Who starts at QB in week 1 of the regular season?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Which QB starts week 1 of the regular season?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:35 pm

Nick Foles
13%
Mitch Trubisky
87%

Total votes: 23
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Note that this is NOT your opinion of who you think SHOULD start. It's who you think WILL start.

Answer the poll and explain your answer.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

My answer... Mitch Trubisky.

Here's why...
1. The best possible outcome for the Bears and Ryan Pace is for Trubisky to blossom. Pace will ensure that Biscuit gets one more chance.
2. In almost every case when Foles was the week 1 starter, he failed for one reason or another.
3. Foles has been wildly successful coming off the bench. Bears will put him in that position again.
4. There's no more perfect guy to help a young starter, even to his own detriment. Foles will get the chance to do that again.
5. Foles isn't a guy who has ever lasted 16 games. No point in expecting him to here. Especially with our mediocre OTs.

Look for it to be 10's show when the season begins. Foles makes his appearance later.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Wounded Bear
MVP

My prediction:

Whoever starts the season will be eventually benched in favor of the other QB. Regardless of who is the QB, both QBs will suck because we have done little to improve our offensive line talent. To be clear, the QBs will suck because our offensive line sucks.

It’s harsh, I know, and I honestly hope I am wrong, but that’s probably what’s going to happen.....and hopefully Ryan Pace loses his job because of it.

This last draft was loaded with A ton of offensive line talent which will make the Chicago Bears 2020 draft one of the dumbest drafts ever.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:42 pm My answer... Mitch Trubisky.

Here's why...
1. The best possible outcome for the Bears and Ryan Pace is for Trubisky to blossom. Pace will ensure that Biscuit gets one more chance.
2. In almost every case when Foles was the week 1 starter, he failed for one reason or another.
3. Foles has been wildly successful coming off the bench. Bears will put him in that position again.
4. There's no more perfect guy to help a young starter, even to his own detriment. Foles will get the chance to do that again.
5. Foles isn't a guy who has ever lasted 16 games. No point in expecting him to here. Especially with our mediocre OTs.

Look for it to be 10's show when the season begins. Foles makes his appearance later.
I think that's a pretty good answer.

I'd add that
Mitch doing poorly then getting the hook for Foles makes for more of a clean break opportunity in the offseason, than if Foles starts, he gets the hook, then Mitch comes in and does about the same/slightly better/gets off to a slow start, but looks like he's improving at the end.

You absolutely don't want to end the season saying "well, Mitch didn't perform like we need him to, but I want to see more".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Mitch. He'll never really have the touch I'd like to see -but he'll perform fine until he encounters a mean defensive coordinator who will work hard to fool him (and succeed).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I also went with Trubisky and not because that's what I want, it's just what I think will happen. I haven't read through the other responses yet so if these are repetitive I apologize, but these are the reasons why I think Trubisky starts the season as our starter. I think Foles takes over after a few games.

1. Nagy and Pace want Trubisky to win this job, badly. If it's anywhere close during camp, Trubisky gets the nod.
2. Trubisky is a "practice warrior". He's got all the physical tools to be a great player, and he's a hard worker, and he's "chalkboard smart". What he isn't, is field smart and he can't make snap, rushed decisions under pressure. This problem isn't exposed so much in practice, but in games it is everything.
3. Foles history as a backup is excellent, I think that the coaching staff can be certain that going with Mitch first won't have any negative impact on Foles whatsoever, in fact it might even improve his performance! I generally don't buy that very short data/trend that Foles can only succeed by coming in as a backup, poor logic there IMO, but the coaches CAN count on the fact that Foles is a pro's pro who will handle it great and won't miss a beat if he has to come in off the bench. Not every QB has that ability. Mitch might also, but it's an unknown at this point.
4. System time and Covid. I know Foles has operated in similar offense before so he comes semi acclimated to the system, but it's not exactly the same and not what he was running most recently. Mitch has a leg up as this is his 3rd year in the same system, so he should get the jump on Foles early in camp. And with Covid, there's a strong chance camp will be shortened/altered as will preseason games - giving Foles less of a chance to win the job. This couples with #1, as I think it's Mitch's job to lose.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Side note....as a board we should all chip in and put Vegas money on Mitch winning the job. Last odds I saw were:

Nick Foles -300
Mitch Trubisky +200

We all seem to think Trubisky is going to be the starter week 1, and I believe we're right and that Vegas isn't seeing everything that we see as people who obsess over this shit. If we all chip in $50 or something, we could put a 1K bet on Trubisky at 2x!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So far it's a clean sweep by Mitchell. But I'm going to double down and say not only is he the week one starter, but he starts every game barring an injury. The team NEEDS him to take control of the situation. I think he is going to come out and statistically fall in the 12 range of starting NFL QBs as far as completion percentage and yards per pass. I think he will be closer to 18 in yards per game because Nagy (with influence from the new coaches on offense) will have a shift to run more and he won't be passing the ball as much.

I'll double down on that and say he gets a new contract from the Bears, but it clearly won't be a top dollar contract.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 am not only is he the week one starter, but he starts every game barring an injury.

I'll double down on that and say he gets a new contract from the Bears, but it clearly won't be a top dollar contract.
:o

I ain't chippin in on those bets
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am going with 10. He will not WIN the job, it will be handed to him after a glorified QB competition. As said previously, he needs to be given the chance to succeed for Pace's sake. The Bears will try to establish him as a "franchise" QB. He will perform adequately but by mid season his true colors will come through and it will be realized he is average. This will be the time they go away from him and give Foles the reins.
Fumblebuck
MVP

Mitch starts for 2 reasons. Offseason circumstances and we open against the Lions.

That said, after 40 starts, 1300 attempts, thousands of hours of study and practice the book is written on him. At least in this coaching staffs eyes, IMO. They will be looking for any opportunity to replace him. There maybe even some animosity towards him, if they believe their jobs are on the line.
wab
Mod

Mitch. I don't think he'll be given a long leash, but I'm hoping he surprises us all.
docc
Head Coach

Likewise..Mitch. IF they keep him moving around..makes plays he CAN do well..then maybe he succeeds.. I watched Foles here in Tucson and would love to see him do well. But I think Mitch is the choice..for now.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mitch was babied since he got drafted. The real world just slapped him across the face. He's finally going to put the work in and win the job. I'll even go as far as to say he's the first Bear ever to throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ TD's in a season. And yes, I'm drinking.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:03 am Mitch was babied since he got drafted. The real world just slapped him across the face. He's finally going to put the work in and win the job. I'll even go as far as to say he's the first Bear ever to throw for 4,000+ yards and 30+ TD's in a season. And yes, I'm drinking.
I think you may have gone beyond drinking and may have picked up the crack pipe. But I'm not too far behind you. The only reason I don't think we see the 4000/30 stat line is I actually thing Nagy is going to adjust. He is going to rely on the RBs to be the first call and take the pressure off Mitch. Many of the things I read from our new offensive staff make me think it is a reality not a dream. If they do that and let him throw more off play-action and rolling out the pocket it should truly help him if the running game is real.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Mitchell Trubisky will start the season.

Mitch Trubisky is good kid. I will be strongly rooting for him in game one. But sadly I don't think he has what it take to even be an average starting NFL QB. But I hope he proves me wrong.

So, Trubisky starts game 1.He sucks again, thus at half time, Nagy inserts Foles. He does well and leads them to a comeback victory.

Game two exactly the same scenario.

Game three and on, it's Nick Foles. I don't expect Foles to be an All-Pro. But I feel on this team he can be a top 15 starter in the league, and that would be great.

16-0 baby. I'll stand by that until proven otherwise.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
EricTighe
MVP

I picked Trubisky.
Foles has never been more than a back up anywhere he has been. Yeah I know he had a magic post season once.

If Mitch doesn't turn it around we are screwed as a franchise for the next ten years
Richie
MVP

Mitch is a nice sheltered suburban boy who has never dealt with real adversity in his entire life. He has a nice mommy, a nice daddy, and a nice family. He should go be a nice boy. Meet a nice girl. Have a nice life with some nice kids. Lord knows he's off to one helluva financial start for a kid in his mid 20's. NFL football is not for him, though.

That being said. With all of this going on and talks of no pre-season? I am starting to believe that he starts off the season as the QB.

One way or another? Both QB's will start at some point, though. Even if the starter plays well? Neither have played a full season.