Movies on Netflix

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14903
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Movies on Netflix

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:31 pm

figured now would be a good time for us to share movie reviews

here are 3 that I watched recently that I enjoyed and give a solid thumbs up to :

68 Kill - thriller/drama with a spin or 2 of weird ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5189894/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Traitor - Don Cheadle in a twisted spy thriller ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988047/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Polar - betrayed hitman who gets some serious payback ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4139588/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Amazon Prime - watching The Hunters. Have one more episode to go. I am a little disappointed in the sound. When Pacino speaks, it comes across as muffled and at time we can't make out what he is saying. Turned the bass down all the way, no help. Tried thru the TV, no better.

Finished season 3 of 13 Reasons Why. Not as good as season 1.

I need to rewatch The Revenant and Hateful 8. Those 2 will take up a day right there.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20772
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:35 pm

I just watched Spence Confidential. It was really good.

I also enjoyed Six Underground.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:03 pm

I watched the first season of Locke and Key with my 14 year old. It was surprisingly good and we burned through the season in 2 days.
Image
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Spenser Confidential was good. Big Marky Mark fan. Dude has just blown up over the year. I am a big fan of Shooter. I think I have watched that 20+ times. Whenever it is on and I am flipping channels, I gotta stop.

Deepwater Horizon was about my wife's 2nd cousin's husband (and the tragedy of course). The husband was a consultant for the movie and he and his wife (the cousin) got to spend time with Wahlburg and Kate Hudson). The cousin said Hudson was a bitch.
User avatar
Xee
Site Admin
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm

southdakbearfan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm
Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
By original I take it you mean the Kirk and Spock version? Just asking because there's been so many. haha

As another sci-fi fan, I'm into the second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome show. Also highly recommend The Expanse on Amazon if you have it. That show just has amazing writing.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20772
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 pm

Xee wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm
southdakbearfan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm
Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
By original I take it you mean the Kirk and Spock version? Just asking because there's been so many. haha

As another sci-fi fan, I'm into the second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome show. Also highly recommend The Expanse on Amazon if you have it. That show just has amazing writing.
Very much enjoyed The Expanse. I had a hard time getting into Altered Carbon.

I’ve gone back and started watching Firefly again too.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm

wab wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 pm
Xee wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm


By original I take it you mean the Kirk and Spock version? Just asking because there's been so many. haha

As another sci-fi fan, I'm into the second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome show. Also highly recommend The Expanse on Amazon if you have it. That show just has amazing writing.
Very much enjoyed The Expanse. I had a hard time getting into Altered Carbon.

I’ve gone back and started watching Firefly again too.
Was just hitting firefly again myself.
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

CBS All Access has a first month free deal going. Enough time to binge watch Picard and cancel before the first bill.
Image
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14903
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Movies on Netflix

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

a mind blowing fact the show presented - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild over the rest of the earth ... and if the characters in this show are a true representation, it is kind of sad that those keeping them don't really seem to have the tigers as their priority
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
Wounded Bear
Assistant Coach
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Boris13c wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

a mind blowing fact the show presented - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild over the rest of the earth ... and if the characters in this show are a true representation, it is kind of sad that those keeping them don't really seem to have the tigers as their priority
If you like Tiger King, then you will probably also like, Don’t F*ck With Cats.. Just as bizarre documentary about how a bunch of Internet folk witness a guy killing a couple of kittens on Facebook. They try to hunt him down and it gets to be super bizarre. Many twists and turns.

Also,Molly’s Game about Olympic Skier Molly Bloom who after her skiing career hosts high stakes poker games and gets busted by the FBI (and no that is not a spoiler, that happens at the beginning of the movie).
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14903
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Movies on Netflix

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Wounded Bear wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm
Boris13c wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

a mind blowing fact the show presented - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild over the rest of the earth ... and if the characters in this show are a true representation, it is kind of sad that those keeping them don't really seem to have the tigers as their priority
If you like Tiger King, then you will probably also like, Don’t F*ck With Cats.. Just as bizarre documentary about how a bunch of Internet folk witness a guy killing a couple of kittens on Facebook. They try to hunt him down and it gets to be super bizarre. Many twists and turns.

Also,Molly’s Game about Olympic Skier Molly Bloom who after her skiing career hosts high stakes poker games and gets busted by the FBI (and no that is not a spoiler, that happens at the beginning of the movie).
I didn't necessarily like Tiger King ... was kind of like watching a gruesome accident where you don't necessarily want to watch but can't stop

Molly's Game was excellent
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
wulfy
Journeyman
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:38 am

I’ve just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix .... really good, but make sure the kids are in bed before watching.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21227
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 am

wulfy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:38 am
I’ve just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix .... really good, but make sure the kids are in bed before watching.
Mindhunter's awesome. Here's what else we've been watching:
  • Fixer Upper (Hulu) - it's a tacky formulaic show, but my wife and I are suckers for anything involving house renovations
  • I Am A Killer (Netflix) - actual murderers tell their stories and the filmmakers talk to the impacted families
  • What's My Line (Prime Video) - there's several collections of old timey game shows from the 1950's/60's on Amazon Prime Video and while we don't recognize too many of the celebrities, the show is still a fun watch even today
  • Hamilton (Disney+) - we love Hamilton
  • Holy Hell (Netflix) - 2016 documentary on a weird California cult that goes to all of the obvious extremes
  • Alone (Netflix) - I eat drink and sleep any survival in the wild shows, and while Netflix only has season 6, the show is awesome, and I want more
  • The Patriot (Netflix) - You can't go wrong with Mel Gibson killing redcoats with a tomahawk
  • Watchmen (HBO NOW) - It's super, super fucking weird how this show was maybe a year ahead of schedule on current events, but the story is absolutely phenomenal, and that's coming from somebody who is super jaded/bored of superhero schlock
  • House of Cards (Netflix) - It sucks to watch knowing that Kevin Spacey's a fucking creep and that the final season is janky because of that, but for a few seasons it was damn good television
  • Paranormal Activity (Netflix) - It was genuinely pretty scary to watch in theaters, but the years have not been kind to it
  • Jeopardy (Netflix) - I mean c'mon, it's Jeopardy
  • Supermarket Sweep (Netflix) - it's wonderfully embarrassing to see the fashion and products from the era, plus the show is just fucking absurd
  • American Horror Story (Netflix) - My wife loves this shit, but I think it's terrible
There's more, but I can't remember.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am

If you like Fixer Upper ( I generally liked season 1, but it just got old to me after that. Same snarkyness, same shiplap, same trestle table in every effin house. likeable peeps though), I think you may like Good Bones and Home Town. Home Town is going the same way Fixer Upper did for me, it is getting old. Good Bones, mother, daughter duo in Indianapolis, redo some shitty homes and do not make the bank most other remodelers make on their shows. Just down home, Midwest people.

Been watching Bitchin Rides, Texas Medal and Iron Resurrection. All car shows. If only I had the money to have these peeps redo a car for me.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21227
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 am

Otis Day wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am
If you like Fixer Upper ( I generally liked season 1, but it just got old to me after that. Same snarkyness, same shiplap, same trestle table in every effin house. likeable peeps though), I think you may like Good Bones and Home Town. Home Town is going the same way Fixer Upper did for me, it is getting old. Good Bones, mother, daughter duo in Indianapolis, redo some shitty homes and do not make the bank most other remodelers make on their shows. Just down home, Midwest people.

Been watching Bitchin Rides, Texas Medal and Iron Resurrection. All car shows. If only I had the money to have these peeps redo a car for me.
Wife and I made a bingo sheet for when we watch Fixer Upper. Shiplap is the FREE spot, since it's essentially guaranteed. I'll check out those suggestions!
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20772
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:51 pm

My watch list is all over the place.

Alone - I'm with UOK, this show is incredible.

Love on the Spectrum (Netflix) - Super sweet and sometimes painfully awkward to watch, it's about people on various ends of the autism spectrum trying to figure out how to be in relationships.

Into the Badlands (Netflix) - Older show, but cool post-apocalyptic samurai stuff.

Warrior Nun (Netflix) - Extra cheesy series about a rando lady who gets super powers from an angel.

Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Hard to follow, but excellent series about alternate realities based on alternate outcomes of WW2

Cursed (Netflix) - Sort of a Knights of the Round Table origin series from the perspective of a girl with witch-y powers.

Down to Earth with Zac Effron (Netflix) - This is legitimately good and really makes you think a lot.

The Witcher (Netflix) - Just ok, I was excited about this and was pretty underwhelmed.

Waco (Netflix) - Living close to Waco, this was kind of a must watch.

Hunters (Prime) - Weird show about a rouge gang of people who hunt escaped Nazis in the 70's.

Carnival Row (Prime) - Fantasy show about a detective (kind of) who helps mystical creatures who have been cast out by society.

Mindhunter is awesome too. There's a lot of upcoming things I'm looking forward to:
Season 4 of Stranger Things
Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy
Transformers: War for Cybertron trilogy

As far as movies go, I'm pretty much a sucker for 80's and early 90's action movies. We've also been revisiting some movie series' like Divergent, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, The Matrix, stuff like that. I'm also trying to work my way through all the Marvel movies in their timeline order...I haven't made it very far though.

We've watched some ok streaming originals. Extraction (Netflix), My Spy (Prime), The Old Guard (Netflix), 6 Underground (Netflix), Spencer Confidential (Netflix), Palm Beach (Hulu)...

I'm sure there's a ton I'm missing.
User avatar
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Well I did it i just finished Star Trek Enterprise, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. Every episode. I suppose I should try to find Picard and give that a shot.
Image
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Rockbear99 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Well I did it i just finished Star Trek Enterprise, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. Every episode. I suppose I should try to find Picard and give that a shot.
Likewise.

Started watching Mars now.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5618
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Down to Earth with Zac Effron (Netflix) - This is legitimately good and really makes you think a lot.
I agree wab and I only saw the first episode. Opens up a lot of questions.
User avatar
Atkins&Rebel
MVP
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm

Pretty sure Alone seasons 1-2 are on Prime
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 21227
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Movies on Netflix

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:55 am

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm
Pretty sure Alone seasons 1-2 are on Prime
I'll check. Last I saw they were rent-only.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Otis Day wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm
Down to Earth with Zac Effron (Netflix) - This is legitimately good and really makes you think a lot.
I agree wab and I only saw the first episode. Opens up a lot of questions.
I watched this first episode with my 14 year old. I had to bite my lip about how baked Zac and his buddy were through out the entire show.
Image
User avatar
AZ_Bearfan
Assistant Coach
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm

For those that enjoy sci-fi shows and haven't seen The Expanse on Amazon Prime yet, I highly recommend it.
Image
User avatar
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Movies on Netflix

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Starting to like the Canadian TV shows. Last year I got hooked on Corner Gas. Now I am really liking Republic of Doyle
Image

Return to “The BFO Lounge”