New proposal to incentivize minority hires

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

New Rooney Rule enhancements to be propsed:

Cliff notes:
Stop the ability for teams to block assistant coaches from "bona fide" coordinator roles
Draft comp for minority hires at GM/HC and coordinator levels AND QB coaches
Extend Rooney rule for coordinator roles
Possibly double the required number of minority candidates for GM/HC roles.

https://www.nfl.com/news/owners-to-vote ... c-gm-hires

Not sure the draft comp will incentivize teams but I think allowing coaches to interview for coordinator spots is a good move, as well as extending the Rooney rule to coordinator rules (even though there will inevitably be some grey areas there)
Richie
MVP

I don't like the idea of the draft pick comp. That seems absurd, to be honest. Bribing teams with better draft picks to hire a certain color of coach. Facilitate? Yes. Straight up dangle a carrot in front of their face? No.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm I don't like the idea of the draft pick comp. That seems absurd, to be honest. Bribing teams with better draft picks to hire a certain color of coach. Facilitate? Yes. Straight up dangle a carrot in front of their face? No.
I don't even think it's particularly good bribery. It won't influence teams, but EVERY minority candidate will get media questions and face doubt about their fitness based on the perception. Just seems like the payoff isn't even big enough for the downsides.
Richie
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:03 pm
Richie wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm I don't like the idea of the draft pick comp. That seems absurd, to be honest. Bribing teams with better draft picks to hire a certain color of coach. Facilitate? Yes. Straight up dangle a carrot in front of their face? No.
I don't even think it's particularly good bribery. It won't influence teams, but EVERY minority candidate will get media questions and face doubt about their fitness based on the perception. Just seems like the payoff isn't even big enough for the downsides.
Very valid point.

Teams won't be willing to sacrifice their future at GM or HC over moving up a few spots in the 3rd round. However, it WILL create a stir around the hire itself and ignorant people may try to delegitimize it.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

All the proposals that were not draft comp related passed. None of the draft comp rules were passed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/291 ... incentives

Of note, the FO requirement is far ranging and includes senior non football roles like marketing/IT. And it's specified female applicants would meet the criteria as well.