Is trading next year's 1st too crazy to consider?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

If we were somehow able to trade next years 1st with this year's 50th overall to get into the late 20's in 2020 and pick up a later 2nd and a 4th would that be something that would be possible?
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

I just feel like we need to get some impact players this year and with only the two 2nds, I'm not sure we've got the draft capital to do it.
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
cblaz11
MVP

It wouldn’t shock me...Pace has done this before to grab Miller I believe.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The trade for Miller wasn't that bad (https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... -good-deal)

Trading a future 1st is bad business IMHO
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:06 am The trade for Miller wasn't that bad (https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... -good-deal)

Trading a future 1st is bad business IMHO
I see what you're saying but with all the uncertainty, why not gather some talent while there is recent play to evaluate players. If summer and fall are affected, what happens then...we may be in a weird place as far as player acquisition. Just some batshit stir crazy quarantine ideas..haha, hope everyone is safe and healthy
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I definitely would not put it past Pace. If he gets "conviction", all bets are off.

I'll give him some credit though, his most aggressive moves have been on impact positions. If he were to trade up into the first he's targeting a guy like Love at QB.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

MACKSMACK wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:33 pm If we were somehow able to trade next years 1st with this year's 50th overall to get into the late 20's in 2020 and pick up a later 2nd and a 4th would that be something that would be possible?
Is trading future picks possible?
Sure, Pace has done it many times

Is considering trading the 2021 first a good idea?
No. Pace & Nagy might not even be here in 2020 - bringing in a new regime shorthanded would suck.

Could a 2021 R1 + 50 get you a late R1 + late R2 + R4?
Not remotely. You might not be able to get more than a late R1 + R4.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Z Bear
MVP

Hell no... at some point you need to start using your draft picks wisely . I calll that not falling in love with someone and trading up to get them (Trubisky, Floyd, Miller, Montgomery). Trading 43 for a 3rd and 4th plus a 2nd next year makes more sense then trading next year's first for a first this year. You would have to give up next years first and 43 at a minimum (maybe even our 5th too) to get back into the first this year.
G08
Hall of Famer

There's a chance we will be drafting a QB in the first round in 2021. We would be stupid to trade that pick this year, IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

It's not a great overall draft, so no. The best value-to-talent ratio in this draft is right where the Bears pick.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Our 2 seconds are enough to get us into the 20s of the first round. Next years picks could be packaged to garner more later round picks this year, but I doubt Pace has the green light to trade the first round 2021.

Pace is probably on a warm to hot seat depending on where we finish as a team. So I believe that this draft will reflect a win now approach with our early picks; we will target players that can be impact players at their position on the Bears.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

On paper, the Bears don't have a ton of holes.

Defense: Sure, you could argue that they need an upgrade at SS and there's some youth opposite Fuller at corner. But other than that - and maybe some minor depth needs at LB and DL - the Bears are pretty set.

Offense: Like it or not, QB is set for 2020. They could maybe use a speed WR (they do have Davis and Wesley on the roster). The line seems ok for at least a year with Ifedi a starting caliber guard. Spriggs could conceivably be a swing OT and emergency guard. TE at least has bodies. You could argue a 4th RB is needed.

We may not love the players, but holes are filled at least.

Still, there's not much of a drop-off in draft talent between pick 20 and pick 50...so I'd be against trading into R1 unless someone is really falling (Tua, Herbert, one of the top 5 tackles, Kinlaw, Chaisson etc).
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am We may not love the players, but holes are filled at least.
I agree with your post for the most part...but this comment here could literally be applied to every single NFL team, present past or future. Every team has a full roster. In the offseason, over full. Every position has multiple bodies. This would be like saying, "We don't have a need at defensive coordinator because we have Mel Tucker there already". Yea, there's technically a person in that position, but the fact that he sucks is kinda the whole point.

Loving the players (i.e., having good ones) is entirely the problem we need to deal with in the draft, as well as looking into the future with current contracts and aging players and forecasting future areas of need.

So to me, we have holes:

OL because both of our tackles are below average, and our starting RG is very iffy, and we have a bare cupboard for developmental prospects.

QB because we basically have our two guys on what amounts to one year deals right now. If either one has a great year we will have a hard time resigning them. If neither has a great year we can move on but then have a need at QB.

WR because we don't really have a bonafide WR2 on the roster, ARob's contract is almost up, and the couple guys who are up for that WR2 job (Wims, Riley) are A) unproven and B) not the speed type receiver this offense needs. And if we put Miller there, then we just create a new hole at slot.

TE because Graham is our #1 and he's both old and only on a 2 year deal, and there's very little behind him that can play the receiving TE role that he'll play.

CB because we are currently projecting a UDFA as our CB2, with a CFL guy as primary backup.

SS because we are currently projecting Deion Bush as our starter...ugh. Which says everything that needs to be said about who's BEHIND him on the depth chart.

I agree completely that we shouldn't be trading up into the 1st. We can add two good players at 43 and 50 in any of these need areas. My gut says CB/WR, my heart is hoping for OL/QB.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

For the record - I don't think either of our OT are below average

But that's more a comment on Tackle play in the league generally
wulfy
MVP

If Pace is on The Hot Seat (I personally don't think he is, but regardless ....), he might not be given leeway to trade next year's first. You can only continue to kick the can down the road for so long.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Trading next year's picks would be ESPECIALLY dumb this year, because you know significantly less about this year's guys (interviews and medicals) than you presumably will have about draftables next year. I predict that the value of next year's picks in trade compared to this year's will be exorbitantly high.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:57 pm For the record - I don't think either of our OT are below average

I think they both played below average last season. But they have also performed better previously, so there's hope they have a better 2020. I know most people solely judge OT's on pass pro, but our running game was atrocious and they had a big part to play in that failure (as did every other interior lineman, even Whitehair)
dplank
Hall of Famer

Jalen Hurts draft comp is Dak Prescott....nice.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/stor ... er-matches
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 pm Trading next year's picks would be ESPECIALLY dumb this year, because you know significantly less about this year's guys (interviews and medicals) than you presumably will have about draftables next year. I predict that the value of next year's picks in trade compared to this year's will be exorbitantly high.
Correct

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:18 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:57 pm For the record - I don't think either of our OT are below average

I think they both played below average last season. But they have also performed better previously, so there's hope they have a better 2020. I know most people solely judge OT's on pass pro, but our running game was atrocious and they had a big part to play in that failure (as did every other interior lineman, even Whitehair)
I've posted the stats elsewhere, but the run game got noticeably better when Massie sat and Lucas played.

otis
Pro Bowler

Mikefive wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 pm Trading next year's picks would be ESPECIALLY dumb this year, because you know significantly less about this year's guys (interviews and medicals) than you presumably will have about draftables next year. I predict that the value of next year's picks in trade compared to this year's will be exorbitantly high.
it seems like it might be a good year to not have a 1st if you had to pick a year. with no nterviews or workouts there might be a lot of busts.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

During R1, no trades for 2021 picks, so far.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.