Rd2, P43: TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Discuss
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Feels like a high-floor pick that solidifies a position that has been in flux really since the stupid Olsen trade. Some people think he has some upside because he’s been distracted by baseball but I sorta think we know what he is. He should be a reliable second tier TE who makes an occasional big play.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

As a 'U' TE I fucking hate this.

As a 'Y' TE, this is a solid pick. Really depends on how the offense takes shape moving forward.
Last edited by G08 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Interesting story. Backed up Alize Mack last year, but played better than he did this year. Checks every box. Size, athleticism, natural pass catcher, and he blocks. Not sexy, but a solid pick.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

#1 rated TE in the draft. I'm okay with it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I've watched a couple games of tape on him. He's a classic 2-way, 3 down TE.

- Bigger than average TE body.
- Blocks very well most of the time.
- Moves fairly well, but not particularly elusive.
- Can run by LBs and make contested catches.
- Catches with his hands.
- Not a target ND really leans on in their offense.
- Knows how to find holes in zones, which will really help when 10 is in there.
- In pre-snap motion most of the time.
- Gets lost when plays break down instead of adjusting his route or looking for someone to block.

I agree that he's not a sexy pick. Will play early as he can block and will help the run game. I wonder if his skill in the pass game may take some time to develop in the NFL as he wasn't "man among boys" elusive at ND. Looks to me like a high floor, middlin' ceiling guy. Doesn't look to me like he'll be a dominant NFL receiver.

Not that excited about the pick, although I understand it and like TEs who can block. Just don't see Kelce or Gronk potential in him. Should play a lot and be a consistent, if not overwhelming player.

Hope I'm wrong and he's Gronk tho.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Pace wanted to prove that Shaheen was not a fluke. He can waste a 2nd round pick on a TE any time, any place.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

Solid pick. Especially since the next TE went 40 picks later. The bears had a need in a weak TE draft and didn't wait around to fill it.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Not my favorite pick. I certainly don't hate it, but there were a not insignificant number of players I preferred that were available.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Predictable safe pick at a need position, and I’m fine with that. Looked a little slow in the highlights IMO. Near consensus best TE in the draft, hard to complain.

I think it’s Graham, Kmet, Harris, and Holtz. Shaheen and Braunecker are gone, saving 2.6M. We have the ability to sign a S if we want.
wab
Mod

I’m a giant ND fan. And while I’m cool with this, I would have preferred Claypool due to the higher ceiling.

Still, he was a good pick for a team needing stability at TE. He’s going to be able to do everything Nagy wants from his TE.

As a player, Kmet is almost a carbon copy of Martellus Bennett.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pace just said that Kmet is going to be utilized as a 'Y' TE, which makes me feel better. It also tells me we're going to be running a lot of 12 personnel.

X - Robinson, Mims
Z - Miller, Ridley
U - Graham, Horsted
Y - Kmet, Harris

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, I mean he’s basically a receiver. Learning from Graham is a hell of a utility, too. I’m fine with the pick.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:24 pm Predictable safe pick at a need position, and I’m fine with that. Looked a little slow in the highlights IMO. Near consensus best TE in the draft, hard to complain.

I think it’s Graham, Kmet, Harris, and Holtz. Shaheen and Braunecker are gone, saving 2.6M. We have the ability to sign a S if we want.
Depth wise that's basically 3 Y-TE and 1 U-TE. I'd say Horsted or Raymond has a chance, although they'll obviously have the PS as well.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I think the most overrated players are anyone who scores double digits by default on horrible Knicks teams and anyone who shows any ability on ND teams that maybe play 3 legit teams a year.

Did not like reaching for what recently became thought of by some as best TE in a weak TE draft. Felt like Pace outbid himself again. Basically felt like the crotch kick of waking up in middle of night in Stuttgart to find we drafted Trubisky. Winfield thereafter further enraged.

A little bit of time and he looks more athletic (not special) than I thought originally. Happy he is a Bears fan which is nice story and seems like good kid. Maybe the mentoring under Graham helps and was part of the plan all the time. Still not happy and don't see the upside but will root like crazy for him.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
WP.1
Player of the Month

hmm

here: can block

3 long time draft guys: can not block
spudbear
MVP

While I did not specifically say he was "my guy" I had hoped the Bears would draft him since seeing him play last year. I believe he can be the franchise TE for this decade. No, he may not be an All-Pro but he has the measurables to be a solid contributor and at least an above average NFL TE. I did call for him yesterday morning: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14264#p238550

What Pace has done with the TE position is somewhat simiilar to what he did a few years ago at QB: dump the starter, find a vet FA (maybe overpay? :( ) and use your top pick at the position of need. At least he didn't trade up for Kmet. Yeah, there were some good safeties on the board and Bears still could use some help on OL. It looks like Kmet was Pace's guy from the start.

At least Graham has a much better proven track record than nonGlen, and can hopefully mentor Kmet.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
cblaz11
MVP

WP.1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:24 am hmm

Watch a game...he’s raw 21 year old prospect. That said, there’s effort to his blocking which is more then you can say for other TEs coming out.

Big body, physical, great catch radius and doesn’t go down easy. There were some times he took big hits and just shrugged them off. I think he’s got long term starter potential. Honestly...I know it sounds like a lazy comp, but he’s got a lot of Marty Bennet to his game.

wulfy
MVP

Very good pick - there is no question we are playing a ton of 12 Personnel this year - this offense is going to look a lot like Phillly.
G08
Hall of Famer

Some more information that has since helped calm my ass down... in 2019 the Bears were in 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends, two wide receivers) 13% of their plays which was 3rd LOWEST in the NFL.

In contrast, the Eagles were 1st in the league and the Chiefs were 5th. Those are the two offenses in the NFL that mirror our offense the closest.

IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:37 pm Pace just said that Kmet is going to be utilized as a 'Y' TE, which makes me feel better. It also tells me we're going to be running a lot of 12 personnel.

X - Robinson, Mims
Z - Miller, Ridley
U - Graham, Horsted
Y - Kmet, Harris
That's a fine looking group in my book. I do wonder if they're going to turn Holtz into a FB. He's pretty effective at it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think Nagy was trying to “extend” the offense even further, and he went too far. It was just too much. He’s realized that and is coming back to the root/core concepts from Reid. I’m really happy with this. We will find a safety, there’s still vets available that we can afford if we aren’t happy with draft prospects.

Horsted is not an NFL player IMO.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 am
Did not like reaching for what recently became thought of by some as best TE in a weak TE draft.
Weak at the top. But strong in the middle.
Which I why I wonder if drafting at the top instead of midrounds was the right call.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:15 am Some more information that has since helped calm my ass down... in 2019 the Bears were in 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends, two wide receivers) 13% of their plays which was 3rd LOWEST in the NFL.

In contrast, the Eagles were 1st in the league and the Chiefs were 5th. Those are the two offenses in the NFL that mirror our offense the closest.
Using 2 TEs or even 3 is great when you have Ertz, Goedert, Kittle and the boys... but the Bear cupboard was bare last year. They really had nobody to put out there and count on, and that sucked.

It's a real shame that you just know that guys like Shaheen and Burton were getting all the reps (along with Braunecker, who is decent but then was dinged). So those young guys weren't prepared and I actually was encouraged how they played considering.

I'm now VERY bullish on the Bear TE group. Graham, Kmet and Holtz, with Harris on the shelf and Horsted in development. Weakness became strength!
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:37 am
WP.1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:24 am hmm

Watch a game...he’s raw 21 year old prospect. That said, there’s effort to his blocking which is more then you can say for other TEs coming out.

Big body, physical, great catch radius and doesn’t go down easy. There were some times he took big hits and just shrugged them off. I think he’s got long term starter potential. Honestly...I know it sounds like a lazy comp, but he’s got a lot of Marty Bennet to his game.

Effort and willingness to block is there, which is good. Leverage, technique, fundamentals, etc definitely needs work.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah I should say Holtz, Horsted or even Dax Raymond at the U potentially.
I like Holz as a FB as well.

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 am Horsted is not an NFL player IMO.
I mean technically, he IS an NFL player. But then again so is Shaheen -so point taken. lol

I really hope he develops and plays. He's smart and a good athlete but also seems really competitive. I like what he says in this article, and maybe he is genuinely competitive enough to follow through on what he says he needs to do.

There are guys that are "natural" NFL players, and then there are the guys who put in the work. He's going to have to put in the work to build strength and technique - but he has the athleticism, frame and head for it. I'm cheering for the guy because I like the story and I like guys that can make circus catches on the regular.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears ... 141578857/