Hall of Famer

Needed depth. Okay.
dplank
Hall of Famer

He’s Leonard Floyd basically lol
Richie
MVP

Good football name. lol

Definitely a depth signing. His page isn't exactly pretty.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ngBa00.htm
BR0D1E86
MVP

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Veteran depth.
Wounded Bear
MVP

We need someone to replace the production of Aaron Lynch.

How does this guy as far as jumping offsides on 3rd and long?
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:28 am We need someone to replace the production of Aaron Lynch.

How does this guy as far as jumping offsides on 3rd and long?
For 1/2 what they paid him I will jump offsides every once in a while.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I always thought he was a Key & Peele character.
cblaz11
MVP

You need backup/rotational guys who can step in and start if needed. Burns provides that at CB, Bush provides that at safety, RRH on the dline, and now Mingo at OLB.

Love the depth on defense
cblaz11
MVP

You need backup/rotational guys who can step in and start if needed. Burns provides that at CB, Bush provides that at safety, RRH on the dline, and now Mingo at OLB.

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

A prove it deal and we need depth. Not bad for having no cap $ to spend, but nothing to get too excited for.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:48 am You need backup/rotational guys who can step in and start if needed. Burns provides that at CB, Bush provides that at safety, RRH on the dline, and now Mingo at OLB.

Hm, not sure I'd go that far. Burns's production has really dropped off. He's started 7 games in the past two years and had just one PD. Mingo's been in the league 7 years and has recorded just 10 sacks... and half of those came in his rookie season. He might be an OK guy on obvious running downs to rotate for Quinn, but if either Quinn or (God forbid) Mack go down he's going to provide no pressure whatsoever.
UOK
Site Admin

I know little to nothing of Mingo beyond him being a top pick by the Browns one year, and ultimately becoming not much of anything.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:36 am
cblaz11 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:48 am You need backup/rotational guys who can step in and start if needed. Burns provides that at CB, Bush provides that at safety, RRH on the dline, and now Mingo at OLB.

Hm, not sure I'd go that far. Burns's production has really dropped off. He's started 7 games in the past two years and had just one PD. Mingo's been in the league 7 years and has recorded just 10 sacks... and half of those came in his rookie season. He might be an OK guy on obvious running downs to rotate for Quinn, but if either Quinn or (God forbid) Mack go down he's going to provide no pressure whatsoever.
Not on running downs please...you can blow the guy over with a well timed fart. Physically he is Leonard Floyd, maybe even a little skinnier if that's possible. He's not a 'set the edge' OLB, he can either rush or cover - I'm hoping his coverage skills are better than his rush skills.
UOK
Site Admin

From what I read he's been a good special teamer in Houston, and that's about it.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mingo is only 235lbs on a 6'5" frame. (for reference, Floyd was 5 pounds heavier...)

He has trouble holding up at the point of attack on running downs. As a limited LB playing zone or rushing on occasion, he's...Leonard Floyd lite?
combine analysis:
Strengths Tall, long and explosive pass rusher who projects best as a stand-up, weakside edge rusher in the NFL. Incredible first step off the snap, can turn the corner on the outside and shimmy inside against leaning tackles. Not a contact-shy player despite his slight build, often lines up on the strong side and/or inside of tight ends in a tight alignment. Strong player setting the edge against the run. Willing to take on tackles man-up, extends his arms to keep distance and can get off to grab backs trying to get through the hole. Takes tight ends backwards into the background using his length and foot work. Works through blocks to get down the line to chase plays. Overall agility and length make him effective in coverage, can stay with running backs out of the backfield and wrap up receivers in space. Excellent straight-line speed shows when chasing down plays from behind. Uses his length and jumping ability to knock down passes if unable to reach the quarterback.
Weaknesses Very lean player, likely too thin in the hips to grow into an every-down defensive end. Needs to shed more consistently to prevent plays from getting outside of him. Long legs get in his way at times when trying to change directions quickly. Often gets too focused on scrapping with his blocker instead of getting his eyes in the backfield to find the ball. Did not progress in terms of pass rush moves during his career. Great player off the snap of the ball, but too often allows the offensive tackle to recover because he lacks a move to disengage
Seems like he never grew out of his 'weaknesses'
I know that players play the position they play, but his size and athleticism scream hybrid box Safety/LB to me.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Also some of his best production in recent years came when he was under Pagano in Indy, starting 6 games
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Guys, he's a situational pass rusher that might not even make the team.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:52 am Guys, he's a situational pass rusher that might not even make the team.
He got a pretty healthy guarantee, relatively speaking. He will more than likely make the team (id say >80% chance). Sounds like he can hold his spot on ST alone
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:36 am
Not on running downs please...you can blow the guy over with a well timed fart. Physically he is Leonard Floyd, maybe even a little skinnier if that's possible. He's not a 'set the edge' OLB, he can either rush or cover - I'm hoping his coverage skills are better than his rush skills.
Yea. Sounds like he's strong in coverage and ST. Weak against the run. Pass rush speaks for itself. He's a poor man Floyd I guess, but its a pretty superficial comparison based on body type and being a 1st round bust I think. The market values of both of these guys I think speak to that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:16 am
wab wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:52 am Guys, he's a situational pass rusher that might not even make the team.
He got a pretty healthy guarantee, relatively speaking. He will more than likely make the team (id say >80% chance). Sounds like he can hold his spot on ST alone
Yeah, where this team is at cap-wise, you just can't give a fringe player a million guaranteed to go away and not hold down a roster spot.
He'd have to whiz on Nagy's weekly gameplan to blow this.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I guess I skimmed over the part where he’s guaranteed like 900k.

Ugh, yeah, he’s making the roster then.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Here's a really good analysis on him for when he went to Seattle:

I really like this signing. In fact, I wanted him a couple of years ago, before we got Mack. I think he still has upside. Perhaps Quinn and Mack can teach him some more pass rushing counters. He actually has real good outside pass rush speed and shows some bull rush to him as well.

I think when DP says he's Leonard Floyd, he's not far off the mark. The guy's had at least 40 plus tackles in every single season that he's had at least three starts so he must be doing something right somewhere.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 am I always thought he was a Key & Peele character.
:rofl: :thumbsup:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:46 pm Here's a really good analysis on him for when he went to Seattle:

I really like this signing. In fact, I wanted him a couple of years ago, before we got Mack. I think he still has upside. Perhaps Quinn and Mack can teach him some more pass rushing counters. He actually has real good outside pass rush speed and shows some bull rush to him as well.

I think when DP says he's Leonard Floyd, he's not far off the mark. The guy's had at least 40 plus tackles in every single season that he's had at least three starts so he must be doing something right somewhere.
Just for context, his 318 Special teams snaps last year would have been 2nd on the 2019 Bears. He had 370+ in Seattle the year before. His position might as well be ST (though he did log a decent amount of D snaps in 2018 too, but I think they had a lot of injuries).
Z Bear
MVP

He is better than Irving or Vaughters, so now our depth is pretty solid.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm I guess I skimmed over the part where he’s guaranteed like 900k.

Ugh, yeah, he’s making the roster then.
On a complete tangent, I know we talk about millions of dollars contracts like nothing but especially in this economy, can you imagine being *guaranteed* $900k for one year? You live frugally enough after that pay day, and you won't have to work another day in your life. Just blows my mind sometimes.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:34 pm
On a complete tangent, I know we talk about millions of dollars contracts like nothing but especially in this economy, can you imagine being *guaranteed* $900k for one year? You live frugally enough after that pay day, and you won't have to work another day in your life. Just blows my mind sometimes.
I think you may be overstating that a bit. Let's say after taxes and y1 living expenses you could actually invest 625k into a 6% annuity. That would come out to about 40k a year for 40 years. But with inflation that 40k is not gonna be much in 40 years. And 40k doesn't take you too far most places in the country as is.

That said you could go work a low paying job and take a much smaller annual annuity every year and never really worry about your retirement or if you can afford the basics in life. Never go into debt.

Now string several of those 900k salaries together and your getting closer.

Mingo on the other hand is at 26M in career earnings. If he lived a lifestyle like a person making 150k from day 1 he could keep up that lifestyle indefinitely without working (and still have some leftover at age 100).
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yet it was said that 75% of NFL players go bankrupt. They spend their money foolishly and live well beyond their means.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson