FA Activity/Rumor Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Same. Jefferson is exactly what the Bears need and I think he's a logical fit for where he's at in his career.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:12 am

Yep
Who exactly? What dimond has he found?
The resources used to acquire players that only provided role-player stats (at best), makes it fair game to question Pace.
Hitting on several key players that produced far beyond the resources used to acquire them has kept Pace from getting fired.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Hoog
Player of the Month

Sounds like Bryan Winters is getting released by the Jets. He should be our next RG. Also Tajae Sharpe is the chouce at WR. Dude is itching to break out. Had the same stats as Gabriel and he's bigger with better hands (72% catch rate last year)
cblaz11
MVP

Haha

Ok, let’s move on.

Has Gabriel signed anywhere?
Richie
MVP

We are dead last at 1.9 mil in cap space according to Spotrac.

Where's the money to bring in a WR? I would love Perriman or Robby Anderson (character concerns, I know) but we can't swing it.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

Over the cap has us a little higher Team Cap Space: $2,344,091
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/

I'm sure we'll have to do more cap-dancing, restructuring deals, etc. My guess is an extension with A-Rob is already in the works and will give us some cap space
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Apparently the Cornelius Lucas contract was smaller than initially reported, so he's not going to net a comp pick. Per Biggs...
In other Chicago free agency news, the contract that former Bear offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas received wasn’t as large as originally reported, so his deal no longer qualifies him as a potential compensatory free agent. Over the Cap’s Brad Spielberger still believes that the Bears are in line for 4 comp picks however, three sixths and a seventh
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:02 pm Apparently the Cornelius Lucas contract was smaller than initially reported, so he's not going to net a comp pick. Per Biggs...
In other Chicago free agency news, the contract that former Bear offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas received wasn’t as large as originally reported, so his deal no longer qualifies him as a potential compensatory free agent. Over the Cap’s Brad Spielberger still believes that the Bears are in line for 4 comp picks however, three sixths and a seventh
Hmm OTCs cancellation chart now shows 3 picks with Burns offsetting KPL, but they don't have Burns details yet.

It's still pretty early.. Lots of things to still shake out (potentially all the way up to midseason as we saw this year with the Davis cut). Pretty good bet they'll pick up at least a couple though.

Edit--they probably just have Burns there conservatively actually. I'll bet he's below the threshold too. Seems like they dropped KPLs comp from a 6th where it was the other day, to a 7th. So maybe he'll be 6/7 borderline, and I imagine Lucas will be borderline as well (7/NA)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 am
BR0D1E86 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:02 pm Apparently the Cornelius Lucas contract was smaller than initially reported, so he's not going to net a comp pick. Per Biggs...

Hmm OTCs cancellation chart now shows 3 picks with Burns offsetting KPL, but they don't have Burns details yet.

It's still pretty early.. Lots of things to still shake out (potentially all the way up to midseason as we saw this year with the Davis cut). Pretty good bet they'll pick up at least a couple though.

Edit--they probably just have Burns there conservatively actually. I'll bet he's below the threshold too. Seems like they dropped KPLs comp from a 6th where it was the other day, to a 7th. So maybe he'll be 6/7 borderline, and I imagine Lucas will be borderline as well (7/NA)

Great post - sorry I brought the Colts into it (or couldn't let a dumb Funches defense go)

I too am very curious on the Burns contract. If I read my OTC correctly if it's under $2.5 million (which I think it probably is ) then it will NOT effect the Comp Pick
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

~~~~~~Update~~~~~~

Code: Select all

QB		Foles			Trubisky		Bray 
RB		Montgomery		Cohen		Nall	
WR-X	Robinson		Wims		
WR-Z	Miller			Ridley		Davis	
WR-Slot	Patterson		Ives			Wesley	
FB/TE	Holtz			Braunecker		
TE-U	Burton			Horsted		Raymond	Clark
TE-Y	Graham			Harris		Saubert		Shaheen
LT		Leno			
LG		Daniels			Levin		Boyd		
C		Whitehair		Mustipher		
RG		Ifedi			Coward		Bars
RT		Massie			

OLB		Mack			Irving		Vaughters		
DE		Hicks			RRH		
NT		Goldman			
DE		Nichols			Urban		Anderson		
OLB		Quinn			Mingo
ILB		Trevathan		Woods		Bond	
ILB		Smith			Iyiegbuniwe		
CB		Fuller			Burns		Denmark	
CB		Toliver			Roberson	Crawford	
Nickel	Skrine			Shelley		Joseph	
FS		Jackson			Houston-Carson
SS		Bush			Lucas		Brice

LS		Scales
K		Piniero			
P		O'Donnell			

FA		McManis, Lynch, Sowell, Larsen, Clemmings								
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Good news on comp pick front. With a full guarantee, sounds like he will get a legit chance to compete for CB2 spot.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Good on the total and comp, interesting on the guarantee.

That's 2-3 low on the depth chart guys Pace has guaranteed a roster spot in order to land them.

Tre Roberson's chances just plummeted. He'd have to beat Shelly (and everyone else) for that last spot - which is probably earmarked for a backup nickel.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:19 pm Good on the total and comp, interesting on the guarantee.

That's 2-3 low on the depth chart guys Pace has guaranteed a roster spot in order to land them.

Tre Roberson's chances just plummeted. He'd have to beat Shelly (and everyone else) for that last spot - which is probably earmarked for a backup nickel.
Roberson is definitely on the bubble, but I think he has decent odds. They probably keep 10 DBs, but could keep as many as 11. 6 CB and 4 S is likely (Fuller, Skrine, Toliver, Burns, Shelley, Roberson as your 6 CB). Denmark and Joseph - and maybe a draft pick - will push Roberson and Shelley for the 5th and 6th spot
cblaz11
MVP

Sounds like the Bears are sniffing around OG Kelechi Osemele. Saw Patterson is recruiting him on Twitter also....

Thoughts on this guy?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:14 pm Sounds like the Bears are sniffing around OG Kelechi Osemele. Saw Patterson is recruiting him on Twitter also....

Thoughts on this guy?
His name reminds me of Frank Omilaye so I don't like him.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

He was great with the Ravens. He's been less than great since leaving the Ravens. He's 30, and has had a few down years, partially due to health issues. If and when he's healthy, he was dominant earlier in his career. If he came here on a low-money deal, it could be an interesting possibility. If he's healthy, he's a damn good player.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

This doesn't deserve its own thread, but there is a slight chance that Leonard Floyd could get hung out to dry. His contract isn't official until he gets a physical, and with the Brockers deal getting nixed and him returning to the team, it creates a cap space pinch for the Rams. They could opt to nix Floyd's deal which would put him in a tight spot with most teams already spending their FA cap money. Speculation of where he could be interested in going includes back to the Bears as our #3 OLB.

This was in a speculative article, with the possibilities being slim. But it is something to watch out for and not be completely shocked if you suddenly see Floyd back in Navy and orange.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Any word on any more restructures or anything to help the cap?
UOK
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 am Any word on any more restructures or anything to help the cap?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Thanks UOK!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote:
cblaz11
MVP

We’re actually in pretty good shape cap wise.

About 10 mill under
Still could free up room with Hicks or Arob extension
Could always convert more of Mack’s deal
We don’t have a first rd pick to pay
We don’t have much dead cap carrying over to next year

Hard pass on Lee though..the guy cannot stay healthy
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:47 am
AZ_Bearfan wrote:
:-D
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am We’re actually in pretty good shape cap wise.

About 10 mill under

They're not quite dire, but going into 2021 they're already near the bottom of projected space. Bottom quartile basically.
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
Obviously there's always cap maneuvering to be done, but I don't see any big spending coming, unless there ends up being a August cut that they really like ala Sitton a few years back. Roll over that cap (and you want some cushion in season as I think there's penalties for going over)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 am We’re actually in pretty good shape cap wise.

About 10 mill under

They're not quite dire, but going into 2021 they're already near the bottom of projected space. Bottom quartile basically.
Obviously there's always cap maneuvering to be done, but I don't see any big spending coming, unless there ends up being a August cut that they really like ala Sitton a few years back. Roll over that cap (and you want some cushion in season as I think there's penalties for going over)
Doesn't the 4 year period start again in 2021? So there will be all kinds of cap games to play
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Doesn't the 4 year period start again in 2021? So there will be all kinds of cap games to play
I believe the 4 year periods you are referring to are only in regards to actual cash. Teams have to spend x percent of the cap in those 4 year periods, but that doesn't affect the cap calculation.

The more interesting question is what impacts reduced revenue could have on future cap years. Slowing or shrinking revenue could hurt cap growth. TV money is still there but if teams have to play in empty stadiums, that's going to affect revenue.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

~~~~~~Update Depth Projections Post Draft ~~~~~~
Not including UDFA yet. This is 75 guys. So 15 UDFA/FA spots left to fill (without any other cuts)

Code: Select all

QB		Foles			Trubisky		Bray 
RB		Montgomery		Cohen		Nall	
WR-X	Robinson		Wims		Wesley	
WR-Z	Miller			Patterson	Ives	
WR-Slot	Ridley			Mooney 	Davis
FB/TE/H	Holtz			Braunecker	Saubert
TE-U	Graham			Horsted		Clark
TE-Y	Kmet			Harris		Shaheen
LT		Leno			Spriggs		
LG		Daniels			Bars		Boyd		
C		Whitehair		Levine		Mustipher		
RG		Ifedi			Coward		Hambright
RT		Massie			Simmons

OLB		Mack			Gipson		Irving			
DE		Hicks			RRH		
NT		Goldman			
DE		Nichols			Urban		Anderson		
OLB		Quinn			Mingo		Vaughters	
ILB		Trevathan		Woods		Bond	
ILB		Smith			Iyiegbuniwe		
CB		Fuller			McManis	Burns		Joseph	
CB		Johnson			Tolliver		Roberson	Crawford	
Nickel	Skrine			Shelley		Vildor	
FS		Jackson			Brice		Lucas
SS		Bush			Houston-Carson	Denmark

LS		Scales
K		Piniero			Ahmed
P		O'Donnell			
That CB depth is gonna be interesting. I'm assuming Denmark will move to S (but long shot to make roster, maybe PS again). McManis if he makes the roster, is primarily a ST, but could also potentially be moved as a backup S. But I'm thinking Shelley, Vildor, Burns, McManis, and Roberson are competing for 2 maybe 3 spots (and Tolliver is far from safe, could include him in that group)

Of positions that could see someone not on this list on the initial 53 man, I'd say RB and S have the highest odds of seeing a new name (whether a UDFA or vet FA).

The upside is that I think the expanded PS takes effect this season, so assuming guys aren't poached, there are more development spots available.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

If Damon Harrison was willing to take a 1 year deal like Dontari Poe did in Dallas, I'd be interested.
John Cyprien is available and likely won't garner a huge contract. He's a reliable tackler if not a dynamic cover guy.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:30 pm
RichH55 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:20 pm

I believe the 4 year periods you are referring to are only in regards to actual cash. Teams have to spend x percent of the cap in those 4 year periods, but that doesn't affect the cap calculation.

The more interesting question is what impacts reduced revenue could have on future cap years. Slowing or shrinking revenue could hurt cap growth. TV money is still there but if teams have to play in empty stadiums, that's going to affect revenue.

That's for the Floor yes - but the whole thing is for a 4 year cycle IIRC

So starting in 2021 is when teams can maximize Cap games again (*)

(*) IF a team has Cap Room in 2020 they can play it now by getting a big cap hit this year to spend what they have left - since the 30% RULE is not longer in effect with the new CBA (not final league year)

But 2021 is when you can just roll over extra cap Room into the next year - and/or kick the cap issues to 2024 if need be (**)

(**) And you might even get away with it if the new TV Revenue goes crazy - which is a very, very distinct possibility

I am curious to what degree no fans would hurt revenue - Has to some for 2020 no doubt - but maybe it's a much smaller percentage that what we are thinking? (I need to delve into the new CBA to see how they redefined revenue - seems like the Players % went up AND the definitions of what is counted as revenue got more expansive - both of which would push the cap up for 2021)