Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham to 2yr, $16M deal

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Aaron Rodgers is so fucking good.

I say that while still considering him my most hated professional athlete.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Best QB I've seen in 50 years watching.

Of course, he had to come after Favre also dominated the Bears. A Bears fans' life is cruel.

Always pull against them, but love watching him play. It's akin to watching Jordan or Federer or Clemente.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Best I've ever seen, aside from Mahomes now, but there's nothing better than seeing that smirk wiped off the SOB's face only to be replaced with tears. Ever noticed that as the Packers are losing, he almost always looks like he's ready to cry. I live for games like that.
docc
Head Coach

Large catch radious ..good hands..RZ. Target and 3rd down... Doesn't need speed in these..
dplank
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:36 pm Best QB I've seen in 50 years watching.

Of course, he had to come after Favre also dominated the Bears. A Bears fans' life is cruel.

Always pull against them, but love watching him play. It's akin to watching Jordan or Federer or Clemente.
One super bowl. He’s no Jordan.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i've come down off the ledge on this signing a little bit. watching his highlights from last year, he still has phenomenal body control for a guy his size, and great hands. really drives home how useless a project a guy like shaheen is, who's just so stiff to the point of constantly getting injured every time he falls to the ground.

still hate the price tag, but whatever.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Just heard on the Spotrac podcast that he has a no-trade clause in his contract which is... v weird.
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am Just heard on the Spotrac podcast that he has a no-trade clause in his contract which is... v weird.
He's 33, be 34 in November. He's got maybe 1-2 years of viability left in him anyway, and there's no value he'd get in a trade anyway.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 am
crueltyabc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:59 am Just heard on the Spotrac podcast that he has a no-trade clause in his contract which is... v weird.
He's 33, be 34 in November. He's got maybe 1-2 years of viability left in him anyway, and there's no value he'd get in a trade anyway.
It's still weird. I'm not mad Pace gave it to him. But it's weird. Like why did Graham even ask for it? Does he think Pace would be trying to dump him midseason if Burton came back healthy or something?
Drone7
Player of the Month

I never believed there was a comparable market for Glennon or Burton...or Graham. Anyone have any evidence there were comparable offers to any of these guys?
cblaz11
MVP

Burton, when healthy, produced.

Graham signed for 2 mill more then Greg Olsen...who has missed 18 games in 3 years.

The market is set...
wab
Mod

I don’t like the signing, but availability has plagued the bears at the TE position. If you look at the TE’s available while taking that into account...it’s pretty clear why he was signed.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Glennon didn't play well in Tampa, but Pace gave him 3 yrs 45 million...18.5M guaranteed was eaten for a dismal 4 games in the lineup. No word on which team offered him nearly this much, not to mention they took a bath on production. Some rationalizing Bears' fans even resorted to the Glennon Smokescreen Theory to justify the move, allowing Pace to move up for the desperately wanted ( :roll: ) Mr. Mitchell Trubisky.

Burton was originally one of the untouchables--a UDFA whom was given a 1.5M contract. He later was given a 2.5 one year contract and promoted from 4th to 3rd string for the Eagles. Pace gave him 32M with 22M guaranteed spread fairly evenly over his contract, which is why they are almost stuck with him still. He caught over 50 balls his first year, so I guess that's what you consider earning his contract, but didn't have much RAC yardage or blocked well from the U, then missed the crucial playoff game for somewhat mysterious reasons. For his efforts, he was rated the 22nd best TE by PFF. Last year, was an injury washout. Again, no word on what team offered Burton something comparable to 32/22.

Graham has had a nice career as a big WR faux TE, but has tailed off. He caught over 50 balls in GB in 2018 with 2 TDs; last year he caught in the 30s with 3 TDs. He has played with Brees, Wilson and Rodgers--all headed to the HOF. Now he comes to the Bears who lack a HOF QB. Olsen got one year 7M with 5.5M guaranteed. Graham got 2 years 16M with 9 guaranteed, largely because the Bears can't count on Burton. No word on which team made a comparable offer. Jury's out on whether he earns it. Perhaps.

So yeah, I had...and have...a problem with these deals. I thought Gabriel's agent also leapt at his deal.

btw I praised the ARob deal, so it's not like I bash every move Pace makes
RichH55
Hall of Famer

If only you held other teams to anything resembling this standard (The Burton take here is rather Dumb - just doesn't understand how markets work)

Other critiques have more merit - but when it's ALWAYS the sky is falling on everything - and then defending dumb deals elsewhere - then it loses respectability
RichH55
Hall of Famer

And I think Graham is overpaid - even according to the market -

Market priced deals CAN be the market and still be BAD (especially in hindsight) - This is a thought that seems very lost here (see the Bad Burton take above)

For me the Graham deal is pretty clearly iffy generally - but even if he's good it was an overpay according to the market

How overpaid is a fair question - whether or not overpaid I think is pretty clear
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Damn! And I wanted to trade him midseason for Kittle too. Well, there goes that plan. :frustrated:
Richie
MVP

Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm
Burton was originally one of the untouchables--a UDFA whom was given a 1.5M contract. He later was given a 2.5 one year contract and promoted from 4th to 3rd string for the Eagles.

Again, no word on what team offered Burton something comparable to 32/22.
The top portion is just wrong pertaining to what Burton was in his final years as an Eagle. Burton was the 2nd TE behind Ertz (not 3rd or 4th) his final two seasons on that team and played a big role in his 5 starts over 2 years when Ertz went down. Along with a couple other games when he left banged up. 23 REC 248 YARDS 5 TD's is a pretty darn nice line for a TE who was only targeted 31 times and played second fiddle. In 2016, he started 4 times and posted 37-327-1.

He was rather highly regarded by the general public and the signing got a good deal of praise. Burton was seen as a TE with a good deal of upside who just happened to be overshadowed by Ertz.

I'm not saying Burton was worth the deal or had comparable offers. However, I think you're manipulating some information. Or you're just wrong on a few things.

Also, how often do you find out the other figures offered to a player? Not very often unless it's a QB or another high profile player. Not hearing word certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. The Eagles obviously couldn't retain Burton.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 pm
Drone7 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm
Burton was originally one of the untouchables--a UDFA whom was given a 1.5M contract. He later was given a 2.5 one year contract and promoted from 4th to 3rd string for the Eagles.

Again, no word on what team offered Burton something comparable to 32/22.
The top portion is just wrong pertaining to what Burton was in his final years as an Eagle. Burton was the 2nd TE behind Ertz (not 3rd or 4th) his final two seasons on that team and played a big role in his 5 starts over 2 years when Ertz went down. Along with a couple other games when he left banged up. 23 REC 248 YARDS 5 TD's is a pretty darn nice line for a TE who was only targeted 31 times and played second fiddle. In 2016, he started 4 times and posted 37-327-1.

He was rather highly regarded by the general public and the signing got a good deal of praise. Burton was seen as a TE with a good deal of upside who just happened to be overshadowed by Ertz.

I'm not saying Burton was worth the deal or had comparable offers. However, I think you're manipulating some information. Or you're just wrong on a few things.

Also, how often do you find out the other figures offered to a player? Not very often unless it's a QB or another high profile player. Not hearing word certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen. The Eagles obviously couldn't retain Burton.

That's a Drone specialty - show him what other GM would have drafted X - Reporting doesn't count, pundits don't count.

Verified screen shot of a teams draft board or it doesn't count. (Only for Bears - if Funches gets $10 million from another team - then obviously great market deal just don't throw the football too hard!)

It's dumb - but it is what it is
cblaz11
MVP

Eifert just signed for 2years/15 million.

Market...set
dplank
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am Eifert just signed for 2years/15 million.

Market...set
Wow. That guy gets injured sitting on the toilet. I definitely feel better about our deal...
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:43 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 am Eifert just signed for 2years/15 million.

Market...set
Wow. That guy gets injured sitting on the toilet. I definitely feel better about our deal...
Kind of thinking the same. But I think hooper got 10 or 11 per.
cblaz11
MVP

What’s a measure of success for Graham? In other words, what does he need to do numbers wise to justify his deal?

50 receptions, 500-600 yards, 5 TDs?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

If Graham gets to those numbers, I'd call it a successful signing. He's always looked up to and well liked in the locker room and can show these young guys how a professional conducts themselves at work too. Which is a big bonus in the TE room.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I was under the impression the Eifert deal included a decent amount of incentives

Guaranteed money ABSOLUTELY matters here
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

If the dude can put up 600 yards and half a dozen TD's, I think we'll all settle down about this.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The good thing is he has been extremely durable over the course of his career so we probably won’t be in the trash bin looking for TE help.

A side note, every time we talk tight ends I still get pissed about Zach’s freak injury.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

You know, one thing to consider with this contract--as many have noted, "he's already the best TE on our roster," but not only that, he's also the best TE we could get from the draft, at least from a receiving and ready to play standpoint.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm What’s a measure of success for Graham? In other words, what does he need to do numbers wise to justify his deal?

50 receptions, 500-600 yards, 5 TDs?
50/600/5
sounds like a good bar

However, what if Burton is totally and completely fine and gets most of the playing time?
(Yes, they play 2 TE sets sometimes, but I don't think it's all that high %. I'd be shocked if it's 50%+.)

Wasted $ or any insurance policy you had to have?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:51 pm You know, one thing to consider with this contract--as many have noted, "he's already the best TE on our roster," but not only that, he's also the best TE we could get from the draft, at least from a receiving and ready to play standpoint.
Great points Yogi. Maybe the money is too high. But none of the other FA TE signing are better IMO.

As far as Burton. I think it's time to stick a fork in him. Don't know what happened, but the dude has clearly lost his mental ability to play in the NFL.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.