Chicago Bears Rumors: Team has “plans” for Adam Shaheen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

https://dawindycity.com/2020/06/18/chic ... m-shaheen/

It sounds like the Chicago Bears want Adam Shaheen to stick around.
On Wednesday afternoon, the Chicago Bears made many of their coaches available to the media via zoom. Both quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and offensive line coach Juan Castillo delivered some great comments and displayed their passion for the game. Bears Twitter could feel the excitement in their voices.

Then tight ends coach Clancy Barone threw a collective wet blanket on the entire situation with his comments regarding the much-maligned Adam Shaheen.

Perhaps the only comments that would have been more shocking and disappointing to Chicagoans are “Jim Boylen is the right man for the job.” However, a close second would most certainly be something like “Adam Shaheen has a bright future and we have plans for him in this offense.”

Welp — it turns out that is exactly hat Barone said during his Zoom interview. It’s extremely difficult to try to rationalize why the organization would feel this way. Since the end of last season, all signs have pointed to the Bears parting ways with the former second-round pick who has failed to live up to expectations.

Whether it was him essentially being a healthy scratch for nearly the last half of the season or the fact that the Bears are overloaded with tight ends and Shaheen seemed like one of the more logical choices to be released, most fans expected him to be released.

But now it seems like the organization has had a change of heart. Again, though, the question is why? What could Shaheen have possibly demonstrated over the last few months that have left Barone with the impression that he still has a bright future? Which of his 26 receptions over the last three years did it?

In three years he has taken 24, 15, and 16 percent of the snaps respectively. He has had great difficulty getting and staying on the field, but the reality is even when he has been, it’s not as if he’s flashed brilliance.

So it strains the imagination a bit to understand what plans the Bears could have for Shaheen next season that don’t involve using his salary on another player after he’s released. But we shall see.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Meh, I'm not put off by it. He was a high draft choice who's been injury riddled. If we're ok giving Mitch another chance after being one of the worst QB's in the league last year, I'm ok giving another high draft choice a last chance also, especially considering his failure has been primarily injury related.

Just like Mitch, where our best scenario is he magically turns his career around and beats out Foles and becomes a true franchise QB - the best scenario for Shaheen is he stays healthy and finally puts it all together and has a great year himself. No harm at this point in seeing that through.

I don't see either of these guys turning their careers around frankly, but why not try?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Perhaps it's simply because the Bears are getting reports back that Shaheen is finally healthy. It was clear even in games that he played, that he simply wasn't healthy. At times, it seemed like he was moving around like Ditka.... Not as Mike used to be, but as he is now at 80 years old. And that's being generous to Shaheen.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Press Conferences don't matter

Zoom didn't change that
UOK
Site Admin

The "plan" is to release him once nobody trades a conditional seventh.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm The "plan" is to release him once nobody trades a conditional seventh.
I think that’s what will happen but my thinking is to get him in camp an see what happens. If health and thats held him back no harm in seeing if he can shake the injury bug and do something. I don’t think he old help the cap that much by sending him to the wood chipper.

Yogi did you bring the wood chipper over from the old place??
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'm in the minority, but sporadic QB play combined with nagging injuries don't make me want to condemn Shaheen. I've seen flashes when he has a favorable matchup and the QB looks for him. He does need to stay on the field, but there isn't as much pressure for him to excel as a high top 10 pick. He does need to show he can contribute more to earn another contract, but when he does make it happen, even if its just 1 or 2 years, I think he'll be as good as any of the 2nd tier TE's out there.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have plans for lots of junk in my garage. They keep rusting and getting up in the garbage.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bears' plans for Shaheen:

The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Maybe he's a really good cook and can help out in the kitchen.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If I am selling a car am I going to say it’s a piece of crap?
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:23 pm If I am selling a car am I going to say it’s a piece of crap?
....or....if someone offers you a shitty price for your car, do you just keep it and fix it up?
IE
Hall of Famer

I'll bet anyone a cold 6-pack he doesn't play a snap for the Bears in '20 regular season.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Meh. As usual, actions speak louder than words and Pace's actions tell me the "plan" for Shaheen doesn't include playing 2020 with the Bears.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm The "plan" is to release him once nobody trades a conditional seventh.
:thumbsup:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:25 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:23 pm If I am selling a car am I going to say it’s a piece of crap?
....or....if someone offers you a shitty price for your car, do you just keep it and fix it up?

The City (NFL) has a law (Roster limit) that you can only have so many rusted out pieces of shit (Shaheen) in your yard though
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm

The City (NFL) has a law (Roster limit) that you can only have so many rusted out pieces of shit (Shaheen) in your yard though
Given the very strong likelihood that the NFL adds additional Practice Squad spots to account for trying to play through a pandemic, I would not be surprised if Shaheen ends up landing there.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Richie
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:42 pm Perhaps it's simply because the Bears are getting reports back that Shaheen is finally healthy. It was clear even in games that he played, that he simply wasn't healthy.
I'm confused. Finally healthy?

Of course, he's healthy. There's no football being played. It's the off-season.

He gets injured when he's playing football. Which, unfortunately, he has to do in order to contribute to a football team.

If he never had to play football he would be healthy all of the time.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Depends on if it is even capable of running again. lol And sometimes, you've waited to long and there's simply no way to get rid of it or fix it up:

:-P
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:42 pm Perhaps it's simply because the Bears are getting reports back that Shaheen is finally healthy. It was clear even in games that he played, that he simply wasn't healthy.
I'm confused. Finally healthy?

Of course, he's healthy. There's no football being played. It's the off-season.

He gets injured when he's playing football. Which, unfortunately, he has to do in order to contribute to a football team.

If he never had to play football he would be healthy all of the time.
Not sure that I've ever seen him healthy. He certainly didn't seem so at the start of last season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Smokescreen. They can't bad mouth him at this point if they want to trade him. He is not top 3 on this team at the moment. IMO he is done with this team, he has no value at this moment.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:45 pm he has no value at this moment.
That doesn't change two months from now

It's just a dumb throw away Presser comment

Read: It was a presser comment
spudbear
MVP

Don't think he could be PS eligilble as he's played too much in games.

I'm going to go the kool-aid route and say he'll probably get a chance during TC. He knows the offense and he does have history with Mitch. Who knows, Foles may take pity on him and work with him. Shaheen could also get some tips from Graham on how to stay away from injuries.

He's a sunk cost so the Bears staff can see if he's worth a roster spot. Really late bloomer?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

I still say you all could be vast;y underrating Shaheen. He could have been doing a lot of studying, training, and honing his craft while out with an injury.

How do any of you know he wouldn't be a HUGE asset to the kitchen staff?
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:05 pm I still say you all could be vast;y underrating Shaheen. He could have been doing a lot of studying, training, and honing his craft while out with an injury.

How do any of you know he wouldn't be a HUGE asset to the kitchen staff?
Boom

And with Shaheen - you can bet it will be all White Sauce on the menu
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 pm Don't think he could be PS eligilble as he's played too much in games.
I don't think that's a limitation anymore in the New CBA. I don't think the new CBA has a year requirement to the Practice Squad anymore. That's why Bray would once again be eligible for our practice squad.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Doesn't matter what they say. What matters is what they do.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm
spudbear wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 pm Don't think he could be PS eligilble as he's played too much in games.
I don't think that's a limitation anymore in the New CBA. I don't think the new CBA has a year requirement to the Practice Squad anymore. That's why Bray would once again be eligible for our practice squad.
Good call

Anyone got an article with more on this? Always intriguing to me
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:54 pm
Article 33, Section 4 of the CBA explains who is eligible to join the practice squad:

Beginning in the 2020 League Year, the Practice Squad shall consist of the following players: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s); (iii) a maximum of four free agent players per Club who have earned no more than two Accrued Seasons, with those four players to have no limitation as to the number of games on the game day Active List in either of those seasons; and (iv) a maximum of two free agent players per Club with no limitations as to their number of earned Accrued Seasons; provided, however, that the NFL shall increase the maximum number of players in category (iv) above from two players to four players for the 2022-30 League Years.
I think Shaheen has 3 Accrued Seasons, with 1 being 13 games.
So he would only qualify for the 2 (new this year) slots with no limitations.

Debatable whether he's even worth one of those.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My guess... They brought in Clancy Barone and told him if he could make lemonade out of Adam Shaheen, it would be a HUGE feather in his cap. As egotistical NFL coaches tend to do, he's embraced the challenge. That includes talking his key student up in press conferences.

I hope most of us (including me) are dreadfully wrong about Shaheen and he blooms out of nowhere and manages to stay healthy. However, at this point as many have said, talk means zero. We've heard that song before about many other players who flopped.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.