AND sign Robert Quinn to a 5 year $70M contract
G08
Hall of Famer

Finally! I love it!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Pace showing a lot of mettle admitting he made mistakes by releasing Floyd
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

That was a turd of a draft if I remember correctly.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm That was a turd of a draft if I remember correctly.
The next ten picks after Floyd were

Eli Apple
Vernon Hargreaves
Sheldon Rankins
Leremy Tunsil
Karl Joseph
Corey Coleman
Taylor Decker
Keanu Neal
Ryan Kelly
Shaq Lawson

Many better choices there.
IE
Hall of Famer

OK so Floyd was about to get paid 13MM. So they cut Floyd and bring in a guy with twice the production (more than), and pay him 15MM. Pace did fine, admitting it wasn't good & taking the better path.

Floyd wasn't the reason the Bears lost basically ever. So no harm; no foul. And now the D is better for 2-3 years in a "win now" mode.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm Pace showing a lot of mettle admitting he made mistakes by releasing Floyd
I think that's a very generous classification of what just happened.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm That was a turd of a draft if I remember correctly.

Eli Apple
Vernon Hargreaves
Sheldon Rankins
Leremy Tunsil
Karl Joseph
Corey Coleman
Taylor Decker
Keanu Neal
Ryan Kelly
Shaq Lawson

Many better choices may be a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe 2 players better overall, Tunsil and Kelly, and both would have gotten pace blasted for drafting them either because of overdrafting the talent level or because of issues with the pick. It could be argued that all are worse for sure.

Eli Apple - traded for almost nothing, borderline starter, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
Vernon Hargreaves - traded, part of the worst pass defense in the last couple years. of and on starter.
Sheldon Rankins = starter for 2 seasons, rotational player now.
Leremy Tunsil- good starting LT
Karl Joseph- starting safety, not super special
Corey Coleman - WR who puts up less than UDFA stats
Taylor Decker - starting tackle, part of the line that has killed stafford
Keanu Neal - 2 season stud, fell off to nothing after that and injury
Ryan Kelly - good starting c
Shaq Lawson- Low Sack Production found him a new team, backup level.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I was all over Shaq Lawson as the draft was going down until I saw Tunsil fall. He was supposed to go Top 5, when he fell to our spot, he was my choice. A poll after the draft, I voted to stay put and draft Tunsil. I think most of the people on our board voted the same way.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 pm I was all over Shaq Lawson as the draft was going down until I saw Tunsil fall. He was supposed to go Top 5, when he fell to our spot, he was my choice. A poll after the draft, I voted to stay put and draft Tunsil. I think most of the people on our board voted the same way.
His bad judgement gas mask video would have made him a controversial pick. No doubt he would have been better though.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I get that he didn't live up to expectations given his draft position.
Leonard Floyd is still a damn good football player.
docc
Head Coach

yes..a valuable piece for some team..
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 pm
BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Eli Apple
Vernon Hargreaves
Sheldon Rankins
Leremy Tunsil
Karl Joseph
Corey Coleman
Taylor Decker
Keanu Neal
Ryan Kelly
Shaq Lawson

Many better choices may be a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe 2 players better overall, Tunsil and Kelly, and both would have gotten pace blasted for drafting them either because of overdrafting the talent level or because of issues with the pick. It could be argued that all are worse for sure.

Eli Apple - traded for almost nothing, borderline starter, sometimes good, sometimes bad.
Vernon Hargreaves - traded, part of the worst pass defense in the last couple years. of and on starter.
I'd say Rankins, Tunsil, Joseph, Neal, Kelly and Lawson have all had measurably more impact than Floyd. If my team was looking at Floyd as a free agent I'd be upset if he was offered more than maybe 3-4 million on a short deal with low guarantees.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 pm

I'd say Rankins, Tunsil, Joseph, Neal, Kelly and Lawson have all had measurably more impact than Floyd.
You'd be biased and wrong.
otis
Pro Bowler

Don't forget we traded up for him. Tunsil would look really good right now.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:41 am
I'd say Rankins, Tunsil, Joseph, Neal, Kelly and Lawson have all had measurably more impact than Floyd.
Man, looking back at that first round of 2016, that's pretty brutal after the first 7 picks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NFL_Draft
I have grown to hate Leonard Floyd and am 100% glad he's gone, but there really is not a pick that I can see in the first round that you can say AT THE TIME should have been taken over Floyd. Just a complete toss up. Tunsil's gas mask thing absolutely broke everyone's brain and I'm not going to hold that against Pace.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Rankins has had injury problems, but as recently as 2018 he was considered a borderline top 10 tackle

Tunsil is a no brainier.

You could argue either way about Joseph, PFF rates them essentially the same. I think Joseph has been better, just more injury prime w.

Neal's two good years were more impressive then anything Floyd has ever done, but he hasn't done squat in a couple years so I guess if you prefer Floyd that's fine.

Kelly is a good starter, Floyd is at his very best a bottom end starter. He's more of a backup.

Shaq Lawson has basically the same number of unimpressive stats in four years, but his are increasing every year while Floyd's are decreasing. PFF also rates them about the same.

At best you could argue Floyd is on par with a couple of them, but not better.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 pm I was all over Shaq Lawson as the draft was going down until I saw Tunsil fall. He was supposed to go Top 5, when he fell to our spot, he was my choice. A poll after the draft, I voted to stay put and draft Tunsil. I think most of the people on our board voted the same way.
All over a stupid weed video, how dumb. I wanted us to take Tunsil bad. Same shit happened to Randy Moss, and I was SCREAMING for us to take him anyways. Of course, we took Curtis Enis instead. Well played Bears.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Goodbye Leonard Floyd and thanks for your work for the Chicago Bears. You seem like a good guy and I wish you well on your future endeavors.

Unfortunately, you were a Pace projection that didn't sufficiently pan out. You are the poster boy for why thin, light guys are major question marks as NFL pass rushers. Despite being a hard worker, a seemingly good citizen and a guy willing to do other things (and not badly), you just didn't have the body strength to avoid getting pushed around.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Tunsil was a no brainer at the time as well - and that is even before factoring in the Trade Up

And that the trade up made the 5th Year Option more expensive to boot
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:28 am
All over a stupid weed video, how dumb. I wanted us to take Tunsil bad. Same shit happened to Randy Moss, and I was SCREAMING for us to take him anyways. Of course, we took Curtis Enis instead. Well played Bears.
C'mon now. I smoked a more than my share of weed in my college years. But I never did it with a freaking gas mask. That was extreme and understandably cause for concern.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:20 am
Leonard Floyd is still a damn good football player.
This is a bad take
RichH55
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:05 am w team, backup level.
[/quote]

This is also a bad take.

Truth is in the middle
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 am
Rankins has had injury problems, but as recently as 2018 he was considered a borderline top 10 tackle

Tunsil is a no brainier.

You could argue either way about Joseph, PFF rates them essentially the same. I think Joseph has been better, just more injury prime w.

Neal's two good years were more impressive then anything Floyd has ever done, but he hasn't done squat in a couple years so I guess if you prefer Floyd that's fine.

Kelly is a good starter, Floyd is at his very best a bottom end starter. He's more of a backup.

Shaq Lawson has basically the same number of unimpressive stats in four years, but his are increasing every year while Floyd's are decreasing. PFF also rates them about the same.

I despise Floyd, only because of the 13 million.

He is a starter on most teams, just not good at rushing the qb.

My point was looking back at the draft there really wasn’t a nobrainer pick Pace missed there given all the facts and production. It was a turd of a draft.
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:42 am
BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 am

Tunsil is a no brainier.

I despise Floyd, only because of the 13 million.

He is a starter on most teams, just not good at rushing the qb.

My point was looking back at the draft there really wasn’t a nobrainer pick Pace missed there given all the facts and production. It was a turd of a draft.
I thought Rankins was a no brainier at the time, and I dispute that Floyd has proven anything to show he deserves to be handed a starting edge spot. I think he's at the level of a third guy in a rotation. Not terrible, but if he's your starter you're immediately looking for a replacement.
wab
Mod

Well he's gone, so your disdain for him is irrelevant.
BR0D1E86
MVP

What disdain? Is it ludicrous to assert that an edge rusher who is at best below average at getting to the quarterback and (by the numbers) is not a good cover guy isn't a lockdown starter? I think he's a rotational backup player. I think it's a pretty fair assessment.
wab
Mod

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:53 pm What disdain? Is it ludicrous to assert that an edge rusher who is at best below average at getting to the quarterback and (by the numbers) is not a good cover guy isn't a lockdown starter? I think he's a rotational backup player. I think it's a pretty fair assessment.
Apologies - when I typed it I didn't realize how dickish that sounded.
BR0D1E86
MVP

We're good, I dug in too deep on the guys drafted after him thing, didn't realize how little Neal has done the last couple years for one.