Kyle Long posts "Be You" on Twitter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Apparently now that he's had time to think on it, he's pissed off that we essentially cut him at halftime of the Raiders game. He's been tweeting that he'd return to the Bears if there was a staff change...yikes.
Xee
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:32 am Apparently now that he's had time to think on it, he's pissed off that we essentially cut him at halftime of the Raiders game. He's been tweeting that he'd return to the Bears if there was a staff change...yikes.
I think that's a misunderstanding of what he wrote. He said it would take a staffing change for him to be back because the current staff is who fired him.

Really though, who here would argue that the Bears made the wrong decision? He was a soldier but he suffered a lot of injuries and it definitely showed. Taking that rookie's helmet off of him in training camp and beating him with it didn't help him either.

Either way, not sure he's posting about this now. He said in the same series of posts that be Bears have always done right by him so why try and stir shit up now?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think he's getting a little bitchy about it. He keeps saying "at halftime". He's clearly put off by that.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

After watching Olin Kreutz do an interview with Bears Barroom last week, I'd have to think long and hard if I would want to block for Nagy. The guy doesn't even know what his run scheme is. We're going in to year 3 and still have no clue what it is.... from the top down.
dplank
Hall of Famer

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:13 pm After watching Olin Kreutz do an interview with Bears Barroom last week, I'd have to think long and hard if I would want to block for Nagy. The guy doesn't even know what his run scheme is. We're going in to year 3 and still have no clue what it is.... from the top down.
I think Bill Lazor is going to help a lot in this regard.
UOK
Site Admin

I think he's just bitter about how his career went (injuries) and how it ended (getting injured). There's obviously a lot we don't and may never know about the behind-closed-doors stuff, but you can't say all this romantic "Bear for life" stuff and then out of the other side of your mouth shit on the team for cutting an oft-injured player.

edit: Sounds like it's not so much hurt feelings or whatever, just "closed book" kind of thing.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:41 pm
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:13 pm After watching Olin Kreutz do an interview with Bears Barroom last week, I'd have to think long and hard if I would want to block for Nagy. The guy doesn't even know what his run scheme is. We're going in to year 3 and still have no clue what it is.... from the top down.
I really hope so. Cohen's been saying good things about Lazors influence on the offense so far.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Ummm, didn't they already have a staff change? I mean they did dump the OL coach, and wouldn't the question whether to play him going forward have been on that OL coach? :?:
G08
Hall of Famer

He will, Juan Castillo too.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm Ummm, didn't they already have a staff change? I mean they did dump the OL coach, and wouldn't the question whether to play him going forward have been on that OL coach? :?:
He tweeted "Be You", that's clearly a swipe at Matt Nagy.
Xee
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up about that podcast, @AZ_Bearfan. I heard Kreutz recently on Hoge and Jahns but didn't hear him say much about Nagy that I can recall. Going to download that episode now and give it a listen.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am Really though, who here would argue that the Bears made the wrong decision?
LOL
I would argue that they were grossly negligent for not having a serious replacement plan 2 yrs earlier.

However, this is also true.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 am
Xee wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am Really though, who here would argue that the Bears made the wrong decision?
LOL
I would argue that they were grossly negligent for not having a serious replacement plan 2 yrs earlier.

However, this is also true.
I think it comes back to Nagy just doesn't want to run the ball and has even said he wasn't brought here to run the I formation. In the pod @AZ_Bearfan mentioned, Kreutz told a similar story about 2010. At the end of the 2009 he went to Lovie and told him that the o-line sucks and that they need some help. Lovie told him not to worry and that they would take care of it. Then, leading up the 2010 season they hold true to their word and sign . . . Frank Omiyale. Meanwhile they throw a barrel full of cash at Julius Peppers to sign him despite already having a strong defense.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee...this is precisely my problem with this offseason and the point I've been making all off season about our OL. Frank Omiyale is Ifedi, and Peppers is Quinn. Same shit, different decade. We don't value our OL, never have!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Different decade stuff is so, so, so dumb as a Tool of evaluation here

Mark Hatley and George McCaskey literally are not walking through that door.

The Frank Omiyale comp is bad too - German is better than that - especially as to Guard (It's Tackle he can't play)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I thought that was all on Mitch - but only when Daniels plays Center?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 am
The Frank Omiyale comp is bad too - German is better than that - especially as to Guard (It's Tackle he can't play)
I think Ifedi will be better than Omiyale, too.
But, in terms of resource, they paid more for Omiyale - which becomes a lot more, when you factor in salary cap growth since 2010.

I think it's still fair to say they're both similar examples of the Bears going cheap on an obvious OL need.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 am Different decade stuff is so, so, so dumb as a Tool of evaluation here

I wasn't comparing the actual players but instead the act of a HC deciding his area of focus and giving little priority to others.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 am
I think Ifedi will be better than Omiyale, too.
But, in terms of resource, they paid more for Omiyale - which becomes a lot more, when you factor in salary cap growth since 2010.

I think it's still fair to say they're both similar examples of the Bears going cheap on an obvious OL need.
Fair enough - Though when its pointed out that we spent a good amount of resources on Whitehair, Massie, Leno, and Daniels - that doesn't matter or its noted that they could be upgraded.

I can only imagine that since the distant past matters so, so much to current team construction - that they fact were paid our OL in the 1920s so little - HAS to grate at people

I mean we were expecting two way play too! So halve that salary!!!!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:03 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 am Different decade stuff is so, so, so dumb as a Tool of evaluation here

I wasn't comparing the actual players but instead the act of a HC deciding his area of focus and giving little priority to others.

Do you mean GM not HC?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rich, dude, if you need a few bucks to afford your meds or something just PM me....you've really gone off the troll rails.

Please, for the good of all posters here, read a quick article on figurative language and how it can be used to illustrate another point.

I'm not comparing Omiyale the player and Ifedi the player, I have no idea how they compare. I sure hope Ifedi will be better, Omiyale was very inconsistent. Nor was I comparing Quinn the player to Peppers the player. What I was doing was comparing a cap spend decision, in a pretty vague sense, simply noting another data point where the Bears chose to bolster the Defense instead of the OL in an offseason where OL was a definite need. And tying that thought back to the "30 years of running the ball futility" thread, so yea the decision is relevant to that discussion as it's in that same time frame.

That's all, any other random inferences you want to make are not correct.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I also saw where he posted he didn’t retire he was fired. It appears he’s rather upset about the whole situation
G08
Hall of Famer

To be fair, a lot of these offensive minded coaches haven't played or don't know the full gamut when it comes to protection schemes or run schemes (especially when it comes to teaching it). They rely a TON on their offensive line coaches in that regard. If you don't have the right pairing, you're fucked.

To me, this is why elite play callers and designers are worth their weight in gold.

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 am
To be fair, a lot of these offensive minded coaches haven't played or don't know the full gamut when it comes to protection schemes or run schemes (especially when it comes to teaching it). They rely a TON on their offensive line coaches in that regard. If you don't have the right pairing, you're fucked.

To me, this is why elite play callers and designers are worth their weight in gold.
Yea I think you're right on here. We all put a lot of stock in Harry Heistand rescuing our OL a few years ago because he had such a great pedigree. But HH and Nagy are polar opposites, I think they were an awful pairing. Doesn't mean HH can't coach OL anymore, but he wasn't meshing with Nagy's offense. I think Lazor/Castillo are a much better match for what Nagy wants to do. Let's hope so!
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Good posts G08 and DP. Would either of you care to break it down on why Lazor/Castillo is a better fit than Heistand ?
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 am Good posts G08 and DP. Would either of you care to break it down on why Lazor/Castillo is a better fit than Heistand ?
Castillo has been in this scheme/offensive system longer than Nagy has. Dude was with Andy Reid from 1999 through 2010 coaching offensive line, so he has skins on the wall (he transitioned to defensive coordinator for the Eagles in 2011 and 2012).

While we have made some tweaks and changes to the scheme, the protections and run schemes should remain the same at the core of the offense. I don't think this guarantees success, but holy hell the amount of missed assignments last year almost caused me to blow an aneurysm. Just a pure dog-shit showing from that group as a whole, and I'm of the opinion there are some talented offensive lineman on the roster.

Check this video out, it gives some great insight into the run game and how it is scouted/schemed/taught:

dplank
Hall of Famer

I kinda like Albert Breer as an NFL writer...he had this to say when we hired Lazor and it really resonated with me for some reason.
The marriage of Bill Lazor and the Bears will be interesting—Lazor’s known for simplifying scheme for players, weaponizing tempo and finding a way to get guys playing fast. With a quarterback, in Mitch Trubisky, who often seems to think too much on the field, injecting that influence into Matt Nagy’s offense could be a godsend.
I coupled that thought with the fact that Joe Mixon won the rushing title with Lazor calling the plays, so he has to have some good chops in the run game as that team wasn't super talented up front. Tempo and mixing up your snap count is also a natural advantage you can give to your OL. If the D times your snaps you lose that advantage. Too frequently last year, for whatever the reason, we were rushed to snap the ball against the clock and that gives the defense a 'get off' advantage.

Regarding Castiillo, that one is more obvious - it's just his time in Philly running a very similar offense. Their blocking always seemed pretty decent and they ran the ball fairly well (just going by fleeting memory and limited game watching here, haven't looked at stats). It seems a natural fit with Nagy, which should help. I don't think it overcomes our talent issues up front, but improvement would be nice.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Personally, I think this is all a load of crap. You can't "fire" a player from football. If the Bears didn't want him, they'd simply cut him and Kyle would be able to move to whatever team he wished. The Bears couldn't "stop" him from pursuing other offers. Also, the decision NOT to play Kyle wouldn't have been the GM's or Nagy's. That decision would rest with the medical staff and the OL coach I would think. So Kyle's animus against Nagy, if that's what this is, is wholly unwarranted.

I think this is more of a player who had beat down with injuries the last few years and decided to retire. And now with football season approaching, he finds that he's missing the game. A team can NOT fire a player and exclude him from football altogether.

As to scheme fit and the problems with Heistandt, I think that stems from the fact that Heistandt was more of a power football OL coach. Look at Quenton Nelson. I believe and said it back before the season, that Heistandt was trying to incorporate elements of BOTH a power scheme and a zone scheme and the whole thing became bogged down in its complexity. I think that Castillo is more strictly a zone guy and that he'll simply the scheme to make it easier on the linemen so they don't have to think so much.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:04 pm Rich, dude, if you need a few bucks to afford your meds or something just PM me....you've really gone off the troll rails.

Please, for the good of all posters here, read a quick article on figurative language and how it can be used to illustrate another point.

I'm not comparing Omiyale the player and Ifedi the player, I have no idea how they compare. I sure hope Ifedi will be better, Omiyale was very inconsistent. Nor was I comparing Quinn the player to Peppers the player. What I was doing was comparing a cap spend decision, in a pretty vague sense, simply noting another data point where the Bears chose to bolster the Defense instead of the OL in an offseason where OL was a definite need. And tying that thought back to the "30 years of running the ball futility" thread, so yea the decision is relevant to that discussion as it's in that same time frame.

That's all, any other random inferences you want to make are not correct.

It's just not a great comparison across the board - for any number of reasons

Quinn actually replaced Floyd's potential Cap Hit number - but it's just not super helpful overall

It wasn't like someone made you say Omiyale was German here - you said it. I commented on that bad comment.

Shades of Taylor Gabriel being tremendous or whatever nonsense that was.

The 30 Year thing is so, so, so dumb though. It's just bad and I wish you'd stop
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 am
G08 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 am

Yea I think you're right on here. We all put a lot of stock in Harry Heistand rescuing our OL a few years ago because he had such a great pedigree. But HH and Nagy are polar opposites, I think they were an awful pairing. Doesn't mean HH can't coach OL anymore, but he wasn't meshing with Nagy's offense. I think Lazor/Castillo are a much better match for what Nagy wants to do. Let's hope so!
Now this is a solid post I can co-sign