NFL replay - 2011 vs Broncos

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Painful game, but what kept my interest was some of the players. Khalil Bell. He was a flash in the pan. Averaged 4.3 yds per on 79 carries. Henry Melton. Matt Toeina. Stephen Paea. Craig Steltz. Chauncey Davis (had a cup of coffee).

Strange game and the effin Marion Barber not only doesn't go out of bounds late in the 4th, but he fumbles in OT. Hated him, mainly because he was an ex-Cowboy.

Chris Conte. Zack Bowman. Avg names/players, avg year, 8-8.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Im not sure how to take this post Otis !??
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ah yes, the Tebow game that made us miss the playoffs. I'll never forgive Marion Barber for running out of bounds - game was over we should have just taken a knee...
Xee
Site Admin

Only memorable Broncos game for me was in '07. The only reason it sticks out is I remember watching Adrian Peterson getting stood up just short of the goal line and then the o-line came and pushed him through. Time just froze for me during that moment and I remember going crazy when he got that TD. I just looked up the highlights for the game and saw that Hester also returned two punts for touchdowns. Funny how I completely forgot about those but remembered Peterson's TD. lol

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ahhhhh, the joy of remember old mid/low tier Bears...this is a thread made for Wulfy.

Adrien "Fraggle Rock" Peterson, James Allen, Raymont "Ultraback" Harris, Brad "The colonel" Muster...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:55 am Ah yes, the Tebow game that made us miss the playoffs. I'll never forgive Marion Barber for running out of bounds - game was over we should have just taken a knee...
Amen
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am Only memorable Broncos game for me was in '07. The only reason it sticks out is I remember watching Adrian Peterson getting stood up just short of the goal line and then the o-line came and pushed him through. Time just froze for me during that moment and I remember going crazy when he got that TD. I just looked up the highlights for the game and saw that Hester also returned two punts for touchdowns. Funny how I completely forgot about those but remembered Peterson's TD. lol

I was at that game. It was my oldest's first Bears game. He was 15 and my buddy had him drinking some Polish/Russian, some ethnic liquor while standing in line for the bathroom. He came back to the tailgate and thought he was pretty cool. Vaschnuka? It was a helluva game to be at. One of Hester' s returns, he lept over Todd Sauerbrun and took it in.

Rich55, just bored and amazed I found this channel surfing. It was really an awful game and the Bears made Tebow look like the Savior.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Totally agree Otis

Just not my best memory:)
Richie
MVP

SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUTUP

THIS GAME NEVER HAPPENED.

LALALALALA

I CANNOT HEAR YOU.

LALALALALALA
Richie
MVP

BTW, I will always stand by my statement that the pre Cutler/Forte injury 2011 Chicago Bears was the best team the organization had since the 80's.

That team was playing fantastically and just starting to get really hot at the right time.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Until now!
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
spudbear
MVP

Richie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:17 am BTW, I will always stand by my statement that the pre Cutler/Forte injury 2011 Chicago Bears was the best team the organization had since the 80's.

That team was playing fantastically and just starting to get really hot at the right time.
That Barber screw-up still gets me a little rankled. I still use a form of "Bears2010" for some passwords as that was the last gasp at playoff/SB aspirations. I'm not counting double doink. Was the Bears OL from 2010/2011 the last time the Bears had something resembling decent?

2010: Omiyale, Chrissy Williams, Kreutz, Garza, J'Webb
2011: Lance Louis, Chrissy Williams, Garza, Chris Spencer, J'Webb

Difficult to say if the 2011 team was better given that collection of jamokes on the OL. Both Louis and Webb were 7th rd picks, the Chris's were subpar (1st rounder Williams was about to be let go) and then gimpy kneed Garza moved to C, without Ollie to help him. No wonder Cutler and Forte got banged up.

I'd go a few more years on the OL but I just finished lunch and I'd like to keep it down. :(
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

One shitty memory deserves another: Bears v. Broncos 1987 Monday Night:

Man, was Willie Gault fast or what. I had forgotten.

That Neal Anderson was pretty good too.

And what can you say about Walter Payton?

Sure wish that McMahon could stay healthy. Here you saw it all from him in one game--what he could do when healthy and what happened when he played injured.

This was the game that John Elway earned my respect. Damn him. lol
Xee
Site Admin

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:15 pmMan, was Willie Gault fast or what. I had forgotten.
Dude supposedly ran a 4.27 when he was 47. Probably is still faster than a lot of the receivers playing now.
Richie
MVP

spudbear wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:30 pm
Richie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:17 am BTW, I will always stand by my statement that the pre Cutler/Forte injury 2011 Chicago Bears was the best team the organization had since the 80's.

That Barber screw-up still gets me a little rankled. I still use a form of "Bears2010" for some passwords as that was the last gasp at playoff/SB aspirations. I'm not counting double doink. Was the Bears OL from 2010/2011 the last time the Bears had something resembling decent?

2010: Omiyale, Chrissy Williams, Kreutz, Garza, J'Webb
2011: Lance Louis, Chrissy Williams, Garza, Chris Spencer, J'Webb

Difficult to say if the 2011 team was better given that collection of jamokes on the OL. Both Louis and Webb were 7th rd picks, the Chris's were subpar (1st rounder Williams was about to be let go) and then gimpy kneed Garza moved to C, without Ollie to help him. No wonder Cutler and Forte got banged up.

I'd go a few more years on the OL but I just finished lunch and I'd like to keep it down. :(
The Denver game is the only game I cannot bring myself to watch on the free game pass. It still hurts. I was with my uncle watching it and they were up 10-0 with two minutes left. Tebow and Denver (I swear) I think had less than 100 yards of offense at that point. We both look at each other and go "Okay, if Tebow wins this one. He may really have god rooting for him." We both laughed out loud. Oh, it was a funny joke........ until it wasn't.

That loss devastated me. Especially because I had ALREADY been so sick of Tebow mania. Then, his biggest miracle comes against US! PUKE.

Per 2011. I mean, if you just look at the corner that the team turned after they fell to 2-3 in that MNF game in Detroit that Cutler was lucky to walk out of. Martz finally stopped being so stubborn, adjusted, ran more than anyone in the league over the next 5 games, put Cutler in better situations, shorter drops, etc. The team reeled off 5 straight and averaged 30 PPG while doing so. The D was even better than the year prior in 2010 (after the Denver game they sort of gave up, understandably). The 2011 team finally had a really solid offense to compliment the elite D.

The team just seemed to be clicking, finally. 2nd year of Martz's offense and things were just going smooth. Both sides looked real good. I walked out of that game after we beat up on San Diego saying "I think we're going to the Super Bowl". Then, no joke, I get to my car in the lot and Bears fans are all yelling in the lot to each other about Cutler. The news broke immediately. That really, really hurt.

The way we lost to KC (hail mary at halftime) and then Denver was just horrible. That was a really bad year, man.
Richie
MVP

Xee wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:43 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:15 pmMan, was Willie Gault fast or what. I had forgotten.
Dude supposedly ran a 4.27 when he was 47. Probably is still faster than a lot of the receivers playing now.
Is there a link to that? Sounds like a bar room myth, IMO.
Xee
Site Admin

That's why I said supposedly. I read it in a Yahoo article a while back that didn't give any source, so definitely take it with a grain of salt. Just found it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/willie-gault ... --nfl.html
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

I wonder how he is doing now. Turns 60 this year.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Probably only runs a 4.4 now. lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Tebow was a Star though.....
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:15 pm One shitty memory deserves another: Bears v. Broncos 1987 Monday Night:

Man, was Willie Gault fast or what. I had forgotten.

That Neal Anderson was pretty good too.

And what can you say about Walter Payton?

Sure wish that McMahon could stay healthy. Here you saw it all from him in one game--what he could do when healthy and what happened when he played injured.

This was the game that John Elway earned my respect. Damn him. lol
The year that I started watching football. Seemed like Da Bears were our highlighted game every week (they must have had a bunch of close ones), so I ended up a Bears fan. If we weren't on, it was usually the Broncos, so they became my favourite AFC team. Was seriously hoping Da Bears would meet them in the Superbowl that year.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:23 pm
Xee wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:43 pm

I wouldn't put faith in it being totally precise, but it's not out of the question.

The most official time I could find for Gault was
At the 1983 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, Gault won the 60-yard high hurdles and the 60-yard dash with times of 6.98 and 6.18, respectively.
At that pace, that translates to a 4.12 40 (at 23). And for a shorter distance, your pace should be at least the same, if not faster.

He was often compared to, and narrowly lost races to, Darrell Green.
Green was in the news on February 16, 2010, his 50th birthday, for reportedly running a 4.43 second 40-yard dash.[21]
Here Gault claims a 4.40 40 at age 50 (but he obviously is backing up still being crazy fast)
https://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-be ... -at-age-50
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:03 am
Richie wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:23 pm

I wouldn't put faith in it being totally precise, but it's not out of the question.

The most official time I could find for Gault was
At the 1983 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, Gault won the 60-yard high hurdles and the 60-yard dash with times of 6.98 and 6.18, respectively.
At that pace, that translates to a 4.12 40 (at 23). And for a shorter distance, your pace should be at least the same, if not faster.

He was often compared to, and narrowly lost races to, Darrell Green.
Green was in the news on February 16, 2010, his 50th birthday, for reportedly running a 4.43 second 40-yard dash.[21]
Here Gault claims a 4.40 40 at age 50 (but he obviously is backing up still being crazy fast)
https://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-be ... -at-age-50
I'm sure he's was very fast relative to most human beings at that age. I just doubt he was blazing fast for an NFL player at that time.

And you can't pace out a 60 yard to a 40 yard dash like that. Yards 40 to 60 will be your fastest. 0-20 is slower than 20-40, etc. Not trying to nitpick but that should be pointed out.

I would say he was probably in the 4.4's and comparable to Green at that time. 4.27 would be alien at 47. I don't think Usain Bolt will even be at that level. Gault probably ran in the 4.2's during his playing days. Would be my guess. About as fast as it gets.