Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think we have like 9 tight ends now.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Still going with :puke:

Hope I'm wrong...stay tuned.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Welcome to Chicago Jimmy, hope your not reading this thread. If you are.......we're really glad you chose us.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 am it does NOT effect us getting a Comp Pick
Good point. In fact the Bears are out to an early comp pick surplus:
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Of course they have quite a few holes still too (and a couple guys who could net them picks)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Something to think about:

If Graham doesn't work, assuming all his guaranteed money is in a signing bonus, you're talking next year, we could raise around 20 million against the cap by releasing Graham, Burton, and our other TEs (Shaheen would be 2 mill himself). Then next year, you're looking at a TE free agent market of: Hunter Henry (coming off a franchise tag), George Kittle, O.J. Howard, Evan Egram, and David Njoku. Just saying....
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Son of a bleep. The Raiders just signed Jason Whitten, one year, approximately $4.75M. I thought that’s what Pace would have paid for a vet TE.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:16 pm Son of a bleep. The Raiders just signed Jason Whitten, one year, approximately $4.75M. I thought that’s what Pace would have paid for a vet TE.
That seems a lot more reasonable
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:35 pm Something to think about:

If Graham doesn't work, assuming all his guaranteed money is in a signing bonus, you're talking next year, we could raise around 20 million against the cap by releasing Graham, Burton, and our other TEs (Shaheen would be 2 mill himself). Then next year, you're looking at a TE free agent market of: Hunter Henry (coming off a franchise tag), George Kittle, O.J. Howard, Evan Egram, and David Njoku. Just saying....
I hope this is the strategy. But still. It's another year.
Middleguard
MVP

There's an old story about a student who got every question wrong on a true-false test. So the teacher gave him an A. When asked why, the teacher replied, "Statistically, there's no way he could have answered every question wrong unless he actually knew what the right answer was."

I think that must be the case with Pace selecting TEs as well.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:57 pm There's an old story about a student who got every question wrong on a true-false test. So the teacher gave him an A. When asked why, the teacher replied, "Statistically, there's no way he could have answered every question wrong unless he actually knew what the right answer was."

I think that must be the case with Pace selecting TEs as well.
:clap:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:35 pm Something to think about:

Ah Yogi, this is why I like you.

Also, gives us a year to develop a mid-to-late route TE like Devin Asiasi or Coby Parkinson.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Okay, I've taken the time to settle down a bit and watch some actual tape. Man, was Graham hellacious when he was with the Saints or what. He consistently got YARDS of separation:

But then Graham ran a friggin 4.56 coming out. It's clear he doesn't run that now, but he's not exactly chopped liver. My guess is that he still runs in the 4.7s. And that's on par with all but a handful of TEs coming out this year.

He's still got his size and a bit of speed. Not what it was, but there's still something in the tank. He's not a piece of crap out there. He's still a legitimate TE even if he's not the best in the business anymore. He fell off last year from 55 to 38 catches not because of anything he did, but because the Packers went to more of a RB dump off system with their RBs getting the second and third most catches on the team (Graham got the fourth).

Yeah, we overpaid for Graham, but we did need a TE, and we got a legitimate one now. Hell, with Burton and Graham, we have a pretty good core there. Let's see how Nagy puts them to use because you know he will. And you know that Trubisky is going to appreciate the big target that Graham is.
G08
Hall of Famer

It's funny you posted that second video because that's the one I found when I was looking for his 2019 "tape". He isn't who he used to be -- and I agree with your 4.7 take -- but he's night and day better than what we have had here.

I don't love the $9M guaranteed, feel like $7.5M would have been a better number, but you release Shaheen and you're right there.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I wasn't stoked to see the signing. But he really is the best TE on the team now.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'm coming around on this. I think I was just underestimating the FA market. I'm not sure it's as much as an overpay as I initially thought. It's still a little bit of an overpay. But I can live with it.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I still think it was too much.

But he's our turd now.
Wounded Bear
MVP

As long as we're setting low bars, I hope he makes the first down signal when he makes a first down. I just love that.

We miss you, Roy Williams!
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

As I try to find the upside I can think only of these things. 1. We can drop Graham after one year easily if he doesn't work out along with Burton.
2. Perhaps Pace/Nagy feel that GB didn't use Graham correctly, and there is a case for this as GB never seems to use their TE's to much advantage.
wab
Mod

I don't think the dude is trash. He's still better than half the TEs in the NFL, and better than every one on the Bears roster. I just think the money was wrong. And it still hurts my heart that the Bears could have brought Olsen back for less.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Always been a big WR impersonating a TE. Can't block and doesn't run like he used to after his severe lower leg injury in Seattle. The money was absolutely crazy.

He's played with 3 great QBs. Now he comes to a team without a good QB...and we should expect what for the money?
wab
Mod

Well the Bears don't have a legitimate RZ target. So I'd imagine that's why he was brought in. Plus, he doesn't appear to be crazy or anything.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 am Well the Bears don't have a legitimate RZ target. So I'd imagine that's why he was brought in. Plus, he doesn't appear to be crazy or anything.
Oh, I'm certain Drone7 will find some sort of mental deficiency.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I've always liked Olsen, was pissed when he was traded, and would have loved for him to come back to Chicago. But some things to consider:

First, Olsen hasn't had a complete season since 2016. Graham, on the other hand, hasn't missed a game since 2015 and has only missed 7 games in his entire career. Incidentally, Olsen is also two years older than Graham.

Second, Olsen hit the market a month ago. The Bears were still in the market for Hooper, but the Browns quickly priced them out of it once free agent tampering hit. lol Is that what we call this period now? Once priced out, the Bears went after Graham.

Finally, Graham's catches dropped to only 38 last year. But this was in the new Packer system which emphasizes dump offs to RBs. Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams had 48 and 39 receptions respectively. That's the primary reason that Graham's receptions went from 55, 57, and 65 in his three previous seasons to only 38 last year. Incidentally, in the playoffs, Graham went back to being the second leading receiver for the Packers with 7 for 108 yards.

I also don't buy the fact that Trubisky is going to get less production from Graham than either Wilson or Rodgers did because, well, simply because they're Wilson and Rodgers. Graham is a big receiver. A really big receiver. As such, he's easy to find. I could see him quickly becoming Mitch's security blanket.

Just some thoughts....

Oh, and don't forget who beat us the first game of the season last year. ;)
wab
Mod

I also don't buy the fact that Trubisky is going to get less production from Graham than either Wilson or Rodgers did because, well, simply because they're Wilson and Rodgers. Graham is a big receiver. A really big receiver. As such, he's easy to find. I could see him quickly becoming Mitch's security blanket.
Didn't you hear? The Bears are being saved by Nick Foles. We won't even remember the name of that other guy by September.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:03 pm I’m trying to find something redeeming about this. Anything.

The only thing I can come up with, is that the Bears have a relatively young offense and Graham brings some veteran leadership? I guess?

you had to dig deep to find that possible ray of sunshine in this

I don't think this is an upgrade, which from what I understand is what free agent signings are SUPPOSED to be about
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 pm
wab wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:03 pm I’m trying to find something redeeming about this. Anything.

The only thing I can come up with, is that the Bears have a relatively young offense and Graham brings some veteran leadership? I guess?

you had to dig deep to find that possible ray of sunshine in this

I don't think this is an upgrade, which from what I understand is what free agent signings are SUPPOSED to be about
It is an upgrade, but that says more about the other 10 tight ends in the roster than Graham.
Richie
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:56 pm Okay, I've taken the time to settle down a bit and watch some actual tape. Man, was Graham hellacious when he was with the Saints or what. He consistently got YARDS of separation:

But then Graham ran a friggin 4.56 coming out. It's clear he doesn't run that now, but he's not exactly chopped liver. My guess is that he still runs in the 4.7s. And that's on par with all but a handful of TEs coming out this year.

He's still got his size and a bit of speed. Not what it was, but there's still something in the tank. He's not a piece of crap out there. He's still a legitimate TE even if he's not the best in the business anymore. He fell off last year from 55 to 38 catches not because of anything he did, but because the Packers went to more of a RB dump off system with their RBs getting the second and third most catches on the team (Graham got the fourth).

Yeah, we overpaid for Graham, but we did need a TE, and we got a legitimate one now. Hell, with Burton and Graham, we have a pretty good core there. Let's see how Nagy puts them to use because you know he will. And you know that Trubisky is going to appreciate the big target that Graham is.
It's also worth mentioning that for pretty much a half decade. The Packers have run a continuous cycle of grabbing a big name TE in free agency, the whole world goes "Oh, shit! Rodgers got a legit TE! Draft him in fantasy!" and then he underwhelms.

Jared Cook
Martellus Bennett
Jimmy Graham

Call it the system or Rodgers... but TE's just don't spit out big numbers in Green Bay. Richard Rodgers also got a lot of hype as a 3rd round draft pick earlier in the decade and became pretty hated among their fan-base.

I mean, if Graham can give us around 50 catches 550-600 yards 5 TD's and then Burton posts a decent line. Suddenly, the position group is functioning.

Graham's piss poor blocking is a concern, though.

Okay, that's about the best I can do at trying to sell this move. lol
cblaz11
MVP

I’m not a fan of the Graham signing but I’m happy that we aren’t putting our playoff hopes on Burton/Shaheen again. I have much more faith in Graham/Burton.

Also, it may not be the popular opinion, but I’m taking Graham at 8 mill vs Olsen at 7 mill and Old Balls Whitten at 5 mill.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Graham is a better U than Burton, but the money was excessive. They still need a better Y.
G08
Hall of Famer

75 seconds into this thing and I'm rewinding over and over and watching Rodgers. FML.