if he's missing half of every season. Hopefully he's not.
EricTighe
MVP

If he stays healthy then this is a great deal.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

8 mill per seems like a lot for Danny. Guess they figured that Roquan wouldn't be ready to call signals any time soon.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Hate the contract. I wouldn’t have paid that much. But what do I know
Z Bear
MVP

Everyone likes to call the Bears cheap....but it seems us fans are even cheaper! For years everyone says they Bears never spend money, they over pay slightly fora good team player and people says they should not have. The NFL financial landscape is going to change drastically over the next two years with a new CBA and TV deals. The agents know this!! There will be other contracts handed out to LBs that will push DT to somewhere in the middle of the pack per contract value per year. There is no way this is a bad deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 am Everyone likes to call the Bears cheap....but it seems us fans are even cheaper! For years everyone says they Bears never spend money, they over pay slightly fora good team player and people says they should not have. The NFL financial landscape is going to change drastically over the next two years with a new CBA and TV deals. The agents know this!! There will be other contracts handed out to LBs that will push DT to somewhere in the middle of the pack per contract value per year. There is no way this is a bad deal.
Yea, news flash: Good NFL players cost money to retain! Would anyone argue Danny is NOT at least a middle of the pack ILB in the NFL? I'd say he's a better than average one personally. But his comp will have him roughly middle of the pack according to pay so....good deal. I'm happy to let another team overpay Kwit's "potential", I actually hope it's the Packers cause I think they are spending a lot of bad money lately and I want them in cap hell. And I still am not convinced he's anything more than a "waterboy" style, short space thumper who's a liability elsewhere on the field.

My only issue is that maybe we could have had KPL for far less and he'd be lower tier but serviceable. And we could have applied that cash to more pressing areas elsewhere, like OL, QB, TE. But let's see what happens over the next few months settle, we have only seen the first move so far there's a lot more coming. But Danny's contract # specifically? It's fine.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm 8 mill per seems like a lot for Danny. Guess they figured that Roquan wouldn't be ready to call signals any time soon.
The logic here is just excruciating.

"I saw a rock on the ground yesterday. Later on I heard a plane crashed. I guess rocks cause plane crashes now."

:frustrated:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

$22M/$14M seems like a lot for a guy who isn't really different from the one we paid $3M/year for 3 years ago and is now missing significant injury time.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Drone7
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm 8 mill per seems like a lot for Danny. Guess they figured that Roquan wouldn't be ready to call signals any time soon.

"I saw a rock on the ground yesterday. Later on I heard a plane crashed. I guess rocks cause plane crashes now."

agree with Yogi...there is more to the Roquan story than we've been told...Danny was an expensive hedge bc of his mental traits
wab
Mod

Drone7 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am

agree with Yogi...there is more to the Roquan story than we've been told...Danny was an expensive hedge bc of his mental traits
I’m genuinely curious about this whole “mental illness” thing that you seem to be hung up on with so many players.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:47 pm
Drone7 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:02 pm

I’m genuinely curious about this whole “mental illness” thing that you seem to be hung up on with so many players.
Agree as well. It was described as a serious health scare that shoot him to his core. That could be anything and not necessarily even Roquan himself.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Actually, it's only a few players I'm "hung up on"... The ones where there is hard evidence of mental illness. I am not opposed to managing someone who has mental illness while under current contract--that's the right thing to do as the Vikings did with Griffen.

I am opposed to drafting, trading for or signing someone in FA with a serious mental illness diagnosis.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 pm I am opposed to drafting, trading for or signing someone in FA with a serious mental illness diagnosis.
Except of course that Roquan hasn't been diagnosed with one of those...other than that, solid point.
Drone7
Player of the Month

We don't know the diagnosis because Smith and the team have claimed confidentiality. It was a bizarre episode, but it's not something we can comment upon.

They have not entrusted the defense to him as many of us had hoped when drafted.
cblaz11
MVP

Seems like something someone with an ax to grind with Ryan Pace would continue to harp on...

Let’s stop playing conspiracy theorist..
dplank
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:45 pm We don't know the diagnosis because Smith and the team have claimed confidentiality. It was a bizarre episode, but it's not something we can comment upon.

They have not entrusted the defense to him as many of us had hoped when drafted.
You seem sure enough about it to say something dozens of times, quite literally every time Roquan's name comes up...what do you know that we don't?

And why have him call the defense if we already have a core locker room leader, at the same position, already doing it? Who cares? Must we force a change because people like you will otherwise say he has a "chronic or serious mental condition"? You're fixation here is just weird. Geezus.