2020 NFL Draft General Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kmet will provide more impact than any of the other scrub TEs on the roster. He is the TE they need in this offense. We need playmakers, he can be one from this position. Bears need to score points, this pick helps.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

donkeykong wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:09 pm That gives us 10 TE’s on the roster. We really needed that right this minute?
Most the TEs of that 10 are junk.

A little underwhelmed by Kmet, but if he hits the high ends of his scouting report it would be a big deal for the O. Hoping for the best.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

What about Jaylon Johnson CB from Utah? No idea about him. Didn’t even read or see him listed this high.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think we absolutely needed another TE, especially after the Burton cut.

But I'm neutral/lukewarm about Kmet at 43. I'd agree he's probably the best TE. There's a huge difference in draft value between 43 and R3-4 and I'm not at all sure that the difference between Kmet and TEs you could get in R3-4 is all that big.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Johnson seems like he has a good profile, but hopefully the shoulder injury isn't a serious thing.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I've been saying all along that CB2 is (excluding QB) the position I have the least confidence in, so I understand the JJ pick. Especially in a draft supposedly really good at corner.

But for the sake of helping the QB(s) and getting that settled, I would have been more inclined to trade down and go OL + WR.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 pm I think we absolutely needed another TE, especially after the Burton cut.

But I'm neutral/lukewarm about Kmet at 43. I'd agree he's probably the best TE. There's a huge difference in draft value between 43 and R3-4 and I'm not at all sure that the difference between Kmet and TEs you could get in R3-4 is all that big.
I disagree.

Kmet is a demonstrably better athlete than almost every other TE in the draft (he's behind enigma Albert Okwuebunam and red flag magnet CJ O'Grady, but that's it). He's already head and shoulders better than anyone they have on the roster not named Jimmy Graham.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

And I have zero issue with Jaylon Johnson, who has Day 1 talent.
KFFL refugee.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 pm I've been saying all along that CB2 is (excluding QB) the position I have the least confidence in, so I understand the JJ pick. Especially in a draft supposedly really good at corner.

But for the sake of helping the QB(s) and getting that settled, I would have been more inclined to trade down and go OL + WR.
If he can find the right trade partner and a price comparable to the Montgomery and Miller moves, I'd be in favor of moving into the 3rd by using a 2021 pick.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

So best case scenario, Kmet plays behind Graham for a year, then we can move Graham.

Then Johnson can either win the job opposite Fuller, or play slot for a year if they want to move on from Skrine.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Not what I would have done with the picks given who was available, but hopefully they both end up being good players for us.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 pm Not what I would have done with the picks given who was available, but hopefully they both end up being good players for us.
Neither are head scratchers, IMO. Just gotta give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. They're Bears now, so I'm rooting for them!
BR0D1E86
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:00 pm
BR0D1E86 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 pm Not what I would have done with the picks given who was available, but hopefully they both end up being good players for us.
Neither are head scratchers, IMO. Just gotta give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. They're Bears now, so I'm rooting for them!
I agree, both are picks that made sense. I just thought that there were better players available.. mainly the Kmet pick. I'd have rather picked several players in that spot (Delpit, Epenesa, Claypool, Josh Jones, maybe a trade back for Cushenbery off the top of my head, maybe some others).

I'm all in on him now though, hoping for both picks to hit big.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I love the Johnson pick but the Kmet pick out lots of pressure on Pace to find some gems late in the draft. it’s possible: guard and safety are historically available late. The wr depth might save him there... tomorrow will be big for our team and an afterthought for other teams
xyt in the discord chats
Z Bear
MVP

Pace took the best offensive player on the board at 43 and the best DB on his board at 50. I know some of us had differnet choices, but that was the best value with our picls. Both will be big contribtuors their rookie seasons baring health so this is as good as we could of asked for. I would of rather gone Mims and Chin, but both the guys we gotare extemely solid prospects and improve the team.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm He's already head and shoulders better than anyone they have on the roster not named Jimmy Graham.
I don't disagree but also think it's a dubious honor.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wanted Josh Jones or Cleveland. The Kmet pick shows to me Pace is in a win now mode. He picked a player who will likely have a roll in this offense early.

Johnson was a great pick.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Eagles take K'Von Wallace. Too bad, I would've liked to see him in navy and orange.
KFFL refugee.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

this draft certainly validates my belief that the bears do not think the OL is anywhere near as bad as fans do.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Lions take Jason Huntley. I liked Huntley as a backup/KR guy, but not before some of the other backs out there. Very rich for me.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Sweet, the Patriots have now drafted two players (Rohrwasser and Maluia) I've never heard of.
KFFL refugee.

makaur
Pro Bowler

RustyTrubisky wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:02 pm this draft certainly validates my belief that the bears do not think the OL is anywhere near as bad as fans do.
...which is weird, because I didn't think the Packers OL needs were anywhere close to ours.

As I'm writing this, the Pukes have drafted 3 OL players (2 G's and 1 C). Whether those players make the team or not is not relevant right now. They're drafting their needs whereas Ryan Pace is probably wondering if he can move up to draft the best available ball boy.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 pm I've been saying all along that CB2 is (excluding QB) the position I have the least confidence in, so I understand the JJ pick. Especially in a draft supposedly really good at corner.

Tip of the cap to you.

I was wrong on their thoughts of Toliver.

But maybe I could still be right about him. Stay tuned...
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

If the 2 7ths are J.R. REED and Juilian Good-Jones I would be happy.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I hope Binjimen Victor is one of our picks. Basically another Javon Wims, a go up and get it guy, but hell. I like him, so why not?
makaur
Pro Bowler

Holy crap.....two G's in the 7th round. Nice size on both but I wonder if they're any good.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Arlington Hambright is a former JUCO kid who came to Colorado as a grad transfer from Oklahoma State. Has like 17 starts between the two at LT, but his arm length probably says G. Had a nice pro day before they shut them all down.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

I don't know much at all about Lachavious Simmons except that he played in this year's Hula Bowl. His school profile page says he's started at LT, RT, and G, and that he's an honor roll kid.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:14 pm I don't know much at all about Lachavious Simmons except that he played in this year's Hula Bowl. His school profile page says he's started at LT, RT, and G, and that he's an honor roll kid.
I watched one highlight video. The dude is an evil man on the football field. Granted, it’s against a bunch of nobodies...
wab
Mod

The packers had an awful draft. I liked the three exterior guys they picked, but the interior of their line wasn’t the problem.

Rodgers literally has one weapon on the edge.