Prediction time!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

It's the offseason, right? We just got Nick Foles to add some legitimate drama to our QB situation.

Post your prediction about how the QB position will play out this year. Add as much detail and intrigue as you care to. Feel free to debate why certain predictions will or won't, can or can't happen.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Mitch is not the backup.

Foles is the starter.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

So much negativity in the world so let's be positive for this one post!

Trubisky wins the competition in camp this year. Foles becomes the mentor Mitch has always needed and Deflippio lives up to the hype and breaks through with Mitch. Mitch goes on to pass for 4500 yards, 31 TD, 7int and rushes for another 500 yards and 3 scores. Wins NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP as the Bears defeat the Chiefs 24-10.

Ah that felt nice. Now back to our regularly scheduled fears of that which shall not be named
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I think it’s 50/50 on who starts. Hope is it pushes Mitch to grow and improve.

If Foles starts the season as starter it’s pretty much a guarantee he will get injured at some point to miss significant time.

Mitch has also been dinged but not missed more than a couple games and he is tougher.

Probably need them both and we probably have the best backup in the nfl either way if we are looking for positives.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Foles wins the faux QB competition. His play is as avg as avg can get in the first 4 games before he suffers a season ending knee injury.

10 comes in and does 10 things - misses wide open guys 20 yds down field, checks down too often and doesn't take the open field to run. Nagy, after 6 games of this, gets pissed, pulls 10 and throws Bray into action.

Bray lights it up the last 6 games. He has 13 tuddys and 2 ints. Chicago finds a new savior. The team misses the playoffs, again, but the team attaches itself to another backup QB.
wab
Mod

I think Pace and Nagy know that it's playoffs or bust this year, and Mitch shattered their confidence.

I don't think Mitch is on the roster in September. The Bears will trot Foles out there and draft someone early.

Regardless of the fact that he HAS done it, I don't think Foles is a championship caliber QB. Outside of catching lightning in a bottle for a handful of games, he's been mostly garbage for the entirety of his career and has never played a full season.

Having said that, the Bears have at least positioned themselves to win 10ish games.

Bears go 10-6 with Foles/Rookie and get bounced in the wildcard round.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Bears try their best to prop up Mitch, who begins the season as the starter. But just 2 games in the make the switch and never look back. Foles plays well enough to ride an outstanding Bears defense to 10 wins and a playoff berth. We make some noise in the playoffs but lose in the NFC championship game.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm posting this before I see any others or listen to anything available from the Bears.

To start, I'm going to be optimistic and pre-suppose a few things outside of the QB position.

1. Either with a FA or R2 pick, we'll address the RG position acceptably well.
2. We'll address either the SS or CB position similarly.
3. We won't further address other position in any significant upgrady way.
4. Our defense will be better than it was in 2019, approaching 2018.
5. Our OL has to be somewhat better (at RG certainly) than 2019.

Pace and Nagy will make it clear that this is a competition--unlike years past. But at the same time, they'll say that it's Biscuit's job to lose. He's the current starter. I think Mitch will handle the introduction of Foles into the mix professionally. We will hear hints of annoyance in his voice in response to pointed questions. But that's it. Foles will handle everything like a seasoned professional.

Because of 10's offseason shoulder surgery, Foles runs with the 1's all summer long. That's obvious. Reporters will note that Foles looks good.

When TC starts, Mitch comes out with the 1's with most of the reps. However, once the preseason games arrive, Mitch starts game 1 and they'll alternate starts. A QB controversy ensues.

Out of loyalty, Mitch starts the first regular season game. But by game 5, Foles is handed the job. Mitch's annoyance will be evident, although he continues to be a soldier. However, by game 12, Foles gets injured. Mitch steps back in and having benefitted from tape review with a professional NFL QB, actually looks marginally better and gives the team a bit of a lift right away with his running ability being reintroduced into the offense. But his reading of defenses is still not where it needs to be.

Bears strong defense leads them to a wild card playoff spot. Offense is hit and miss with both QBs as running game is better than last year, but still inconsistent, which lends the same to the passing game. If Foles is healthy, he starts the playoff game because he is more trustworthy to the coaching staff. In the end, Bears win one playoff game.

In the offseason, Foles voids his contract, immediately re-signs with the Bears and the team let's Biscuit go instead of signing his 5th year option. Some fans see Mitch's continued upward trajectory and lament letting him go.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Drone7
Player of the Month

Interesting thing about Trubisky is that he plays better later in the season. He struggles early; especially if he doesn't play much in preseason. So IF they were to surprise me and keep him as the starter, they should play him a lot in preseason to both assess him and get the rust off, so he has a better chance at early season success with a short leash.

But that's not what I would do. I have never bought into the Myth that Trubisky is Uber-talented. He's a good runner, average passer and below average field general. This is a guy that lost a college competition 2 years in a row to a Canadian League backup, XFL(?) refugee. And if a fair competion were held, he would also fold to Foles. So I would simply play the better QB--Nick Foles--so the team doesn't put itself in an early season hole. Foles is a better downfield passer, but he can be streaky, so there will be games they have to adjust to how he's doing that day. I think they will have more success with in-breaking routes and he will be better at finding options 3-4 in the passing game. Not the runner Trubisky is, but not a bad athlete.

Of course, Pace also has more work to do just to get them into playoff contention shape. A few more cheap patchwork signings. And he must abandon his penchant for projects in high rounds, taking 2 ready to contribute players in round 2.

D should be good again, with a better pass rush; weaker secondary. They simply MUST run the ball better with either QB. The Bears still have the weakest QB room in the division--so the QBs need help with a more serious attempt to get the ground game going. Nagy's play calling concerns--he has struggled too many games--but some of that was due to Mitchell's incompetence putting them in worse down and distance situations. On the positive side, their game-planning should be much better with NFL experienced coaches added to the mix. I hope they can also influence Nagy's play mix.

Before they added Foles, I had very little confidence in playoff contention. Now they have me interested again.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Foles is the starting QB.

They were all over the place desperately trying to find a decent QB to replace Mitch talking to 3 or 4 high profile prospects. No doubt in my mind Mitch is done.

Everybody knows he wouldn't last half a game before the entire crowd was trying to boo him off the field. It's inevitable, Foles is the QB.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Drone7
Player of the Month

Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:17 pm Foles is the starting QB.

They were all over the place desperately trying to find a decent QB to replace Mitch talking to 3 or 4 high profile prospects. No doubt in my mind Mitch is done.

Everybody knows he wouldn't last half a game before the entire crowd was trying to boo him off the field. It's inevitable, Foles is the QB.
Agree, but we're not calling the shots. I am hopeful they are moving on, but let's see what they say.

What's your opinion on Pace? I know many here want to keep giving this guy chances because he remains the GM, but I don't believe he knows much about how to evaluate O so they need to replace him. He does know how to assemble a defense, so it's a good time to build on what he put in place next offseason if they "underachieve". They may need someone in there with a different skill set.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

CB: Xavier Rhodes signed to an incentive laden contract but basically a 2 year with out after one.

RG: We sign Evan Boehm to a short term deal for less than $2m. (He lived around the corner when he was on Cardinals. Didn't know who he was but ran into him walking the dog, started talking football with me and I realized it then. Just a good guy who I want).

Draft: We trade down from 43. I think the reason we went vet heavy is we're going to move down to get extra picks and hope that we get one or two gems so that next year when we have all our picks we don't have many of the same holes. We grab a blocking TE late because our two 6th highest paid TEs don't. We address safety here since that's Pace's sweet spot and he goes Winfield Jr at 50. We take Bryce Perkins as developmental QB round 5.

Mitch starts and plays well but lose 2 winable games because we triple reversed to A-Rob on 4th and 1 both games for a loss when we could've hit a 47 yarder to win. 1-3 start Mitch shoulder acts up and we start Foles. Foles does slightly better than Mitch but with Montgomery now getting 20+ carries a game offense we go 6-2. Foles gets hurt. Mitch plays best 4 game stretch of his career, but goes 2-2 because of a non-existent PI call that gives GB a 1pt win in last 2:00 but we go 9-7 and get 6th seed.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:12 pm CB: Xavier Rhodes signed to an incentive laden contract but basically a 2 year with out after one.

RG: We sign Evan Boehm to a short term deal for less than $2m. (He lived around the corner when he was on Cardinals. Didn't know who he was but ran into him walking the dog, started talking football with me and I realized it then. Just a good guy who I want).

Draft: We trade down from 43. I think the reason we went vet heavy is we're going to move down to get extra picks and hope that we get one or two gems so that next year when we have all our picks we don't have many of the same holes. We grab a blocking TE late because our two 6th highest paid TEs don't. We address safety here since that's Pace's sweet spot and he goes Winfield Jr at 50. We take Bryce Perkins as developmental QB round 5.

Mitch starts and plays well but lose 2 winable games because we triple reversed to A-Rob on 4th and 1 both games for a loss when we could've hit a 47 yarder to win. 1-3 start Mitch shoulder acts up and we start Foles. Foles does slightly better than Mitch but with Montgomery now getting 20+ carries a game offense we go 6-2. Foles gets hurt. Mitch plays best 4 game stretch of his career, but goes 2-2 because of a non-existent PI call that gives GB a 1pt win in last 2:00 but we go 9-7 and get 6th seed.
Rhodes was really really bad last year. He was dinged but that has been his m.o. the last two seasons. He fell a long way.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm
Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:17 pm Foles is the starting QB.

Agree, but we're not calling the shots. I am hopeful they are moving on, but let's see what they say.
Yes, we're not calling the shots. That's true. But I don't often listen to what they say, I look at their actions. And their actions were desperate, even prior to free agency, and they made no secret about it, to find a new QB. Not a backup QB. A starter. A band-aid nonetheless until the 2021 draft, but a starter all the same. Foles >Trubisky. As a matter of fact, most of the free agent QBs>Trubisky.
Drone7 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pmWhat's your opinion on Pace?
Initially I was quite pleased with Pace. He seemed to have a "moneyball" approach, youth movement strategy, while building the team from the inside out. He seems to have gone away from most of that. Signing Khalil Mack, as great as a player as he is, troubles me. I'd rather have a number of B+ players rather than an A+++++ player such as Mack who is using up a ton of resources.

Signing Trevathan over Kwit is troubling to me especially when the contract numbers seem to be the same. Not only is he older, but he's oft-injured. Graham is not near what he used to be and his contract seems lucrative for his recent performance. And Quinn, as spectacular as a season he had last year is approaching the wrong side of 30.

I also find his constant use of trading away draft picks "to get our guy" foolish and short-sighted, mortgaging away the future for the idiotic "win-now" strategy. Building your team through the draft with affordable contracts is how successful organizations do it. John Lynch got the best of Pace. Made him look like a fool. The Raiders did the same with Mack. Again, Mack is great, and that was the going price for Mack, but that is the type of deal you stay away from and sign a number of B+ players. Shit, we could have had Honey Badger playing next to EJax last year.

Lastly, last year, approaching the draft as if our team had no needs and simply grabbing the BPA, was delusional when Kyle Long had been injured and play declining for the last several years. Bobbie Massie isn't young either. On the defensive side of the ball, Akiem Hicks isn't a youngster. We should be constantly upgrading our offensive and defensive lines whenever possible. BPA and Win-Now are foolish and we are paying for it and will be paying for it for the next number of years. We need to collect draft picks instead of giving them away.

So Pace needs a course correction. Otherwise, I believe we need to replace him in the next couple of years.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:20 pm
Rhodes was really really bad last year. He was dinged but that has been his m.o. the last two seasons. He fell a long way.
Agreed. Cheap upside play. Two years removed from being among the best and still young, doubt he gets much in the way of significant offers so maybe chance to play his old team twice a year does it.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
spudbear
MVP

Getting back to prediction -
Foles starts but Mitch is brought in about 1/4 of the series to run a wildcat. Foles gets a breather and Mitch gets some work, emphasizing his strengths (mobility, passing on the run) and making him less of a stationary target in the pocket.

Foles gets hurt about game #10, Mitch comes in and is up and down (again). Coaches see what they have in the rookie game #12 and then decide who gives them the best shot: healed Foles, unsteady Mitch or rookie sensation.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

In one of the most surprising moves in recent NFL history, the Patriots swoop in and trade a second round pick for Trubisky with Riley Ridley thrown in as a makeweight after he annoyed Nagy by questioning his route concepts as a rookie.

Belichick works his magic and Mitch astounds everyone with an MVP season before continuing his ascension all the way to the Super Bowl where he demolishes the Packers and adds a second MVP award to his resume. Ridley enjoys a break out year and catches a couple of TDs from Mitch in the big game. Everyone marvels at Belichick's genius and starts questioning whether Brady really has been all that great after all. Bears fans just shake their heads and cry quietly in a corner.

Meanwhile in Chicago the Bears still can't run the ball for love nor money, the pass protection is sporadic, and receivers run the wrong routes and drop passes with alarming regularity. Nagy continues his head-scratchingly random play-calling and runs the ball less than 12 times in half the games. In Week 4 the Bears find success running from the I formation, putting up big yards. Nagy never employs it again, reminding everyone that he was not brought in to run the I formation.

Foles has a similar season to Trubisky's 2019 and all the talk is how he's only ever been a below average QB anyway. Many Bears fans lay the blame for the offense's staggering incompetence at Foles's door and start expressing their belief that the QB on the practice squad who has never dressed for a regular season game let alone thrown a pass is the second-coming of Joe Montana.

The defense continues to keep the team in games and they eke out a few wins, but the Bears are out of the playoff race with a quarter of the season left to play. Nagy starts to lose the locker room.

Virginia is really pissed and George is ready to fire everyone, but the smooth-talking Pace inexplicably manages to persuade them to keep him on by arguing that he's really good talent evaluator because loads of players he drafted and signed in FA have gone on to sign lucrative contracts and are enjoying success with other teams. The Bears being the Bears give him a 5 year extension.

Pace reiterates his commitment to Nagy throughout January, continually stating Nagy knows he needs to be better but that his struggles are all part of the development process and some coaches just need longer than others before they're successful. Immediately after Championship game weekend Pace fires Nagy and announces the Saints quality control coach no-one has ever heard of is to be the new Head Coach of the Chicago Bears. Pace eulogises about how the new coach has come from a 'successful franchise' who will be invaluable in helping the QBs because he's seen Drew Brees around and has even said 'hi' to him on occasion.

Foles isn't convinced. He exercises his release clause and can't bolt from Halas Hall quickly enough. The search for the next Bears QB begins... again.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

2 for 1 prediction.
Foles starts and plays until week week 13 when he gets hurt. Trubisky comes in and rides our dominant run game into the playoffs

Our run game is dominant because we fixed the O line... by shifting a current guy to guard (Massie, Lucas, other)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Drone7
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 am In one of the most surprising moves in recent NFL history, the Patriots swoop in and trade a second round pick for Trubisky with Riley Ridley thrown in as a makeweight after he annoyed Nagy by questioning his route concepts as a rookie.

Belichick works his magic and Mitch astounds everyone with an MVP season before continuing his ascension all the way to the Super Bowl where he demolishes the Packers and adds a second MVP award to his resume. Ridley enjoys a break out year and catches a couple of TDs from Mitch in the big game. Everyone marvels at Belichick's genius and starts questioning whether Brady really has been all that great after all. Bears fans just shake their heads and cry quietly in a corner.

Meanwhile in Chicago the Bears still can't run the ball for love nor money, the pass protection is sporadic, and receivers run the wrong routes and drop passes with alarming regularity. Nagy continues his head-scratchingly random play-calling and runs the ball less than 12 times in half the games. In Week 4 the Bears find success running from the I formation, putting up big yards. Nagy never employs it again, reminding everyone that he was not brought in to run the I formation.

Foles has a similar season to Trubisky's 2019 and all the talk is how he's only ever been a below average QB anyway. Many Bears fans lay the blame for the offense's staggering incompetence at Foles's door and start expressing their belief that the QB on the practice squad who has never dressed for a regular season game let alone thrown a pass is the second-coming of Joe Montana.

The defense continues to keep the team in games and they eke out a few wins, but the Bears are out of the playoff race with a quarter of the season left to play. Nagy starts to lose the locker room.

Virginia is really pissed and George is ready to fire everyone, but the smooth-talking Pace inexplicably manages to persuade them to keep him on by arguing that he's really good talent evaluator because loads of players he drafted and signed in FA have gone on to sign lucrative contracts and are enjoying success with other teams. The Bears being the Bears give him a 5 year extension.

Pace reiterates his commitment to Nagy throughout January, continually stating Nagy knows he needs to be better but that his struggles are all part of the development process and some coaches just need longer than others before they're successful. Immediately after Championship game weekend Pace fires Nagy and announces the Saints quality control coach no-one has ever heard of is to be the new Head Coach of the Chicago Bears. Pace eulogises about how the new coach has come from a 'successful franchise' who will be invaluable in helping the QBs because he's seen Drew Brees around and has even said 'hi' to him on occasion.

Foles isn't convinced. He exercises his release clause and can't bolt from Halas Hall quickly enough. The search for the next Bears QB begins... again.
^ clever...

If The Wizard Belicheat casts that frog into a prince, he moves beyond The Master, Paul Brown in the Pantheon.
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am 2 for 1 prediction.
Foles starts and plays until week week 13 when he gets hurt. Trubisky comes in and rides our dominant run game into the playoffs

Our run game is dominant because we fixed the O line... by shifting a current guy to guard (Massie, Lucas, other)
Lucas is gone. He signed with Washington.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Crazy prediction...

Bears brass continues to say Rex... errr... Mitch is our QB. In preseason games, 10 plays with the 1's and continues to not look good in preseason games. Foles plays some and looks efficient.

QB controversy ensues. But Pace and Nagy stand by their man. While the Bears seem to be better than the 2019 version, it's largely due to Mack, HIcks and Quinn creating havoc on the defensive side. Mitch is up and down and the offense is a bit different, adjusted to not abandoning the run and more shorter routes that leverage the strengths of our slower WR group and Graham. This works to help 10 with easier routes to complete. Still, when things don't go well at home, Boo birds are not shy.

In week 13, the true plan comes to fruition as Mitch gets slammed on a sack. In trots Foles and Nagy's smile is unmistakable as the Bears finish the game 8-5 and move forward with Foles in command. The Bears finish 3-0 and sizzle into the playoffs as the team nobody wants to play..................

spudbear
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 am In one of the most surprising moves in recent NFL history, the Patriots swoop in and trade a second round pick for Trubisky with Riley Ridley thrown in as a makeweight after he annoyed Nagy by questioning his route concepts as a rookie.

Belichick works his magic and Mitch astounds everyone with an MVP season before continuing his ascension all the way to the Super Bowl where he demolishes the Packers and adds a second MVP award to his resume. .
^ clever...

If The Wizard Belicheat casts that frog into a prince, he moves beyond The Master, Paul Brown in the Pantheon.
Emperor Bellicheck
Darth Trubisky
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:41 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am 2 for 1 prediction.

Lucas is gone. He signed with Washington.
Welp… There goes that pipe dream.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
GSH
MVP

I know you're joking but I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see Mitch get traded for some draft pick shenanigans.
Ormazd
MVP

I know many of you think Foles is "garbage", but I can't think of a better "backup" Bears QB in my years of fandom. Either his presence lights a fire under Mitch, or he ends up starting. In either case (assuming general health), Bears win 10-11 and make the playoffs.
Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:18 am It's the offseason, right? We just got Nick Foles to add some legitimate drama to our QB situation.

Post your prediction about how the QB position will play out this year. Add as much detail and intrigue as you care to. Feel free to debate why certain predictions will or won't, can or can't happen.
- Foles wins open camp competition

- He plays well and the Bears start 6-2. Then, he gets injured. Diagnosis: 2-4 weeks sidelined.

- Enter Mitch... who plays well. Quite well. He wins 2 out of 3 games throwing 7 TD's 2 INT's and 800 yards. He's also utilizing his legs again with some highlight runs/scrambles. It's a full blown QB controversy circling through the local and national media.

- Foles is ruled out for the 4th week. However, speculation swirls that he is being held out because the staff wants to give Mitch one final week to prove himself as the starter.

- Mitch comes crashing back to Earth against a tough opponent. 1 TD 3 INT's 50% CMP and (once again) the team fully throws their support behind Foles.

- Foles returns motivated and wins 3 out of his last 4. Bringing the 2019 Bears to an 11-5 record. Winning the NFC North.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Aaaayyyyyy, I can dig it Richie! :thumbsup:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Richie
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:16 am Interesting thing about Trubisky is that he plays better later in the season. He struggles early
Looking back, over his 3 seasons. He's looked his worst in December outside of one Dallas game. His best Weeks 4 through 10 in 2018. 2017 was really neither here nor there in that regard.
Fumblebuck
MVP

Skins surprise and draft Tua @ 2. Bears flip a second for Haskins. Foles & Trubisky battle it out all season while Haskins sits at #3 and learns. Following season we roll with Haskins backed up by Foles, for better or worse.

Upside: Bears have their assumed QB of the future for a 2nd rounder.
Downside: Haskins could turn out to be a shit QB
UOK
Site Admin

The Bears draft WR and RB in round two, causing the board to erupt in fury. Pace trades down several times, ultimately taking key needs with 5-7th round picks. Bears twitter eats itself alive. No QB is drafted again.

UDFAs come in and intrigue. They are all cut.

Mack tears his ACL during camp. Eddie Jackson misses signifant time with a nagging shoulder injury. Trubisky and Foles trade starts due to injuries and politics. Bears lose a stretch of games mid-season and things begin to unravel in the locker room.

The Bears rally to go 9-7, but fail to make the playoffs, going 0-2 against the Packers, and losing to the Chase Daniel-led Lions at home in embarrassing fashion.

Pace and Nagy are both fired, and the Bears rebuild once again. We observe our lives in hell.