Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:35 pm Also, if in Florida, the property tax in Florida is a lot less for in state residents.

Now this I can say isn't true. You can homestead here, but that just drops 50K off the state appraised valuation, which they use to determine your property tax. I'm a resident, and I pay...literally, no exaggeration...more than 5x what I paid in Maryland (which is a heavy tax state).

I know this is way off subject at this point...but....the power, water, and insurance here are brutally expensive as well. My home insurance is closer to 7x what it was in Maryland. On the whole, I pay more state taxes here in Florida then I did in Maryland, by a hair. And I just moved here a year and a half ago, so it's not dated information.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

My brother has a home and a condo in Orlando for investment purposes, and he tells me that he could have saved about half his property taxes if he'd been an instate resident. The biggest reason I guess is that residents' assessed value for property taxes is limited to 3% a year, whereas nonresidents aren't limited at all. So I guess it wouldn't matter if your property isn't appreciating. ;)
Wounded Bear
MVP

Well it's everything we thought about Mitch
  • He can't process what's going on when the ball is snapped
  • He locks onto his first read
  • He can't throw to his left
  • He doesn't have a touch on his deep ball
And Foles:
  • Has great touch on his deep ball
  • Is throwing to his 3rd read in his progression
  • Stands in the pocket and takes the hit
And I wonder how Mitch could possible start ahead of this guy in an Andy Reid Offense.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Foles is a great backup and he may very well end up starting, there are definitely things that he can do right now that Mitch certainly wasn't doing well last year. But there is a lot Mitch can do that Foles cannot as well.

Anyone thinking he is going to light it up for a full season simply hasn't watched him play or look at his stats. He has thrown for over 13 touchdowns exactly 1 time in 8 seasons, 1.

He has averaged 7 starts a season, either due to injury or he was beaten out for the starter position. He was unseated by a 5th round rookie who is pretty average.

His Y/G average is actually less than Mitch.

Their TD and Int percents are very close.

He has broken his collarbone twice so how much RPO will the offense have in it?

He has about zero potential to develop into anything other than what he is, a very good backup.
Drone7
Player of the Month

So I guess you expect us to believe Trubisky could have replicated Foles' playoff wins over ATL and his bombings of a good Vikings' D and the Pats in the SB?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 pm So I guess you expect us to believe Trubisky could have replicated Foles' playoff wins over ATL and his bombings of a good Vikings' D and the Pats in the SB?
Nope, I expect people to realize foles got on a few game hot streak and that over the course of his entire career he has never sustained success. More than one "backup" level qb has won a superbowl.

There's a reason he is 8 seasons deep in his career and averages about 1,400 yds per season.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Good...I was wondering if you were crazy.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 pm Good...I was wondering if you were crazy.
I expect nothing less from you.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

A couple throws to Demetrius Harris in this.
EricTighe
MVP

This sucks so bad right now.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I still want to draft Jalen Hurts.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:15 am I still want to draft Jalen Hurts.
Absolutely
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Drone was still pimping Joe Flacco like 3 years after that was a even decent take - so Foles should seem like a Norse God
Richie
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:49 pm Foles is a great backup and he may very well end up starting, there are definitely things that he can do right now that Mitch certainly wasn't doing well last year. But there is a lot Mitch can do that Foles cannot as well.

Anyone thinking he is going to light it up for a full season simply hasn't watched him play or look at his stats. He has thrown for over 13 touchdowns exactly 1 time in 8 seasons, 1.

He has averaged 7 starts a season, either due to injury or he was beaten out for the starter position. He was unseated by a 5th round rookie who is pretty average.

He has broken his collarbone twice so how much RPO will the offense have in it?

He has about zero potential to develop into anything other than what he is, a very good backup.
Foles 2013 was probably one of the greatest QB seasons of this century. So, he can absolutely play at a high level for a full season.

Outside of running - I don't know what Mitch can do that Foles can't. Throwing the ball? Anything Mitch can do Nick can do better.

Y/G isn't a very good statistic. If you throw the ball more that's a huge advantage in Y/G. Foles Y/A is 7.0 to Mitch's 6.7.

Foles: 4.2/2.1

Trub: 3.8/2.3

It's "close" but it's not close enough to disregard either.

Foles has had two poor seasons and they came in absolute death traps with a Jacksonville team that had totally quit. Then, Jeff Fisher's Rams.

The rest of his body of work is very good.

PHI/KC numbers:

22-11 Record 94 Rating 63% CMP 61 TD's (5.0%) 23 INT's (1.8%) 7.3 Y/A 11.6 Y/C

Foles could not turn around two poor offense's on his own. However, when the team around Foles has been at least decent? He plays well.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

Foles is a 'system quarterback'. He can perform really well in a system that suits him but will be a big disappointment in a system that doesn't. Fortunately, his system is Nagy's system, so there's reason for optimism that we'll see the good Foles here.
not only Nagy's system, but with the 2 guys who worked with him when he had his most success - Bill Lazor, Foles' QBs coach in 2013 season; and John DeFilippo, Foles' QBs coach in 2017 ... both of those seasons were some of Foles best days

so it would appear the situation is ideal for Foles to succeed and there is ample reason for optimism
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am
dplank wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:57 am I think I've settled on this thought as my overriding opinion on Nick Foles to the Bears...

not only Nagy's system, but with the 2 guys who worked with him when he had his most success - Bill Lazor, Foles' QBs coach in 2013 season; and John DeFilippo, Foles' QBs coach in 2017 ... both of those seasons were some of Foles best days

so it would appear the situation is ideal for Foles to succeed and there is ample reason for optimism

These are pretty fair posts on the upside potential
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

With the hires to the offensive staff, I'm thinking they were going for Foles all along.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yep - the fit is really good, and given Fole's history of shining when the spotlight gets hottest... that is encouraging.

And great point, Az.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Shameless Nick Foles plug video (made by Philly fans from May 2018).
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Final contract details are in....

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

So does that mean his true cap hit is about 8 million per year before any incentives?
G08
Hall of Famer

Not only that... This dude is made to "come in in relief" of the starter. He's the perfect hedge at QB. Perfect.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:17 am Final contract details are in....

For all those claiming that Foles is the starter because the Bears are paying him starter money, if I'm reading this right, this sounds like a backup contract. 24 mill guaranteed over three years with 8 mill per plus incentives? That's backup money. High backup, but backup. Sounds like he can void and collect the whole guarantee if he meets certain incentives (probably becomes the starter).

Of course, this isn't what Sportstrac has at all. They have him at 15.6, 20.6, and 20.7. OTC has the same. I wonder who's right?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think the key there is the $24 over 3 years (If I read it right)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Sounds like they just got the contract details so the original 15 million is incorrect. I think they were going off his jags original deal or incomplete info.

8 per plus incentives is the report. OTC nor SpotRac have it updated yet.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Between the incentives and the player option this one might take a little time to sort through the cap implications of.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Time will tell, but a couple articles made it sound like the incentives are guaranteed escalators for the following seasons salary. I.e. he does well his salary could jump to 14 million next season. There is also the foles out option so he could choose to hit the market. I haven’t heard if he exercises his out option what happens to the guaranteed salary, I would assume as a condition of the out clause it is nullified or there is a minimal payment.

Anyway it would appear they have 8 mill and change in cap space for 20 depending on the value of the Ifedi deal from what I read.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If Rappoport is correct over OTC and Sportstrac, that's actually a great deal for the Bears. My guess is that the contract is voidable based on Foles based on Foles becoming the starter, like maybe more than half the games starting including the end of season games. Something like that. That 24 mill guarantee would accelerate making the 2020 money really good starter money (24 mill). If he doesn't start enough to qualify for voiding the deal but he does start some, those incentives increase his next year's salary, making for a very good backup QB contract.

It's a win/win contract for everybody involved. It also gives us an extra 7.5 mill in cap space this year, bringing us to 9 mill from 1.5. I see a couple of other signings in the future.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:34 pm Time will tell, but a couple articles made it sound like the incentives are guaranteed escalators for the following seasons salary. I.e. he does well his salary could jump to 14 million next season. There is also the foles out option so he could choose to hit the market. I haven’t heard if he exercises his out option what happens to the guaranteed salary, I would assume as a condition of the out clause it is nullified or there is a minimal payment.

Anyway it would appear they have 8 mill and change in cap space for 20 depending on the value of the Ifedi deal from what I read.
No that's guaranteed money. There's no way that Foles would agree to have it nullified. My guess is that his ability to void basically rests on his ability to win the starting job. At voiding, the entire 24 million would become due, making his 2020 salary 24 million. Same if he wins the job next year. That's starting QB pay. If he doesn't reach the incentive to void, he still carries over incentives made (probably starts as a backup).

Anybody who looks at this contract and thinks we're trading Trubisky or that they want Foles to win the starting job is fooling themselves. It's clear from Foles' contract that they're giving Mitch an in to win the job.