Good Read from SI: Bears Virtual QB Room

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/18/matt- ... rback-room

Some good nuggets in here, especially about how attention to detail was lost last season (makes sense with Nagy trying to cram every play he could into the off-season).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:26 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/18/matt- ... rback-room

Some good nuggets in here, especially about how attention to detail was lost last season (makes sense with Nagy trying to cram every play he could into the off-season).
I didn't read the article yet, but will say that's a pretty good high level description of what I thought about a lot of the problems we saw last year. The blocking, detail, the RB picking the right spot, people not being where they were probably expected to be, etc. What I've always been wondering about this is, what did they see in practice? Didn't that expose whether the team was prepared & ready to execute? Or was there something they were doing in practice that presented them with an unrealistic view/ status of their preparedness? The gulf between what we heard about how they were practicing and what we saw was just enormous.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

Good read. It gives me some confidence about the team for the season, I guess, but mostly it reaffirms to me that the coaching staff isn't some junk heap of losers. Nagy is a GOOD coach who loves the game.
G08
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 am
G08 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:26 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/18/matt- ... rback-room

I didn't read the article yet, but will say that's a pretty good high level description of what I thought about a lot of the problems we saw last year. The blocking, detail, the RB picking the right spot, people not being where they were probably expected to be, etc. What I've always been wondering about this is, what did they see in practice? Didn't that expose whether the team was prepared & ready to execute? Or was there something they were doing in practice that presented them with an unrealistic view/ status of their preparedness? The gulf between what we heard about how they were practicing and what we saw was just enormous.
Nagy went for volume over mastery. Threw a bunch of shit at the wall to see what would stick, which is an awful approach for a QB who is a self-admitted "reps guy".

I'm not asking for the offense to be bland/basic/predictable, but there is a fine line between overwhelming your players and running a Mike Tice playbook. Nagy and Friends need to find that balance.

Awesome as well to read that Lazor/DeFilippo/Castillo were calling out Nagy's 2019 plays/schemes as shit and it was pissing him off :lol:

G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 am Good read. It gives me some confidence about the team for the season, I guess, but mostly it reaffirms to me that the coaching staff isn't some junk heap of losers. Nagy is a GOOD coach who loves the game.
I love Matt Nagy as a head coach and leader. He's young in his role -- extremely -- but he has no ego and simply wants what is best for the team.

I'll also echo the article in that his ability to keep the team together during that losing streak last season was masterful. Granted, Pace is bringing in players with high football character, but still that is an excellent job of managing personnel.

Z Bear
MVP

I think Matt Nagy is a much better coach than offensive coordinator. I hope he figures out it takes a lot to run a team and still call plays then hands the play calling off to Lazor at some point this season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: I think Matt Nagy is a much better coach than offensive coordinator. I hope he figures out it takes a lot to run a team and still call plays then hands the play calling off to Lazor at some point this season.
That ain't happening.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thx for sharing, great read. I love that Nagy was looking for more people to challenge him, says a lot about his leadership IMO.
Z Bear
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 am
Z Bear wrote: I think Matt Nagy is a much better coach than offensive coordinator. I hope he figures out it takes a lot to run a team and still call plays then hands the play calling off to Lazor at some point this season.
That ain't happening.

If the offense looks like it did last year he better do something or else he will be out of a coaching job. I am sure he would be much better at game situational awareness if he hands off the duties. To me he has been a little suspect in the challenges, timeouts, etc.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I dunno, he seemed like a good play caller his first year. Then it seemed like the league caught up to him and he recognized that, so he brought in new voices to challenge his thinking. This all sounds right to me. I'm willing to give him another shot at playcalling, it's what he was brought here for so why take that away after one rough season, riddled with injuries up front and piss poor qb play?
G08
Hall of Famer

Make sure the offensive line is flawless in their execution and responsibilities, this is in both the pass game and run game.

Make sure your WRs/TEs are precise in their route running, they HAVE to be where the QB expects them to me when he expects them to be there 100% of the time.

Hammer out those two components and you're halfway there, IMO.

IE
Hall of Famer

I'll guess he got so caught up in the Nagy 2.0 hype that he felt like he had to demonstrate genius instead of growing competence. I can understand it. He clearly over-thought and tried to out-think the other team instead of just playing to his team's strengths and trusting them to win battles in more straight-forward way.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm I'll guess he got so caught up in the Nagy 2.0 hype that he felt like he had to demonstrate genius instead of growing competence. I can understand it. He clearly over-thought and tried to out-think the other team instead of just playing to his team's strengths and trusting them to win battles in more straight-forward way.
This is my primary beef with Chuck Pagano. He has the horses to win man to man, but still tries to outsmart people.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:14 pm
IE wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:30 pm I'll guess he got so caught up in the Nagy 2.0 hype that he felt like he had to demonstrate genius instead of growing competence. I can understand it. He clearly over-thought and tried to out-think the other team instead of just playing to his team's strengths and trusting them to win battles in more straight-forward way.
This is my primary beef with Chuck Pagano. He has the horses to win man to man, but still tries to outsmart people.
I thought he was fairly "bland" last season compared to what he did as DC in Baltimore.

I think we might see some more chaos (in a good way) defensively this season.

IE
Hall of Famer

One thing that has kept me going the past few months is excitement over watching the Bear D this fall. I keep telling myself "there's no way there's going to be a season" because if I don't manage my own expectations I might drive off a cliff or something if it doesn't happen. Figuratively speaking. So reverse psychology with the universe... There is NO WAY there is going to be a season. No effing way.