Politics-Free Pandemic/COVID-19 Discussion

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Now that our resident dipshit has been exiled, I'll re-open this thread, since everybody but Drone was playing it cool.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I am thankful that my wife is a teacher and that she teaches in a statewide elearning center.

All this remote learning stuff is old news to her and we have a definite advantage having a teacher in the house.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I'm thankful that my 14 year old had issues at his middle school with an out of control P.E. teacher that forced us to enroll him in online school for 8th grade. He's not skipping a beat.

Also, glad we have our 5 year old in a church run daycare as they are the only ones allowed to stay open. How long that will last is anybodies guess. But with me and the wife WFH and taking care of her mom who has late stage Alzheimer's has been a struggle.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, Day ? into this and there has been change. My son is basically home full time since ISU was shut down. Good kid but he is giving me some doubts. Mind you, I got high as a teen and into early 20s. I was not a regular smoker. I always thought if my kids do not do more than me, no problem. He likes his weed, he has been caught numerous times. He has been told, you get arrested, you are on your own.

Daughter back home as well. Her work shut down until at least 4/27. Good kid, she likes to butt heads with her dad. Her boyfriend has since gotten a good job back here, so she will be moving back full time in a month or so. She will need to find a job.

Kind of stressful having the 2 back home for the time being. Got used to my independence. All our lives kind of over turned at the moment, but things still manageable.

Our department is working half staff, this week my days are T and Th. Expected to work from home the others. It is getting me out of the mood to work at all. We can't see clients in the office, at their homes or in the community. Court has been cancelled as well. Job is kind of at a standstill.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:11 am 36, I work night shift 10p to 6a, chew, eat dorritos, been exposed to wide arraignment of chemicals, have 4 kids and a crazy wife. I also deadlift 500 run 2 miles in 15 min and work out fairly regularly to the point of nausea. It's a yin and yang man everything's killing me, a diet dew a day isn't the first or last thing on the list. I literally run on cortisol. Laugh but yes I should probably fix a few habbits.

That said I am not thankful for gyms being closed.
Are we the same person?
Brother is that you? Laugh.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab
Mod

We've reached week three in my house, and everyone is starting to turn on each other. Kids are arguing, my wife is spending alllll the money and just aimlessly buys things on Amazon because she's bored.

I've sequestered myself to the game room with enough rations to wait this thing out.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07 pm We've reached week three in my house, and everyone is starting to turn on each other. Kids are arguing, my wife is spending alllll the money and just aimlessly buys things on Amazon because she's bored.

I've sequestered myself to the game room with enough rations to wait this thing out.
My wife does the same, but Poshmark. Every couple weeks about 20+ packages of shoes, purses, and random bullshit clothes arrive.

Thankfully the plague has been a nice buffer on cutting off that immediate gratification. Amazon especially keeps kicking back the ship date for weeks at a time, so it's incentivized us to stop buying a lot of random bullshit just to pass the time. Fucking Poshmark, though.
Xee
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 pm
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 amAs far as working from home goes, I hate it. My home desktop is bitchin', but it's stifling being in the cooped up home office with the wife and dog. Chances are excellent I'll move my portion of the office into another room or maybe the basement or something.
Hey, now I'm curious, Post a pic of your battle station! After I clean off my desk a bit and make it presentable I'll share one as well.
Took me a while but here's where I'm spending 12 hours a day doing less-fun things than posting here:
For BFO2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23 pm
Xee wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Hey, now I'm curious, Post a pic of your battle station! After I clean off my desk a bit and make it presentable I'll share one as well.
Took me a while but here's where I'm spending 12 hours a day doing less-fun things than posting here:

For BFO2.jpg

I thought you had a random tiny monitor, but it's just the laptop. Lotta screen real estate! Three monitors is bold, and in my experience pretty awesome, but at other times it comes off like I'm forcing myself to find excuses of how to take advantage of that real estate. I pared down to two monitors at both work and home and am enjoying it quite a bit more. Feels less cluttered.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm
Xee wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23 pm

For BFO2.jpg

I thought you had a random tiny monitor, but it's just the laptop. Lotta screen real estate! Three monitors is bold, and in my experience pretty awesome, but at other times it comes off like I'm forcing myself to find excuses of how to take advantage of that real estate. I pared down to two monitors at both work and home and am enjoying it quite a bit more. Feels less cluttered.
Completely agree. It's definitely overkill for home-use and I haven't found a good use for the laptop screen so I never use it; it's just there because that's my work laptop and it's what all the other monitors are pulling from. This setup is strictly for work-use and I've found 3 monitors to be perfect for that. When I have my personal laptop hooked up I only use two monitors.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Due to 3 kids doing schoolwork and the wife working from home I had to relocate to my shotgun/rifle/reloading room. Set up on a 8 foot bench.

But I guess it's peaceful.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

My 5 year old was never more than 8" away from me at any point today. I'm not going to make it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Trying to build a coffee bar for my wife, when I get out in the garage. Making it solely from scrap wood I have or can find at my son's or father-in-law's. due to that, it is slow. Started listening to podcasts. My Favorite Murders has got me kind of hooked recently. Watching Ozark, 5 episodes in.

Just trying to keep busy and keep my mind off of not being able to hang with the grandkids or other family members. Watched some social distancing concerts over facebook, enjoyed all so far. Playing board games, planting shit inside to get it started.

Praying for all to be safe.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:14 pm
wab wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:07 pm We've reached week three in my house, and everyone is starting to turn on each other. Kids are arguing, my wife is spending alllll the money and just aimlessly buys things on Amazon because she's bored.

My wife does the same, but Poshmark. Every couple weeks about 20+ packages of shoes, purses, and random bullshit clothes arrive.

Thankfully the plague has been a nice buffer on cutting off that immediate gratification. Amazon especially keeps kicking back the ship date for weeks at a time, so it's incentivized us to stop buying a lot of random bullshit just to pass the time. Fucking Poshmark, though.
Yeah, we have a real Poshmark issue here too. Fucking Poshmark.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am Trying to build a coffee bar for my wife, when I get out in the garage. Making it solely from scrap wood I have or can find at my son's or father-in-law's. due to that, it is slow. Started listening to podcasts. My Favorite Murders has got me kind of hooked recently. Watching Ozark, 5 episodes in.
Just finished up the most recent season of Ozarks a few days ago. Usually I have pretty decent self-control when it comes to binge-watching something but it was near impossible with that show. Every episode ended on a cliffhanger so you get into that mode of thinking of, "I'll just watch 10 minutes of the next episode" and before you know it, another 40 minutes has gone by.

Personally though, it's giving me a Breaking Bad vibe where it feels there's no way out and they'll just be on a downward spiral for the rest of the series and I generally can't stand those shows. It's all about suspense, shock, and bleakness which keeps you engaged but overall is like a slow train wreck where you know the ending is going to be bad but you still can't look away. Really hope this one ends somewhat better.

Podcast-wise, I've recently been listening to "Voices of the First World War" which, as it sounds, is audio interviews with World War I veterans. In the 60's - 80's the Imperial War Museums and the BBC tried to interview as many veterans as possible to preserve their stories and first-hand accounts. Being a history fan, I just find it really cool to listen to especially given that all these guys are gone now.
wab
Mod

Man, I just can't get into Ozark. My wife and a lot of our friends love it.

Maybe it's because my parents had a house there until i was like 18 and we spent a lot of time in that area. But when I watch it, I'm like "yeah, that's not the Ozarks, it looks nothing like that" and I have a hard time with it.

It would be like having a movie set in Chicago, but the location is obviously Denver.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm Man, I just can't get into Ozark. My wife and a lot of our friends love it.

Maybe it's because my parents had a house there until i was like 18 and we spent a lot of time in that area. But when I watch it, I'm like "yeah, that's not the Ozarks, it looks nothing like that" and I have a hard time with it.

It would be like having a movie set in Chicago, but the location is obviously Denver.
Interesting. I wonder if it was actually filmed there or if they used another location.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Even though the show’s setting and namesake is in the Ozark mountains of Missouri, the “Ozark” filming locations actually take place in Georgia. Those heart-stopping bluffs, yawning lakes, and dense forests are all shots straight from the Peach State.
https://thedyrt.com/magazine/local/ozar ... s-georgia/

I didn't know either.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:47 pm
Even though the show’s setting and namesake is in the Ozark mountains of Missouri, the “Ozark” filming locations actually take place in Georgia. Those heart-stopping bluffs, yawning lakes, and dense forests are all shots straight from the Peach State.
https://thedyrt.com/magazine/local/ozar ... s-georgia/

I didn't know either.
Yeah, it's distractingly obvious if you are familiar with the location. Every once in a while they'll show a shot of the Bagnell Dam but then nothing else goes with it.

I know that place like the back of my hand. One episode had a shot of the "downtown" area and I just couldn't get past it.
Xee
Site Admin

Well that sucks. The show made me think that the Ozarks would look like a cool place to visit some day. In your opinion, how does it compare to the Georgia locations they show in the series? Better? Worse?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Guess you will have to go to Georgia now.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

during all of this I have still been going on my daily walks ... don't see near as many people as I used to which is understandable ... but I have been seeing more animals, which I am guessing is due mainly to less people traffic along the trails

it is also notable how much quieter everything is ... empty ball fields and playgrounds

all feels pretty weird
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Saw that the movie theater industry made $5,000 or so last week, and that was mostly due to a streaming promotion from some theater in California.

This same week last year the theater industry made over $200,000,000.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm Well that sucks. The show made me think that the Ozarks would look like a cool place to visit some day. In your opinion, how does it compare to the Georgia locations they show in the series? Better? Worse?
The GA locations are quite a bit more majestic.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 am Saw that the movie theater industry made $5,000 or so last week, and that was mostly due to a streaming promotion from some theater in California.

I didn't think about that but that makes perfect sense they would be hit hard by lockdowns. Being packed into a room with a hundred strangers is not where you want to be now.

I remember a lot of theaters were pissed off at Scorsese's decision with Netflix to allow them to stream The Irishman only 30 days after it was released to theaters, since the agreed-upon window was usually 90 days. Some theaters were even threatening to not even show the movie at all. Guess any leverage they had is gone for the moment so I wonder if studios are now trying to work out deals with Netflix and other streamers to at least make some money.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm
UOK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 am Saw that the movie theater industry made $5,000 or so last week, and that was mostly due to a streaming promotion from some theater in California.

I didn't think about that but that makes perfect sense they would be hit hard by lockdowns. Being packed into a room with a hundred strangers is not where you want to be now.

I remember a lot of theaters were pissed off at Scorsese's decision with Netflix to allow them to stream The Irishman only 30 days after it was released to theaters, since the agreed-upon window was usually 90 days. Some theaters were even threatening to not even show the movie at all. Guess any leverage they had is gone for the moment so I wonder if studios are now trying to work out deals with Netflix and other streamers to at least make some money.
I think Universal is just releasing movies directly to Amazon. It's kind of expensive. Like $25 to rent I believe, but hell... it costs me like $200 to take the whole family to the movies once it's all said and done.

We are going to watch Onward tonight. It just released on Disney+
Wounded Bear
MVP

Caught the Covid a week ago. Burned up at nights with a 103 to 104 temperature for 6 nights in a row. Horrible sore throat with a lot of coughing, but my breathing and lungs never felt bad. Fortunately I'm in pretty decent shape from working out daily and running 6 miles of steep hills every other day which I think really helped in making the illness somewhat bearable. With that said, I had crazy fever dreams, early mornings hallucinations (people, shadow people, things moving in my peripheral, definitely very weird). Funny what a cooked brain will do.

Even though my appetite was out of control (which I usually have a real good appetite when I'm sick unless it's a stomach flu), I still lost weight from the fever and night sweats (yeah, pretty disgusting). The fevers rage at night and my bed was soaked every morning.

No one around me got infected. I'm a super clean guy, so I was literally walking around with a rag and a spritzer bottle of Spic N Span which supposedly kills 99.9% of the bacteria and viruses. I would wash my dishes in the dishwasher and whenever I used the kitchen sponge, I would throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds to kill all of the germs off of it (yeah, that really works).

Anyhow, I'm super fucking tired and weak now. In the aftermath of the illness I am sleeping anywhere from 12 to 15 hours a night and wanting to sleep more. That fever really whipped my ass. BTW, I didn't take any aspirin or ibuprofen, I just let the fever burn that crap out of me. Used tons of Chlorseptic spray for my throat - gargled with it. It worked.

That's my story.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
G08
Hall of Famer

@Wounded Bear

My immediate thought is that you're tired because your oxygen saturation levels are low. You should always be around 100%, if it falls below 95% it's a strong indication your lungs are struggling to absorb the oxygen your body requires (COVID-19 viciously attacks the lungs). Do me a favor and get that checked out if you're still feeling tired.

it's business as usual in the G08 household. Both wifey and I are in healthcare so we're on the front lines. Exposure risk is always on the forefront of our mind -- we have not received the PPE required to do this job safely (N95 masks, etc) so there is frustration from my staff that I am trying to manage on a daily basis. That being said, to anyone reading this, please please please stay in your house unless you absolutely need to go out. If you do, be smart, cough/sneeze into your arm. Metal door handles, etc, can hold the virus for up to 5 days, cardboard 24 hours, etc, so if you touch anything DO NOT bring your hands north of 90 degrees.

Be smart, wash your hands, use sanitizer, and again please avoid touching your face (rubbing eyes, nose, mouth, etc).

They're saying Illinois is supposed to spike this month, driving home from work into the city and I see idiots jogging in groups and walking/socializing their dogs with others. It's infuriating.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Peace to you and yours, @Wounded Bear.

And our gratitude for your work on the front lines, @G08.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: