Rd5, P163: CB Kindle Vildor, Georgia Southern

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:57 pm ....still no OL.

I'm starting to think that Ryan Pace is a Packers fan.
Holy shit! Mak sighting! I remember you.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
makaur
Pro Bowler

IE wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:12 pm Holy shit! Mak sighting! I remember you.
I come back every now and then. Just don’t have the time to contribute the way I used to.
IE
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:26 am
IE wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:12 pm Holy shit! Mak sighting! I remember you.
I come back every now and then. Just don’t have the time to contribute the way I used to.
Yeah - I disappeared for a few years, and was really busy. But not traveling as much as I used to. Working from home and the hours are like a blur. So this and social media are a good distraction and escape from that grind.

Good to hear your take!
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:28 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:18 pm

In round 5, they really ought to be mutually exclusive. The reason not to like the pick is usually built on shaky logic in these instances.

So what's your logic?
The reason is because they already have like 6 developmental corners, and there were talented offensive lineman still available.

I legitimately don’t give a shit if you think my logic is shaky or not. I like the player. I didn’t think that particular puck made sense given the overall circumstances and available players and positions where depth is an issue.

At the end of the day it’s a 5th round pick. Yay.
Well said. I feel the same way with all the other CBs on roster and the Oline screaming for attention.
makaur
Pro Bowler

IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am Yeah - I disappeared for a few years, and was really busy. But not traveling as much as I used to. Working from home and the hours are like a blur. So this and social media are a good distraction and escape from that grind.

Good to hear your take!
I’d really like to hang out more but I’m typically exhausted after a long day, then I have to deal with family stuff and then it’s bedtime before I even know it.

I actually logged on to get some more info on our draft picks but then I see Pace doing the same stuff over and over...so I revert back to my old ranting ways. :frustrated:
IE
Hall of Famer

I get all the oline comments and agree that is a big deal. I just think the mistakes he made were legacy - paying those OTs before last year and assuming they were kind of set for a while. It really tied his hands this off-season, so I understand why he did what he did (and didn't do).

I think the middle will be a lot better this year with LG and C sticking where they are and a more legit plug at RG. We'll see I guess.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am I get all the oline comments and agree that is a big deal. I just think the mistakes he made were legacy - paying those OTs before last year and assuming they were kind of set for a while. It really tied his hands this off-season, so I understand why he did what he did (and didn't do).
The FA tackle market has a lot to do with why he gave those deals to Leno and Massie. But the tackle market tends to be tough always. So I think they likely need to invest a high pick in a OT soon. Thing is outside of Rd1, tackles usually are at least a year of development through the draft. So even if they used next year's second for an OT, that's probably more of a 2022 stater (at least a reliable one).

So maybe you keep whoever looks better of Leno/Massie for 2021 and role the cap savings of cutting the other into the best FA tackle you can get, plus draft another OT within the first 3 rounds to be a backup in 2021 and then replace the other spot in 2022 (or if it's a 1st round tackle, perhaps start right away and one of Leno/Massie becomes an expensive 1 year backup).

As for 2020, hope for a rebound for Leno (he did stabilize a lot after the bye, so if they got that Leno for the whole year I think they'll be fine). Massie didn't drop off really, but everyone else falling off just really highlighted his deficiencies that were there, so he's just gonna more be a byproduct of how well the rest of the line plays.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah -I think the key to this season is the core of the OL... so having the good LG and C back in the right place and at least an average guy at RG and that alone will improve things.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am I get all the oline comments and agree that is a big deal. I just think the mistakes he made were legacy - paying those OTs before last year and assuming they were kind of set for a while. It really tied his hands this off-season, so I understand why he did what he did (and didn't do).

I think the middle will be a lot better this year with LG and C sticking where they are and a more legit plug at RG. We'll see I guess.
It sounds like you're seeing complaints about OL and assuming they mean T, but that's not my interpretation.

When I complain about (not) drafting OL, I'm talking interior. (Sure, I'd like better Ts, but between their contracts, existing draft capital, other needs, and win now mentality, it pretty clearly wasn't viable, IMO.) And that's what I think other people mean, too.

Ifedi might be good. But there's no interior depth. And even, best case, if Ifedi is good and all 3 of them stay healthy all year (good luck with that), he's then positioned to be a FA who's going to cost a lot next year.

T, you've got to just ride out 1 more year and then see where you're at. Most likely replacing Massie, one way or another.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

OK yeah I hear you. If Ifedi is bad and Spriggs can't do it and Coward doesn't improve and Bars can't fill in... then that's bad. But would a draft pick really be a certainty?

Heck - we may not be done with this discussion. There could still be a trade or signing at RG.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

If Ifedi is good - great we get a year out of him then a Compensatory pick

The 2 7ths could very easily be ready to play RG in a years time