Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Per Schefter:

Nick Foles already has restructred his contract with the Bears, per source. He still has three years left, still has $21 million guaranteed left, but Foles now has the ability to void the deal after either of the first two years depending on his performance. Deal includes upside.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

So my understanding is this basically is a 3 year, $21M contract with Foles able to void the deal after either of the first two years.

I hope people realize we are saying hello to our Alex Smith...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm So my understanding is this basically is a 3 year, $21M contract with Foles able to void the deal after either of the first two years.

I hope people realize we are saying hello to our Alex Smith...
Are you interpreting that based on the Shefter tweet? Cuz it says 21M guaranteed, not 21M total. Would surprised if that was the case. Also not sure how these option/opt outs work.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't get the negativity around this. Pace finally admitted that Trubisky doesn't look like the guy, but he still has the ability to be the starter if he outplays Foles. Foles just signed a mega deal last off season, so it's not like he doesn't have upside as a starter. He also knows these coaches and system, and has playoff + SB experience under his belt. And the kicker is we got the guy for pennies on the dollar compared to what he cost last off season. We lost our 4th rd comp pick, meh.

We could not go into the season with Trubisky + Bray (or any similar sad story). We just couldn't. But I was really worried Pace was going to keep this Trubisky charade going another year - I'm really glad he didn't. Just like he didn't hang on to Floyd just because he drafted him. Sure, I'd rather he just get the picks right, but at least he isn't doubling down on them.

We can win with Foles. And if the light actually comes on for Mitch, even better! And Foles has the creds with this staff that they won't hesitate to put him in if they decide to start off with Mitch as the starter. This just feels all good to me. With our new pass rush, we're going to win a lot of games...book it!
wab
Mod

Rumors abound that the Bears are now shopping Mitch for basically whatever they can get.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:03 pm Rumors abound that the Bears are now shopping Mitch for basically whatever they can get.
I'm doing the same with my 2 Trubisky jerseys.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 pm
wab wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:03 pm Rumors abound that the Bears are now shopping Mitch for basically whatever they can get.
I'm doing the same with my 2 Trubisky jerseys.
I hear there's a TP shortage, maybe you can sell it for a gain :lol:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

That doesn't seem prudent, unless he's being a baby and is demanding a trade, which doesn't seem consistent with his past behavior. He is making $4M with a $9M cap hit, which means he'll cost us $5M in dead money if traded. That will leave us $4M to buy a backup. We'd be better off keeping Biscuit as a backup for his $9M cap number.

One of the better things about both of these guys is that they're good dudes. Shoot... Biscuit sat at NC for 3 years before he got to start as a senior. Really seems like the thing to do here is sit tight with both.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Mikefive wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:35 pm
That doesn't seem prudent, unless he's being a baby and is demanding a trade, which doesn't seem consistent with his past behavior. He is making $4M with a $9M cap hit, which means he'll cost us $5M in dead money if traded. That will leave us $4M to buy a backup. We'd be better off keeping Biscuit as a backup for his $9M cap number.

One of the better things about both of these guys is that they're good dudes. Shoot... Biscuit sat at NC for 3 years before he got to start as a senior. Really seems like the thing to do here is sit tight with both.
+1 to this
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Don't believe it. They're basically just rumors. They're going to give Trubisky another shot. And hell if he doesn't make it, they don't exercise a fifth year option. He's then a free agent we'll get compensated for once he signs with somebody else. So why would we be shopping him when we'd probably be getting more with a comp pick?

On the fourth round comp pick: Agree with DP. Not a big deal. We're going to get multiple picks between three and four. Our second second round pick is basically worth 2 threes and a four (or a three and two fours at the least). I expect we'll trade down twice in the second and pick up a second, two threes and two fours and maybe a pick next year. Incidentally, with Marcus gone, I was seeing the fourth comp pick as a drafted QB anyway. Rather have Foles than that.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the McAfee quote of the day :

"What if the Bears are all of a sudden back in the discussion to be worth a single fuck next year?"

I guess we'll see ... if the football gods smile upon us, we will get the Nick Foles that came to the rescue for the Eagles when they lost Wentz ... he doesn't have to be a superstar, just very competent so that the offense helps what is looking to be a very kickass Bears defense
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

I really like the move. I'm sorry... I do. I like this better than Dalton and most of the other options. I suppose I would have liked Carr better but it's starting to seem like that was never something Vegas was interested in.

I cannot blame Foles for underwhelming in Jacksonville. That team totally quit around the midway point of the year.

Foles bouts of success have come from within our offensive concept and our staff has familiarity with him. He can also stretch the field with a good deep ball. Which is something that we have been utterly pathetic with under Mitch.

I think you have to keep Mitch, though. As Foles has been known to get injured here and there. I also don't think Foles is named the starter. I think this is going to be billed as a "camp competition".

Foles failed in attempts to try and turn poor teams around on his own (STL and JAX). However, he does have sneaky upside in a favorable system (which I think this clearly is his best fit) where there's some pieces in place around him.

We obviously have to address O-line here in the draft.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 pm I don't get the negativity around this.
Yeah, I mean, I don't LOVE Foles but I am rather puzzled. There really was not a single option at QB that didn't have a downside. None were perfect. Brady/Rivers = Old as dirt. Dalton = Has never won anything. Jameis = Never won/turnover machine... etc.

Again, it doesn't seem like Carr was ever actually on the block either. So, you can cross that off. We don't have a first round pick. So, you can cross off finding somebody we're in love with via the draft.

Foles is a professional QB with a track record of success within this style of offense. Who has stepped up in big spots and has the ability to make this offense functional. Which, when paired with this defense - could win a lot of games.

I don't know exactly what people wanted.
wab
Mod

I’ve spent most of the day processing the Foles thing. And I guess... I just hate his big stupid face.

I hope he wins, but I’m not gonna like him.

Seems like a super nice guy though.
Funkster
MVP

I used to have faith in Pace, was on the fence with Nagy after last season, now that is in question with the Foles signing.

Foles is without a doubt the day 1 starter, there will be no competition. You don’t give up your only 4th round draft pick and take on a contract with $21MG with a $15.62M cap hit in 2020 and not crown him your starter.

With that said, over the last 3 years Foles has played in 16 regular season games, he's thrown 15 tds and 8 ints over that span. He's never played an entire season...ever. He started 4 games for the jags and went 0-4 in those games. He couldn't beat out a rookie and the jags ate 19M to get rid of him.

He’s never latch onto a team, he’s played for the:
Jags -19’
Eagles - 18’-17’
KC - 16’
Rams - 15’-16’

There are red flags all over that dude but yet the bears bent over and took it with no lube from the jags. Fools gold Foles is his name and ripping off teams is his game!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
docc
Head Coach

I watched Nick here in Tucson at U of A where he was impressive..*edit )then short time starter and SB MVP...not so much since. I really think Mitch might have a better ceiling..but WHEN ?

So we'll see if St Nick can preform a miracle..
He's the anti-McMahon... :evilgrin:
Last edited by docc on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richie
MVP

Funkster wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 am I used to have faith in Pace, was on the fence with Nagy after last season, now that is in question with the Foles signing.

Foles is without a doubt the day 1 starter, there will be no competition. You don’t give up your only 4th round draft pick and take on a contract with $21MG with a $15.62M cap hit in 2020 and not crown him your starter.

With that said, over the last 3 years Foles has played in 16 regular season games, he's thrown 15 tds and 8 ints over that span. He's never played an entire season...ever. He started 4 games for the jags and went 0-4 in those games. He couldn't beat out a rookie and the jags ate 19M to get rid of him.

He’s never latch onto a team, he’s played for the:
Jags -19’
Eagles - 18’-17’
KC - 16’
Rams - 15’-16’

There are red flags all over that dude but yet the bears bent over and took it with no lube from the jags. Fools gold Foles is his name and ripping off teams is his game!
Well, Foles wound up in Jacksonville on that deal ONLY due to the incredible heights he reached in Philly in 17 and 18 when called upon. Philly was always sticking with Wentz.

Again, Jacksonville is such a mess and that team totally quit halfway through last season. I don't know how I could possibly blame him. Of course they went with the rookie when the season was lost and now into a rebuild. Outside of that mess, Foles is 26-18 in his career. So, I'm inclined to say that his poor production and the 0-4 mark wasn't all on him.

Out of the realistic options... Winston, Dalton, Mariota, etc. Who exactly didn't have downside or red flags? Again, I just don't know what people wanted here.

ANYBODY that we signed... you could easily make this kind of a post and bash them for their shortcomings. Even with Brady/Rivers you could bash them for being old as dirt. These guys are ALL available for a reason. There was no perfect candidate.
You don’t give up your only 4th round draft pick and take on a contract with $21MG with a $15.62M cap hit in 2020 and not crown him your starter.
Is a 4th round comp pick supposed to be big in terms of compensation? Is a 15 mil cap hit supposed to be big for a QB? This is a world where Teddy Bridgewater gets over 20 mil per.

Acting like Jacksonville somehow fleeced us is some serious melodrama.
Richie
MVP

docc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 am I watched Nick here in Tucson at U of A where he was impressive..not so much since.
Personally, I was pretty impressed when he won Super Bowl MVP. ;)
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yeah, the entire playoff run was fairly impressive.

Beating the Pats with their foot on the pedal the entire game was even more impressive.

Foles is a system QB. And this is the system he does well in.

Meanwhile, Mitch was having problems with basic RPO reads in the middle of the season of his second year, while overthrowing wide open receivers by 10 yards during key parts of the game.

If we didn't bring in Foles, how long would it be before the Soldier Field boo-birds make their presence known? My guess is he doesn't make it through the first half of the 1st game of the year.

I'll take my chances with Foles, Nagy, and DeFilippo.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:08 am I’ve spent most of the day processing the Foles thing. And I guess... I just hate his big stupid face.

I hope he wins, but I’m not gonna like him.

Seems like a super nice guy though.
Thanks for providing the Mrs. and I a needed chuckle this morning. :D
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Foles >Trubisky

So yeah positive move on surface. I think time has healed some of you alls wounds.
spudbear
MVP

First off, glad it's not Newton. Dalton and Teddy were too expensive. Nearly everyone wanted a vet backup to either push Mitch or take over the reins, and Foles is they guy now at a decent price. The Bears still have one more relatively "cheap" season at QB before deciding on either paying Mitch or finding someone else.

While many are wringing their hands over this, let's keep some perspective. It's a Bears QB situation - when is the curse going to end? Mahomes and Watson are gone, so we'll have to see what is in the future.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I have such mixed feelings about Foles that I'm watching the numbers and praying that a 10-6 season in 2020 doesn't trick Pace into thinking he found his guy.
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

Essentially the Bears traded Adrian Amos for Nick Foles. Not a bad deal altogether. His contract isn't great, but it's certainly not crippling.

Personality wise, he's ideal. No stranger to being a backup, familiar and successful within the system, experience with the coaches, and is the ultimate "prove it" guy for Trubisky.

If Trubisky is even on the roster, which I'm guessing he won't be.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I dont think we're getting rid of Mitch, but I do firmly believe that Foles was told the job is his. The more I think about it, I just dont think he leaves a backup job in a state with no income tax to come to a team in a different state where he'd effectively make less money to be a backup.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 am I dont think we're getting rid of Mitch, but I do firmly believe that Foles was told the job is his. The more I think about it, I just dont think he leaves a backup job in a state with no income tax to come to a team in a different state where he'd effectively make less money to be a backup.
Unless he thinks he will win outright and then he can opt out of his contract for bankroll again, like in philly.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 am I dont think we're getting rid of Mitch, but I do firmly believe that Foles was told the job is his. The more I think about it, I just dont think he leaves a backup job in a state with no income tax to come to a team in a different state where he'd effectively make less money to be a backup.
If he already declared residency in Florida when he moved here to play for Jax, he doesn't have to change his residency just because he plays for the Bears. He's established his Florida residency so he's good, I don't see that as a factor. He also got most of that money from Jacksonville already, we're on the hook for what's left.

Also, he was traded, so not sure how much choice he had in the matter. He had to agree to a restructure to finish the deal, so I suppose he had some small say and could have basically blocked it if he wanted to be a dick. I don't see how that benefits him though.

And last point, even if he had some small say in it, I bet he sees a better chance to play in Chicago than Jacksonville since they already made their decision to play Minshew. But Chicago is clearly looking for an alternative to Mitch.

So overall, I don't think he's been promised anything other than a chance to compete.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Foles is now a Bears QB. Chance of success = 50% or less. It is just the way it is, because........Bears. :angry: