I think we should sign Antonio Brown

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

....there, I said it....

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion and that's ok. But I think Brown would come to a team for a vet minimum deal just to reestablish himself as a viable NFL player, so our risk would be very low financially. I also think he's been seriously humbled by what's happened over the past year and is smart enough to know that he needs to get back in to the game, and stay drama free, if he's going to rescuscitate what was a great career.

I welcome your abuse.

Umbali
MVP

1. Humbled? That would be a huge leap of faith. However possibly seeing the personal benefit of behaving..maybe.

2. Ownership wouldnt go for it. Character issues are a big no no.

3. Doubt he is the right person to throw into a QB battle lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude. No. AB is out of his fucking mind.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm ....there, I said it....

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion and that's ok. But I think Brown would come to a team for a vet minimum deal just to reestablish himself as a viable NFL player, so our risk would be very low financially. I also think he's been seriously humbled by what's happened over the past year and is smart enough to know that he needs to get back in to the game, and stay drama free, if he's going to rescuscitate what was a great career.

I welcome your abuse.

Tell me you don't really think that? I would believe Chase Daniel is the Greatest QB of all time before I believe Antonion Brown would sign for anything less than a max deal.
:rofl: :raspberry: :frustrated: :frustrated:

I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Umbali wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:15 pm 1. Humbled? That would be a huge leap of faith. However possibly seeing the personal benefit of behaving..maybe.

2. Ownership wouldnt go for it. Character issues are a big no no.

3. Doubt he is the right person to throw into a QB battle lol.
Here's one of his issues, full display.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wsvn.com/n ... -home/amp/
Wounded Bear
MVP

I want to see a real attempt to upgrade our offensive line before we add anyone else. We couldn’t run the ball to save our lives last year and our only solution is to add Germain Ifedi?

If we don't make any more moves to improve the oline, we will be in big trouble next year and will be lucky to hit an 8-8 season.

Regarding Antonio Brown, I think everyone deserves a second chance. I would want to meet with him first to see where his head was at and I would want a sweetheart deal. If he didn't show humility and agree to a sweetheart deal, I would know he hadn't learned a thing and kick him to the curb.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

No thanks.

AB is legit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
otis
Pro Bowler

i thought part of the problem with signing ab is that once a team signs him then the nfl gets back to the business of punishing him. so even if we did sign him there's a good chance he doesn't get to play until goodell suspends him for however many games he deems is a message.
dplank
Hall of Famer

otis wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 am i thought part of the problem with signing ab is that once a team signs him then the nfl gets back to the business of punishing him. so even if we did sign him there's a good chance he doesn't get to play until goodell suspends him for however many games he deems is a message.
Oh, well if so then I'd want no parts of it. Also, agree with the take that we should focus on OL first, Warford is still out there. Wanna fix the short yardage rushing problem? He'd do it.
Richie
MVP

Well, there's no such thing as "humbled" with Antonio Brown. He's mentally ill. So, it would be a question of whether or not he is seeking/receiving help.

If he is and somebody credible (a clinical psychologist) can vouch for credible progress? Uh... I still don't know. However, I suppose it would be intriguing.
Richie
MVP

otis wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 am i thought part of the problem with signing ab is that once a team signs him then the nfl gets back to the business of punishing him. so even if we did sign him there's a good chance he doesn't get to play until goodell suspends him for however many games he deems is a message.
I mean, would the NFL really suspend him for the truck driver thing? I don't know. I don't think it would be that long.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I can make a Helluva WR corps with me, me, me divas who some would classify as insane - or other off the field issues

I Don't think he'd sign for the minimum - though he won't get what he could have gotten

I Co-Sign this Dplank

*I also don't think you need him truly humbled - just say the right things at the Presser - get a Vet good guy to speak up for you (He's changed, everyone deserves a 2nd chance, yadda yadda) - Usually Tony Dungy is down

If you want to - hire a guardian /quasi chaperone - That doesn't count against the Cap
GSH
MVP

never gonna happen. not even if he offered to sign for mitch's old toyota corolla and a bag of used danny t jockstraps.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

At this point AB finds himself in the same category as Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson (mid career version where he was still talented but goofy) and to a lesser extent, Brandon Marshall. All 4 of these guys are/were talented beyond belief, but teams just had to make a choice if the talent was worth the headache.

Besides the moving truck incident, AB has been accused of sexual misconduct and could be legit insane (unless he was very calculated in his public acting out to get away from the Raiders).

You would need so many ways to terminate the contract for any and all off field behavior, and get favorable numbers that only paid after AB delivered. Anything you give him before you might not get back, even if he is allowed to play by the league.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:23 pm At this point AB finds himself in the same category as Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson (mid career version where he was still talented but goofy) and to a lesser extent, Brandon Marshall. All 4 of these guys are/were talented beyond belief, but teams just had to make a choice if the talent was worth the headache.

Besides the moving truck incident, AB has been accused of sexual misconduct and could be legit insane (unless he was very calculated in his public acting out to get away from the Raiders).

You would need so many ways to terminate the contract for any and all off field behavior, and get favorable numbers that only paid after AB delivered. Anything you give him before you might not get back, even if he is allowed to play by the league.
How much of that is PR v. being a WR generally (Diva mentality)

Irving has myriad off the season issues - Marvin Harrison might have killed a guy (or at least shot one?)

* I felt the Raiders thing was an Act - Magically when he went to New England the Helmet was fine, etc. The Sexual Assault accusation though - Super troubling

But on the plus side - you don't have to worry about the guy getting CTE because it doesnt matter
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

You're drunk go to bed
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

GSH wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:22 pm never gonna happen. not even if he offered to sign for mitch's old toyota corolla and a bag of used danny t jockstraps.
Well if AB threw in a box of tacos and some Hostess fruit pies that could swing the tide?
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:32 am You're drunk go to bed
This :cheer:
wulfy
MVP

Well, it would make the Brandon Marshall/Martellus Bennett Antics look tame by comparison.

Did he ever find a helmet?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Wulfy - the SECOND the Raiders cut him and Pats signed him - The helmet fit like a glove - like a long lost friend

And he looked awesome there

I think they played the Raiders - who were looking like a dumpster fire going into that Year (overperformed dumpster fire though)

The sexual assault charge? He didn't plan that and the other antics only made it seem worse (If that is even possible as it is inherently terrible in its own right)

My guess is that he winds up in Seattle or Tampa Bay - or Dallas
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Whomever is willing to take the short term PR Hit - will get a great player

Shades of T. Mathieu

Or Chapman in baseball - Yanks got him for basically free - Lots of How could they in the Press - He goes out and performs - Cubs deal a GREAT prospect to get him for stretch run. - Chapman the player stayed pretty constant
UOK
Site Admin

Just remind yourself that even Belichick, Brady, and the Pats PR-machine couldn't handle AB's mania. They dealt with Tebow with more patience.

AB is not Brandon Marshall, and Brandon Marshall was merely eccentric. AB is more likely closer to being unhinged. You can't really control that kind of distraction.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am Just remind yourself that even Belichick, Brady, and the Pats PR-machine couldn't handle AB's mania. They dealt with Tebow with more patience.

AB is not Brandon Marshall, and Brandon Marshall was merely eccentric. AB is more likely closer to being unhinged. You can't really control that kind of distraction.
I don't think that AB is a stupid person. Nuts? Yea, probably, whatever that means...he's got major narcissistic and anger issues. But, I think now that he's been bounced from the league, he's received his wakeup call. He had not yet recieved that wakeup call in Oak or NE. Maybe he can overcome his worst instincts now that he knows his career, and all that goes with it, are so obviously behind him if he can't. Since he isn't a stupid person, he must know this.

Doesn't make it a slam dunk or anything, his mental issues could simply be so out of control that he can't walk the line he needs to walk. That would actually be really sad IMO, he shouldn't be mocked for his issues as they appear to be straight up mental and treatable.

Anyhow, seems like a very low risk move to me. We bring him in, see how he behaves, and have a quick trigger if he's still a giant doucher. But the upside is pretty massive isn't it? ARob/ABrown/AMiller trio would be damn good.

As Rich said, this reminds me very much of the TO situation when the Eagles took him, and he practically carried that team to a super bowl appearance.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am Just remind yourself that even Belichick, Brady, and the Pats PR-machine couldn't handle AB's mania. They dealt with Tebow with more patience.

I don't think that AB is a stupid person. Nuts? Yea, probably, whatever that means...he's got major narcissistic and anger issues. But, I think now that he's been bounced from the league, he's received his wakeup call. He had not yet recieved that wakeup call in Oak or NE. Maybe he can overcome his worst instincts now that he knows his career, and all that goes with it, are so obviously behind him if he can't. Since he isn't a stupid person, he must know this.

Doesn't make it a slam dunk or anything, his mental issues could simply be so out of control that he can't walk the line he needs to walk. That would actually be really sad IMO, he shouldn't be mocked for his issues as they appear to be straight up mental and treatable.

Anyhow, seems like a very low risk move to me. We bring him in, see how he behaves, and have a quick trigger if he's still a giant doucher. But the upside is pretty massive isn't it? ARob/ABrown/AMiller trio would be damn good.

As Rich said, this reminds me very much of the TO situation when the Eagles took him, and he practically carried that team to a super bowl appearance.
AB is exceptionally talented, there's no denying that, but it's difficult to bring him into a situation like the Bears where you're on a knife's edge with your quarterback situation, plus I don't know if Nagy's offense would give AB the ball enough.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Fair points, I'd prefer to take the risk personally, but I see why people might feel differently. You gotta take some chances to win IMO.
wab
Mod

Bears fans are livid with Roquan for losing an ipad, taking a game off to get his mind right, and taking an ill timed photo.

Bears fans are still pissed at the recently deceased Cedric Benson for holding out over a decade ago.

Bears fans are still pissed at Lance Briggs for wrecking his Lambo.

Bears fans are still upset with Todd Sauerbrun for being too cocky as a rookie in 1995.

And we think AB is a good idea?.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 am Fair points, I'd prefer to take the risk personally, but I see why people might feel differently. You gotta take some chances to win IMO.
taking chances and risks are involved in building a winning team ... but you have to have the team mindset to handle it and actually succeed

think of the old time fun Raider teams, where Al Davis would take everyone's rejects and busts who somehow were able to quell their crazy enough to be a key part of some Championship runs, which was a credit to their coaches

with the whole social media things nowadays i don't think that could happen now ... things that were ignored as a "boys will be boys" thing then would be all over the internet now, as Brown has found out

and as @UOK pointed out, if Belichick and the Patriots kick you to the curb after just a short time, there probably is no hope and I don't think the Bears have it within them to succeed where the Patriots couldn't
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm Bears fans are livid with Roquan for losing an ipad, taking a game off to get his mind right, and taking an ill timed photo.

Bears fans are still pissed at the recently deceased Cedric Benson for holding out over a decade ago.

Bears fans are still upset with Todd Sauerbrun for being too cocky as a rookie in 1995.

You generalize WAAAAAY too much. Many Bears fans didn't give a crap about Roquans iPad, a majority I'd say. Or Benson's holdout. Or Briggs Lambo. The minority that actually was pissed about that stuff probably would be pissed about AB also, just guessing.

And "we" don't think AB is a good idea, so far it looks like only Rich and I think it's a good idea. Every other poster on this thread is opposed to it. Odd post. Has moderating a Bears board made you hate Bears fans? I kinda get that lol...
Wounded Bear
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm Bears fans are livid with Roquan for losing an ipad, taking a game off to get his mind right, and taking an ill timed photo.

Which just shows how stupid Bear fans can truly be.

I wouldn’t make decisions based on offending easily offended people, especially if you truly believe that the move would make the team markedly better.

These players are young men with a lot of money. That’s an equation for real stupid things to happen. If the player makes mistakes, but then shows he’s contrite, I’d forgive him and give him a second chance.

I’m not exactly a religious guy, but people tend to love a good “prodigal son” story. Is AB capable of that? I don’t know, but I’d be willing to talk to him to see where he’s at.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

NOT this we...

Good post.

The very idea of AB as a Bear is: :puke: